PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Graduation

Dolliesdaughter
03-16-2004, 02:11 PM
I am so happy to finally graduation from college, even though I am 32. I attend Point Park University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Monday there was a information session for graduates. I am shocked at the amount certain things cost.
Ex:
Bachelor outfit (cap, gown, tassle) $36.36
Master outfitt (cap, gown tassle) $71.65
Framing for diploma $85-$125
Class rings 10k gold $416-$712

The only jewelry that I wear is a wedding band so the ring is out. I am going to get my diploma famed because this time in college was so meaningful to me and I worked very hard.

Other incidental items:
Large picture frame $23.52
Candy Box $8.54
Tall candy jar $10.68
Car decal $6.40
Bear $16.03
Mug $5.33
All the items have the school name and seal on them. Point Park was just given university status. When I started it was just a college. I am happy but I am shocked at prices.

Azure
03-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Wow, that is kinda high. I guess I better get on and start ordering my stuff, after all I walk in May...

Azure :razz

aquababie19
03-16-2004, 03:23 PM
that's why some people i know don't walk during graduation. when i finished i believe i had to pay for...

masters robe and all the trimmings...$50
payment for my thesis to be bound and printed...$50

Dolliesdaughter
03-16-2004, 05:04 PM
I really don't want to take part in the cermony. It is just sicking. I think cap, gown and tassles are so worthless. My college is very small and a departmental banquet would be enough. My sister was adament about me participating so she is going to by the cap, gown and tassle. It is not like I am super poor or anything but I think the dressing is wasteful.

Sunchild
03-16-2004, 05:20 PM
I didnt want to walk either, but my mom forced me and she paid for everything.I am glad I participated in commencement because Tom Joyner was hilarious.
Some schools even charge for you to turn in your application for graduation.

All that stuff you listed, is it even necessary?

Congrats on your accomplishment!

Dolliesdaughter
03-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Mar 16 2004, 05:20 PM
I didnt want to walk either, but my mom forced me and she paid for everything.I am glad I participated in commencement because Tom Joyner was hilarious.
Some schools even charge for you to turn in your application for graduation.

All that stuff you listed, is it even necessary?

Congrats on your accomplishment!
Point Park charged a $75 graduation fee. Only thing that is necessary is that if you want to participate you HAVE to buy cap, gown & tassle. I just wanted to list other things that they are trying to get graduates to buy.

I don't even know the price of invitations and announcements because the new seal isn't finished, so they are not for sale as of Monday.

aquababie19
03-16-2004, 06:22 PM
i didn't even bother with invites the second time around. not many people attend grad school graduations. i think for my undergrad they were reasonable...about 20 bucks. folk get upset if they don't get an invite. plus you get some pretty nifty gifts.

Dolliesdaughter
03-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by aquababie19@Mar 16 2004, 06:22 PM
i think for my undergrad they were reasonable...about 20 bucks. folk get upset if they don't get an invite. plus you get some pretty nifty gifts.
Thanks for the estimate. I am not worried about presents or anything, my present is my degree. :app

Sunchild
03-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Alken41100+Mar 16 2004, 02:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alken41100 @ Mar 16 2004, 02:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-aquababie19@Mar 16 2004, 06:22 PM
i think for my undergrad they were reasonable...about 20 bucks. folk get upset if they don&#39;t get an invite. plus you get some pretty nifty gifts.
Thanks for the estimate. I am not worried about presents or anything, my present is my degree. :app [/b][/quote]
I didnt send out invites, I just called people. But this next time around I will send out invites.

One of my girlfriends made her own invites on her computer. Saved quite a bit of money that way.

aquababie19
03-16-2004, 06:54 PM
well that was a few years ago. i called people the second time around. only close family attended, which was fine with me.

and congrats to you! what&#39;s your degree??

floetry22
03-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Cap and gown was $25 for undergraduates at my school..there wasn&#39;t a fee to graduate, but if you filed for graduation & didn&#39;t make the grades according to your major, the fee is $100! I didn&#39;t send out invitations because I did that in high school..ordered 250 invitations & 245 are still in the box :lol I was going to go out & buy the frame, class ring, etc.. but that changed when I found a frame at Wal-mart for $15. And for my master&#39;s program, I don&#39;t think I will be walking or participating in any of the activites this time around.

Dolliesdaughter
03-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by aquababie19@Mar 16 2004, 06:54 PM
what&#39;s your degree??
Official name Applied Corporate Communications. Layperson&#39;s terms Communications.

http://www.ppc.edu/jmc/acc.shtml

divaterp81
03-16-2004, 09:59 PM
University of Maryland

Cap and Gown -Bachelor&#39;s Package $64
25 Announcements - $113

I&#39;m not even going to list the misc. items like the souviner tassel, ring, mug, diploma frame, t-shirt, etc.

I bought my cap and gown last week. It&#39;s expensive, but worth it. I&#39;ll pay anything to have my mother see me walk across that stage. :-)

life4evr
03-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Well my cap, gown, tassels for bachelors is Free(yeah it shocked me also).

I dont even know how much the announcements will cost probably about $60.

tdhayes
03-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Congrats on graduating!!!

When I complete undergrad, I had to pay some of the same fees...they may have been slightly higher for some things. My family just called everyone too!

For grad school, it was a little cheaper and I did my own invitations complete with directions...basically, just some nice stationery...and an elegant font. It did the trick AND saved me some money!

BamaFro
03-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Alabama State University graduation (bachelor&#39;s degree) fees checking in. It was $50 for the application to graduate. :rolling BUT, I believe it pays for the cap & gown rental. I don&#39;t THINK we get to keep ours, but I might be mistaken. I&#39;ve been so caught up in making sure I pass my classes that I haven&#39;t thought about it too much . . . :-)

Tami2shoes
03-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Ya know, I&#39;ve been lucky enough to go to schools that start charging for graduation fees way before graduation. I think that Howard charged me $100 for graduation fees, this included like 25 invitations, cap and gown etc. I think my law school is charging a similar fee, it was factored into my tuition bill so I didn&#39;t even look at it. It can get pretty expensive. I still haven&#39;t bought a frame for my undergrad degree. I haven&#39;t bought any school paraphenilia from law school. I just want to close the book.

In undergrad I encouraged all my friends to send out invites to graduation. I didn&#39;t want any of the folks I sent them to, to actually come to graduation, they knew that and so they sent very nice gifts. I racked up! I&#39;m counting on the numbers on the checks to increase in value with my law school graduation (wishful thinkin&#39;). Its funny because it seems like more folks want to come to this one than undergrad and I could really give a crap about it.

coco4urmind
03-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Well its not that bad yet.

cap, gown, tassels package is like 27.50

which is not bad and we dont have any graduation application fees this year.

Praise God Cuz ya girl is the poster child for broke college students. :razz

just being me
03-17-2004, 05:45 PM
$135 for cap, gown, and 25 invitations. SAD.

elleebeme5
03-17-2004, 07:24 PM
I marched one time. With subsequent graduate degrees, I didn&#39;t march. I went to one to get the program and I asked a friend to get the program for the other. I told my parents that I&#39;d march if they wanted me to, but they didn&#39;t so I didn&#39;t.

Most of the expenses are for unnecessary things are rip-off. They play to the emotions of graduates and their families.

BamaFro
03-18-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by elleebeme5@Mar 17 2004, 01:24 PM

Most of the expenses are for unnecessary things are rip-off. They play to the emotions of graduates and their families.
:app ITA. I looked at the prices for invitations (not to mention rings) when the &#39;recruiter&#39; from Jostens came to my campus last week and I promptly got up from the chair and :tiptoe &#39;d away. Ridiculously high prices. :doh

Venetter
03-23-2004, 07:12 PM
When my sister graduated she borrowed a cap and gown from a previous graduate. See if you can find someone who still has their old cap and gown. I don&#39;t think the styles change much.

oh,

CONGRATS ON GRADUATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :app :app