PDA

View Full Version : Flooring

Batyah
01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
After about 3 years of constantly saying I would get wood floors, I've finally in 2008, decided it's time to put up or shaddup! :) So far I've only had one in-home consultation, and I plan on getting at least two more before I make a final decision. Have any of you ladies recently had wood flooring installed in your homes? If so, do you have any advice on what questions I should consider asking outside of, price?, timeframe to install the new floors?, warranty?, how payment is handled?, and maintenence of floors after installation? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

gigglezk
02-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Are you getting wood wood or laminate wood? We're talking about getting laminate wood so I'm hoping someone can answer your questions too :)

Batyah
02-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Are you getting wood wood or laminate wood? We're talking about getting laminate wood so I'm hoping someone can answer your questions too :)
[/b]
I was thinking about getting Hard Wood (solid wood) but because I'm on a concrete slab, two of the three companies who gave me quotes don't recommend putting down Hard Wood floor because there's a sub-floor that will have to be installed which would ultimately make the floor higher than what it is now. Plus it costs more money and it's more labor intensive. I don't want that because my mom is also on a concrete slab and she had hard wood floors installed and her floor is higher.
Now I'm leaning towards pre-engineered wood floors. It's still real wood except it's layers of wood that's treated and 'finished' so that I won't have to re-finish down the line.

Blaqdiamond4t
02-08-2008, 07:29 AM
hey bat! :)

we had (solid) hardwood floors installed last year. i love em! my dog isn't too happy cuz he can't get a grip when he's running. :lol:

we had them installed in out downstair foyer, up to the first floor, and into the kitchen. i was doubtful about putting hardwood in the kitchen, but it just flows from the dining room and it looks great.

i would recommend getting references from past customers, as well as visiting homes of past customers if possible.

hopefully you can find someone to install without all the hassle.

anabwi
02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
[/b]

We have laminate in all the rooms except the wet ones; bathrooms, kitchen and adjoining family room have tile. The laminate has been down 6 years and we've had no problems, just easier to see the dust bunnies. :lol: :lol:
Ours were installed over concrete slab with a vapor barrier membrane. Wish we'd done it ourselves after watching the installers because it's the click-together kind, but oh well !! 6 years ago labor and materials for roughly 1820 sq ft was $4300.00

Batyah
02-08-2008, 06:34 PM
hey bat! :)

we had (solid) hardwood floors installed last year. i love em! my dog isn't too happy cuz he can't get a grip when he's running. :lol:

we had them installed in out downstair foyer, up to the first floor, and into the kitchen. i was doubtful about putting hardwood in the kitchen, but it just flows from the dining room and it looks great.

i would recommend getting references from past customers, as well as visiting homes of past customers if possible.

hopefully you can find someone to install without all the hassle.
[/b]
Hey BLL!! ^_^
Lemme ask you, do you have a basement or is your downstairs a concrete slab? You mentioned you have hardwood installed in your downstairs foyer so I was just wondering. :unsure: Or was that not a concern for you?
I've seen pictures of hardwood floors in the kitchen and in the bathroom and it looks great, but I'm so leary about doing that for obvious reasons.
Thanks for the advice. ^_^

Blaqdiamond4t
02-08-2008, 07:01 PM
yep, the floor in the basement/foyer is concrete. the floor was raised a little, but we were able to accommodate
it. we have laminate floors in the workout room of the basement. facety put them down by herself - it didn't take too long.

Batyah
02-08-2008, 07:23 PM
yep, the floor in the basement/foyer is concrete. the floor was raised a little, but we were able to accommodate
it. we have laminate floors in the workout room of the basement. facety put them down by herself - it didn't take too long.
[/b]
Oh ok! I wish I was adventureous enough to do certain home improvement projects. <_<

bellagirl
02-10-2008, 10:14 PM
a few things to ask and consider:

what is the durability of the floors? what species of wood are they going to install; pine, birch, maple, etc.? if you have high traffic areas, is that particular wood type good for that area? do they recommend floor treatments, how often and who will perform the work? what type of hardwood do they suggest; Solid, Acrylic or Engineered? are they licensed and bonded (just in case, because i will hunt a fool down for messing up my home) :lol: ask if that particular wood will expand in humidity and if so what do they plan to do to prevent this from happening?

educate yourself on the wood being installed so you know how to care for it. if one company says they can install over your concrete, find out what there method is and how it might affect you. if that one company says yes, don&#39;t stop there investigate another until you&#39;re happy with the results.

my home has hardwood in the kitchen and at first it struck me as odd, but honestly I would have it no other way. Its easy to clean because I have an open floor plan.

i hope this helps :)

gigglezk
02-11-2008, 07:01 AM
We have laminate in all the rooms except the wet ones; bathrooms, kitchen and adjoining family room have tile. The laminate has been down 6 years and we&#39;ve had no problems, just easier to see the dust bunnies. :lol: :lol:
Ours were installed over concrete slab with a vapor barrier membrane. Wish we&#39;d done it ourselves after watching the installers because it&#39;s the click-together kind, but oh well !! 6 years ago labor and materials for roughly 1820 sq ft was $4300.00
[/b]

Thanks! DH and I talked it over again and said Hell to the Naw!!!! :lol: We&#39;re in the process of selling our house and we just want to give it a little extra and make it look even nicer but decided laminate wasn&#39;t that necessary. So this weekend, we&#39;re giving the kitchen floor a face lift with some new vinyl flooring. Shoot, whoever buys our home will be getting new kitchen appliances and a newly redecorated bathroom...they can live without some damn laminate <_< (yes I&#39;m very bitter that someone else is going to indulge in my hard work)

Batyah
02-11-2008, 07:36 AM
a few things to ask and consider:

what is the durability of the floors? what species of wood are they going to install; pine, birch, maple, etc.? if you have high traffic areas, is that particular wood type good for that area? do they recommend floor treatments, how often and who will perform the work? what type of hardwood do they suggest; Solid, Acrylic or Engineered? are they licensed and bonded (just in case, because i will hunt a fool down for messing up my home) :lol: ask if that particular wood will expand in humidity and if so what do they plan to do to prevent this from happening?

educate yourself on the wood being installed so you know how to care for it. if one company says they can install over your concrete, find out what there method is and how it might affect you. if that one company says yes, don&#39;t stop there investigate another until you&#39;re happy with the results.

my home has hardwood in the kitchen and at first it struck me as odd, but honestly I would have it no other way. Its easy to clean because I have an open floor plan.

i hope this helps :)
[/b]
Thanks for the advice Chikinkyvirgo! :)

sunschild57
02-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I have the pre finished oak hardwood floors in my home. It was put down right over the slab. It&#39;s been four years and we&#39;ve had no problems. A couple of companies said we should not lay the wood floor over the slab but I knew it would be ok because we did it in our last house and that floor looked great when we sold the house 8 years later. In our last home, we had wood floors all over, even in the kitchen. In this house, we have slate in the kitchen.

We bought our flooring from Floor and Decor, 1690 Northeast Expressway Atlanta GA US 30329 (Directions:
I-85 South, Clairmont Rd. Exit). Our neighbor installs hardwood floors for a living so he did ours and did a great job. My only complaint is in the flooring we selected. In our old house, we used Bruce pre finished hardwood and I loved it. This time we used flooring that was cheaper and I wish we hadn&#39;t. Another neighbor used Bella Wood and it looks great (get Bella Wood from Lumber Liquidators 1530 Rockbridge Rd NW
Conyers, GA 30012). If you go to Floor and Decor, get the Bruce flooring.

If you want my neighbors info, let me know.

Batyah
02-27-2008, 07:58 AM
I have the pre finished oak hardwood floors in my home. It was put down right over the slab. It&#39;s been four years and we&#39;ve had no problems. A couple of companies said we should not lay the wood floor over the slab but I knew it would be ok because we did it in our last house and that floor looked great when we sold the house 8 years later. In our last home, we had wood floors all over, even in the kitchen. In this house, we have slate in the kitchen.

We bought our flooring from Floor and Decor, 1690 Northeast Expressway Atlanta GA US 30329 (Directions:
I-85 South, Clairmont Rd. Exit). Our neighbor installs hardwood floors for a living so he did ours and did a great job. My only complaint is in the flooring we selected. In our old house, we used Bruce pre finished hardwood and I loved it. This time we used flooring that was cheaper and I wish we hadn&#39;t. Another neighbor used Bella Wood and it looks great (get Bella Wood from Lumber Liquidators 1530 Rockbridge Rd NW
Conyers, GA 30012). If you go to Floor and Decor, get the Bruce flooring.

If you want my neighbors info, let me know.
[/b]
Thanks for the heads up Sunschild. I&#39;ve put my project on hold for now. I need to take care of some other things first. :)