PDA

View Full Version : breast reduction

elleebeme5
03-26-2003, 01:34 AM
Several people here have mentioned that they have had breast reductions. I want to have one. I hear that most women are so happy and pleased with the results and wish they had done it sooner.

My questions:
Did you keloid?
Did you lose sensation? If so, to what degree and for how long?
Have the grooves on your shoulders disappeared?
How did you choose the size you went down to?

Thanks.

GalaxyGirl2010
03-26-2003, 12:30 PM
hey there elle.. i hadx a breast reduction 12 years ago and went from a g+ cup to a c cup.

i was very happy with the results and definitely needed thatto help build my self-confidence while i was away at college. unfortunately i gained the size back :lol: but i think that's because i gained weight and the first place i gain is on my chest.

to answer your questions:

1. i didnt keloid. i also didnt use any cocoa butter or anything (i wish i would have)

2. you lose a bit of sensation, i'd say like 50% for awhile (i think mine only stayed like that for a few months) right now i'm back to normal (i think or maybe i'm just used to having less sensation lol )

3. grooves on the shoulders: i'm thinking you mean grooves caused by brastraps having to hold them big ol' jugs...i had HUGE ones that went deep but i think that's because i was wearing bras that were too small. right now i'm a 34 f only a cup size or two less than when i had my reduction and i dont have those because i make sure to buy bras that fit. so i guess to answer that question, they are gone

4. how did i choose size: my plastic surgeon chose the best size. he said that that was the most he could take out considering how large i was before. i originally wanted to be a b cup. so, you will probably need to talk to your doctor first.

also, the healing process wasnt too bad. i wasn't in a huge amount of pain (i had 2 tylenol the entire time i was healing) but i did lose alot of blood!!! and had to stay in the hospital for 3 days longer because i was getting transfusions galore. also, i was anemic for a few months after that.

also i think that now the techniques have changed and are less scaring than the one i had done. i might be mistaken though, but i thought i saw something on the health channel where a woman was getting her reduction lipo style (tube that sucks out the fat). that would leave way less scars than cutting off the nipple and then slicing the breast open along the bottom.

tinovia
03-26-2003, 02:24 PM
My questions:
Did you keloid?
Did you lose sensation? If so, to what degree and for how long?
Have the grooves on your shoulders disappeared?
How did you choose the size you went down to?

Thanks.

I had a breast reduction/lift on 27Feb2003. I didn't keloid. I still have scars, but I massage cocoa butter and baby lotion on my breasts twice a day. The biggest concern is the loss of nipple sensation. They couldn't roll me out of the OR good before I started patting my chest to see if I still had sensation. The only part of my breast that I could feel the following day was my nipples. I was very thankful that I didn't loose the sensations. I never had grooves on my shoulders. Oh! I was a D cup and now I'm at a C cup. I love the size of my breasts and don't regret my decision. I chose the size I wanted simply by seeing someone with breasts the size I wanted and told my doctor. He did the markings and the rest was surgery. They highly recommend that you don't have a breast reduction if you don't plan on having children.. Hope this helps

elleebeme5
03-26-2003, 06:25 PM
The last time I was properly fitted for a bra, I was wearing a 34G. I gained some weight so I went to a 34H, then a 36H which is where I have settled. But even with the properly fitting bras, I got marks on my shoulders. My rib cage is actually very small; I'm all boobs. There are people who know realize how big they are because it's all boobs, no chest. I'm waiting to get insurance approval now. I should hear soon.

About size, I think a C would be fine. Maybe even a D. I'm 45 and facing a hysterectomy so breastfeeding isn't a consideration.

Mskey001
03-27-2003, 08:17 PM
I want a breast reduction....Im currently a 40 DDD..at 5'2...Im ready for them to leave..but I will first try and lose more weight, if that doesnt help, than off they go. I went a couple of years ago to get one, my insc company would not apporove it until I lost some weight..sooo, thats where Im at with it.

elleebeme5
03-28-2003, 02:49 AM
You know it's interesting. I wasn't weighed at the PS's office. I thought that might be an issue but I guess my insurance company doesn't care. I know of a woman who had it done and she was overweight at the time but was approved. Since then however, she has lost about 30 pounds.

GalaxyGirl2010
03-28-2003, 03:00 AM
You know it's interesting. I wasn't weighed at the PS's office. I thought that might be an issue but I guess my insurance company doesn't care. I know of a woman who had it done and she was overweight at the time but was approved. Since then however, she has lost about 30 pounds.i had no problem getting approved, we just said it was causing me back trouble, also all the pics my doc took of me with scars and stuff helped :lol:

you're still getting marks with the bras? i have a tiny ribcage too (in comparison to my boobage) so i feel you on that. i've only been buying fredericks of hollywood bras and a few olga ones and i havent gotten the shoulder marks back.

@mskey good luck with the weight loss :D are you top heavy?

MuthaErth
03-28-2003, 05:51 AM
i'm very top heavy and i've thought about reduction alot in my younger yrs, but after nursing 4 outta 5 children, my breast went down on there own (38f to 36dd) which is a comfortable size for me. i guess i was built to carry this rack :)

Mskey001
03-28-2003, 11:20 AM
@galaxygirl..
Thanks..Yes Im very top heavy (I think so anyway) I have the shouder marks and whole nine...My Dr and I did the back pain and everything..and they still didnt approve it. This was about 5 years ago. I just took it as a blessing in disguise, it may not have been my time.

elleebeme5
03-28-2003, 12:40 PM
When I weighed less and was younger, I wore a 32DDD (the cup might have been larger but it wasn't properly fitted). If I slept without a bra, the skin between my breast would actually tear. Gaining weight seemed to help that.

One of the things I'm looking forward to the most is having matching bra and panties. It's a little thing but having to wear harnesses almost all of my life has been a pain. I'm resisting the urge to visit lingerie shops in case the insurance company denies it. But the minute they do, I'm going to see Vicky! (For those who have had it - how soon were you able to wear regular bras? When did they 'settle' into a size?)

GalaxyGirl2010
03-28-2003, 01:02 PM
When I weighed less and was younger, I wore a 32DDD (the cup might have been larger but it wasn't properly fitted). If I slept without a bra, the skin between my breast would actually tear. Gaining weight seemed to help that.

One of the things I'm looking forward to the most is having matching bra and panties. It's a little thing but having to wear harnesses almost all of my life has been a pain. I'm resisting the urge to visit lingerie shops in case the insurance company denies it. But the minute they do, I'm going to see Vicky! (For those who have had it - how soon were you able to wear regular bras? When did they 'settle' into a size?)YES!!!

after i was out iof the stitches and no longer had to wear the bali bras i was forced to after the surgey, i was matching bra and panty QUEEN. as far as the time between the surgery and when i could shop for real bras, about 3-4 weeks went buy in the meantime, my doc had me buy 2 bali bras a size smaller than my new size ( so i bought a B) to hold down the swelling, the first was used right after the surgery and was yucky :? since it was basically a band-aid.

also another thing i was looking forward to was taking a shower lol since i couldnt get the wounds wet.

also, you might not experience this, but i was MEAN after the surgery i'm not sure if that was from the shock of major surgery and my body putting me into fight mode, but i was a b*tch on wheels. i refused to use the bed pan, snapped at 3 people who asked how i felt, and yelled at 2 of the nurses who kept coming in to check my iv and take my temp :lol: i bet they were wishing they could have drugged me lol

i noticed that as well, with the weight gain helping i mean.

Mskey001
03-28-2003, 01:10 PM
You know, the only thing that has scared me about this whole thing is not being able to breasfeed. I am 31 with no children yet..but when I do have one, I can't stand the thought of giving my child similac/enfimil etc.. has anyone else experienced this?

tinovia
03-28-2003, 04:28 PM
You know, the only thing that has scared me about this whole thing is not being able to breasfeed. I am 31 with no children yet..but when I do have one, I can't stand the thought of giving my child similac/enfimil etc.. has anyone else experienced this?

Not I. I haven't had children yet either and plan on doing so and I also plan on breast feeding and supplying my baby with alternative feeding and feeding methods.

Mskey001
03-28-2003, 04:38 PM

Not I. I haven't had children yet either and plan on doing so and I also plan on breast feeding and supplying my baby with alternative feeding and feeding methods.

I was told that it is a possibility that breast-feeding may not be an option once the reduction is done. I was thinking of alternative feeding methods also.

MsTam
03-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Wow there are so many of us top heavy sistahs! I am basically all boobs and have been since I developed them. I really really want to have a breast reduction but don't think that I'll be able to due to other health problems. I try to be more comfortable with my size and sometimes I am but it gets hard when you can't just walk into any old stor and buy one of those cute little bras. I just recently found the perfect fit at Lane Bryant so I'm really excited about that and should be able to find some nice bras there.

MuthaErth
03-28-2003, 10:10 PM

breastfeeding was a natural reduction for me. while i was nursing my breast well full and got a lil bigger (1cup) but after they shrunk up much smaller than they were before i started nursing. talk to your doctor about it.

elleebeme5
03-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Lane Bryant bras didn't work for me because the bra was too big and the cups were too small! I'm sure I'll be a beyotch about this because if the BR is approved, I'm going to have a hysterectomy on the same day! The recovery will be awful but it will be better than being nasty to people twice. Someone is planning to stay with me during the hysterectomy; I'll just let her know I'm gonna be doubly grouchy.

rozlips
03-29-2003, 01:50 AM
Ellebeme, may I suggest that you reconsider having the double surgery. I haven't had a hysterectomy, but I had a myomectomy and of course, I had a reduction mammoplasty ten years ago. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain of having both at the same time. You will be hurting from your neck to your knees.

Of the two surgeries the mammoplasty was the worst. I was off work for six weeks. Had to sleep on my back for almost that entire time. Needless to say, I didn't sleep. Being an insomniac didn't help. Also, had to wear this elastic bra that itched like a batch of fire ants for an entire week. I walked hunched over almost the whole time.

As for scarring and nipple sensitivity, my scarring is minimal, pretty much the only one you really see is the vertical incision where they moved my nipple up. I actually had increased nipple sensation! I had very little before. I don't have any children, but I've assumed that I won't be able to breast-feed. Hopefully, I'll know this year. Everyone tells me that my surgeon did a fantastic job. Every time I go for a mammogram or a nurse or doctor looks at my breasts they're amazed. I didn't keloid, and the grooves from my shoulders (and ribs!) disappeared after a year. My doctor and I debated size for a long time. I wanted to be a B cup. But he said that at my height and waist-to-hip ratio, I'd wouldn't be proportionate at that size. So I conceded to be a C cup. He was right. Of course, going from a 34-DDD to a C was amazing. I look back now and can't believe I once had all those boobs. I remember being 19 years old 5'9 117 pounds and learning to rappel out of a helicopter on a rope. I'm astonished that I didn't kill myself.

I think I was very fortunate. My doctor was fanatical about infection. Apparently a lot of women get them. I had to bathe for seven days prior to the surgery with Betadine wash. On the night before I had to wash from head to toe with it (Yes! including my hair.) I obeyed all my doctor's orders. He said I'm the only one who didn't take that damned bra off! And because I didn't smoke and ate a healthy diet, I healed very quickly with few complications. But that first few weeks were God awful.

Again, I strongly recommend against having both surgeries together. You'll need at least TWO people to take care of you if you do.

elleebeme5
03-29-2003, 06:00 AM
I know two OR nurses who recommended this PS as did my gynecologist. Two of my sorors used them without difficulty and he's widely recommended as the best in our little town, especially with African Americans. Another person said he was great but that she didn't do what she was supposed to so she has some keloiding. I have not keloided in the past but who knows but God. The recovery period for all of them was two weeks which is what I was told too.

I'm prepared for the recovery to be absolutely awful. That's an incredible assault on the body but I know me. I'd rather be in excruiating pain once rather than a lot of pain twice.

tinovia
04-01-2003, 07:20 AM

I was told that it is a possibility that breast-feeding may not be an option once the reduction is done. I was thinking of alternative feeding methods also.

The physicians say there is a chance that you could loose nipple sensation, but as long as you still have nipple sensation, you should be fine. I spoke with my physician at my 1 month post-op appointment and he said I should have no problems breast .feeding

elleebeme5
07-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Looking back at the comments, so much of what people said has been true. The nurse swears I'm going to end up a D, I hope so cause right now I feel flat chested. I had to bathe with antibacterial soap for 10 prior to surgery and haven't had any trouble with infection. I was told that the hysterectomy would be worst, and it was initially. But the last two weeks, the shooting pains from the breast reduction have been horrible. I can't imagine going back to work in two weeks like some do. I'm going back August 4th or 11th - we'll see. Sleeping on my back has been awful and unbearable, especially when the good looking brother on the ABC Overnight news is on vacation.

My question: It's time to start massaging - What did you all use? Did anyone use vitamin E?

CEE26
07-10-2003, 08:29 PM
no, i didn't keloid..i thought i was going to have them on my right breast .under the breast where he cut me and where the drains were...but it went down ...so i'm free from that..and no i didn't lose sensation..he didn't take out my nipples..and he decided what size to make me...judging from my body size

CEE26
07-10-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by elleebeme5@Jul 9 2003, 09:50 PM
Looking back at the comments, so much of what people said has been true. The nurse swears I'm going to end up a D, I hope so cause right now I feel flat chested. I had to bathe with antibacterial soap for 10 prior to surgery and haven't had any trouble with infection. I was told that the hysterectomy would be worst, and it was initially. But the last two weeks, the shooting pains from the breast reduction have been horrible. I can't imagine going back to work in two weeks like some do. I'm going back August 4th or 11th - we'll see. Sleeping on my back has been awful and unbearable, especially when the good looking brother on the ABC Overnight news is on vacation.

My question: It's time to start massaging - What did you all use? Did anyone use vitamin E?
the sleeping on the back ..killed me..i have to sleep on my stomach..after a year i can..it was year this past april

elleebeme5
07-10-2003, 09:39 PM
I have plenty of sensation in the left nipple; I have considerably less on the right side. The shooting pains are horrible and there's 'tingling' in my cleavage but it's not killing me. I'm not thinking that I'm going to keloid cause so far, the scars are smooth. But starting today, I'm working the vitamin E twice a day to be sure.

Lilah
07-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Today, I made an appt. for a consultation. I'm nervous..but this is something I really need to do. What is Keloid??? For the ones who had the surgery, when were you able to go back to work?

elleebeme5
07-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Lilah@Jul 11 2003, 10:41 AM
Today, I made an appt. for a consultation. I'm nervous..but this is something I really need to do. What is Keloid??? For the ones who had the surgery, when were you able to go back to work?
Keloids are raised scars. Many black people get them so make sure that your plastic surgeon has had positive outcomes with black people. I had another surgery so am work for that 8 weeks. However, the standard time off work is 2-3 weeks but it's been almost 5 for me and my chest is still painful.

Good luck. Make sure you are a part of the decision about what size you want to go. Insurance might determine the minimum amount and you'll certainly want the PS's opinion about what size might be best for your frame, but it is ultimately your call.