PDA

View Full Version : St Johns Wort or other mood enhancing herbs

Azion264
03-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Has anyone tried any of these? what were your results?
Thanks! :)

LotsOfLocs
03-27-2003, 03:11 PM
I used St. Johns a while ago. I was going thru some ish. I guess it worked. Im not sure. I have nothing to really compare it too. I have never been on prescription anti depressants. But I dont believe St. Johns has the same effects. I have seen people on Prozac and Zoloft. They have more of an I dont care attitude. I think St. Johns emhances your mood a little. St. Johns also can affect the birth control pill.

Sekhmet
03-27-2003, 03:37 PM
I chose to take St. Johns Wort in lieu of prescription anti-depressants when I was battling depression a few years ago. It worked for me in terms of stabilizing my moods/emotions: the jagged crying spells ended and when I did get upset to the point of crying, the time was way shorter and easier to deal with. Because it's natural, it takes a few weeks to start to notice the effect but I really didn't mind because I hate taking prescription and OTC drugs. And I didn't experience any side effects like those associated with the prescription meds. If you decide to take the herbs instead of Prozac, Xoloft or Paxil (please don't take that one!), be patient. There's no big mood change with the herbal treatment.

HTH,
Sekhmet

bruinhotty
03-28-2003, 03:27 AM
I agree with the other posters. I took St. Johns Wort recently because my birth control was causing me to have extreme mood swings!! I noticed a difference. It should boost your mood a bit. I prefered that to getting on a prescription.

Azion264
03-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks ladies, I appreciate you input. I don't have really have any interest in taking prescription anti-depressants, I don't think it's really that severe, but I could definitly use a pick me up. I've used St. Johns Wort once or twice before, and It always made me feel a little hyper... but I wasn't sure if it was actually the herb working, or just like a placebo effect (me overcompensating because I felt I "should" feel something?) .. But anyway. I'll give it a try again and see what happens! :D
Thanks!

LotsOfLocs
03-28-2003, 02:43 PM
I agree with the other posters. I took St. Johns Wort recently because my birth control was causing me to have extreme mood swings!! I noticed a difference. It should boost your mood a bit. I prefered that to getting on a prescription.

It can also make the pill ineffective against preventing births.

dayna
03-28-2003, 09:30 PM
Can't post much now, but do some research on L-tryptophan and L-tyrosine. These are amino acids that may work for some depressed moods.

bruinhotty
03-29-2003, 03:39 AM

It can also make the pill ineffective against preventing births.Yeah, that was the catch 22. I was using the birth control as a back up for condoms so I wasn’t that worried. St. John’s Wort does affect the reliability of birth control so beware.