PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney Todd

Sekhmet
12-13-2007, 05:35 PM
http://www.filmpeek.net/images/sweeney-todd-2007-version-poster1.jpg

Headed off to a free screening right now (cuz I had NO intentions on paying to see it, lol!). Anybody else planning to check it out?

vinny_46
12-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna see it.

I'm at the point where I trust just about any Johnny Depp vehicle. The rest of the cast looks good, and I like Tim Burton.

Come back and let us know what you thought about it. :pop:

Trenellm
12-13-2007, 05:43 PM
I say a stage production last year. Loved it. Can't wait to see it on the big screen.*walks off singing Worst Pies in London*

Sekhmet
12-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Okay. So the movie is TOTALLY outside my preferred movie genre. I generally don't like Tim Burton (only liked Sleepy Hollow) because his stuff is always so dang dark and dreary and weird! And I gave up on musicals unless it's a classic like "West Side Story", "Grease" or "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". All that said, I still enjoyed it :huh: . It's a good movie. Albeit a weird, dark and dreary comedy. The singing didn't kill me like Moulin Rouge (well except for that fascinating tango rendition of "Roxanne" which I loved). Johnny has a good voice, well everyone did actually. Rickman and Bonham Carter too. I :icon_heartpump: Alan Rickman! I need to watch it on DVD later because I know I missed a lot not being able to keep up with the accent. I need subtitles! :P

My favorite part was when Mrs. Lovett's montage during "By the Sea". And, of course, "A Little Priest".

Fans of Depp and Burton are going to adore it!

MissEmbrya
12-14-2007, 01:08 AM
I can't wait to see this. :o

I read a short story about Sweeney Todd in middle school. :)

Chyna Black
12-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Glad to read your review Sekhmet and I plan to see it.

Saw the play many years ago while in college!! :wub: :wub: Plus I love Johnny. Seems like he and Burton have done a dozen movies together. ^_^

honeychild
12-14-2007, 02:13 PM
i remember my mom making us sit down and watch this on masterpiece theater when we were kids. (LOL! my mom is very strange) ;) i can't imagine dark-creepy tim burton wouldn't do right by this story. thanks for the review, sekh!

BrnNappyGrl
12-20-2007, 05:52 PM
I cannot see going to the theatre to view this, but I will probably buy the DVD.

He old (44), often dirty-looking, sometimes rocks grease-infested strangy hair and he is way too short for my tastes (5’10”) - yet (for some odd reason) I find something hella sexy about Depp and his whole way and estilo.

Were I single – I could see ‘slamming’ his old azz into a coma.[/b]

I2I

I luhs me some Johnny Depp... Sweeny Todd looks like it's going to be creepy good fun

I can't wait!

afroknots11412
12-20-2007, 06:14 PM
I love Johnny Depp, favorite male actor. I hope he wins best actor for the Oscars he deserves it if he doesn't get it I will be beyond mad.

Jazitones
12-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Oh yes indeed, I'm going to see Sweeny Todd. I saw a musical on this also. :D

Alastri
12-20-2007, 11:54 PM
can't wait to see it!

kurliehead
12-21-2007, 06:46 AM
On my list of movies to see next week when I'm out of work for the holidays.

There's a $3.25 matinee not far from me and I cannot wait. ^_^

Savvyone
12-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm going after work, but I'm sure I will LOVE it, besides the blood and people pies! :lol: My older sister was an actress and she performed in the play in high school.

I saw the making of it last night and Sondheim was praising Tim Burton up and down. I think the only Depp/Burton collabo I haven't seen is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Trenellm
12-21-2007, 01:13 PM
As I've said, the theatre I work with a lot did Sweeney Todd about a year ago. The cast of the show are planning on seeing it tonight.

I wonder if they will sing along :lol:

MY FAVE line in sweeney song:

Mrs. Mooney has a pie shop.
Does a business, but I notice something weird.
Lately, all her neighbors cats have disappeared.
Have to hand it to her!
What I calls,
enterprise!
Poppin' p*ssies into pies!
Wouldn't do in my shop!
Just the thought of it's enough to make you sick!
And I'm telling you them p*ssycats is quick

jas.1984
12-22-2007, 02:57 PM
i love me some johnny depp. i would marry his old butt in a minute. he is one of the four old men i would bang. i know tmi. :lol:

watercolorz
12-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I didn't go to the advance screening of this because my daughter wants to see this for our traditional Christmas morning movie (last year it was DREAM GIRLS)

I first saw SWEENY TODD with Angela Landsbury on PBS when I was a kid and I have seen it in revival a couple of times and if done right its dark and charming.

So of course I can't wait to see Depp, Carter, Rickman, Burton calbo... that has got to be hot.

I even got my daughter the movie soundtrack as a Christmas present... so we will probably be doing the WORST PIES IN LONDON the remix all through the holidays.

Merry Christmas to all ~W

drizzle
12-25-2007, 06:23 AM
Saw Sweeney Todd last night. I remember that PBS version with Angela Landsbury, too. I really liked her version of Mrs. Lovett better than Helena Bonham Carter's. To me, HBC looks/sounds the same in every movie.

I went to see the movie with friends. We went to a really late showing so there was no one to disturb while we ate our snuck in "meat pies" (hamburgers from home) and talked out loud. During "By the Sea" my friend called out, "Girl, he's just not that into you!" and I cracked up laughing.

afroknots11412
12-25-2007, 12:44 PM
I loved the movie, and I'm not into those types of movies. But I just have to say I love Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. I love them acting together. The songs all sounded to same but Tim Burton's direction is great. I mean the fake blood was a little too overly dramatic but it was cool.

Will Johnny win the golden globe or oscars I can't say but I hope he does because he really is underrated.

erinm
12-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I made my brother go with me to see it tonight.

I've never seen the Angela Landsbury version, but at my library we have it on DVD with Patti Lupone, who is awesome. I kind of liked HBC. I never really thought she was pretty before, but for whatever reason she was lovely in this movie. In a messed up kind of way.

I'm really in awe of Collen Atwood who did the costuming. The the slashed dress Joanna wore was amazing.

afroknots11412
12-25-2007, 06:32 PM
I made my brother go with me to see it tonight.

I've never seen the Angela Landsbury version, but at my library we have it on DVD with Patti Lupone, who is awesome. I kind of liked HBC. I never really thought she was pretty before, but for whatever reason she was lovely in this movie. In a messed up kind of way.

I'm really in awe of Collen Atwood who did the costuming. The the slashed dress Joanna wore was amazing.
[/b]
^^^ yeah I never thought HBC was pretty either but she was in a sort of gothic/ dark kind of way. Especially when she was day dreaming of being with Mr. Todd. at the beach and park, aww. These two may go down in history as best on screen couplings, right up there with spencer tracy and katherin hepburn, rock hudson and doris day. johnny and helena have acted together alot.

CrazeeDCoil
12-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Is it that good? I've been kind of avoiding it because from the trailers Johnny doesn't sound as good or as powerful as I would like to hear from Sweeney. But I know he's a great actor and usually make great film choices.

Funny, I've always thought HBC was pretty. One of the few actresses that I actually felt that way about.

My favorite songs from the stage show are God, That's GOOD! and My Friends. Oh and Fogg's Asylum. Good stuff!

erinm
12-29-2007, 06:32 PM
^^

I hate to tell you this, but they cut God, that's Good and Fogg's Asylum.

Roger Ebert says that, "To an unusual degree, "Sweeney Todd" works on a quasi-realistic level and not as a musical fantasy." Which I think is a pretty reasonable way to describe it. I'm not a huge musical fan, although I do enjoy them, and this didn't really play like a musical. I felt more like a movie where the characters just happen to sing. So you might disappointed.

Am I the only on who thinks that the movie Antony seemed almost as nuts as Sweeney? The actor who played him was unnervingly pretty, and there was a serious stalker vibe. :unsure:

Sekhmet
12-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Am I the only on who thinks that the movie Antony seemed almost as nuts as Sweeney? The actor who played him was unnervingly pretty, and there was a serious stalker vibe. :unsure:[/b]
Totally. :ninj:

afroknots11412
12-29-2007, 09:48 PM
right now I am listening to the soundtrack as I type and search :D

watercolorz
12-30-2007, 03:22 AM
right now I am listening to the soundtrack as I type and search :D[/b]
Ditto... I also have a copy in my car and my daughter and I have been listening to it almost constantly.

I have seen the movie 3 times and will probably see it a couple more with friends who haven't as of yet. I enjoy this on the big screen.

I think that the scaled back production and the paring down of songs (which were mainly chorus pieces... y'all forgot the BALLAD OF SWEENEY TODD in the opening) didn't detract from the production.

I found DEPP playing TODD as a tenor rather than the traditional baritone refreshing for a lack of a better word... a more modern minimal interpretation of most of the songs makes for better narration.

I found the look of the film simply stunning... big kudos to costume and set, but BURTON is masterful in his use of lighting when it comes to setting the mood for a particular scene. Listening to the soundtrack I can SEE various scenes clearly.

Like MY FRIENDS, EPIPHANY, BY THE SEA...

I wonder how BURTON will fare against the COEN brothers (NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN) at the GOLDEN GLOBES AND OSCARS.

I expect the movie to do well for costume and set... but will Tim get the director nod... it could happen ~W

gigglezk
12-30-2007, 10:57 AM
I saw it Friday night. My friends dragged me out to get me out of my funk. Nothing like seeing blood gushing out of necks and people being dropped on their heads to pull someone out of depression. But, hey I liked it and will probably buy the DvD.

GurlwithCurls
12-30-2007, 11:56 AM
I saw Sweeney Todd last night and thought it was freaking brilliant. The acting is simply phenomenal all around. Alan Rickman is always great, especially as villains; Helena Bonham Carter was really touching and weird, I love what she did with the character; and of course Johnny was fabulous. I thought he and HBC has amazing chemistry. Sasha Baron Cohen was also entertaining and the little boy who helped run the shop was really cute and a good singer.

The film is visually stunning, as we would expect from Tim Burton. He went a little overboard with all the throat slashings, but the violence was so exaggerated that after a while it didn't bother me.

I thought the approach to the music was interesting. The songs played more like dialogue, they weren't these overblown musical numbers, and I thought that was a smart choice considering that Burton cast the film for acting rather than singing. Sometimes its jarring when characters just break out into song and in this film the transitions between spoken word and music were pretty smooth. I wasn't bothered by the less-than-stellar voices because I think "character voices" rather than technically perfect belting can work just as well in certain productions. With that said, the singing was actually much better than I would have predicted (Johnny in particular has a nice rock-star tone to his voice) EXCEPT for HBC-- her singing pretty much sucked. But I still think she was perfect for the role from an acting standpoint.

This is the first film in a long time that I want to see again on the big screen.

On the subject of HBC's looks (as discussed earlier)-- she was luminous in this film and I've always thought she was exquisite. Not traditionally beautiful, but possessing a uniquely pretty. Elizabethan-era face. She looks like she belongs in the 1800s. Did y'all know she is Tim Burton's paramour? She is pregnant with their second child. What a perfect little goth family :wub:

Sekhmet
12-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Did y'all know she is Tim Burton's paramour? She is pregnant with their second child. What a perfect little goth family :wub:[/b]
She had that baby two weeks ago. They now have the newborn daughter in addition to a 4 year-old son.

People.com article (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20166500,00.html)

afroknots11412
12-30-2007, 02:13 PM
I saw Sweeney Todd last night and thought it was freaking brilliant. The acting is simply phenomenal all around. Alan Rickman is always great, especially as villains; Helena Bonham Carter was really touching and weird, I love what she did with the character; and of course Johnny was fabulous. I thought he and HBC has amazing chemistry. Sasha Baron Cohen was also entertaining and the little boy who helped run the shop was really cute and a good singer.

The film is visually stunning, as we would expect from Tim Burton. He went a little overboard with all the throat slashings, but the violence was so exaggerated that after a while it didn't bother me.

I thought the approach to the music was interesting. The songs played more like dialogue, they weren't these overblown musical numbers, and I thought that was a smart choice considering that Burton cast the film for acting rather than singing. Sometimes its jarring when characters just break out into song and in this film the transitions between spoken word and music were pretty smooth. I wasn't bothered by the less-than-stellar voices because I think "character voices" rather than technically perfect belting can work just as well in certain productions. With that said, the singing was actually much better than I would have predicted (Johnny in particular has a nice rock-star tone to his voice) EXCEPT for HBC-- her singing pretty much sucked. But I still think she was perfect for the role from an acting standpoint.

This is the first film in a long time that I want to see again on the big screen.

On the subject of HBC's looks (as discussed earlier)-- she was luminous in this film and I've always thought she was exquisite. Not traditionally beautiful, but possessing a uniquely pretty. Elizabethan-era face. She looks like she belongs in the 1800s. Did y'all know she is Tim Burton's paramour? She is pregnant with their second child. What a perfect little goth family :wub:
[/b]

great minds think alike because I was thinking the same thing (but you put it so eloquently :D). Fav songs my friends, by the sea, worst pies in london (notice all of them have helena singing her voice is sweet) oh and perrelli's miracle elixer

Alastri
01-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Mmmm, Johnny Depp :wub: Told the fiance I would marry him AFTER I got a piece of Johnny. Sigh...

But anyways, you all know it was fabulous! It was a little unnerving to hear "Snape" sing, but after I got over that everything was brilliant. I heard the musical years ago, but it doesn't sound very similar as far as I can remember.

I may have to put this on my iPod. Tim Burton makes another masterpiece :)

meccadon
01-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I loved the kid! The movie was enjoyable, disturbing, and the dull colors against the bright crimson of the blood set a wicked, and disturbing mood!

*spoiler alert, in a way*

I knew that blond haired lady was who she was and HBC knew what was up!

RecoveredPermie
01-13-2008, 12:44 PM
I went to see this movie with my friend last night. I didn't know it was a musical (don't sue me). OK, got past that real quick because I like musicals! I really enjoyed this movie, but I think that it could have done without the two younger characters. (Antony and Joanna) If you think about it, if those two were out, the plot could have still survived and been the great movie that is still is. Either way, I loved it!

LBellatrix
01-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Went to see this a few days ago, having never seen the musical. Today on NPR (or was it the BBC?) a theatre person sniffed that the movie can&#39;t be compared to the play. Fine. I won&#39;t. <_<

I hate gore in movies, even fake gore, so I had to cover my eyes at those parts. Other than that, I LOVED it: the atmosphere (Tim Burton rocks), the music (should I get the theatre soundtrack?), and especially Mr. Depp. :P Someone earlier in the thread said he was old...puleeze, he&#39;s the right age for me and he could totally get this (as you young&#39;uns say).

Anybody else notice it was a bit of a Harry Potter reunion? (Rickman, Bonham Carter, Spall)

neveah
01-27-2008, 04:48 AM
^^^

I just saw the movie last night. I thought that it was a bit weird to see 3 Harry Potter characters in a gory movie.

I guess I&#39;m the only one that wasn&#39;t crazy about this movie. Read my reaction below.

WTF ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

BTW, why do I have Anthony&#39;s song stuck in my head?

I feeeeeeeeeel you, Joaaaaaaaana..............

Sekhmet
01-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Met a woman last night who&#39;s gone to see it four times. :huh: Four times?! :dunno:

To me, it was aight. Especially as it was a free one. :P