PDA

View Full Version : What To Make With...

BigHair77
10-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi all-
after reading so many different entries and fotki pages about homemade concoctions, I thought I would be big and bad and order some natural ingredients on my own. But now that I have the following (see below), I don't know what to make. Does anyone have any recipes or ideas to share?
I ordered:
raw shea butter .25 lb
golden jojoba oil 4 oz.
fractionated coconut oil 8 oz.
glycerin 4 oz.
sweet almond oil 4 oz.

I also have on hand, olive oil, honey, and essential peppermint oil and tea tree oil.

Thanks.

newmoe1
10-29-2007, 12:16 PM
you can get some aloe and make shealoe dont use the glycerin it makes it very sticky IMO there is a recipe in my fotki for the shealoe

moe

BigHair77
10-29-2007, 12:25 PM
you can get some aloe and make shealoe dont use the glycerin it makes it very sticky IMO there is a recipe in my fotki for the shealoe

moe
[/b]
Thanks! Do you think I could mix the oils or should I just stick with using one?

Renee79
10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
You can mix the oils to find the blend that works for you. Moe's shealoe recipe is the BOMB...definetly give that a try you will not be disappointed.

bellagirl
10-29-2007, 08:44 PM
^ also you can use the olive oil & honey as a deep conditioner. pick up some aloe vera gel from the drugstore or GNC and you're in business.

last week i mixed, aloe vera gel, sweet almond oil, glycerin(just a tiny amount), with a smidget of rosemary e.o & mango f.o. my hair loved it and later i used it to two strand twist my hair.

BigHair77
10-30-2007, 07:53 AM
^ also you can use the olive oil & honey as a deep conditioner. pick up some aloe vera gel from the drugstore or GNC and you're in business.

last week i mixed, aloe vera gel, sweet almond oil, glycerin(just a tiny amount), with a smidget of rosemary e.o & mango f.o. my hair loved it and later i used it to two strand twist my hair.
[/b]
Thanks Chi...any particular amounts of each item? or should I just wing it? also, if I refrigerate the mixture, how long will it last?

bellagirl
10-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks Chi...any particular amounts of each item? or should I just wing it? also, if I refrigerate the mixture, how long will it last?
[/b]

today i made some for my niece i remembered i forgot to tell you to add shea butter. sorry :blush:

these are estimates for a small portion (i never make large portions until i know how my hair will react):

2 1/2 tbsp - aloe vera gel
1 tbsp - shea butter (melt in microwave)
1 tsp - almond oil (your preference)
1/2 tsp - glycerin (or less)
2 drops (each) of e.o. & f.o. (your preference)

i did not make a lot & stored it in a little Gladware container on my bathroom sink. i did not store it in the frige because i knew i would use it the next day for my twists.

redecouverte
10-30-2007, 03:58 PM
you could make hot oil treatments with jojoba oil
with shea butter+coconut oil...there is a body butter from Ivory Coast i used to use when i used to live in senegal, it is called Karicoco and basically shea butter+coconut

you could also make massage oils with sweet almond oil or body oil
i love doing it and adding a few drops of lavender..once i am done showering , it is the best way to put it on my back (since it is always dry)

you could also do hot oil treatments (monthly) with shea butter..
women in senegal do that all the time..melt it, apply it in their hair and in the evening, rinse it out
the hair is soooooooooooft :wub: and moisturized for days!

BigHair77
10-31-2007, 07:57 PM
you could make hot oil treatments with jojoba oil
with shea butter+coconut oil...there is a body butter from Ivory Coast i used to use when i used to live in senegal, it is called Karicoco and basically shea butter+coconut

you could also make massage oils with sweet almond oil or body oil
i love doing it and adding a few drops of lavender..once i am done showering , it is the best way to put it on my back (since it is always dry)
you could also do hot oil treatments (monthly) with shea butter..
women in senegal do that all the time..melt it, apply it in their hair and in the evening, rinse it out
the hair is soooooooooooft :wub: and moisturized for days!
[/b]
thanks!