PDA

View Full Version : Parents From Different Countries?

The Fruitarian One
11-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Hi guys,

I've got parents from different countries, my mother is from montego bay, Jamaica and my dads from George town, Guyana and they met in Britain and it was there that I was born, now I know that the British thing is just political boundries and that my real heritige lies with my parents, but I don't know what to do, am I just going to have to claim both heritages???

How do you guys deal with it?

F1

Hadasah
11-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Why can't you claim both?

jaimuziq
11-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi guys,

I've got parents from different countries, my mother is from montego bay, Jamaica and my dads from George town, Guyana and they met in Britain and it was there that I was born, now I know that the British thing is just political boundries and that my real heritige lies with my parents, but I don't know what to do, am I just going to have to claim both heritages???

How do you guys deal with it?

F1
[/b]

I agree with DoASearchFirst, why can't you claim both? I do. I have a similar situation. My parents are Bajan(Barbados) and I was born in London, England and I am a british bajan. :)

The Fruitarian One
11-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys,

Tell you the truth I usually juss claim my mothers heritage coz my Dads a deadbeat that was never around so I guess the choice is all mine!

F1

jemilla
11-22-2007, 03:25 PM
i claim both. eritrean and african-american

N1SEXYTING
11-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I agree with DoASearchFirst, why can't you claim both? I do. I have a similar situation. My parents are Bajan(Barbados) and I was born in London, England and I am a british bajan. :)
[/b]

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms">
I feel you on this, i was born in London but parents are Nigerian and i class myself as Naija-British ;)

my motto is British by papers, Naija by Nature

Now my daughter on the other hand is probably gonna be where you are when she&#39;s older, her dad&#39;s from Sierra Leone so according to my culture she&#39;s regarded as a sierra leonen but i will be teaching her about her Nigerian and British roots</span>

Sykee
11-23-2007, 11:50 AM
I always figure that you can&#39;t be half anything person. you are as much one as the other, both at the same time...like I am a woman and short in height. i hope that makes sense...

jemilla
11-23-2007, 12:15 PM
^ off topic......the hair in that avatar is FIRE!

jaimuziq
11-24-2007, 05:50 PM
<span style="font-family:comic sans ms">
I feel you on this, i was born in London but parents are Nigerian and i class myself as Naija-British ;)

my motto is British by papers, Naija by Nature

Now my daughter on the other hand is probably gonna be where you are when she&#39;s older, her dad&#39;s from Sierra Leone so according to my culture she&#39;s regarded as a sierra leonen but i will be teaching her about her Nigerian and British roots</span>
[/b]

I like your motto. ;)

Nappilocs
11-26-2007, 05:21 AM
I claim both..Bermudian Geechie :D

lifeAgift
11-26-2007, 09:33 AM
we are raising our kiddos as egyptian americans

hubby is egyptian

i&#39;m african american /whatever that means/

we plan to relocate to egypt in 2010

returning to the states later in life

then retiring in egypt with our usa socialsecurity checks
and living transcontinentally

MariposaMorena08
11-26-2007, 07:15 PM
i claim both. eritrean and african-american
[/b]

*OFF TOPIC* Eritrea? That is cool! I love the music from that part of the world. One of my favorite songs is "Habeeby", a Somali song sung by an Ethio woman. Do Eritreans do the iskista too? I would love to know more about the culture.

^ off topic......the hair in that avatar is FIRE!
[/b]

ITA! How did you do that to your hair????

(Trying to get back on topic here) :) I have done a DNA test that shows that I share a 99% DNA match to the Akan people of Ghana. However, I do not personally know any Ghanaian relatives. My ancestor was brought to the US during slavery. How Ghanaian could I be? I would love to throw myself into the culture and language (Twi) but don&#39;t want to seem ridiculous. I don&#39;t feel right calling myself Ghanaian-American but want to make and keep cultural ties. Suggestions?

missgee
11-26-2007, 07:35 PM
I know we&#39;re talking about different countries, but what about planets?

My mother is fro the planet, Neptune. I have no idea what planet my dad is from. He&#39;s WAAAAAAY out there somewhere.

tangytic
11-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Jamerican!

morelyrical
12-02-2007, 09:46 PM
just claim them both, huh? if it were only that simple.

and the HERstory begins.

I&#39;m American.

...or, am I?
What would that make me?!

I just sum it all up and say I&#39;m Caribbean-American, although I&#39;m more American than I&#39;d ever accept.

I know we&#39;re talking about different countries, but what about planets?

My mother is fro the planet, Neptune. I have no idea what planet my dad is from. He&#39;s WAAAAAAY out there somewhere.
[/b]

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...he must be coming from where im from. :lol:

MsNaNa
12-04-2007, 11:58 AM
<div align="center">Yeah... my background isn&#39;t that difficult I guess. I usually just call my self Jamerican. But the story is like this... I was born and raised in Florida. However, my parents were both born in Jamaica which is where their parents also descended from. So... I identify with Jamaican culture probably more than I do with American culture. But that don&#39;t fly with everyone.

SO... Jamerican it is!</div>

The Fruitarian One
12-04-2007, 02:39 PM
<div align="center">Yeah... my background isn&#39;t that difficult I guess. I usually just call my self Jamerican. But the story is like this... I was born and raised in Florida. However, my parents were both born in Jamaica which is where their parents also descended from. So... I identify with Jamaican culture probably more than I do with American culture. But that don&#39;t fly with everyone.

SO... Jamerican it is!
[/b][/quote]

Yeah I was born and raised in England my mother is from Jamaica too and she says that we are decendance of the maroons, my Dad is from George town, Guyana and his Dad is half Japanese!!!

I guess it&#39;s all about political boundries because at the end of the day I bet we are made up of all kinds of Nationalities that we don&#39;t even know about!

F1

and the HERstory begins.

I&#39;m American.

...or, am I?

I just sum it all up and say I&#39;m Caribbean-American, although I&#39;m more American than I&#39;d ever accept.
[/b]

I hear ya...I think about it and my time spent being raised in England must count for something because it&#39;s what made me who I am today, it&#39;s my history!!!!....but I guess the only way to ever sort these thingsout would be to do a DNA test, ha,ha!

F1

atticsalt8686
12-05-2007, 08:09 PM
This thread is interesting. In my case I was born and raised in America but my parents were born in raised in Georgetown, Guyana. I grapple with the question of my identity too because as much as I would like to say I&#39;m Guyanese-American it seems like I am far more American than Guyanese. It would&#39;ve helped though to be born and raised somewhere with more West Indian folk (I am from a rural, redneck part of the Midwest). On my dad&#39;s side though in each generation there was migration so that makes claiming a heritage a litlle more difficult. For example my grandmother was born in Africa to a Bajan/Scottish father and a mother from Dominiqua.

In my case I have decided to say that I simply am Black because that term encompasses more of the African Diaspora than African-American does and I always tell people that my parents are West Indian and that they moved to the States less than 2 weeks before I was born. Interestingly enough people never think I am American anyhow and within the past few months I&#39;ve been told that I have a slight Caribbean accent. Of course I am ecstatic about that :)

The Fruitarian One
12-06-2007, 08:48 AM
This thread is interesting. In my case I was born and raised in America but my parents were born in raised in Georgetown, Guyana. I grapple with the question of my identity too because as much as I would like to say I&#39;m Guyanese-American it seems like I am far more American than Guyanese. It would&#39;ve helped though to be born and raised somewhere with more West Indian folk (I am from a rural, redneck part of the Midwest). On my dad&#39;s side though in each generation there was migration so that makes claiming a heritage a litlle more difficult. For example my grandmother was born in Africa to a Bajan/Scottish father and a mother from Dominiqua.

In my case I have decided to say that I simply am Black because that term encompasses more of the African Diaspora than African-American does and I always tell people that my parents are West Indian and that they moved to the States less than 2 weeks before I was born. Interestingly enough people never think I am American anyhow and within the past few months I&#39;ve been told that I have a slight Caribbean accent. Of course I am ecstatic about that :)
[/b]

Your so right...I think it&#39;s hard for most of us to say we are this or we are that because when we look back we will probably find that we are a mix of a few nationalities, for instance my grandad is half Japanese and good knows what else there is....

I like to call myself a citizen of the world.

F1

atticsalt8686
12-17-2007, 06:50 PM
^^
It seems like everyone from Georgetown knows each other or are related to each other in some way. Given your age I wouldn&#39;t be surprised if our fathers knew each other at some point since they should be about the same age.

rastagalNJ
01-15-2008, 12:04 PM
very intersting topic, I am African American with Carribean ancestry (Grandparents born in St. Kitts, WI) my husband is Jamaican, born and raised in Jamaica. Our Jamerican son is being taught both cultures, his dad is teaching him patois as it is expected for him to know how to speak the language. I love the diversity it brings him, he also can claim dual citizenship as according to Jamaican law he is Jamaican.

STARGiRL
01-15-2008, 07:08 PM
very intersting topic, I am African American with Carribean ancestry (Grandparents born in St. Kitts, WI) my husband is Jamaican, born and raised in Jamaica. Our Jamerican son is being taught both cultures, his dad is teaching him patois as it is expected for him to know how to speak the language. I love the diversity it brings him, he also can claim dual citizenship as according to Jamaican law he is Jamaican.
[/b]

My father and I are African Americans (born in Florida), my mother is from Trinidad. I too have dual citizenship, and it&#39;s wonderful being able to claim ownership to two completely different worlds, although growing up as a teen it was a little confusing. For one thing, I always have somewhere sunny and beautiful to go to for winter vacation :P

mochalocks
01-15-2008, 09:39 PM
I&#39;m an American. My parents are from two different countries too. My Mom is from Costa Rica, and my Dad is from the British Virgin Islands. But, I still acknowledge both of them.

smpb200
01-16-2008, 09:35 AM

and the HERstory begins.

I&#39;m American.

...or, am I?

[/b]

According to the laws of Barbados you are a Barbadian by descent and are entitled to a Bajan passport.

tangytic
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
[/b]

Rastgal have you started the process of getting your son a jamaican passport?

lil twa
01-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Why not claim you are not just one but both.. You can hide from who you are but you cant change it...
http://www.public.fotki.com/SunshineM/

Promise24
02-04-2008, 04:56 PM
[/b]

I don&#39;t know nothing about that... I guess i&#39;m a jamaican born living in canada which makes me a canadian citizen. nothing related to jamaica i guess ... or am i just confused?