PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here in the fashion industry?

AFashionSlave
03-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Are there any napturals here who work within the fashion or wardrobe industry?

If so what do you do in the industry?
I'm looking for a little input about a future business venture.

:huh Hopefully I'm not all alone.

Nappilocs
03-18-2004, 04:40 PM
used to....
I worked on a merchandising team when I was in college. Very intresting work. We went to the different stores to change thier visuals every week. We worked along with the marketing team and buyers. It was amazing how much, time research and thought they put into deciding how to arrange the stores.

feepee
03-18-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm not in the fashion industry, but my long term career goal is to become a reputable(sp?) stylist. I want to do hair, make-up, and clothes. Creating and improving people's image.

I'm very interested in seeing what folks have to add to this post. This is a great topic AFS. I hope we get some good responses.

NikkiG
03-18-2004, 06:43 PM
I have two college friends that are buyers for major department stores.
My one friend was an Agri business major so I'm not sure what lead her into her career. After graduation, she didn't like any of the job opportunities out there so when she saw a job ad for a buyer for Lazarus (I believe it's Macy's on the East Coast) she interviewed and got the job. I was really surprised because she had no experience and the job paid well. She has since moved to Chicago I believe.

My other friend interned as a buyer with Goldman Sachs in NYC. She was a business major at North Carolina A&T. I'm not real familiar with Goldman Sachs because we don't have any here in Cincinnati Ohio. She mentioned that it was exciting and she ended up moving to NYC to pursue more fashion. Both seemed to really enjoy what they did. HTH

Nikk

floetry22
03-18-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm glad that this thread was started because I need some help :-P
I have a BS in economics & I'm currently in grad school for econ.. I'm interested in econ, but I would also like to pursue a career in the fashion industry because it is different from what I'm doing. I was thinking about sending my resume to Forever 21 because they are opening a new store in kansas city during summer 2004.. I'm thinking that this will be a good opportunity to get some experience in the field..the positions available are store manager, assistant manager, visual merchandiser & sales associate (I wouldn't be too interested in this position). So what do you guys think?

feepee
03-18-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm wondering if a sales associate would be required in order to become, say, a buyer. Only retail experience I have is shopping! I'd be so willing to be a buyer in order to get my foot in the door, but being a sales associate never appealed to me.

What I really wanna do is make folks look beautiful outside as they do inside. I want to design clothes as well. i do this stuff on a real simple level already and want to make a career out of it. Let's keep this thread going...

Freebird
03-18-2004, 10:29 PM
I am a freelance fashion & prop stylist. I've worked on magazines, advertisement, film, tv, music artists, commercials, etc. I ABSOLUTELY love doing what I do. There is nothing else I'd want to do.

Trust me, it seems fabulous from the outside but it is heavy duty work. :shock

It certainly has it perks - being up close and personal with some handsome actor like Idris Elba!!! :heart

For those interested in getting in this field, schooling does not matter. Your experience matters. The very best way to build a solid foundation is to assist a WORKING stylist. Just because you have great style does not mean you are a great stylist for professional mediums. Get experience and hone your craft - beyond the eye for style is a craft for the business.

For those who want to be a buyer, it is necessary to have a business background. Buyer = Finances. Above all study market research and finance.

Last of all it is not necessary to be in a big market to get great expereince in fashion. You will just have to NETWORK across and over your normal group of folk you hang around. If there is a magazine published in your area - hit them up to assist the fashion editor.

charli
03-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Buyers tend to be more business oriented than fashion oriented. Buyers for large stores mainly have to base their decisions on sales patterns, sales history, inventory turnover, markdowns, pricing, margins and other such numbers as opposed to buying strictly based on style. This is why, often, buyers don't have a fashion background. With the way fashion is driven by influencers, and how much of it is strongly suggested or dictated, it's really not hard to be a buyer if you don't have a fashion background... esp if you work for a store that ends up being a little bit of a trend follower as opposed to a trend SETTER.

edited to add:

I'd be so willing to be a buyer in order to get my foot in the door

being a buyer is definitely NOT a foot in the door job. It is a definite "climbing the ladder" job. If you want to be a designer, it makes little sense to be a buyer first because those are separate career paths. I think sometimes people look at fashion design as glamorous fun and creative but if you are a designer that **wants to stay in business**, it is very much a business and production/manufacturing oriented venture.

charli
03-18-2004, 10:50 PM
lastly:

I'm thinking that this will be a good opportunity to get some experience in the field..the positions available are store manager, assistant manager, visual merchandiser & sales associate (I wouldn't be too interested in this position). So what do you guys think?

It depends on if you want to be in retail or in design/manufacturing. If you want to be in retail, then working for a large company is the way to go. If you want to be in design/manufacturing, from my experience, people are better served working for independent boutiques or smaller regional retailers that only have a few stores. They are able to get more hands on experience and more views of different aspects of the business than when working for a very large company. If you work for a smaller store, the manager, the sales team, the buyers the merchandisers, will all be in that one store (and could be the same person). But working for a larger company, unless you are at the headquarters, you won't even see the other aspects of the business.

But sometimes people confuse retail with design/manufacturing. having a retail background helps with the fashion side if you are using your retail experience to gain information on trends, styles, how to sell, what sells and what customers are looking for. That kind of experience can help someone be a better designer, etc.. But retail is very different in terms of the way it works than design. You have a lot of talented designers that can't sell squat at the retail level and you have retail stores that constantly sell out of mediocre merchandise.

If you want to go into the design/manufacturing side of business, I can honestly say, that some of the best experience you can have (if you obviously already have design talent) is to have Public Relations experience.

AFashionSlave
03-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Freebird@Mar 18 2004, 05:29 PM
I am a freelance fashion & prop stylist. I've worked on magazines, advertisement, film, tv, music artists, commercials, etc. I ABSOLUTELY love doing what I do. There is nothing else I'd want to do.

Trust me, it seems fabulous from the outside but it is heavy duty work. :shock

It certainly has it perks - being up close and personal with some handsome actor like Idris Elba!!! :heart

For those interested in getting in this field, schooling does not matter. Your experience matters. The very best way to build a solid foundation is to assist a WORKING stylist. Just because you have great style does not mean you are a great stylist for professional mediums. Get experience and hone your craft - beyond the eye for style is a craft for the business.

For those who want to be a buyer, it is necessary to have a business background. Buyer = Finances. Above all study market research and finance.

Last of all it is not necessary to be in a big market to get great expereince in fashion. You will just have to NETWORK across and over your normal group of folk you hang around. If there is a magazine published in your area - hit them up to assist the fashion editor.
:doh OMG!
I thought I was alone up in here.

Now I work as Director of Merchandising for a novelty chain of stores, but I used to be a fashion stylist and wardrobe assistant in Miami.

People don’t know what it’s like. They think it’s glamorous work, but it is hard work. I have seen it all. I’ve seen models pass out on set. I’ve had people not pay me and get mad when I bill them over and over again. I’ve dressed rappers that give me a $300.00 budget and then tell me that they will only wear Louis Vuitton. I’ve gotten attacked by swarming roaches on set at a nasty hotel. I once had a model spill coke down the front of a 1,000 dress.

Well here is my dilemma. I am starting to prepare myself to move back home to Miami within the next couple of years. This 9-5 job stuff is driving me crazy. My dream is to own my own vintage accessories online boutique (that is already in the works) But the problem is when I move back I can’t decide if I want to go back into styling or not. I have to do something when I move back to Florida until the money from my vintage business kicks in. My book has not been updated in almost 3 years and I know that if I go back I will have to start all over again by being a stylist assistant. I am not in the mood to do all of the hard grunt work that goes along with being an assistant. I don’t know what to do? When I open my online vintage store I don’t expect to see much profit for the first 2-3 years BUT I will go crazy working another 9-5 job AND I don’t want to go back to the hard labor of being a stylist assistant.

I’m not asking you to make a decision for me… my post is a bit of a rant. I just need a little feedback on the situation. I’m 27 and I’m no spring chicken & I have real bills.

Right now I’m not sure what is more important…money or my immediate happiness?

What city do you live in?

AFashionSlave
03-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by charli@Mar 18 2004, 05:50 PM
lastly:

I'm thinking that this will be a good opportunity to get some experience in the field..the positions available are store manager, assistant manager, visual merchandiser & sales associate (I wouldn't be too interested in this position). So what do you guys think?Â

It depends on if you want to be in retail or in design/manufacturing. If you want to be in retail, then working for a large company is the way to go. If you want to be in design/manufacturing, from my experience, people are better served working for independent boutiques or smaller regional retailers that only have a few stores. They are able to get more hands on experience and more views of different aspects of the business than when working for a very large company. If you work for a smaller store, the manager, the sales team, the buyers the merchandisers, will all be in that one store (and could be the same person). But working for a larger company, unless you are at the headquarters, you won't even see the other aspects of the business.

But sometimes people confuse retail with design/manufacturing. having a retail background helps with the fashion side if you are using your retail experience to gain information on trends, styles, how to sell, what sells and what customers are looking for. That kind of experience can help someone be a better designer, etc.. But retail is very different in terms of the way it works than design. You have a lot of talented designers that can't sell squat at the retail level and you have retail stores that constantly sell out of mediocre merchandise.

If you want to go into the design/manufacturing side of business, I can honestly say, that some of the best experience you can have (if you obviously already have design talent) is to have Public Relations experience.
I agree with everything you just said charli but I want to add that along with talent you need to have skill when it comes to being a fashion designer. You need to understand how a garment is constructed, BOMS, finishing techniques, production sketching, and grading.

Sometimes people are talented designers but have no idea how to put a garment together. I once worked with this woman who created beautiful designs but she had no idea what she was doing. Once spent 2 months working on an entire season's line. But everything that she designed had no closures. How do you wear a beautiful gown if you can't get in it? I had to take all of her designs and alter them so they would be wearable for the customer.

Just because you know what looks good does not mean that you are a good designer.

charli
03-18-2004, 11:59 PM
I agree with everything you just said charli but I want to add that along with talent you need to have skill when it comes to being a fashion designer. You need to understand how a garment is constructed, BOMS, finishing techniques, production sketching, and grading.

I absolutely agree. When I was younger I used to think fashion was all about making pretty things and beautiful collections and getting accolades over your genius. Now, I understand how much of it is about practicality and press.

If I were in your shoes-- honestly-- I would still style on the side. It just takes so much time to have a retail business putting money in your pocket. OR you could get yourself a part time hustle and sell on the side while growing your business. I mean, it's tried and true advice, but there are a lot of people hawking clothes on ebay and such becuase *it pays the bills* and then doing their own thing as well. And I think having a name as a stylist will *help* you get your business out there and get publicity.

I think that there are certain business models that work well online with hardly any effort and then there are those that are a challenge. And when you have a "challenging" business model, I think you need to put emphasis into branding and press and by being a stylist and networking, I don't see how that COULDN'T help you get the publicity you need. Because if you have access to celebrities, then being able to drop names like, this vintage bracelet worn by ___ in ___ would definitely help you.

Oh, and trust me, you can get profit out of an ONLINE store quicker than 2-3 years. Most people doing it wouldn't do it if the payback took that long. You ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT be putting so much $$ into it that you won't see a profit for years (because if you are, you are definitely spending far too much $$ on development, inventory or both). Now paying the bills... that's a whole other thing. If there is anything I have ever said that you can take my word on, you can TAKE MY WORD on that.

I’ve dressed rappers that give me a $300.00 budget and then tell me that they will only wear Louis Vuitton.

HAHA. That is so funny to me. Because you know most of those fools rapping about prada this chanel that don't know a lick about it for real.

tdrmaquillage
03-19-2004, 06:08 AM
I started as a wardrobe stylist and I've since migrated to doing makeup/hair. I started in film, and landed in short production (commercials, videos, etc.) and print (advertising and editorial). I work in both L.A. and S.F. and I'm starting to expand to NYC. Nice to see other sistas in the 'biz. Feel free to PM me anytime.

- Tania :rainfro

jenteel
03-19-2004, 07:13 AM
good topic
some of my friends need 2 b in fashion design but they have other things on their plates right now
(1 is in college and the other is an actress)
but i am on the other side of the industry
i am a model
i have done some magazines but i am looking 4 an agent
and of course an agency!!!!
any ideas?

Freebird
03-19-2004, 01:01 PM
To: afashionslave

I live in Maryland.

Money or immediate happiness??? That's hard to answer because I don't know your current situation. However I am a huge risk taker and I have sacrificed my living situation in order to build strong foundation and be consistent in this business. Since taking a leap of faith I have not even needed to get a part time job to stay afloat. God has his hands on me or sure. Thank you God!
I talk to other artists all the time who are afraid to lake a leap of faith (quitting their full time jobs) and diving hard into their dreams. Having children and major overhead is a challnge for many.

I agree with Charli, you should style on the side as you build your internet business. The two work hand in hand - while styling you get the word out about your business.

Freebird
03-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by tdrmaquillage@Mar 19 2004, 01:08 AM
I started as a wardrobe stylist and I've since migrated to doing makeup/hair. I started in film, and landed in short production (commercials, videos, etc.) and print (advertising and editorial). I work in both L.A. and S.F. and I'm starting to expand to NYC. Nice to see other sistas in the 'biz. Feel free to PM me anytime.

- Tania :rainfro
Hi Tania,

I've seen you post on the emelle makeup board. You are extremely talented. :app

It's funny how you started in wardrobe for film and migrated to makeup/hair. I know a few others who did just the same. I've noticed too often that in film the wardrobe work is grueling and we are the stepchild department - they pay us less than our counterparts in makeup/hair, etc. Recently on a film, I radioed transportation to come to pick up 2 heavy racks - ignored our call they never came. So guess what - the pa and myself had to drag the racks in snowy heavy winter winds down the rocky road as the racks kept falling over!!!!! needless to say I wasn't happy at all >:( Sorry for the rant yall!!!!!

Print I absolutley love - that's where I get to be most creative.

I love this topic too. :heart Let's keep it going!!!!!!!!!

Freebird
03-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by jenteel@Mar 19 2004, 02:13 AM
good topic
some of my friends need 2 b in fashion design but they have other things on their plates right now
i am a model
any ideas?
Where do you live?

In my opinion you defintely need an agent/agency who is connected to the industry and can book you for work. I would stay away from start ups unless it's someone who has recently left a major agency player and is still connected to big clients that are national, international as well as local.

Also you may want to go with your actress friend to acting classes - it really helps developing models to hone their skills in front of the camera and REALLY give it up!!!
Go well to your dreams.

feepee
03-19-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm gunna have to start tracking this topic!

I'd be so willing to be a buyer in order to get my foot in the door

being a buyer is definitely NOT a foot in the door job. It is a definite "climbing the ladder" job. If you want to be a designer, it makes little sense to be a buyer first because those are separate career paths. I think sometimes people look at fashion design as glamorous fun and creative but if you are a designer that **wants to stay in business**, it is very much a business and production/manufacturing oriented venture

Wow, thanks for the info. So judging by what you just said, I don't want to be a buyer. With that desicion being made, how do I go about finding a stylist to assist? I live in Minnesota and it just does seem to be a market for styling here.

AFS, even based on your info, I still want to be a stylist. It's in my blood! I'm down for the dirty work too, this is something i'm willing to invest time and hard work into.

Also (@AFS) I'm prolly another one of those folks who can design great stuff but not sure exactly HOW to put the clothes together. I've been toying with the idea of going to design school, as well as cosmotology school. I really want to be good at what i do and get as much info as possible.

Since I've never seen any listings in the paper for assistants or stylists wanted here in MN, what would you suggest? Relocating is not a feasable plan right now because of my single mother status. And like AFS I got plenty of BILLS. And do I need to be building some kind of portfolio? and how would I got about doing that since I've never acutally DONE any of this before?

kinkykhick
03-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by AFashionSlave@Mar 18 2004, 09:30 AM
Are there any napturals here who work within the fashion or wardrobe industry?

If so what do you do in the industry?
I'm looking for a little input about a future business venture.

:huh Hopefully I'm not all alone.
I was a buyer for a small women's boutique. Unfortunatley for me the owner decided to move away from fashion into something completly different. It was fun while it lasted

I did find a had a flair for visual mechandising also but I haven't found any opportunities to continue on this path.

phase1
03-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by AFashionSlave@Mar 18 2004, 05:17 PM

Sometimes people are talented designers but have no idea how to put a garment together. I once worked with this woman who created beautiful designs but she had no idea what she was doing. Once spent 2 months working on an entire season's line. But everything that she designed had no closures. How do you wear a beautiful gown if you can't get in it? I had to take all of her designs and alter them so they would be wearable for the customer.

Just because you know what looks good does not mean that you are a good designer.
:offtopic ...my design teacher is constantly pushing this concept at us...and after taking numerous apparel construction classes I really understand....a lot of people came into the major thinking they were just gonna be drawing fashion or picking out cute stuff...but she always tells us that we must know the construction details of the garment...

anyway...

I really like the whole online vintage boutique idea...and since that's what you wanna do why not get into some position where you can learn more about vintage pieces?.....just try to do anything that is gonna contribute to your bigger goal.... if at all possible....

...just try to do something you really wanna do...even while you're waiting for your business to take off.... 8)

I always said that whenever I really get into what I wanna do it's gonna be for happiness......I know money is important but as long as I'm financially comfortable and not being threatened with eviction notices and car repossession... then I'm straight...

jenteel
03-22-2004, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Freebird+Mar 19 2004, 11:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Freebird @ Mar 19 2004, 11:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jenteel@Mar 19 2004, 02:13 AM
good topic
i am a model
any ideas?
Where do you live?

In my opinion you defintely need an agent/agency who is connected to the industry and can book you for work. I would stay away from start ups unless it&#39;s someone who has recently left a major agency player and is still connected to big clients that are national, international as well as local.

Also you may want to go with your actress friend to acting classes - it really helps developing models to hone their skills in front of the camera and REALLY give it up!!!
Go well to your dreams. [/b][/quote]
that is some good advice freebird!
thank u :thumbsup

i live in ny
i have sent pics out
when i get some money 2gether
i will definitely take acting classes
so many people have suggested it 2 me
i feel like that is a great sign
it should definitely be a rewarding experience :razz

Soulsearch72
03-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by feepee@Mar 19 2004, 06:59 AM
Wow, thanks for the info. So judging by what you just said, I don&#39;t want to be a buyer. With that desicion being made, how do I go about finding a stylist to assist? I live in Minnesota and it just does seem to be a market for styling here.

AFS, even based on your info, I still want to be a stylist. It&#39;s in my blood! I&#39;m down for the dirty work too, this is something i&#39;m willing to invest time and hard work into.

Also (@AFS) I&#39;m prolly another one of those folks who can design great stuff but not sure exactly HOW to put the clothes together. I&#39;ve been toying with the idea of going to design school, as well as cosmotology school. I really want to be good at what i do and get as much info as possible.

Since I&#39;ve never seen any listings in the paper for assistants or stylists wanted here in MN, what would you suggest? Relocating is not a feasable plan right now because of my single mother status. And like AFS I got plenty of BILLS. And do I need to be building some kind of portfolio? and how would I got about doing that since I&#39;ve never acutally DONE any of this before?
Here&#39;s a good message board. Back in the day I was thinking about being a stylist..but after reading EmElle&#39;s Industry Forums, I knew that it&#39;s probably not for me.

If you want to be a stylist check this board for info..but the girls here have already given you some great info. I don&#39;t know if this is a good idea....but maybe if you contact your local university with a film department..and see if they need someone to do wardrobe. I don&#39;t know. I would think your goal is to get experience.

I personally would like to be a personal shopper. Like AFS..I want to open an online store..that focus on accesories. It&#39;s alot of work but very exciting.

http://pub123.ezboard.com/fmakeupandrelate...dindustriesfrm5 (http://pub123.ezboard.com/fmakeupandrelatedindustriesfrm5)

Artsyblack
03-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Afashionslave,

I studied fashion design ( Los Angeles) back in the 80&#39;s and did a short stint in the industry. I started off as a fit model then moved on to the production side. The fashion industry had a dirty lil secret that I didn&#39;t want to be a part of so I gave up my dreams to be a fashion designer.

That was almost 20 years ago. Although I continued to sew and design for friends, family and myself, I still desired to be a designer.

It was meant for me to be doing something with clothes. I got turned on to costume design by answering an ad for an assistant and costumer. I was thrown into this hectic film project with absolutely no experience what so ever and loved every minute of it.

Freebird and the others are right regarding the amount of work we have to do. Yes, we are the stepchild department but I still love being apart of the whole creative process. I&#39;ve even crossed over into a fashion stylist role. Ya&#39;ll can have that. It&#39;s more work then being a costumer!!

I&#39;ve put my career on hold for personal reasons but is planning on resuming it soon. And because the wardrobe dept gets no love, I&#39;ve decided to start my own production company. Wardrobe is just as an important aspect (visual) of film as any other.

Starting your own business sounds good. Just make sure you have a source of income. Someone suggested that you do this on the side until you can go full time. I&#39;d suggest that to.

A 9-5 may not be so bad if you have a goal in mind.