PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Crown & Glory Challenge

cooyah
12-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Basics of the Challenge:

*Wear braids or twists with or out without extentions, or even weaves if that suits you for atleast 6 months or longer.

*Take the proper steps to insure your hair's health. ie. washing, conditioning, deep conditioning, moisturizing etc..

*Report your progress once a month

~~~ Rules borrowed from Purpilicious's original C&G Thread~~~

My hair is at a hinky length weird getting on my nerves stage and I need to keep my hands out of it.

Challenge will go from 1 Jan 08 to the last week in December of 08, with resting periods of your choice.

Anyone want to join me?

NewlyNappyNelle
12-03-2007, 01:13 AM
A whole year?! :)

cooyah
12-03-2007, 01:49 AM
yup the WHOLE year :) with two week breaks in between each session, so 6 - 8 weeks in, 2 weeks with your hair out

NewlyNappyNelle
12-03-2007, 02:10 AM
I guess I'm doing this by being in the Protective Style Challenge. I just don't know.... my summer without my puff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll go insane.

But in actuality- I'm in *faithfully* till probably May. So sign me in! :D

Urbanite
12-03-2007, 05:26 AM
I'm in. I may cheat a bit in the summer because my hair likes to be out in the heat but other than that, I'm down. I strive to keep my hair in protective styles anyway...I just always say I don't have time. This will keep me accountable.

jkelly0204
12-03-2007, 05:43 AM
im in with some cheats in the summer. i planned on doing this anyway.

detshorty05
12-03-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm In. I want to be at BSL by April 2009 so hopefully this will propel me towards my goal. Right now I am a little bit under collarbone length.

Natural-Tee
12-03-2007, 07:18 AM
I'm in! I basicly started two weeks ago with mini twists. This morning I put my hair up in an updo that I will keep until Thursday (wash day).

tpace
12-03-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm in I started in October and in my 2week rest period, but I may have to cheat a little during the summer also. My hair :wub: the humidity.

nappypsychgirl
12-03-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm in. Progress every month? I think I can handle that.

Jazitones
12-03-2007, 07:32 AM
This is the test for me, because I seriously have HIF disease. I will join this challenge. :blush:

yup the WHOLE year :) with two week breaks in between each session, so 6 - 8 weeks in, 2 weeks with your hair out
[/b]

Okay I can do this! :D

Chyna Black
12-03-2007, 07:32 AM
This is the test for me, because I seriously have HIF disease. I will join this challenge. :blush:
[/b]

Same sentiments from me Jazi serious HIF, but I think I will join this challenge. I need to try to grow it out because lately I want to chop it all.

LoveMyHair1
12-03-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm in. I think this will be a great challenge for me. I already wear braids and twists most of the time. Good luck everyone! :)

misstrini
12-03-2007, 07:50 AM
I'm not in the Protective Style Challenge but I am in protective mode right now. I'm wearing braids with extensions, started in October since I usually give my hair a break for the cold months. Six months for me will be in March but I will probably go through May when it starts warming up. Like another poster said, can't go without my puff
in the summer.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/candyapple690/HairPics2001-1.jpg
Current style

Earthen~Blossom
12-03-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm in!

Sxybrina19
12-03-2007, 08:49 AM
I am doing this one. I'm up for the challenge. I usually wear braids 8 months out of the year so this should be interesting.

Chyna Black
12-03-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm not in the Protective Style Challenge but I am in protective mode right now. I'm wearing braids with extensions, started in October since I usually give my hair a break for the cold months. Six months for me will be in March but I will probably go through May when it starts warming up. Like another poster said, can't go without my puff
in the summer.

Current style
[/b]

Are these individual braids that you tied in the back? Oh I :wub: it. Now just need to get some more hair and I will join yall before the first of the year.

misstrini
12-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Are these individual braids that you tied in the back? Oh I :wub: it. Now just need to get some more hair and I will join yall before the first of the year.
[/b]

Thanks Chyna! They are individuals braids pulled back and pinned up. You can see the front in my avatar.

NewlyNappyNelle
12-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Current style
[/b]

Beautiful!!!

Your hair in your siggy is gorgeous too. See now looking at your siggy, I wanna play with my hair. <_< lol

vickiepickles
12-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Misstrini, I love your hair!

Twixxy
12-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Misstrini, I love your hair!
[/b]

I would love to join but I dont have enough hair to braid yet!!! But I am looking forwad to the next challenge.

blackbeauty398
12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I&#39;m glad you started this thread cause I was planning to do this anyway. Much more fun with others joining in. My protective style is box braids and I plan on taking them down every two months and redo them until December 08. I will do a month to month comparison with the braids.

khandace
12-03-2007, 02:21 PM
count me in...good luck everyone! :D

B_Phlyy
12-03-2007, 02:23 PM
I&#39;m in, but I won&#39;t be getting braids until later on this month or in January. I actually just took some braids out (they had been in since August) and had planned on doing this anyway.

Hadasah
12-03-2007, 02:27 PM
I&#39;ll twist my hair this Friday and participate!

cooyah
12-03-2007, 02:54 PM
yay peoples!!

It is more fun when you have other people

I&#39;ll be using my own hair to twist for the rest of the year and then get micros in January and keep them all year, redoing it section by section

Ipanema
12-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I&#39;ll join. I&#39;ve been doing the protective style challenge, but not really sticking to one style for any length of time, so I&#39;m going to do this. Box braids without extensions for a whole year, re-doing them every 6 weeks...Then wearing it loose for 2 weeks.

Yekomod
12-03-2007, 03:34 PM
yep im in, cause i planned on doing this anyways!! im throwing in some pinch plaits for the year

buttaflybaby
12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
lovin the hair ladies.

Ash2005
12-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Gosh, I don&#39;t think I can make it a full year, but I&#39;ll shoot for June and then go from there. I am REALLY lazy and I HATE twisting my hair, so yes, this will definitely be a challenge for me!

guapa1
12-03-2007, 04:41 PM
I had plans to do this anyway, so yep I&#39;ll join.

caribbelle
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
i&#39;m in...i did my braids 2 weeks ago. I&#39;ll keep doing them until christmas 08. I&#39;ll redo them ever 2 months. Then i&#39;ll probably do braids for another year or so :D :D :D

ladydd
12-03-2007, 06:00 PM
I&#39;m in the challenge. I re-twisted my hair Friday night and I will wear these for 3 weeks, wash and re-twist. My goal is shoulder length by Jan 2008. Any longer than that will be gravy.

And this challenge will give me an opportunity to decide if I want to do Sisterlocs.

justMiMi
12-03-2007, 06:03 PM
I&#39;m in but prob till like april or june :blush: cuz I know I&#39;m gonna rock a fro or something once the weather is consistently warmer

misstrini
12-03-2007, 07:20 PM
:wub: thanks ladies! Really appreciate the comments. These braids are exactly 2 months old tomorrow 12/4 and hoping to get a couple more weeks before I re-do. I usually take a 2 week break between styles but I&#39;m going right back in since i&#39;ll be going away for Christmas and New Years.

msajoyt
12-03-2007, 07:43 PM
I&#39;m in 2. I just put box braids in for the first time on Thursday. So I guess I will keep it going. I gave gotten a lot compliments. So folks is geekin me up. I&#39;m at the bottom of myneck in the back and the mid of neck on the sides. I hope to be shoulder length if not longer.

cutenap123
12-03-2007, 07:44 PM
i am in!!!! soooo i should be getting a weave in a week, then keeping that for two months...with a 2-3 week rest period then doing it again. My hair is in a twa right now (3 inches)....hope to get it to 6 inches by july! :D i wanna get a nappy looking weave though.....do you guys know what kinds i should be looking for? i want it kinky but not a synthetic afro. please advise

Curly T
12-04-2007, 04:49 AM
I&#39;m in as well. I will try my best to keep going until Dec 08. I have braids in at the moment and they have been in for almost 1 month. I am going to get a sew in weave next week or after and keep that in for at least two month. I am not sure if I will have any breaks in the first 6 months. I am looking for major length retention and need to be at a solid 10 inches by Dec 08.

Good luck everyone.

gressr
12-04-2007, 07:32 AM
I want in on this challenge. This will be my first time in one of these since my BC in Feb. Time to learn some protective styles.

Natural-Tee
12-04-2007, 08:20 AM
i am in!!!! soooo i should be getting a weave in a week, then keeping that for two months...with a 2-3 week rest period then doing it again. My hair is in a twa right now (3 inches)....hope to get it to 6 inches by july! :D i wanna get a nappy looking weave though.....do you guys know what kinds i should be looking for? i want it kinky but not a synthetic afro. please advise
[/b]

Check out Hairsisters.com http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/ShoppingLi...on=10&value1=27 (http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/ShoppingList.php?viewOption=1&sortOption=0&listType=2&searchOption=10&value1=27)

There is also a few threads in the nappy styles workshop about weaves. I&#39;m still deciding if I want to get a sew-in or continue with the twists.

Chyna Black
12-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Okay I just lost my post........ :Angry:

Once again.....with this challenge in mind last night I two strand my hair with five flat twists in the front. I plan to TRY to wear this style for two weeks then I will put in either braids or yarn twists. I forced my daughter to take part also... :blush: she is currently wearing box braids until Friday. I will twist her back up with kinky hair until the first of year.

I so excited!! Good luck ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!

caribbelle
12-05-2007, 06:54 PM
i&#39;m really going to make and effort to do this, i&#39;m excited as well. Good luck ladies!!!

noir_lovely
12-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I am already ahead of the game :P ! I started twisting this month. I am totally in.

ursula10
12-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I&#39;m in. I twisted my hair tonight and I plan to wear twists until Christmas, then wear a twist out for about a week then back to twists for a month alternating with a one week twist out.

jgossett
12-06-2007, 01:23 AM
I&#39;m in!! I&#39;m alternating plaits and twists. Trying to keep them in for more than half of a week before redoing them until the new year come in.

sdfoxe86
12-06-2007, 07:34 AM
I&#39;m in! I basicly started two weeks ago with mini twists. This morning I put my hair up in an updo that I will keep until Thursday (wash day).
[/b]

Hi Natural-T, I looked at your Fotki. How did you get that "best puff ever"!! I have the hardest time trying to get my puff to come out neat. What&#39;s your secret, if you don&#39;t mind sharing.

Natural-Tee
12-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi Natural-T, I looked at your Fotki. How did you get that "best puff ever"!! I have the hardest time trying to get my puff to come out neat. What&#39;s your secret, if you don&#39;t mind sharing.
[/b]

That pic is from 2004 and I don&#39;t really remember! :huh: My hair hasn&#39;t looked that healthy and thick since then, that&#39;s why I&#39;m in the challenge. I&#39;ve been destroying my hair because I don&#39;t have time for it.

I do know that I used a bra strap to hold it in place and Fantasia with sparklelites gel to smooth the edges. I think I used to pick it out, smooth in the sparkle lites and brush, put in the headband starting on my forehead and then push it back to the point that I wanted. The headband was already at the correct tension. Then you tie a scarf around the whole thing trying not to crush the puff. You can also leave the puff out when you put on the scarf but I found that my puff wouldn&#39;t look as round.

Hey, I guess I do remember! :lol:

missCONGENIALity
12-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Count me in. I think this will help in my quest. The only issue I have is getting bored.

natural06
12-06-2007, 06:49 PM
I&#39;m in until my baby arrives in may.

cutenap123
12-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Check out Hairsisters.com http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/ShoppingLi...on=10&value1=27 (http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/ShoppingList.php?viewOption=1&sortOption=0&listType=2&searchOption=10&value1=27)

There is also a few threads in the nappy styles workshop about weaves. I&#39;m still deciding if I want to get a sew-in or continue with the twists.
[/b]

Thanks Natural-Tee! I went to this commercial hair sale place and i got a synthetic weave that read "dread lock weaving" although i dont intend to do any dread locks but it looks very pretty and afro kinky.....getting it done in 6 days! soo excited....i want to take a pic and learn how to post it once its done.

cooyah
12-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I&#39;m putting in some microtwists using my own hair, why why why?

I have to keep these in for at least two months.

sweetcurl
12-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Count me In!!!!!
This is what I do during the cold months

simply natural
12-06-2007, 09:32 PM
i&#39;m in....i commit to 6 mths though (12 is a lil too long for me).

Basics of the Challenge:

*Wear braids or twists with or out without extentions, or even weaves if that suits you for atleast 6 months or longer.

*Take the proper steps to insure your hair&#39;s health. ie. washing, conditioning, deep conditioning, moisturizing etc..

~~~ Rules borrowed from Purpilicious&#39;s original C&G Thread~~~

My hair is at a hinky length weird getting on my nerves stage and I need to keep my hands out of it.

Challenge will go from 1 Jan 08 to the last week in December of 08, with resting periods of your choice.

Anyone want to join me?
[/b]

BrnNappyGrl
12-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I&#39;m in for this one until the summer... this will be my first one with an almost BAA, so you know I&#39;m rockin&#39; that all day long!

santwon
12-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Alright. I&#39;m in. I&#39;ll stick with it until at least summer. It&#39;s cool to see everyone ready to wear their hair out and wild this upcoming summer. We haven&#39;t even welcomed Christmas yet!!

Natural-Tee
12-07-2007, 08:26 AM
cutenap: Your welcome and I can&#39;t wait to see pics.

cooyah: How are you going to maintain your micro twists for two months. I&#39;m in the process of taking mine out that I put in 3 weeks ago. They are a tangled mess, I couldn&#39;t imagine them at 2 months. I conditoned, moisturized and washed. I need some help!

neliani1
12-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Basics of the Challenge:

*Take the proper steps to insure your hair&#39;s health. ie. washing, conditioning, deep conditioning, moisturizing etc..

Anyone want to join me?
[/b]

I am in!!! I had planned on keeping it braided up anyway. The summers here get to about 120 degrees and the sand and wind are no joke. The two weeks of a break will be when I go on R&R. This challenge is right on time. :D Woo Hoo!!!

msdeevan
12-07-2007, 03:34 PM
cutenap: Your welcome and I can&#39;t wait to see pics.

cooyah: How are you going to maintain your micro twists for two months. I&#39;m in the process of taking mine out that I put in 3 weeks ago. They are a tangled mess, I couldn&#39;t imagine them at 2 months. I conditoned, moisturized and washed. I need some help!
[/b]

I would love to be in this challenge but is there any where on here where we can see specific guidelines and how-tos for this on here or should I go to the C&G site.?

I wear mostly twists as a protective style but like Natural-Tee I have a lot of breakage and tangled ends when I keep my twists in. My hair is about APL when I stretch it out but I noticed that it&#39;s only about 1 inch or so longer than last year even though I have it mostly twisted I even put the Bigen on my hairline and rinse it out with the twists in. My hair tends to tangle and knot together at the ends and I can lose a lot of length like that. I would love to do micro-twists but I&#39;m sure I&#39;ll have a tangled mess too . I may have to take my extension hair and do kinky twists. any suggestions? anyone with guidelines?

Hadasah
12-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Okay, so I went out today so I wasn&#39;t able to do my hair.
Tomorrow, I promise.

cw_2007
12-08-2007, 05:52 AM

[/b]

I am in, too. This is my first challenge! :D I have a TWA though - somewhat around 3-4inches, so I don&#39;t know what I can do with this length, but thanks to Natural-Tee, I&#39;ll be checking this site out. I&#39;m going to try to shoot for Christmas, but I know that I will have 6-7 inches by summer, and I may want to wear it out then.

cooyah
12-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I would love to be in this challenge but is there any where on here where we can see specific guidelines and how-tos for this on here or should I go to the C&G site.?

I wear mostly twists as a protective style but like Natural-Tee I have a lot of breakage and tangled ends when I keep my twists in.
[/b]

Preparation: Your hair must be in good condition before applying extended hair especially if wearing for 2 months at a time.

Conditioning: Deep condition at least 4 weeks---once a week with Le Kair Cholesterol Plus (or a good protein conditioner). Le Kair&#39;s Cholesterol Plus is a very inexpensive conditioner--but it does the job. (it is pink in color--not green)

How To Condition: Apply Le kair&#39;s Cholesterol Plus all over the hair, placing a plastic cap (processing cap) on and sitting under a hooded dryer for 30-60 minutes. If you have no hooded dryer, then wrap a towel around the plastic cap for 2 hours, If you have a heating cap, put on the processing cap and and then the heating cap for 40-60 minutes. You can also use a hair steamer for 30 minutes---- then rinse and use a reputable leave-in strengthener. Infusium 23 is a good one, I think the older formula of Infusium 23 is better, however you can add a little spring water to the new formula.

Braid Style: Plaits individual braids no smaller than a pencil. They are not too small but medium size and easier to take out. If you decide to add beads, add to the ends of the braid extension that are not part of your hair so that you&#39;ll keep your healthy ends--or put snag less rubber bands at the ends and put the beads over the rubber bands.

Parts for braid extensions should be about a half inch to an inch. People with finer delicate hair should make parts around the hair line smaller so that their will be no tension

Method Used: Plaits with the extended hair attached securely to the scalp. Not tightly pulled up from the scalp. No excessive products near the base of the scalp. Watch my Learning To Do Braid Extensions Video to attach the braids securely.

Time It Takes: 7-18 hours depending on the size of the braids.
How Long To Keep Style: From 2 months at a time if you&#39;re braiding to grow the hair.

Type Of Extended Hair: 100% kanekalon Fiber hair.

OTHER BRAID STYLES:

You can use natural braids such as natural plaits, natural cornrows, and natural twists for the Braid Regimen as well. The Braid Extensions grow the hair faster because there is slight pressure on the base of your scalp that is encouraging growth (this is not the same as pressure of pulling out the hair)

***Cornrows that are extensions should only remain in your hair for 2 weeks at a time because they become severely matted if left in longer.

The Braid Extensions: Attach the braid extensions without tightly tugging at the scalp. If you put the braids in tight, you will not allow your hair its full potential of thickness and luster. The Braid regimen is to grow your hair healthy and full. If you&#39;d like to Learn To Do Braid Extensions, see this link.

Shampoo your hair in the shower the following day so that the style will fall into place naturally If you are using Extensions for Individual braids or Plaits. See The Shampoo Regimen for braids

Towel Squeeze Excess Water

Wear a towel around the braids until the excess water is absorbed or look into The Braid Extensions Shampoo Towel which holds excessive run off after shampooing braids. Absorb the excessive water before you&#39;ve applied the braid spray.

Use braid spray that&#39;s not oily.Oil will make the braids harder to take out/down (matting at the base of the scalp) which may cause you to have to cut out the matted section. African Pride or African Royale are good brands. Include a hair strengthener such as Infiusium 23. These 2 products will help condition, soften, strengthen and keep the sheen in your hair and the Kanekalon fiber hair. You&#39;ll see the results when you take the extended hair out.

To saturate your braid extensions thoroughly with these 2 products, add Infusium 23 leave-in hair strengthener and African Royale Braid Spray--Or African Pride to a large ceramic bowl and sponge on thoroughly with a sea sponge.

Avoid applying the 2 products on your scalp daily. example, After shampooing and towel squeezing your braids, lightly apply the hair strengthener and braid spray on the scalp one time all over. Spray the 2 products on your scalp only after you have shampooed your hair and scalp. This is to avoid build up near the base of the braids. However, sponge the strengthener and braid spray on your braids as often as you wish.

Some do not need the 2 products on their braids everyday except in dry and humid climates. However, at least apply every other day.

Since build Up is more prominent above the ears and the last row in the back/neck,

Every 2 weeks, redo at least 2-3 braids in these sections.

Build up is when you start to feel the base of the braid matte where the new growth is coming in.

The more silkier the hair, the more possible build up in these areas, but anyone who plans to wear extensions for 2 months should redo these areas every 2 weeks to avoid extreme build up.

Build up can become like dreads if put braid spray and Infiusium 23 on the Scalp/base of your braid every day.

Taking Out The Braid Extensions
Unravel the braid after clipping the tip that does not have your hair engrafted within it. If the braid extensions are put in by a simple extension attachment, this process will not be a task.

Build Up From Braids
When you get to the scalp base, there may be a small build up, with your fingers, move the section back and forth gently until it begins to loosen up. There should not be a excessive build up if you used the braid spray sparingly on your scalp. When it loosens up, begin to separate this section with your fingers. It should not be too difficult. After you&#39;ve separated this area, begin to comb through. Avoid a fine toothed comb. The smallest comb should be medium sized. Repeat this with the remainder of your braids.

BRAID EXTENSIONS LEFT IN TOO LONG
If you already have braid extensions and have had them in for an extended amount of time ---and realize you may be faced with difficulty removing them, look at my video--Taking Out Braid Extensions. This video and DVD is only recommended for extreme build up. OR look below to see

http://growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

Yekomod
12-15-2007, 02:22 PM
well i just started to get my hair braided in pinch plaits today, hopefully they will be done tomorrow i still have the front and middle to get done

AyannaDivine
12-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Count me in on the challenge. I can&#39;t wait to experiment w/ different braided styles!

catrina2223
12-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Count me in!!!! :D

I will have to cheat for a day in February...i&#39;m getting married and already planned how i&#39;d do my hair! But...i promise to be right back on the next day!! :) This is gonna be great!!!

Yekomod
12-16-2007, 08:28 PM
finally got my micros in!! they are pretty much done just have a lil section left

http://a759.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/103/l_dd0402e1d873cb8ada9153f96fd8c636.jpg

i hope to keep these in till the summer, just get my edges redone every 2months

bebedee
12-16-2007, 09:11 PM
SweetNique, those micros are too cute!!! You make me want to get some micros now instead of the kinky twists I plan to get.

Just be careful with applying too much tension on your hairline when you sleep or pull your hair back.

sugarysnowpea
12-16-2007, 09:39 PM
I&#39;m in, in, in! I actually started wearing my hair in twist and nothing but (except one twist out for a party) since October. So lets see if I can wear twist for a whole year and 2months!

B_Phlyy
12-16-2007, 09:41 PM
I&#39;m so bad about updating with challenges, probably why I don&#39;t do them that much. I got braids in last week and my first wash will be tomorrow.

Mica3gold
12-16-2007, 09:51 PM
I&#39;m in as well. I just hope I don&#39;t get bored with the braids!

Yekomod
12-16-2007, 10:40 PM
SweetNique, those micros are too cute!!! You make me want to get some micros now instead of the kinky twists I plan to get.

Just be careful with applying too much tension on your hairline when you sleep or pull your hair back.
[/b]

THANK-YOU :wub:

i know them braids in the very front will be out by next week:(

SoSoul
12-17-2007, 12:34 AM
OH I am SOOO IN!! I have been trying to follow this routine (C&G). i just put some braids in my hair on the first on this month. so i&#39;m good for a while.

finally got my micros in!! they are pretty much done just have a lil section left

http://a759.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/103/l_dd0402e1d873cb8ada9153f96fd8c636.jpg

i hope to keep these in till the summer, just get my edges redone every 2months
[/b]

did u do these yourself? they are pretty

RieB81
12-17-2007, 01:14 AM
I&#39;m definitely in. I was planning to put some in a little at a time starting this week. These will be my first attempt by myself.

HoneyNut
12-17-2007, 04:24 AM
In! Won&#39;t stop the HiH. it&#39;ll jus be Hand in Braidz instead of Hand in Fro, but hopefully i&#39;ll be protecting my hurr and encouragin some growth

Yekomod
12-17-2007, 07:38 AM
OH I am SOOO IN!! I have been trying to follow this routine (C&G). i just put some braids in my hair on the first on this month. so i&#39;m good for a while.
did u do these yourself? they are pretty
[/b]

OOOOOHHHH HECK NO...LOL, I WOULD HAVE GAVE UP AFTER THE FIRST 30MINS AND I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO DO HAIR...LOL, but im still not done today will make the third and last day to get these bad boys done, but i have this lady who stay not too far from me do them she does most my friends hair!!

cooyah
12-17-2007, 03:09 PM
your micros are sooo pretty sweetnique!

nappyrina
12-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Count me in at least until the weather warms up!! i won&#39;t be soo strict then but will still try to protect my hair as much as possible....

I&#39;ll be wearing my hair in medium to large braids or twists underneath wigs all winter b/c I am not yet comfortable w/ my current length to wear my natural individual braids or twists.

Question:
Are we supposed to be posting pics month to month to show progress?

mandyjl
12-17-2007, 07:06 PM
I&#39;m in. Let&#39;s hope I stick with this challenge. I&#39;ll be doing box braids with my own hair for a week. Then I&#39;ll take the braids down one by one and replace them with twists. This should last me 2 weeks. Then repeat. Except on days when I have med school interviews.
My last set of braids was put in two fridays ago. I&#39;m doing twists right now. Wish me luck.

SoSoul
12-18-2007, 12:41 AM
ok, Profective has a new line of mega growth products that i would like to try during this challenge.http://strengthofnature.com/megaline.asp i heard it was good to switch lines of products you use on your hair every so often so i will alternate between Profective and Rasta Mango & Lime.

illustratedstarr
12-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Am I too late to join?????

cooyah
12-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Question:
Are we supposed to be posting pics month to month to show progress?
[/b]

Just one picture at the beginning and then your progress once you finish at either 6 months or 1 year

not to late to start at all. we officially begin 1 January 2008 and finish 31 December 2008

samgrav
12-20-2007, 08:50 PM
I am down with this I have the twist in my hair now, i will post a pic next week. its easy to have your hair in braids for 6 months.

jgossett
12-20-2007, 11:50 PM
cool, this goes right along with the protective challenge and the bsl challenge!!

natural06
12-21-2007, 01:29 AM
I said may but I will try to go a little longer.

illustratedstarr
12-21-2007, 02:26 AM
Just one picture at the beginning and then your progress once you finish at either 6 months or 1 year

not to late to start at all. we officially begin 1 January 2008 and finish 31 December 2008
[/b]

Oooh this is perfect because I was already tryng to do this by myself! I have micro&#39;s at the moment and i&#39;m getting them re-done next week so i&#39;ll officially join this challenge then with a starting picture and everything. Awww I&#39;m all excited now!

Lynn87
12-21-2007, 05:56 AM
!!!!!!!!!I&#39;m in I&#39;m in!!!!!!!!!!!
the next time i want to see my hair loose is in 09, because in the first few monthes of 09 i have to go to Texas for my new military job-->combat medic here i come :)
w/ a full head of healthy hair to fit back for a good military appropriate bun..
this is really great ladies i have a year set side to get into top shape and to have a healthy head of hair with a great hair routine to boot
Thanks in advance for all the support
Love you Ladies!!!
pics posted soon

godsprincess
12-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Im in on this one too ladies. I&#39;ll be getting braids the next week!!!

HoneyNut
12-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Heyy. I&#39;m bout to try out some extensions, and see how long they last. Camera&#39;s acting up so until i get it fixed, no pics. :( But i have some recentish pics.

cooyah
12-21-2007, 05:44 PM
yay! welcome to all the new recruits. I&#39;m going to do a post with all of the participants probably next week but definitely by the new year.

I&#39;ll update my fotki with starting pics then as well. I&#39;ll be deep conditioning intensely from now until I get my micros.

cuteazz1
12-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey.I just put in a set of 5 week box braids...I am in the challenge.Good growing ladies.

NoVAGirl
12-22-2007, 05:34 AM
Count me in! I have about 7 in. stretched.

missjade
12-25-2007, 06:21 PM
cool, this goes right along with the protective challenge and the bsl challenge!!
[/b]

IA. And I&#39;m in both, so it&#39;s fitting that I join this one too!
You&#39;re beautiful Cooyah! I love that pic!

I&#39;ll be wearing kinky twist extensions for the year...while keeping up my normal hair regimen.

SoSoul
12-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I have so many idea of how i want to do my hair this year for these challenges. Especially this one.

damaria
12-26-2007, 11:21 AM
hey ladies! I was on the gro afrohair long website, and they have some good hair care ideas. My one dilemma is, I am not a fan of any weave, and the onlly thing I really would try is kinky twists. I am transitioning, and have VERY thin temple areas, so I am terrified of losing any of the rest of my hairline. SO, are there any other options to hide your hair? I did the cornrow thing for a while, I think I will go back to that, but once again, I am limited because of my thinning hair! I think I will put in my own kinky twists so they are loose at the root, keep those in for about 6 weeks, then do cornrows. I plan to BC in 8/08, so this will be great to gro my hair if I can stick to it. I am a chronic hair changer, and I love styling my loose hair. so this one will be really hard. Anyone out there feel me? I am going to miss my hair! :(

illustratedstarr
12-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I can&#39;t wait till this challenege officially starts! I&#39;m enjoying a few days of loose hair at the moment until Friday :D

Yasintha
12-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Basics of the Challenge:

Anyone want to join me?
[/b]

In the 6 months re-twisting is included I hope?! I keep my hair in twists 98% off the time. A have a leazy period know so my hair is loose. I checked out the website myself I will not do everything the do but I do try to do as much as is possible. Coun&#39;t me in.

Afrocana07
12-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah I been thinking bout this for awhile!!! and I THINK i can do it... at least i&#39;ll try to do as long as I can and plus I just joined the PSC so this won&#39;t be to hard. Cheers to healthy hair!!! :lol:

gertgert07
12-26-2007, 03:03 PM
THIS, is what I call a challenge. I&#39;m Nervous, but I&#39;m in!!

I&#39;ll miss the fro..but it&#39;s all for the wholesome goodness. Let&#39;s see what box braid/twist styles I can come up with....
I&#39;ve also been debating locs, in the back of my mind..the thought comes and goes...more frequently now than ever. So if I can make it one year without loose hair..............ya know? Yeah.

Good luck ladies :D

cooyah
12-27-2007, 08:11 AM
In the 6 months re-twisting is included I hope?! I keep my hair in twists 98% off the time. A have a leazy period know so my hair is loose. I checked out the website myself I will not do everything the do but I do try to do as much as is possible. Coun&#39;t me in.
[/b]

:lol: most definitely, every 2 to 3 weeks is recommended especially for the nape sides and edges

:blush: aww thank you missjade

misstrini
12-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey ladies. Just took those braids out, last night actually, and having them re-done tomorrow. The style will be very similar except I&#39;m probably going to wear it pulled back in the front and down in the back. I will post a pic. Hopefully these will last as long as the first set which will take me through the end of March into April. I will probably take a break in April then decide what I&#39;m doing once the weather warms up.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

lyric77
12-27-2007, 01:47 PM
me too !

Yasintha
12-27-2007, 02:48 PM
:lol: most definitely, every 2 to 3 weeks is recommended especially for the nape sides and edges

:blush: aww thank you missjade
[/b]

We would all end up with dreads. Most off the time a where my twists for 2 weaks and then wash end twist my hair again.

cooyah
12-27-2007, 04:11 PM
yasintha I noticed you started a new fotki because you didn&#39;t have anymore space in the old one. To get more MB for fotki go to

My Settings > Account Information > Add 10 MB

Yasintha
12-27-2007, 04:42 PM
yasintha I noticed you started a new fotki because you didn&#39;t have anymore space in the old one. To get more MB for fotki go to

My Settings > Account Information > Add 10 MB
[/b]

Thnx! :D I changed my settings.

billyne
12-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Gosh, I don&#39;t think I can make it a full year, but I&#39;ll shoot for June and then go from there. I am REALLY lazy and I HATE twisting my hair, so yes, this will definitely be a challenge for me!
[/b]
yeah..i&#39;m with you.i used to twist it all the time..but the longer it gets the more time it takes. *sighs* but this crown and glory stuff works! i tried it for a year and my hair really grew. i just put twists in my hair..so count me in!

AyannaDivine
12-27-2007, 06:34 PM
How does everyone plan on soothing the itchies while their hair is in braids??? I was thinking about using my Tea Tree Pomade but i&#39;m not sure if it will cause buildup on my scalp.

hey ladies! I was on the gro afrohair long website, and they have some good hair care ideas. My one dilemma is, I am not a fan of any weave, and the onlly thing I really would try is kinky twists. I am transitioning, and have VERY thin temple areas, so I am terrified of losing any of the rest of my hairline. SO, are there any other options to hide your hair? I did the cornrow thing for a while, I think I will go back to that, but once again, I am limited because of my thinning hair! I think I will put in my own kinky twists so they are loose at the root, keep those in for about 6 weeks, then do cornrows. I plan to BC in 8/08, so this will be great to gro my hair if I can stick to it. I am a chronic hair changer, and I love styling my loose hair. so this one will be really hard. Anyone out there feel me? I am going to miss my hair! :(
[/b]

Hey Jazzy, I feel ya girl! My hairline is thinning too but I&#39;m still going to get my micro braids. I&#39;ll just have to make sure that my stylist doesn&#39;t braid too tightly around my edges. This also means that I&#39;ll probably have to get my edges redone more often than usual, but its more than worth it in my opinion. Have you considered getting some really small individual braids (box braids)? If your braids are long enough you should be able to wear them in an up-do, a pony-tail, straight back or whatever. OR you can get micro braids w/ the ends left loose and you&#39;ll still be able to style your hair just about the same way you do now! You can even use a c.urling iron or flat i.ron on your ends. There are so many ways you can play around with micros, this should cure your "chronic hair changer-ism" for sure!;)

MzHoneyLocs
12-27-2007, 06:41 PM
I put my hair in micro twists about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and was thinking about doing protective styles at least through half of 2008....I may have to cheat a few times, but I&#39;m game.

I think the challenge for me will be the &#39;no extensions&#39; part....

illustratedstarr
12-30-2007, 05:30 PM
I&#39;m officially starting guys. Had my micro&#39;s put in today :) a 5.30am wake up call, 8 and a half hours and a seriously stiff butt later, here they are :P :

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g281/illustratedstarr/HairAgain109.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g281/illustratedstarr/HairAgain108.jpg

Theres a million more pics of the whole process in my album. I bough braid spray but I wanna order greg juice from oyin to see if that will do the trick of keeping my hair moisturised while it&#39;s in the braids. Gonna pick up some vitamin supplements this week too.

gertgert07
12-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Beautiful braids, A.Starr!!! Good luck on the challenge.

cooyah
12-31-2007, 12:10 AM
OK LADIES!! Are we ready? 2008 is on our doorsteps just knocking to get in.

Since I can&#39;t find anyone to do micros for me I&#39;ll be putting in my own kinky twists with extensions and try to keep them in for at least 6 weeks.

SoSoul
12-31-2007, 12:30 AM
i have sooo many cute natural styles!! Especially TODAy at work. making ut really hard to keep these braids in for the next month. But i promise myself i will!

illustratedstarr
12-31-2007, 04:12 AM
Beautiful braids, A.Starr!!! Good luck on the challenge.
[/b]

Thank you! ^_^

OK LADIES!! Are we ready? 2008 is on our doorsteps just knocking to get in.

Since I can&#39;t find anyone to do micros for me I&#39;ll be putting in my own kinky twists with extensions and try to keep them in for at least 6 weeks.
[/b]

This is my first ever challenge so I&#39;m a little over excited lol! :lol:

Jazitones
12-31-2007, 04:36 AM
Already and have begun my challenge. :D Got micro braids put in yesterday.

carlina
12-31-2007, 04:58 AM
Hello,

Today Im becoming natural by getting my hair chop off... I don&#39;t know how short it may be to do this challenge being new to this will help me out a lot to stick to it. So add me to this challenge...

Newbie to the natural exprience

illustratedstarr
12-31-2007, 06:01 AM
Hello,

Today Im becoming natural by getting my hair chop off... I don&#39;t know how short it may be to do this challenge being new to this will help me out a lot to stick to it. So add me to this challenge...

Newbie to the natural exprience
[/b]

Welcome to nappy life carlina! good luck with your bc today ^_^

Yasintha
12-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Love your micro&#39;s A. star. I also start yesterday with the challenge. I put my hair in twists. I will keep them in for two weeks wash my hair and twist it again.

carlina
01-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Welcome to nappy life carlina! good luck with your bc today ^_^
[/b]

I did it I chop it all the way off it where my new growth started and its curly. WoW! I went to watch night service and people who&#39;s a hair styles love my very short chop. I was nervous at first I am so glad I did it.
It&#39;s is definitley a New Beginning and some getting us to. Well like I said before.... It too short to twist I know this thick hair of my I feel new growth within two week. When I get it to twist I am on my way to protect my hair...... Its a mind set here where I at I believe with website and support others I will stay true to myself and affect others in postive light being true to their selves. :wub:

Stay nappy(HAPPY) :lol:

Lynn87
01-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Happy New Year
1-1-08
I put my hair in mini twists last week. i just washed it yesturday and they shrunk up so cute :)
I&#39;ll be holdin on to these twists as long as possible
*i need to get a shower cap though, so i can keep itmoisturized while i rest
see you in a month

cooyah
01-01-2008, 03:05 PM
WOOT 2008 is here! I&#39;m wearing flat twists, had to wash my hair this morning after bringing in the new year

Yekomod
01-01-2008, 05:34 PM
I&#39;m officially starting guys. Had my micro&#39;s put in today :) a 5.30am wake up call, 8 and a half hours and a seriously stiff butt later, here they are :P :

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g281/illustratedstarr/HairAgain109.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g281/illustratedstarr/HairAgain108.jpg

Theres a million more pics of the whole process in my album. I bough braid spray but I wanna order greg juice from oyin to see if that will do the trick of keeping my hair moisturised while it&#39;s in the braids. Gonna pick up some vitamin supplements this week too.
[/b]

YOUR BRAIDS ARE SOOOO PRETTY!!

illustratedstarr
01-02-2008, 03:10 AM
Thank you SweetNiQue!

nappyjam
01-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Count me in. I will probably cheat a lit, but I will be in it for the long run.

Happy New Year to All

TrueSugar
01-02-2008, 08:04 AM
I am in!!!!!!!!!!

parkinson
01-02-2008, 09:57 AM
I did this 6 years ago where I was wearing loose braids for about 3 or 4 years. They were pencil size and I did them myself so my edges were never tight and I saved a lot of money but they looked cute. I also redid 2 or 3 rows at a time from the back, forward so it always looked fresh. It was not a challange, I was just really into braids at the time, lol. I&#39;m in transition now and cornrowing my shoulder length perm but I can tell you ladies that it works !! Back then my true hair grew so much that it seemed as if I was constantly redoing the braids just to keep up. I also used StaSofFro spray as my daily or every other day moisturizer. I loved it. It just so happens that I&#39;ve been missing my braids lately and want to get them going again while in transition. I&#39;m glad I saw this thread. I&#39;m going to get some hair from the shop right now ! You ladies looks gorgeous !!!

samgrav
01-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey you guys how do you post pics in the thread?
~Bless~

SoSoul
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
STILL GOT THESE CRUSTY A$$ INDIVIDUALS IN MY HAIR. LOL. I&#39;M JUST WAITING FOR THE END OF THIS MONTH.

samgrav
01-04-2008, 12:52 PM
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/8820/normalsugarcanenyear007nx5.th.jpg

thats me in the black dress with my girls on New Years

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6056/normalsugarcanenyear038gn5.th.jpg

i know the pics are small but i dont know how to resize them. anyway my hair will be staying in the two strain twist until i come back from TnT for carnival. then i will do something else with it.

blackbeauty398
01-10-2008, 02:57 PM
bump

caribbelle
01-10-2008, 10:04 PM
bump

fancykinkycoils
01-10-2008, 10:15 PM
I wanna be in!! Though i am already in braids with extensions . i did them about 2 weeks ago. This will be good so that i can continue to grow my hair out before my BC :)

cooyah
01-11-2008, 05:20 PM
how are we doing ladies, glad to see new recruits!

missjade
01-20-2008, 07:22 PM
>BUMPING<

I&#39;m still going strong with my kinky twists. Yesterday made a full month since they&#39;ve been in. They already look fuzzy, but thanks to Canadian weather, I can keep my tam on my head. lol. I&#39;m gonna redo them in February.

How are you ladies doing?

misstrini
01-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Hi everyone! It&#39;s been about 3 weeks since I&#39;ve had my braids re-done. I&#39;ll be shooting for March with this set. I will probably give my hair a break from the braids when I take these out, possibly until April and as the weather warms up I&#39;ll decide what happens next.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/candyapple690/DSC01235.jpg

BlackPearls
01-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Oh I&#39;ll join in too!! I have a set of tiny box braids in at the moment. Plan on keeping them in for at least 2 months minimum :D

nipnappy
01-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Joining...I need this challenge. I was thinking about cutting my hair just last night. Pray I make it. :)

BrnNappyGrl
01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Well as it stands right now, I am up to 2 full weeks with my twists in with one day (usually Friday) with my hair in a puff (see my fotki for pics). :D

Just did my hair yesterday, so I am good to go until the 4th at least. I might try a set of tiny box braids this time... we shall see

apatte4975
01-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Basics of the Challenge:

Anyone want to join me?
[/b]
i&#39;ll join you.. i want below shoulder length hair by january &#39;09. i am just above and right at shoulder length(various lengths).

SoSoul
01-22-2008, 10:46 PM
my boyfriend is already complaining that he hasnt seen my hair and has forgotten what it look like. wants to see my hair. lol. he&#39;ll get over it.

etifaim
01-22-2008, 11:30 PM
I want to join! Starting in February, I should be rockin&#39; twists. I will take a one-week break every month, and I plan to follow this regimen for 6 months. I may go longer, but since this is my first protective style challenge (a relatively new nappy) I&#39;ll defnitely do a minimum of 6 months.

Yekomod
01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
my micros have been in for a lil over a month and already im getting bored with them...lol, i want to try a different hair style but my budget isnt looking to good right now know so i guess ill be keeping these in for a while

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q2/ar03/myspacepix/CellphonePix049.jpg

BlackPearls
01-24-2008, 04:11 AM
Ok so here are my box braids. Took me quite a while to complete but they&#39;ll be staying in for at least a month and a half!

http://images31.fotki.com/v1086/photos/7/743958/5248213/Pics044-vi.jpg

NewlyNappyNelle
01-24-2008, 05:57 AM
^^ Those are pretty BlackPearls!

I finally put my microtwists back in and so far, I love them since it&#39;s freezing at school. I keep playing in them though lol

creativity
01-24-2008, 05:57 AM
^ Wow BP your hair has grown out alot! Seems like those took some major time too.

I am trying to keep twists in the majority of the time. Hopefully I can keep it up until Spring.

yima99
01-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Im in. Im wearing micro braids right now. I need to keep my hair braided up since. Im going to Iraq in August.

Ciera
01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi Ladies,

Is it to late for my to join the challenge?

caribbelle
01-24-2008, 08:10 PM
I recently did cornrows in the front and box braids in the back with my hair. They&#39;ve only been in for a week. I&#39;ll wash my hair and then redo the front if it looks a mess, i really want it to last 2 weeks. I&#39;ve been spraying moisturizing my hair twice daily and my hair is really soft.

purpulicious01
01-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I&#39;m in!

Sorry I&#39;m late. Do we have to post our regimine or anything?

mojiata
01-25-2008, 05:09 PM
hey ladies,
i&#39;ve been stalking :blush: but now i&#39;m in. i had my hair in braids from thanksgiving till last week. i now have my hair in twists. i want to put in some kinky twists next week (my 1st solo attempt). we&#39;ll see how it goes! :D

cooyah
01-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi Ladies,

Is it to late for my to join the challenge?
[/b]

Not at all

I&#39;m still in my twists. Hopefully getting micros next month

welcome all new challengers!

etifaim
01-26-2008, 11:46 PM
bump

My challenge starts in 6 days. 6 months of wearing twists...here I come!

SoSoul
01-28-2008, 01:28 AM
i FINALLY took those crusty a$$ braids out. lol. they had run thier run. lol. today i washed, combed and deep conditioned my hair. i am getting more braids either today or this come friday. looking forward to it

BlackPearls
01-28-2008, 04:11 AM
While we&#39;re all in here, anyone care to post their hair care routine during the challenge?

So far I have been doing an ACV rinse once per week and spritzing my scalp/hair with Greg Juice every few days or so.

NewYorkSHELL
01-28-2008, 04:31 AM
i&#39;m in. i just got a sew-in weave on friday & i plan to get it redone once a month (probably until the end of the year).

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f261/NewYorkSHELL/x.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f261/NewYorkSHELL/w.jpg

Yekomod
01-28-2008, 06:43 AM
i&#39;m in. i just got a sew-in weave on friday & i plan to get it redone once a month (probably until the end of the year).

[/b]

omg YOUR HAIR IS REALLY CUTE!!

what kind of hair is that??? i so want to get that done to my hair next!! :D

NewYorkSHELL
01-28-2008, 06:45 AM
omg YOUR HAIR IS REALLY CUTE!!

what kind of hair is that??? i so want to get that done to my hair next!! :D
[/b]

thanks. it&#39;s model model dreamweaver jerri curl. i used 2.5 packs.

cooyah
01-28-2008, 01:37 PM
MzNewNew, that is absolutely adorable!

My routine is simple, cowash moisturise and then seal with avocado butter

DeepBluSea
01-28-2008, 05:33 PM
I wanna join. I&#39;m going to crown and glory on and off. Question for you ladies: What type of hair do you use? LAst time I used some toykankalon and it looked really fuzzy too quick. Obviously, the hair was too silky.

SoSoul
02-01-2008, 02:28 AM
ok so i finally took pics of my kinky twist that i was not happy with. but i found a way to braid them up and they r cute. plus devin seems to like it. thats always a plus when i dont have to hear his face about my hair lol

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/ABaby_n07/3ef74ebc-b8e7-45e8-963a-7edcc2909e4.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/ABaby_n07/b96649a5-d627-43dc-ac6c-4c70f6254fd.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/ABaby_n07/545ee3a5-8b57-46f2-b9fa-8be466f1e1c.jpg

i bought some new head wraps too

[/b]

this is a beautiful style sweetheart. what type of hair is this?

NewYorkSHELL
02-01-2008, 07:08 AM
thanks. it&#39;s model model dreamweaver jerri curl. i used 2.5 packs. && what&#39;s wrong with your kinky twists? they look good from here!

my hair has been in for a week and i&#39;m still in love. i think i&#39;ll keep it in 2 or 3 more weeks. dc. &get it redone. i&#39;ll keep doing that until may. then cornrows and braided styles until september. then back to weaves and/or kinky twists, until the end of the year. then i&#39;ll probably start all over again. lol.

SoSoul
02-01-2008, 12:18 PM
thats cause i have them covered up and braided up. i mean, they are neat and thats cool. but ends are a mess and she just did a rush rush job, they could look much better for the price.

tyishaj08
02-01-2008, 12:57 PM
This could not have come at a better time. I just gave my self a "trim" and hacked off atleast a years worth of growth :( . Ya&#39;ll gon have to pray for me though because I have never been able to keep a protective style past two weeks...needless to say IM IN :P

msfullroller
02-01-2008, 04:32 PM
On week 1 of my second set of twists of this challenge. The first set lasted 18 days. A record for me. Hope to get a whole 3 maybe even 4 weeks out of these.

cooyah
02-02-2008, 03:52 PM
re did my twists last night, did them bigger this time to cut down on twisting time

pics in my fotki

SoSoul
02-03-2008, 09:52 PM
i&#39;m using profective. this mega growth line to be exact
http://strengthofnature.com/megaline.asp

i like it.

etifaim
02-03-2008, 10:16 PM
OK i&#39;m finally getting started! I joined the challenge about a week ago, and I was waiting until this month to get started. I washed my hair and twisted yesterday, and since this is my first time wearing it in twists they probably won&#39;t hold up that long. I&#39;ll most likely take them out in a week (I was hoping to go for two weeks) but I need more practice.

For now my routine is:
*pre-wash with oils (using evoo, wild growth, and castor right now)
*wash hair weekly with Oyin Poo bar or Dr Bronner&#39;s Castile Soap (with the occasional backing soda clarifying wash)
*deep condition hair each week (using vo5, oyin honey hemp, and evoo)
*acv/lemon juice rinses
*apply moisturizer, stretch hair to dry for a little over an hour, then twist.
*protein treatment every 4-6 weeks
*trim every 3 months
*moisturize ends of hair and spritz head daily

And again, I&#39;ll be having my twists in for 6 months with the ocassional loose hair break (but most likely still in a protective style like a bun)

:)

blackbeauty398
02-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Still hanging in, updates in my album. I&#39;m going to take them down and redo them tonight.

firstladytj
02-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I&#39;m in. Serious HIF has forced me into it. Got twist extensions on Friday 2/1 and I am hoping to keep them in to the end of the month.

Has anyone found some afro hair in between regular kanokelon and kinky twist?

cooyah
02-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Has anyone found some afro hair in between regular kanokelon and kinky twist?
[/b]

no but if anyone does please post! :wub:

TrueSugar
02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I just took my hair down and will have my hair twisted in the morning.

Yekomod
02-09-2008, 05:51 PM
OK I JUST TOOK MY MICROS OUT, I COULDNT DO, I GET TOO BORED EASILY PLUS I MISSED MY HAIR :) BUT GOOD LUCK TO YOU LADIES!!

Lynn87
02-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey ladies its been going good. i will be doing my third set of twists this week. When i am redoing them I have been doing them in sections. i have adopted the baggie method as my nightwear.

SIMPLE NEW 2me METHOD by braiding the root/ base of the twist and braiding the ends too. Just enough to seal to prevent from unraveling. Hey its working grreat for me. The twists are lasting longer. Its making it alot easier to survive this challenge with out the twists unraveling prematurely.
With my third set of twists coming up this week i am going to use Moe&#39;s shealoe mix/pudding or moshealoe (look for the thread) I&#39;ll let you know how it goes
ttyl
Happy Hair Growth & Healthiness

Lynn87
02-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Hey you guys the MoeSheAloe works great. Check out Moes album for details.
See you all next month

Ms.P
02-13-2008, 02:21 PM
I think I can agree to this. I plan on getting it all twisted up anyway soon.

aFrodisiak
02-14-2008, 05:34 AM
I am laaaaaate but can I still join? My hair&#39;s in a new set of twists done last night.. pics are in my fotki :)

godsprincess
02-14-2008, 06:51 AM
:( I&#39;m still in micros. it&#39;s been one month and I miss my hair!!!!

cooyah
02-16-2008, 07:06 AM
OK this time I&#39;m really going to get micros in. I hope to have them in until end of May.

SoSoul
02-28-2008, 10:06 PM
imma try the prewash with essential oils. i would like that. never thought of it b4. what oils do u use? well i still have my kinky twist in. lookin a lil rough. i have been trying to take care of my edges a lil better. they have gotten a lil thin from this. how is everyone eles taking care of there edges. i dont wanna end up like Brandy by the end of the year. lol

taniseka
02-29-2008, 08:22 AM
bump

Ray_Of_Light
02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
I&#39;ve been rockin the Crown & Glory Tech for a while now with the hopes of growing my hair out. Without much luck! I never seemed to retain the length.

So after much trial and error I have adapted the Crown & Glory Tech to fit me better.

I never keep the braids in for longer than 3-4 weeks. Anything longer than that and my hair brakes once I take them out.

Micro braids are a no-no. They are too small and cause extra strain on the hair. Bigger braids are better for my hair and best of all...they don&#39;t take as long to do.

Moisturizing daily and often is VERY IMPORTANT!!

Don&#39;t over wash my hair. Once or twice a week is enough.

When taking the braids out, wet hair. It makes it so much easier and helps prevent the hair from breaking.

Either deep condition hair or use aphogee treatment.

I never keep my hair out for 2 weeks. Usually just one.

So far this has been working very well for me. I am planning to use Moe&#39;s hair growth formula and see if that helps it grow even more.

Good Luck Ladies!!!!!!!!!

blackbeauty398
03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Still in the same set of box braids for four weeks. Trying to hold on one more week before redoing them. Will update album soon

cooyah
03-13-2008, 05:07 AM
Back in business! I started my new job and it&#39;s been hard to keep up with this thread but here are pics of my micros, hope to keep them in for six months by redoing sections every two months

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/cooyah_2006/Hair%20Album/021.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1224/017dk9.jpg

more in fotki

beebee06
03-13-2008, 05:51 PM
new to this site i&#39;m on a shoulder length challenge by december 08 using the crown and glory technique

i&#39;ve been wearing my hair cornrowed on top and individuals on at the back....

i&#39;m getting deployed to iraq this summer and i will wear micros then

good luck to all

here are my current braids

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh18/nappybeebee/goodone3.jpg

cooyah
03-14-2008, 04:26 PM
^^^ those are super cute!

cooyah
04-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Checking in for April, micros still holding strong.

blackbeauty398
04-08-2008, 03:00 AM
Doing my April check in. Just put in a new set. Every time I take my hair down, I&#39;m so happy to put it right back up. :P