PDA

View Full Version : I'm Very Tender Head(ed), And I Dunno What To Do.

Taylorcasey
11-11-2007, 04:25 PM
So, here is my story. I am EXTREMELY tender head(ed). My hair is very thick, about 8 -10 (My mom says) times the average head of hair. My curl is very tight and kinky. Some things I love about my natural hair is the shine, it's thickness, and also how soft it is, and how the ringlets form when I wash it. The problem is this, I have been wearing a chemical fire cream for a couple years now. I am not a fan of relaxers, but I didn't know another route to go. When I first relaxed my hair, it was beautiful. I still had all my curls, they were just looser. Over time, and more relaxing, my hair became straighter and straighter, and began breaking off. Also, it's so hard to find a stylist that really knows what they are doing. My hair being so thick, it takes them a very long time to apply the chemical fire cream to my entire head, and although I always told them I don't want my hair to be straight, they never seemed to understand that concept. So now I have about 2 inches of new growth. I decided that I wanted to go natural again. Problem: I am very tender head(ed). I had braids and then I went to the salon to have them taken down and redone. I was in so much pain that I wanted to cry. I walked out of the salon without her finishing because I was in too much pain. I have been wearing a hat for a month now because I don't know what to do with my hair. Now everyone is telling me that I am too tender head(ed) to go natural and that I need to do a chemical fire cream or a weak chemical fire cream. I am devastated. I don't want relaxed hair, or texturized hair, or vigoroled hair. :-( BUT, I also don't wanna have to cry evertime I have my hair combed. I am at my mom's house right now, I came here to get a weak chemical fire cream, but I am really not wanting to do it. This is why I started looking up stuff about natural hair online and I came across this site. Please give me some advice. When I say I am tender head(ed), I mean like to the third degree. When I say my hair is kinky, I mean it! For instance, when my hair is natural, it ties itself in knots. OMG, I really hope I can find some good advice here. Some products that will really detange my hair and make it easier to comb. I am in Chicago by the way, so if anyone knows of any good salons here please let me know that also.

NapturalCollegeQueen
11-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi! Welcome to nappturality.com. :) First of all, I understand when you say "kinky", I have nappy, dense, hair that'll knot fast. I know that a lot of women (and men) on the site don't even use combs anymore, and the key to detangling thick, tight hair is to a) do so when wet and B) do so with some type of (thick) conditioner on it so that it'll be easier to manage. Also, you could probably use your fingers to detangle. These are just some suggestions, because I'm not tender headed at all, so I still use a wide tooth comb to gently go at it, HOWEVER I'm sure that some other members who will respond will give you some great pointers.

The key is not to give up, experiment and not listen to those people who say you're too "tender headed to go nappy"! Not so! HTH :)

natural06
11-12-2007, 02:05 AM
I think your tender head comes from getting braids in your hair for a long period of time without allowing your hair to rest in between. But I to would suggest you wet your hair real good and apply some moisturizing conditioner to your hair and use a wide tooth comb the detangle your hair then put some big plaits in it and allow to air dry or twist while wet, make sure to add a good moisturizer.

bzcitybeauty
12-15-2009, 05:34 AM
Hey sista,

Since your head is so tender what you really need to do is to start getting scalp massages it worked for me! Unlike you my whole head is not tender just the entire right side and trust me tender is an UNDERSTATEMENT! But scalp massages daily with a lil oil goes a long way...

You can get them @ the salon or even your mom or anyone with gentle fingertips can do it for you at least 10-15 mins everyday to get the scalp's blood circulation going and speed up growth in some cases!

Secondly, get your ends clipped regularly so that when clearly out and detangling your hair it won't hurt so much bcuz it knotting up!

That's my advice would love your feed back and if you have any knowledge to bestow this wld be lovely in the future...

Belizean beauty says nourish the spirit within and it will radiate thru! Bless love