PDA

View Full Version : what is the scab phase?

niki000
03-27-2003, 12:20 AM
I keep hearing people mention the 'scab' phase, what is it? i just recently had my big chop, and my hair is being kinda weird... when it was attached to the relaxed hair it coiled up, but now that its free it kinda waves and sticks up on the ends... is this the scab phase? are there actual scabs involved?

NappyFattyPhat
03-27-2003, 12:50 AM
I don't know but I'd like to know what it is as well!! :D

jpw923
03-27-2003, 02:14 AM
I think it's where the line of demarcation was between the permed and untreated hair and if it's not cut below that line then it can create problems (split ends and whatnot)......clarify if I'm wrong please....

inthestars
03-27-2003, 04:17 AM
There's no scabs, but I know what you mean about hair waving up and sticking out straight at the end. It is like hair that has been underprocessed. It will start going away and you'll see your real texture. I have been told that it takes 1 to 2 years.

blanishguh08
02-10-2004, 11:27 PM
hmmm.....i was looking @ all the transition posts from the begginning and i found this one..does any body no about the scab phase?

chickebean
02-11-2004, 04:49 PM
i don't but i'm beginning to notice that my hair wants to curl but can't because there are still some permed ends attached. last night i cut the permed ends from a few locks and my hair curled right up. so i need to chop again to free my curls completely. i'd like to know what it is also.

JustRochelle
02-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Chickebean:

I think I'm going through something similar. I did my big chop a few weeks ago, but still had some fuzzy ends left -- partly to keep my haircut even and partly because, when they were wet, they looked like part of my natural hair. I've been trimming off the fuzzies when it's practical, though, and my hair seems to be curling more because of it.

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
02-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Scab phase/hair will be the hair that first grew out from the perm, so the longest ends of your natural hair. Some people have found that this hair is hard or crunchy, but trimming the ends makes their hair softer and shows their natural texture more.

Hope this helps!

lsubabiedee
02-11-2004, 06:35 PM
i think its rough, dry hair growing from the damaged follicles b/c of the chemical residue

MissLisa
02-11-2004, 06:41 PM
I've been doing more trimming here and there since the big chop. The straight ends are more evident when my hair is wet, so after washing I'll just snip any visible stickouts.

I read somewhere that scab hair starts at the scalp though...so I don't know if that's MY problem. I think it's just unruly ends on my part.

ShekinahSoul
02-12-2004, 02:57 AM
Scab hair can be frustrating. It's dry and brittle. But it DOES grow out. It's just that first phase after chopping off the relaxer. I used to think that my genetics had me growing the most course hair that ever existed and now I realized it was the hair that was responding to the chemicals. Now my roots are no where near as dry and brittle. I DO have very kinky hair :) but it's not as dry and hard as when I did the big chop

chickebean
02-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by JustRochelle@Feb 11 2004, 01:11 PM
Chickebean:

I think I'm going through something similar. I did my big chop a few weeks ago, but still had some fuzzy ends left -- partly to keep my haircut even and partly because, when they were wet, they looked like part of my natural hair. I've been trimming off the fuzzies when it's practical, though, and my hair seems to be curling more because of it.
yeah, the more ends i clip the more my hair curl up. i like the may it looks when it's wet. :cen

Starpearl
02-17-2004, 01:05 PM
I would like to know what it is as well. Someone please shed some light on this for us.

MzNGINEAR
02-22-2004, 09:20 PM
What is the "scab phase" I never heard of it??? Anyone know...

MzNGINEAR
02-22-2004, 09:22 PM
What is the scab phase.....????? Does anyone know????

BrownsuggaDIVA
02-22-2004, 09:39 PM
scab hair is what grows out of your head as your scalp is healing. some experience it..some dont...some only lasts a few months...others take longer.

my scab hair phase lasted pretty much a year. i did a 2nd big chop in dec..and i can honestly say, my hair is free! my texture has changed greatly from when i first big chopped in sept 02

scab hair is usually dry...brittle like.crunchy feeling..seemingly difficult to keep mosturized. pretty much, everyone may have their own description of what scab hair was like for them...but what i listed is what i went through and others i know

misslaina
02-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Well when I transitioned I was afraid of scab hair and even did a post about it. But when I big chopped, I thought that is what I had because my hair just satt there and didn't do anything and when it was wet it would do weird things. It would standup straight on the ends and curl on the inside. I realized that I still had a lot of permed hair on the ends so I snipped and snipped for about two weeks and I was finally rid of it. I think my hair is how it will be and it has been only 2 months. It responds to conditioner and product.

I also heard someone say scab hair could also be a result of a newbie not knowing what type of products their hair likes yet. And when you learn, your hair feels better. HMMM... I think that was my case too.

gayee
02-23-2004, 12:25 AM
im no expert but i will tell you what i think scab hair is. i have not had a perm since 09/02. i never big chopped just trimmed now and then. well it does not look like i have any permed hair left but the ends of my hair for about an inch are thick and crunchy or harder than the rest of my hair. i also believe this is where i get my knots and tangles. i think this is the hair that was under my scalp but the perm went down into the follicle and somewhat relaxed or more like texturized that hair. if i was not such a chicken i would go ahead and chop that part off because it is such a hassle but i still want that little bit of length. i did try cutting it off of both sides at my sideburns and that hair is so much smoother. hth. :-)

brwndot
03-10-2004, 12:31 PM
bump

MzNGINEAR
03-16-2004, 01:58 AM
BUMP

brownround
03-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by MissLisa@Feb 11 2004, 01:41 PM
I've been doing more trimming here and there since the big chop. The straight ends are more evident when my hair is wet, so after washing I'll just snip any visible stickouts.

Same here. Just BC a few days ago so they are really visible...hope I can get rid of them all eventually.