PDA

View Full Version : Apply for Jobs While Pregnant?

expecting
03-18-2004, 07:53 PM
A little background (for those who don't already know) ... I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant. I work in the media as an editor and reporter. I have been at the same company for several years and I am almost at the end of my rope. Being at the end of my rope - it's not in an angry or defeated sense. I just feel like I have hit that ceiling and while I might be delegated more responsibilities and get a raise, I don't see myself actually getting any type of promotion here. In other words, it's time to move on.

But it's not the most ideal time to move on. My due date is in mid-May and I am planning on taking 6-8 weeks of maternity leave; thereafter, I will be back in the workforce. And while my company is planning on letting me work from home 2-3 days a week after the arrival of the baby, and I am sure most companies wouldn't permit that, at this point I am feeling more loyalty to my professional development than to a company that is pigeonholing me and relegating me to where I am now.

My question is - for the mothers out there and anyone in general - would you advise strongly against applying for jobs while pregnant? I see many positions for which I think I would be a great candidate and I wonder whether or not I should have applied for certain gigs, long after the application deadlines have passed. Am I far along enough in my pregnancy where I could be perceived as less of a liability, since I am relatively close to delivery and planning on getting back to work by early July? Or should I just kill the idea in my head and wait until later on this summer to pursue this?

Patrina
03-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Personally, I would wait for the simple fact that they might use that against you. They might envisionyou as someone who might constantly leave or be late since you have a newborn and that might stiffle your advancement opportunities as well.

Nothing wrong with waiting until after your maternity leave. That way you will have an idea as to your child's schedule because that is the schedule that you will be following. HTH

P :rainfro

Papillion
03-19-2004, 01:25 AM
Although companies are not allowed to discriminate against a disability (i.e., pregnancy), they still do. It would be very subtle, and I doubt you'd be hired....

I suggest you stay with your current company until after you deliver. Since you have a proven track record, your current company would probably be more flexible than a new company.

Wait until after you deliver. I am sure the good opportunities will be there for you.

Good luck.

ETA: Spelling

charli
03-19-2004, 05:19 AM
lthough companies are not allowed to discriminate against a disability (i.e., pregnancy), they still do. It would be very subtle, and I doubt you'd be hired....

As a new employee, you would not be protected by FMLA or any state laws, so you would have no legally mandated job protection. In addition, you MIGHT lose your health benefits if you leave a job, don't get COBRA and your new job has a waiting period before health benefits become active. Unless you are covered under your husband's plan and don't have to worry about it.

In addition, I think it is bad business to take a job where you KNOW you will be out of work for 3 months or so relatively soon after being hired, knowing that they would need someone to fill your shoes during your leave. I think you would be burning bridges at the new company.

I mean, at 31 weeks, they could even stretch hiring out for some time (as many companies do) and you wouldn't even be able to start within a reasonable time frame.

And lastly, you just might not want to go back to work in 8 weeks after having the baby. You cannot COUNT on that. Not to be a buzzkill, but you could end up having complications, your baby could, or maybe you might want more time off.

expecting
03-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Those are all good points, especially what Charli said about not knowing what lies in the future (i.e. after delivery and 8 weeks thereafter). I guess I'll have to just see how life shakes out, how I feel, what opportunities are available and take it from there. It's hard to be patient in this regard though, especially when I am so fatigued with my current position and see other things on the horizon for which I'd be well-suited.

thunderstorm
03-19-2004, 03:43 PM
with my first child, i quit a terrible job at the beginning of my second trimester. the people and environment were impossible to work with. my husband insisted that i quit and just stay home. so i did with no arguments. during my 8th month, i was feeling ansy about not having a job to return to post partum, so i interviewed for a part-time job in my field. yes, i was 8th months pregnant, carrying a briefcase, and being interviewed by a panel of people!

it was perfect because the hours allowed me to still have a lot of time with our newborn. i was upfront the whole time i collaborated with them and because of that, they offered me the position and gave me 6 weeks from my delivery date to start. so i still had several weeks at home with our baby, and the part-time hours, once i resumed work at the new job, still offered me a lot of time to spend with baby.

sometimes people will work with you if you are open and upfront with them. and if you sell yourself really well, a prospective employer will make sure you are accommodated just to ensure you come to work for them.

good luck

thenewme
03-20-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by charli@Mar 19 2004, 12:19 AM

lthough companies are not allowed to discriminate against a disability (i.e., pregnancy), they still do. It would be very subtle, and I doubt you'd be hired....

As a new employee, you would not be protected by FMLA or any state laws, so you would have no legally mandated job protection.

In addition, I think it is bad business to take a job where you KNOW you will be out of work for 3 months or so relatively soon after being hired, knowing that they would need someone to fill your shoes during your leave. I think you would be burning bridges at the new company.

I mean, at 31 weeks, they could even stretch hiring out for some time (as many companies do) and you wouldn't even be able to start within a reasonable time frame.

And lastly, you just might not want to go back to work in 8 weeks after having the baby. You cannot COUNT on that. Not to be a buzzkill, but you could end up having complications, your baby could, or maybe you might want more time off.
I guess my situation would not be one of the norm. I started a new job at 32 weeks pregnant. After my son was born, I was had a life threatening illness that required emergency surgery. I survived (or I would not be typing this) and was told by the surgeon that I could not work for 4 months. My job allowed me to use my FMLA and I did not lose my job. It was at the directors discretion. Now I am not going to say that this will be the case for everyone but it did happen to me. Good luck!

MzNGINEAR
03-24-2004, 12:24 AM
In some cases applying (online) for a job while pregnant may not be so bad. BUT like the other ladies said, companies will find some "reason" not to hire a pregnant woman. Most times I have heard that this happens because they do not want to hire someone who will not be there in a few months. If you were not showing (3 months or less) then I think it'd be okay. The interviewers would not know they are interviewing a pregnant woman.

I am 4 months pregnant...and showing...but still applying for jobs. In reality, I don't think I'll be working a real job until I am postpartum(sp?). I would HOPE that people who interview me would not be so shallow (overlooking my credentials) because I'm pregnant, but it does happen...more than we are aware.

If you want to apply for jobs, go for it. I think the key lies in the date of availability and how soon the comapny wants someone to start.

expecting
03-24-2004, 01:55 PM
MzNginear...

Well, I am very much showing, so if anyone were to interview me, there'd be nothing I could do to conceal my "condition." Most of the gigs I've been looking at have closing dates for applying in April, which I presume means they're likely looking for someone to start by sometime in May, which I know I couldn't do. However, being that I am a good candidate for certain positions, I do wonder if I should apply anyway, just so they have me on file and can potentially contact me in the future ... or in the best case scenario, actually hire me for a position and be willing to work around my pregnancy and post-natal period (which is unlikely).

MzNGINEAR
03-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by expecting@Mar 24 2004, 08:55 AM
MzNginear...

Well, I am very much showing, so if anyone were to interview me, there'd be nothing I could do to conceal my "condition." Most of the gigs I've been looking at have closing dates for applying in April, which I presume means they're likely looking for someone to start by sometime in May, which I know I couldn't do. However, being that I am a good candidate for certain positions, I do wonder if I should apply anyway, just so they have me on file and can potentially contact me in the future ... or in the best case scenario, actually hire me for a position and be willing to work around my pregnancy and post-natal period (which is unlikely).
I noticed that you said you were 31 weeks...so you are pretty far along...

:offtopic
I guess I did forget to comment on that aspect. Just a couple of more months to go then you're done!!! Congratualtions!!! I'm so jealous, I have until August before I drop my heavy load!

:coffee
I still think that if you want to apply for jobs, then you should go for it. Make them aware that you are willing to start ASAP after the baby...or just ASAP in general. BUT I would just staying where you are covered under FMLA and start looking closer to your due date and while you're off bonding with the baby.

If you see your dream job online, then apply for it. You never know, it might just be what God has in store for you.

However, being that I am a good candidate for certain positions, I do wonder if I should apply anyway, just so they have me on file and can potentially contact me in the future ... or in the best case scenario, actually hire me for a position and be willing to work around my pregnancy and post-natal period (which is unlikely

I agree with you 100% on this. They may have something great come up and if you are fresh in their minds a databases then I am sure your name will come up...in a "Wonder if she's still looking for a job"....kinda way.

I believe that you should go ahead and apply for any job you want. It takes the online resumes a while to get through to HR into a pile of people that they are going to call anyway. When you are called for an interview...way your options then. Find out when they are looking for someone to start right away so that you can know what to expect if you decide to go in for an interview. When you do interview if expected start date if after your due date, then reassure them that you will be available to start when they would like for you to start.

:violin
In my opinion, you have the ideal situation a your current job. If you really want to leave that job....wait until you get through your maternity leave. Working from home is ideal with a new baby...You keep getting paid WHILE your bonding with baby.

:blah Sorry this is so long...but I can relate to what you're going through on so many levels! Good luck. I'm looking for a FT Engineering job as we speak....I'll be bid as HE$$ by the time I'm called for an interview :blah

expecting
03-24-2004, 08:59 PM
MzNginear,

Congrats on your pregnancy. I feel for you. I know how it is to be pensive and eagerly anticipating the arrival of the little one. I feel like I've been pregnant forever and cannot wait to go into labor ... LOL ...

I know that I am very fortunate and blessed to be with an employer who's willing to even allow me to work from home several days a week. I know most companies aren't even hearing that - and being that my place isn't known to be the most family-friendly place - I was surprised when they came through on that compromise. I think what I'll end up doing is waiting to apply for jobs (unless it's a federal gig, which takes longer than private sector jobs), getting thru my maternity leave and using my maternity leave and work from home schedule to search for appropriate opportunities.

I feel totally unchallenged where I am and know I have hit a ceiling, so I am really eager to make an exodus.

MzNGINEAR
03-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Sounds like you have a winning plan!!! :app

I know exactly what you mean about a ceiling...I had one at my old job. I wanted a change sooo bad, that I quit (after my maternity leave) and went back to school after being out for 4 years to finish my degree. I was so hurt while looking for new jobs - I had all the qualifications, but no degree.

So, with that, I am all for doing what you need to do to get where you want to go. I hope you find that dream job that you're searching for...

expecting
03-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, MzNginear. I hope your job search progresses as smoothly as well, too. It can be challenging not to make an abrupt exit and just leave a company thinking (or knowing) something is better on the horizon. I don't think I'd ever leave a job without having another offer on the table, but the temptation is definitely there.

niki000
03-26-2004, 09:49 PM
While the job you have now sounds liek a dream to most pregnat women.., if it's getting to you now, it will probably really get to you after you have the baby. the part-time job sounds like a really good idea if you have benefits through someone else. Part-time schedules are usually flexible.

I am going to have to think about doing that when I start my family planning.