PDA

View Full Version : Hillary's "emotions" On Campaign Trail

Savvyone
01-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Do you think this will negatively affect how folk view her as not being tough enuf for the job of Commander in Chief? I say we're all human and besides we've already kept a blibbering idiot in office for longer than his useful life so what the hay! :lol:

Fading in polls, Clinton vows to fight on By Ellen Wulfhorst
2 hours, 9 minutes ago

A teary-eyed Hillary Clinton pushed for support on Monday as polls showed her poised for a huge New Hampshire loss to Democratic rival Barack Obama, but the former front-runner vowed to carry on with her presidential quest even if she loses.

Obama warned supporters against overconfidence as a flood of new polls gave him a double-digit lead over Clinton one day before the state casts the next votes in the race for the White House.

Polls will close in the state at 8 p.m. EST on Tuesday, with results expected to begin rolling in quickly.

At a campaign event in Portsmouth, Clinton choked up and grew uncharacteristically emotional as she talked about her reasons for seeking the presidency in the November election.

"Some of us put ourselves out there and do this," she said, her voice breaking and her eyes glistening with tears, "against some pretty difficult odds and we do it each one of us because we care about our country."

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong," she said in a hesitant, quaking voice. "Some of us are ready and some of us are not."

The incident resurrected memories of former Maine Sen. Edmund Muskie's tears during the 1972 New Hampshire campaign, credited with helping to bring down his front-running bid.

Clinton, who would be the first woman president, promised to stay in the fight until it was over, possibly on "Super Tuesday" on February 5, when 22 states hold nominating contests in the quest to be the party's nominee in the November election.

"Whatever happens tomorrow, we're going on," she told the CBS "Early Show."

"I've always felt that this is going to be a very tough, hard-fought election, and I'm ready for that," added Clinton, who finished third in the first nominating contest in Iowa last week behind Obama and former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards.

Obama rolled across the state in an effort to turn out supporters, warning there was still plenty of work needed before Tuesday's vote.

"Do not take this race for granted. I know we had a nice boost over the last couple of days but elections are funny things," Obama, an Illinois senator vying to become the first black U.S. president, told supporters in Claremont.

In the state's hard-fought Republican race, Sen. John McCain of Arizona held a more narrow lead over former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in new polls. He scrambled across the state to urge supporters to get out and vote -- and asked them to bring a friend.

'I'M GOING TO WIN'

"I need you to get out the vote tomorrow, this could be a very close election and it will depend on voter turnout," McCain said in Keene. "I'm proud to say I'm going to win tomorrow."

New Hampshire is the next battleground in the state-by-state process of picking Democratic and Republican candidates for November's presidential election to succeed President George W. Bush.

A Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby poll showed Obama with a 10-point edge on Clinton in the state, 39 percent to 29 percent, as he gained a wave of momentum from his win in Iowa.

McCain was relegated to the political scrap heap last summer after sinking polls and poor fundraising forced him to shake up his staff and recalibrate his campaign, but he now leads Romney by 5 points in New Hampshire.

Clinton and Romney are both under pressure to revive their campaigns after disappointing showings in Iowa, and a second consecutive loss for either could be devastating.

Romney, who at one time led polls in Iowa and New Hampshire, finished second in Iowa to former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

A wealthy former venture capitalist who has pumped tens of millions of his own money into the race, Romney said he was buoyed by a Sunday night debate where he tangled with McCain and Huckabee over their records on taxes and immigration.

"Right now it's a neck-and-neck race. But with the debate last night and the support I received from that debate I anticipate winning tomorrow," Romney said in Stratham.

Obama has been drawing huge crowds on the campaign trail and was joined on Monday by former Sen. Bill Bradley, a one-time professional basketball star who ran his own unsuccessful presidential campaign in 2000.

"Starting tomorrow morning, you have a chance to declare a new day, you have a chance to turn a page and write a new chapter in American history," Obama said. "It is very important for us all to be clear that we have not won anything yet -- here in New Hampshire."

Apologizing for a hoarse-sounding voice, he added, "I asked a doctor what he would prescribe and he said 'shut up."'

(Additional reporting by Steve Holland, Jeff Mason, Ellen Wulfhorst, Ed Stoddard, Jason Szep in New Hampshire; Writing by John Whitesides; editing by David Wiessler)

(For more about the U.S. political campaign, visit Reuters "Tales from the Trail: 2008" online at http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/)

gigglezk
01-07-2008, 12:25 PM
At a campaign event in Portsmouth, Clinton choked up and grew uncharacteristically emotional as she talked about her reasons for seeking the presidency in the November election.

"Some of us put ourselves out there and do this," she said, her voice breaking and her eyes glistening with tears, "against some pretty difficult odds and we do it each one of us because we care about our country."

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong," she said in a hesitant, quaking voice. "Some of us are ready and some of us are not."[/b]

You know I'm all for believing we are all human and have emotions. However Hil always shows nothing. When she doesn't she is considered the ice queen. So I don't know how she will be considered right now. I honestly consider it a ploy. Maybe if she would of left the bolded statement out, I wouldn't think she is trying to use "women willies" to persuade voters. I don't think her crying was genuine. If she wasn't already a dirty player, then I wouldn't see it this way.

aquababie19
01-07-2008, 02:09 PM
i'm looking at it now and i think it's a ploy as well. the words were crafted so well. and that part you put in bold caught my attention too gigglezk.

Poetic_Butterfly
01-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I think that it shows that Hilary is human and has emotions. I don&#39;t believe that it will affect her platform in anyway other than make her more appealing to women. I am not sure if it is a ploy or not :huh: However, politicians have been known to pull out all the stops to gain votes and beat out the competition! <_<

Peace,
Rasta

tangytic
01-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Well it depends upon who your talking about. She said she doesn&#39;t want to see this country go backwards she showed her true colors IMO (if you know what I mean haha but some may claim they don&#39;t) it will hurt her. Shows that she is not in control of her emotions. The night before she showed she was a sour loser to Barack&#39;s win in Iowa. She talks about the I when Barack talks about the We. These recents events are not a good sign of a leader that has been in the fight for 35 years!

marissasensei
01-07-2008, 06:03 PM
:lol: at the word emotions being in quotes in the thread title.

I think Hillary is in a no-win situation. If she acts unemotional, then she&#39;s cold, calculating, heartless and unlikeable. If she shows any vulnerability, it brings up all the stereotypes about women being weak, emotional, and hysterical. Also, because she has kind of a hard-*** public persona, even if her show of emotion was genuine, it will be dismissed by a lot of people as another political tactic.

I think she was probably sincere because, AFAICS, all of the candidates are looking tired and beatdown right about now, so it&#39;s easy to see how someone could crack.

deecoily
01-07-2008, 09:58 PM

I think Hillary is in a no-win situation. If she acts unemotional, then she&#39;s cold, calculating, heartless and unlikeable. If she shows any vulnerability, it brings up all the stereotypes about women being weak, emotional, and hysterical. Also, because she has kind of a hard-*** public persona, even if her show of emotion was genuine, it will be dismissed by a lot of people as another political tactic.

I think she was probably sincere because, AFAICS, all of the candidates are looking tired and beatdown right about now, so it&#39;s easy to see how someone could crack.
[/b]

I agree 100% - I still like Hillary, and I feel for the ICE QUEEN label. As women, we can&#39;t win either way.

demi
01-08-2008, 03:17 AM
I like Hiliary. She&#39;s a smart & tough woman. If Obama wasn&#39;t running I would have voted for her. But I think her little "break-down" was a ploy to get women to feel sorry for her and give her their vote. It did work on some of them. She&#39;s giving it all she&#39;s got, I&#39;ll give her that much.

CoCo2000
01-08-2008, 03:31 AM
.................all of the candidates are looking tired and beatdown right about now, so it&#39;s easy to see how someone could crack.[/b]
ITA with this, especially the bolded part. They all looked worn out during Saturday night&#39;s debate.

I agree 100% - I still like Hillary, and I feel for the ICE QUEEN label. As women, we can&#39;t win either way.
[/b]
I used to feel this way and thought I would be a little sad for her if she continues to lose the primaries.....until she began her "politics as usual" actions after she lost in Iowa, and I especially did not like her comments when responding to a question on Fox regarding Sen. Obama&#39;s comments about the hope Dr. King (and JFK) inspired. They played the video of her comments on Nightline last night, but here is a quote of it taken from yesterday&#39;s post on this NYTimes blog (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/07/civilrights/):

Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama have been in a running feud arising from her suggestion at Saturday’s debate that he was raising “false hope.”

Mr. Obama responded that Mr. Kennedy did not decide going to the moon was a false hope and that Martin Luther King, Jr. did not see ending segregation as such.

“Dr. King’s dream began to be realized when President Johnson passed the Civil Rights Act,” Mrs. Clinton said when asked about Mr. Obama’s rejoinder by Fox’s Major Garrett after her speech in Dover. “It took a president to get it done.”

Someone needs to remind her that quite a few of us are not pleased with America&#39;s history of being selective in the information that is taught when it comes to our history in this country. True to that form, she conveniently forgot to mention that had it not been for Dr. King and many others in the Movement, I doubt if any president would have acted as though they were even thinking about a Civil Rights Act. President Johnson&#39;s main reason for signing the bill/act into law was his concerns for how the "*****s" (as he repeats over and over again in those infamous tapes) would react if the law was not passed. <_<

(It&#39;s really too early for this! Let me get out of here! :rolleyes: )

Scribetastic
01-08-2008, 04:22 AM
:lol: I KNEW there would be a thread on this.

You know I&#39;m all for believing we are all human and have emotions. However Hil always shows nothing. When she doesn&#39;t she is considered the ice queen. So I don&#39;t know how she will be considered right now. I honestly consider it a ploy. Maybe if she would of left the bolded statement out, I wouldn&#39;t think she is trying to use "women willies" to persuade voters. I don&#39;t think her crying was genuine. If she wasn&#39;t already a dirty player, then I wouldn&#39;t see it this way.
[/b]
I have to say when I saw the tape this morning my reaction was this: :rolleyes:

The thing is Hillary is in this horrible conflict as she&#39;s a woman. She&#39;s hard and like said above, she&#39;s considered an ice queen. I see nothing wrong with her being hard. But we all know that a tough woman gets all sorts of labels put on her and usually they&#39;re not positive. In contrast, let her show emotion and there is a risk she&#39;ll be considered weak.

However, the problem is I think she&#39;s trying to tap into that "charisma" thing and she just doesn&#39;t have it. Obama has IT. That fear that he can&#39;t bring a victory home is fading. Support for Obama is spiraling up, quickly.

I can&#39;t help but think the emotion was a calculated move to show a more human side of Hillary. With all of the years we&#39;ve seen her in public, I think we would have seen this side of her a few times in the past. They&#39;ve been doing that for months, trying to show a well-rounded Hillary. It&#39;s just not registering as sincere.

Like others, I&#39;m set to support Hillary if push comes to shove. But Obama has some great momentum now.

LadyBug13
01-08-2008, 06:26 AM

The thing is Hillary is in this horrible conflict as she&#39;s a woman. She&#39;s hard and like said above, she&#39;s considered an ice queen. I see nothing wrong with her being hard. But we all know that a tough woman gets all sorts of labels put on her and usually they&#39;re not positive. In contrast, let her show emotion and there is a risk she&#39;ll be considered weak.

However, the problem is I think she&#39;s trying to tap into that "charisma" thing and she just doesn&#39;t have it. Obama has IT. That fear that he can&#39;t bring a victory home is fading. Support for Obama is spiraling up, quickly.

I can&#39;t help but think the emotion was a calculated move to show a more human side of Hillary. With all of the years we&#39;ve seen her in public, I think we would have seen this side of her a few times in the past. They&#39;ve been doing that for months, trying to show a well-rounded Hillary. It&#39;s just not registering as sincere.

Like others, I&#39;m set to support Hillary if push comes to shove. But Obama has some great momentum now.
[/b]

I totally agree

PrincessDrRe
01-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Dayum if she do - dayum dayum if she don&#39;t.

She&#39;s at a disadvantage due to being a woman...emotional or not.

tangytic
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Exactly. Don&#39;t try to play the PMS card now with those crocodile tears. She needs to step out the way for Mr Obama. :P

In all seriousness, HC needs to really think about HOW she wants to lose. She is going to lose and she needs to be remembered as a dignified loser - not the woman who held onto a cheating hubby in a well planned political strategy that ultimately DID NOT WORK. Please Hillary, stop the mudslinging and Miss Anne antics. They will be in the history books.
[/b]

:clap:

Chyna Black
01-09-2008, 08:32 AM

[/b]

This is how I see it.....

LBellatrix
01-09-2008, 09:12 AM
I missed this thread...responded to the other one in the Culture forum...

Co-signing SeoulSista and AK (as usual)...

CoCo2000
01-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I can&#39;t say for sure if they were real or not, but I guess her tears worked because the news reports show that she received a large majority of women voters in NH, and some of those who voted were quoted as saying they were moved by her tears. :rolleyes:

ETA:
I just watched this video on cnn.com and thought it was pretty funny (not funny, as in humorous, but funny, as in ironic):

Voter whose question brought Clinton to tears voted for Obama (http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/politics/2008/01/09/chetry.clinton.questioner.cnn)

(I hope the link works.)

LBellatrix
01-09-2008, 11:43 AM
I don&#39;t care what anybody says: Maureen Dowd is the WOMAN.

I was telling my co-worker today that there are people out here who would love for Hill to be a kind of "mama president." Awww...she just wants to take CARE of us! :rolleyes:

Can Hillary Cry Her Way Back to the White House?

Maureen Dowd
New York Times, 1/9/08

When I walked into the office Monday, people were clustering around a computer to watch what they thought they would never see: Hillary Clinton with the unmistakable look of tears in her eyes.

A woman gazing at the screen was grimacing, saying it was bad. Three guys watched it over and over, drawn to the “humanized” Hillary. One reporter who covers security issues cringed. “We are at war,” he said. “Is this how she’ll talk to Kim Jong-il?”

Another reporter joked: “That crying really seemed genuine. I’ll bet she spent hours thinking about it beforehand.” He added dryly: “Crying doesn’t usually work in campaigns. Only in relationships.”

Bill Clinton was known for biting his lip, but here was Hillary doing the Muskie. Certainly it was impressive that she could choke up and stay on message.

She won her Senate seat after being embarrassed by a man. She pulled out New Hampshire and saved her presidential campaign after being embarrassed by another man. She was seen as so controlling when she ran for the Senate that she had to be seen as losing control, as she did during the Monica scandal, before she seemed soft enough to attract many New York voters.

Getting brushed back by Barack Obama in Iowa, her emotional moment here in a cafe and her chagrin at a debate question suggesting she was not likable served the same purpose, making her more appealing, especially to women, particularly to women over 45.

The Obama campaign calculated that they had the women’s vote over the weekend but watched it slip away in the track of her tears.

At the Portsmouth cafe on Monday, talking to a group of mostly women, she blinked back her misty dread of where Obama’s “false hopes” will lead us — “I just don’t want to see us fall backwards,” she said tremulously — in time to smack her rival: “But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us are ready and some of us are not.”

There was a poignancy about the moment, seeing Hillary crack with exhaustion from decades of yearning to be the principal rather than the plus-one. But there was a whiff of Nixonian self-pity about her choking up. What was moving her so deeply was her recognition that the country was failing to grasp how much it needs her. In a weirdly narcissistic way, she was crying for us. But it was grimly typical of her that what finally made her break down was the prospect of losing.

As Spencer Tracy said to Katharine Hepburn in “Adam’s Rib,” “Here we go again, the old juice. Guaranteed heart melter. A few female tears, stronger than any acid.”

The Clintons once more wriggled out of a tight spot at the last minute. Bill churlishly dismissed the Obama phenom as “the biggest fairy tale I’ve ever seen,” but for the last few days, it was Hillary who seemed in danger of being Cinderella. She became emotional because she feared that she had reached her political midnight, when she would suddenly revert to the school girl with geeky glasses and frizzy hair, smart but not the favorite. All those years in the shadow of one Natural, only to face the prospect of being eclipsed by another Natural?

How humiliating to have a moderator of the New Hampshire debate ask her to explain why she was not as popular as the handsome young prince from Chicago. How demeaning to have Obama rather ungraciously chime in: “You’re likable enough.” And how exasperating to be pushed into an angry rebuttal when John Edwards played wingman, attacking her on Obama’s behalf.

“I actually have emotions,” she told CNN’s John Roberts on a damage-control tour. “I know that there are some people who doubt that.” She went on “Access Hollywood” to talk about, as the show put it, “the double standards that a woman running for president faces.” “If you get too emotional, that undercuts you,” Hillary said. “A man can cry; we know that. Lots of our leaders have cried. But a woman, it’s a different kind of dynamic.”

It was a peculiar tactic. Here she was attacking Obama for spreading gauzy emotion by spreading gauzy emotion. When Hillary hecklers yelled “Iron my shirt!” at her in Salem on Monday, it stirred sisterhood.

At Hillary’s victory party in Manchester, Carolyn Marwick, 65, said Hillary showed she was human at the cafe. “I think she’s really tired. She’s been under a lot more scrutiny than the other candidates — how she dresses, how she laughs.”

Her son, David, 35, an actor, said he also “got choked up” when he saw Hillary get choked up. He echoed Hillary’s talking points on the likability issue. “It’s not ‘American Idol.’ You have to vote smart.”

Olivia Cooper, 41, of Concord said, “When you think you’re not going to make it, it’s heart-wrenching when you want something so much.”

Gloria Steinem wrote in The Times yesterday that one of the reasons she is supporting Hillary is that she had “no masculinity to prove.” But Hillary did feel she needed to prove her masculinity. That was why she voted to enable W. to invade Iraq without even reading the National Intelligence Estimate and backed the White House’s bellicosity on Iran.

Yet, in the end, she had to fend off calamity by playing the female victim, both of Obama and of the press. Hillary has barely talked to the press throughout her race even though the Clintons this week whined mightily that the press prefers Obama.

Bill Clinton, campaigning in Henniker on Monday, also played the poor-little-woman card in a less-than-flattering way. “I can’t make her younger, taller or change her gender,” he said. He was so low-energy at events that it sometimes seemed he was distancing himself from her. Now that she is done with New Hampshire, she may distance herself from him, realizing that seeing Bill so often reminds voters that they don’t want to go back to that whole megillah again.

Hillary sounded silly trying to paint Obama as a poetic dreamer and herself as a prodigious doer. “Dr. King’s dream began to be realized when President Johnson passed the Civil Rights Act,” she said. Did any living Democrat ever imagine that any other living Democrat would try to win a presidential primary in New Hampshire by comparing herself to L.B.J.? (Who was driven out of politics by Gene McCarthy in New Hampshire.)

Her argument against Obama now boils down to an argument against idealism, which is probably the lowest and most unlikely point to which any Clinton could sink. The people from Hope are arguing against hope.

At her victory party, Hillary was like the heroine of a Lifetime movie, a woman in peril who manages to triumph. Saying that her heart was full, she sounded the feminist anthem: “I found my own voice.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/opinion/...&pagewanted=all (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/opinion/08dowd.html?ei=5087&em=&en=cf6254796c09c0cf&ex=1200027600&pagewanted=all)

aquababie19
01-09-2008, 12:46 PM
when i heard that "i found my own voice" it almost made me throw up.

i understand the "damned if i do, damned if i don&#39;t" stance. however i feel like she fooled folk into a sympathy vote. but i wasn&#39;t there...

marissasensei
01-09-2008, 12:54 PM
^^^^ AGREED. Love Maureen Dowd, and she is on point as usual.

This was my favorite part:

There was a poignancy about the moment, seeing Hillary crack with exhaustion from decades of yearning to be the principal rather than the plus-one. But there was a whiff of Nixonian self-pity about her choking up. What was moving her so deeply was her recognition that the country was failing to grasp how much it needs her. In a weirdly narcissistic way, she was crying for us. But it was grimly typical of her that what finally made her break down was the prospect of losing.[/b]

Much more tactful way of saying what Jesse Jackson Jr. already said -- of all the screwed up things that have happened to this country in the last few years (Katrina, etc.), the only emotion we see out of her comes when something is all.about.her.

ETA this :lol: : Woman Who Made Hillary Cry Votes Obama (http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=4109322&page=1)

The woman whose empathetic question — "how do you do it?" — sparked uncharacteristic emotion Monday from Sen. Hillary Clinton ended up voting for Sen. Barack Obama in the New Hampshire primary.

Marianne Pernold Young, 64, a freelance photographer from Portsmouth, N.H., told ABC News that while she was moved by Clinton&#39;s emotional moment, she was turned off by how quickly the New York senator regained her "political posture."

"I went to see Hillary. I was undecided and I was moved by her response to me," Pernold Young said in a telephone interview with ABC News. "We saw 10 seconds of Hillary, the caring woman."

"But then when she turned away from me, I noticed that she stiffened up and took on that political posture again," she said. "And the woman that I noticed for 10 seconds was gone." [/b]

Aje_Templar
01-09-2008, 05:44 PM
when i heard that "i found my own voice" it almost made me throw up.

i understand the "damned if i do, damned if i don&#39;t" stance. however i feel like she fooled folk into a sympathy vote. but i wasn&#39;t there...
[/b]

Actually, I think her crocodile tears is what got her those few votes she needed to beat Barack by that narrow 2 percent. Hitlery Clinton has no soul and she will do whatever it takes to get her way, including steal a page out of the weeping whitegirl character book. She knew that doing this would win over enough lipservice liberals to turn the New Hampshire Democratic primary into a King Kong sequel.

And of course, CNN is making it sound like Hitlery blew Barack away by double digits and is totally blowing Hillary&#39;s win out of proportion. Then there was their comments on Barack&#39;s speech after the NH primary... itsn&#39;t it funny how a Black man can&#39;t sound confident without being called arrogant?

But I LOVE how Barack is keeping his cool. B)

Aje

Great article LaBell. That made my day!

What I LOVE is that she played her trump card just to win New Hampshire by a measely 2 percentage points. Gurl, don&#39;t you know we are going to eat you up down here in SC? And you can&#39;t pull out those crocodile tears again for at least a year or two so you won&#39;t be able to use them anymore for the rest of this battle. :lol: :P

It&#39;s still gonna end with Kool Moe Dee lyrics:

I feel like from the words I said, I&#39;ll make a sick man VOTE on his death bed. Sucka partyliners I&#39;ll make your gurl say OWW, she&#39;s jocking. How ya like me now?

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!
[/b]

You took me back with those Kool Moe Dee lyrics. :D

nvsnot
01-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I think the whole display of emotion thing from Hillary was staged. A political ploy to gain support of women. I ain&#39;t buying it.

BARACK FOR PRESIDENT!

Nappilocs
01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
[/b]
Same here. I&#39;m am emotional myself so I am more likely to be moved by tears than most. But I really didn&#39;t buy it.... I need more people. <_<