PDA

View Full Version : So I Did A Dna Search?!?

SweetHoneyLocs
11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Still wondering if it was a good idea or not. Just got the results back today, actually they could have been on the DNA website for the past couple of days. I just realized toady that they were there. Any way, it appears that I have 6 mutations in the HVR-1 sequence.

They are:
Location.....Region.......Mutation Type......Nucleotide
16209.........HVR-1........Substitution...........T > c
16218.........HVR-1........Substitution...........C > t
16223.........HVR-1........Substitution...........C > t
16292.........HVR-1........Substitution...........C > t
16311.........HVR-1........Substitution...........T > c
16519.........HVR-1........Substitution...........T > c

• Substitution - occurs with a nucleotide changes; it can be subcategorized as transition or transversion

By using the two markers that are bolded, it is predicted the closest halogroup match is L3f.

Below you will see which halogroup is associated with which mutation.

mtDNA Haplogroup........Fitness Score........Match Quality.............Mutations
L3f.....................................2......... ..............Strong.................16209, 16223
M7a....................................2.......... .............Strong................16209, 16223
W.......................................2......... ..............Strong................16223, 16292
M7a1...................................1.......... .............Medium.............16209, 16223, 16324
M10.....................................1......... ..............Medium.............16223, 16311, 16357
N.........................................1....... ................Medium.................16223

Well that is all I have for now. I am thinking of having both the HVR-2 and SNP markers analyzed as well. Then hopefully I will have a complete or at least better picture of my maternal line.

caribbelle
11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
What does all of that stuff mean? I'm guessing that its from your fathers side.

bajanempress
11-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Yeah translate that for the clueless like me please :)

SweetHoneyLocs
11-26-2007, 01:26 PM
What does all of that stuff mean? I'm guessing that its from your fathers side.
[/b]

Since I was the one that was tested and I am a female all the results are for my mother's maternal side. So in other words my mom's line was traced using mitochondrial DNA which is linked passed from the mother to the child. In order for it to have been my dad's family I would 1) need to be a male and 2) have the y chromosome.

To be honest I am not 100% sure what all this means. I am waiting on my friend at work to return from vacation. She has a PhD in genetics, which I am hoping will give better insight.

From what I am guessing is that for each mutation (substitution) can be viewed as an different ethnic background other then the original. The original ethnic background is West African (L3f halogroup). The next halogroup that has a strong relationship to my genes is M7a, which is East Asian. And a surprise to me, cause I do not resemble an Asian person.

The W halogroup, to which I have a strong possiblity to being related to people from the Ural Mountains and the eastern Baltic, though it is also found in India as well as Spain, Finland, Poland, Iran, Pakistan and Thailand.

So it is possible that my mother's side of the family has an heritage of West African, East Asian, and one of the ethnic groups from the W halogroup.

EmpressRi
11-26-2007, 02:33 PM
you are so lucky. i did that in school once BUT I WAS THE ONLY ONE whose DNA got messed up in the centrifuge I think. I was so hot cause the project was interesting. Where did you do this at/

Poetic_Butterfly
11-26-2007, 02:52 PM
That's very interesting stuff! ^_^

Peace,
Rasta

MariposaMorena08
11-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Sw33tHon3yTwist, congratulations on receiving your results! Your strongest match is the one that you should go with. African DNA has the most mutations, other folks' DNA doesn't mutate so much.

As far as mutations go, when studying DNA genetic scientists created (chose) a Standard DNA. Any part of your DNA that is different than that standard is a "mutation". The numbers represent a piece of your DNA. At each piece of DNA you will have on of the following letter, "A", "T", or "G". I don't remember what they stand for but it basically tells how your strands of DNA are connected to each other.

For example: If the scientist-appointed standard DNA has an "A" at #16209 and your DNA strand has a "T" at that location of your DNA, then your mutation would be 16209T because that is where you differ from the standard.

Most ethnic backgrounds can be detected because each usually has genetic mutations that are unique to that group. My haplogroup is L1c2 (usually found in Central Africa, but also appears in West Africa). In looking at my mutations (and I gots a plenty), L1c2 is what the results read. Now I have a genetic cousin (I met her through our shared results - we have never officially met) with the exact same DNA mutations. She had another test done that said that our haplogroup should be "X", which is found in ancient Europeans and certain Native American tribes.

To explain it simply, the "X" haplogroup had some mutations that matched mine which at first glance would seem to solve it. Howvere, as I said before African DNA has more mutations that most others. The "L1c2" haplogroup was a stronger match because it contains more mutations and almost ALL of my DNA mutations. It may be that you match *some* mutations of the "W", but that you have more mutations and those match the African haplogroup.

By the way, we will have some mutation matches with other people because everyone is descended from an African "EVE" that shared some of her DNA with her descendants who settled outside of Africa. African DNA is the original DNA. no bias! ;-)

I would suggest that you take the African Ancestry DNA test. It's pricey but I am glad that I did it! I would love to see your results. It eliminated some ambiguity about my haplogroup/origins. I shared a 99.2% match to the Akan people from Ghana.

missgee
11-26-2007, 06:26 PM
And this is why I fall asleep in biology class.

Lol, just kidding, sis!

SweetHoneyLocs
11-27-2007, 05:55 AM
you are so lucky. i did that in school once BUT I WAS THE ONLY ONE whose DNA got messed up in the centrifuge I think. I was so hot cause the project was interesting. Where did you do this at/
[/b]

I got the test done at www.genebase.com the cost was $119 + SH. I will have to pay another $119 to have the HVR-2 sequence looked at and $89 to the SNP done. However, if you go to www.africandna.com you can have both the HVR-1 and HVR-2 sequences run for $189. The test at African DNA will tell you what part of Africa you are associated with (through your mom if you are a woman) and as they put it "will give you the migration pattern of your branch of mankind."

MariposaMorena08, thanks for the extra info. I have already been thinking of taking the African Ancestry test, in fact I have their website bookmarked. First I am going to finish with genebase, they have two more test that can be run, 1) to look at the genes in HVR-2 and 2) SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism). The combination of all three of these test should give me more sound information. Thanks again.

SweetHoneyLocs
11-27-2007, 06:38 AM
MariposaMorena08,

I do have a question that I am hoping you can possibly answer. On the site where my DNA was tested, there is one other person who has the exact same mutations in the HVR-1 sequence as me. Does it mean that there is a possibility that we are genetically related? Also, for each mutation that a person has different from me, does that mean we are distant cousins. For example if a person has only one mutation different from my sequence can it be considered that we may possibly be related?

dasweetstcypha
12-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Anyone else Haplogroup D on maternal lineage?

MariposaMorena08
12-05-2007, 04:40 PM
And this is why I fall asleep in biology class.
Lol, just kidding, sis!
[/b]

:lol:

@Sw33tHon3yTwist: I do believe that it means that you share a maternal ancestor. I have 2 genetic "cousins". It could be that both of your ancestors were sisters, mother and daughter, grandmother and...okay, I'm sure you get the picture. :-) From what I read, your shared DNA does make you related although I don't know that you could tell how closely related you would be. I would paper trail that.

As far as I know, AfricanAncestry is the only company with a wide enough database of Africans so that you can get a more accurate answer. I will check out the AfricanDNA website and see what they have going on over there. The results sound similar to the National Genographic Project. They run the HVR1 for $99. My "cousin" wants me to have the HVR2 test because our HVR1 sequence is a perfect match. I may have that one done next year.

caribbelle
12-05-2007, 06:01 PM
sounds interesting...i want to get this done eventually, to figure out the ancestry on my mothers side

blksnflwr
12-21-2007, 09:04 PM
This is from my myspace blog. www.myspace.com/blksnflwr..... I took the test at AfricanAncestry.com.. I had all of the T,A C, G's etc.. I could put those here but, it was easier to post this.

I am going to get my DNA tested by another company as well while I am still manually researching my family through historical records.

The most exciting day. I confirmed my African ancestry
Current mood: ecstatic
Category: Life

12.20.2008 Update: I know that this is not relevant for everyone... But, for those of us who want to know where they come from so they can really look at their past not to be it but to appreciate it....... what if you had a chance to check your ancestry? You were told one thing... you are blackfoot & cherokee, English, & North African,Greek, Chinese, along with being from Guinea... This is where your great grandfather's father was supposed to be from... you heard the stories but, couldn't prove it without a shadow of a doubt prove it... you read the family history books... vistited old houses..... And you just had to believe what you were told. What if someone gave you a way to prove it... Well someone did and I did. I took a a African Genetic DNA Test and I am Mende from Sierra Leone & Kru from Liberia... I am so happy.. Guinea is close to both of these areas so, they weren't that far off.. It just lets me know they wern't blowing smoke... Now I am off to check the rest.

imanirenee20
12-22-2007, 10:23 AM
another question...would my father have to be tested in order for me to know his line? I know that the mother passes it down to her daughter...so what if I look more like my grandfather? did my grandmother pass it down to my mother? would one of my uncles need to be tested in order for us to see where we are from on my grandfathers side?

faithworks
12-25-2007, 10:00 AM
would one of my uncles need to be tested in order for us to see where we are from on my grandfathers/fathers side?
[/b]
This was my question too cause my Dad has passed on. Anyone know if allmyroots.com is legit. Their fee is 239.00 for a DNA test

Merry Christmas! :wub:

SweetHoneyLocs
01-04-2008, 08:50 AM
another question...would my father have to be tested in order for me to know his line? I know that the mother passes it down to her daughter...so what if I look more like my grandfather? did my grandmother pass it down to my mother? would one of my uncles need to be tested in order for us to see where we are from on my grandfathers side?
[/b]

In order to know your father's line, it would be necessary to test your grandfather, your dad, your dad's brother or your brother. The male DNA is passed with the Y chromosome. You physical appearance is not being studied at DNA testing sites. In other words, the DNA that is being tested is considered "junk" DNA. It does not play a role in how you look, act, think, feel, etc...For women it is found in the mitochondrial cells that is why it is called mtDNA. This DNA is "supposed" to remain "unchanged". So in theory you can look back thousands of years into your past.

You can test a male or female to determine the maternal line (mother side) using mtDNA. However, when looking at the male side you need to look at a direct decedent on your grandfather's side. Because the information is passed in the YDNA.

This was my question too cause my Dad has passed on. Anyone know if allmyroots.com is legit. Their fee is 239.00 for a DNA test

Merry Christmas! :wub:
[/b]

Faithworks, I am assuming that your a woman. Allmyroots.com only test males wanting to know their DNA heritage. It also only gives you the 24 marker test. If I am correct, this only will look at the HVR-1 sequence. I think the price is rather high. You can get the test done at familytreedna.com for $191 (shipping/taxes included) and have HVR-1, HVR-2 and SNP performed. All three together give you a better picture.

Cheleigh
01-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Any recomendations for the best one to try first? I can test both my mother and my father's side. I was thinking about the African DNA ancestry one, but it is a good choice?

SweetHoneyLocs
01-06-2008, 03:16 AM
I choose to go with familytreedna, because I felt the price was excellent. I was getting a lot of information, various projects, talking with different people, gaining insight into this type of study, etc.... I started with my mother's lineage, because I am a woman. Once I receive the results and I gain a better insight. I plan on order kit to test my dad's brother. This way I will have two of the four branches of my family tree.

Soon2bnatural27
01-14-2008, 09:20 AM
I did this free with my biology class. I got the results back, but didn't know how to read it. I still have the results if someone knows how to analyze it.

LuaBonita
01-19-2008, 09:00 AM
?? so theres no way of figuring out my linage through my paternal side... just because im a girl? :(

olympia621
01-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Do you have brothers or cousins from the paternal side? If so, they could take the test. This is how Thomas Jefferson was busted.

LuaBonita
01-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Do you have brothers or cousins from the paternal side? If so, they could take the test. This is how Thomas Jefferson was busted.
[/b]
was busted? lolololol

i dont have any brothers or male cousins that i know of from the paternal side. dang...

roarkmartinez1965
01-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Wow, what an interesting and relevant thread this is.

I want to thank and appluad all of you ladies who have taken the first step to determining their geneology. I plan on making this a goal that I will initiate this year, I have long wanted to know who I am and whence I come and you ladies have certainly lit a fire under me.

Thanks for the names of the sites that I should look into, knowing that you have used these companies and found them to be reptuable.

For any future post could you please, please when you list a site change the font or the color it makes it easier to find for reference. :)

SweetHoneyLocs
02-03-2008, 05:38 PM
?? so theres no way of figuring out my linage through my paternal side... just because im a girl? :(
[/b]

Did your dad have any brothers? Did you know his parents? If so did your grandfather have any brothers?

There are a number of ways for you to get this information to trace your paternal side. One way, which is most expensive, is to do a DNA extraction on your father (assuming he is dead). You could also check with the hospital if he ever went and ask if they have any specimens from him. Another thing that can be done using familytreedna is to look at your XSTR 1 & 2 panels ($185) or have your mtDNA sequenced ($495). Both of these test, if I am remembering correctly, look at your whole DNA sequence. Also, although the mtDNA sequence is expensive it will give you all the information needed, and you most likely will never have to repeat or look further.

Wonderfully Made!
02-14-2008, 02:41 PM
This does sound really interesting. I&#39;d like to have my DNA tested as well. Especially since my family is really quiet about our lineage <_<

SweetHoneyLocs
02-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Okay, I think things have taken an interesting turn. Yesterday, after arriving home from the movies (I went to see Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins. And it was actually a good movie). I figured since I am suffering from sleep deprivation I figured why not make myself even crazier and check my e-mail. Upon checking my e-mail i noticed I had received an e-mail from family tree DNA. I assumed they were sending out a broadcast announcement for a new test. At first i was going to ignore it, but then I changed my mind. The e-mail stated that they were going run more test on my HVR 1 region was a match to someone already in the database, and that we may have shared a common ancestor 52 or less generations ago (~1500 yrs ago). But what really made me go :shocker: :o was that they (family tree DNA) was of anthropological significance. What exactly this means is a mystery to me, but I can tell you I am excited, interested, and shocked all at once. Once I get the results, if there are any, I will be sure to let all of you.

sankofa_akinyi
03-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Hi everyone. I&#39;m excited about this post because I had my dna tested 4 weeks ago and I&#39;m waiting on the results. You all are so encouraging. When I told my family what I was doing, they just shook their heads like, "OK, there she goes again." But I&#39;m glad to hook up with some like-minded people. I&#39;ll keep in touch and let you know what my results are. Take care.

-Sankofa :D

licier
03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
This does sound really interesting. I&#39;d like to have my DNA tested as well. Especially since my family is really quiet about our lineage <_<
[/b]

Mine, too. And since my dad and grandma passed, I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll ever know. Most of what I knew was about his stepfather, not biological, so I have no idea what&#39;s going on on that side of the family.

sankofa_akinyi
04-04-2008, 08:48 AM
The results are in.....
the mDNA test linked me to Asia. I was initially blown away, but now I&#39;m cool with it. My grandfather is gonna get tested this summer so we can trace the paternal side. My husband commented, "so that&#39;s why you like chinese food and yoga..."

Anyway, I&#39;m excited that even though it&#39;s not what I wanted to hear, now I know. Take care and be blessed.

-Sankofa

SweetHoneyLocs
04-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Sankofa, what is your haplogroup?

sankofa_akinyi
04-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Sankofa, what is your haplogroup?
[/b]

It says my DNA sequence belongs to halogroup I or G. I is asian and G is European. The letter also stated that there was a 99.7% similarity between the two and I&#39;d have to get a HVSII run to determine which one it is. I&#39;m going with asian because of physical characteristics I&#39;ve seen on my grandmother&#39;s side of the family. I know there&#39;s some white there, but the asian possibility has me thinking...

Why, what&#39;s up?

anabwi
05-06-2008, 01:00 AM
I just ordered from africandna.com so am anxiously awaiting my results.

In my case, my mother was adopted, so I&#39;m going to be finding out about her biological mother&#39;s lineage correct? We did know her so it helps to find out more. But I&#39;d really like to know about Mom&#39;s adoptive family lineage because they are the ones we were raised with and I identify with.

MariposaMorena08
05-10-2008, 09:02 PM
@Soon2b: what exactly did the results that you received look like? A series of the letters "A" "T" "G"?

@Blksn: CONGRATULATIONS!! What are you planning to do with your newly found information?

@Cheleigh: I have done the National Genographic, African Ancestry, and admixture tests. I feel that I wasted money on the nat.geno. test because my results didn&#39;t help me. I loved having the Afr. test done and I am very glad that I got the admixture test done! If you are trying to benefit your parents too, I would do the Afr. - just a bit costly though...

anabwi
05-10-2008, 11:56 PM
I just ordered from africandna.com so am anxiously awaiting my results.

In my case, my mother was adopted, so I&#39;m going to be finding out about her biological mother&#39;s lineage correct? We did know her so it helps to find out more. But I&#39;d really like to know about Mom&#39;s adoptive family lineage because they are the ones we were raised with and I identify with.
[/b]

Oops, can&#39;t get results until I do the swab :P Got the kit today, will be swabbing tomorrow and then mail it back.

etifaim
05-15-2008, 09:34 PM
This is just a side note, but since I&#39;ve noticed a lot of comments about possibly having Asian ancestry, I find that not too surprising since there were Black Asians, and I feel we often have the most similar features that many other races. I&#39;m still doing research on it, but I&#39;ve read a few things. It&#39;s pretty interesting.

Oh, and I WANNA GET AN ANCESTRY TEST DONE!!! You guys have me excited now! I love hearing about his stuff :D

anabwi
05-16-2008, 06:34 PM
They emailed me today saying they received my swabs and I should hear from them by July 9. This is so exciting !! :)

SweetHoneyLocs
07-09-2008, 03:47 PM
They emailed me today saying they received my swabs and I should hear from them by July 9. This is so exciting !! :)
[/b]

Today is JULY !!!! Did you get your results back? Where they exciting?

assia
07-09-2008, 06:12 PM
^^^What happened with you and the anthropological significance of your DNA? Spill please. :P