PDA

View Full Version : Cnn / Congressional Black Caucus Institute Debate

taniseka
01-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Woooooweee. Clinton and Obama certainly didn't waste any time attacking each other in this debate

I'm just popping in because I have to give Hillary props. Her biggest strength in debates is Obama's biggest weakness. She is clear with what she plans to do. She says we will do "A, B, and C" while Obama starts talking about how he is going to find the pen and the paper to write down his plans. I am rooting for him, but it is sooo frustrating to watch him do this.

Why doesn't he give explicit examples of what he would do to improve the economy or health care? Why does it take him so long. This is not his first debate, and these questions should not be that surprising.

What are your thoughts?

your neighbour from the north,

taniseka

ETA: I can't access tv and internet at the same time, so I'll be back later to read what you have to say

masoesa
01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
The debate was hot and I enjoyed it but I think in the end Barack was was clear. The distortion of his record and what he says is frustrating. I am glad he was able to clear that up.

Hillary is good though. I admire her but I am afraid it will be politics as usual not that big of a difference than what Barack stands for.

Edwards is great but very theoretic.

britni
01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm watching.

I sometimes get a little frustrated while watching Barack speak as well. He goes around the barn (as my friend would say) when he's trying to make a point. Maybe he just tries to thoroughly think out his answers before saying them? Ionno. I still luvs me some him, though! :P

As I watch Hillary, I keep thinking to myself that I could like her (not enough to vote for her, though) but she&#39;s just so....so...Hillary! :lol: Nah, seriously, she&#39;s diabolical in some ways and I think she tries to set up Barack from time to time. <_<

As for John, I can&#39;t see him as president but I do think it&#39;s noble of him to not accept money from lobbyists. :) When he speaks I get distracted by his charming, country-bumpkin Southern accent! ^_^ I don&#39;t hear anything else, though. :mellow:

wannabenappy
01-21-2008, 06:35 PM
I&#39;m watching now...all I have to say is Obama is being vague. Clinton and Edwards are more specific about their plans.

I don&#39;t know...I&#39;m just tired of this popularity contest of which candidates is the most likable. I don&#39;t need a candidate to just appeal to my emotions and make me feel good inside I just want some one who can get the job done and I&#39;m sorry Obama...you give me the warm fuzzies but I&#39;m not convinced to choose you yet.

masoesa
01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Barack his best answer was the one about race. Really excellent. He also clarified the Ronald Regan issue very well. Most funny answer the one about Bill Clinton. Also strategic excellent the way he gave him credit.

taniseka
01-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Barack his best answer was the one about race. Really excellent. He also clarified the Ronald Regan issue very well. Most funny answer the one about Bill Clinton. Also strategic excellent the way he gave him credit.
[/b]

IA with the above. He answered well there. But I was screaming during the economy question. Hillary answered so well with every.single.thing she would do. I&#39;m not a Clinton fan, but I had to admit she was good there.

Ebonique
01-21-2008, 06:58 PM
I honestly am not really feeling any one of them more than the other. Should Hillary or Barack become the democratic candidate, it&#39;ll be interesting to see how they do against someone like a McCain. Do either of them really have what it takes to pull independents, undecideds and some republicans over to their side.

gigglezk
01-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Missed it because I am in the middle of the most disturbing conversation ever right now, but I&#39;ve recorded it and will be watching it once this drama is over.

mehogeni
01-21-2008, 07:09 PM
man.....lol ok...I&#39;ve been like the anti-Hillary girl on this site.....so you already know how I am......

hillary says she&#39;s gonna do this and this and that..and then never does it....she hasn&#39;t, and yet she&#39;s the most experienced??.... her experience/ideas brought nothing to the white house, and frankly her experience/ideas as president isn&#39;t gonna do anything profound either.....i find it hilarious she&#39;s talking about her cute lil ideas but never talks about the fact her past ideas don&#39;t add up to ish......she&#39;s like one of those old men you see in the street who never graduated highschool talking about he&#39;s gonna be rich one day, and will even give you a thought out plan with ideas and everything...yet his a** is still out on the corner trying to holla at young girls, smoking, and doing nothing with his life....

I respect Obama because through his actions and decisions as a politician he has SHOWN he thinks things through and makes very intellectual moves... he tries to think things through before opening his mouth...while HIlary just comes out the gate going "imma do this that and this" ...like that dumb a** answer she gave about freezing the mortgage interest rates for a temporary period during the nevada debate, giving the U.S. a quick fix but not even caring about the long term implications that bullish mess will have on the economy...............while Obama took his time and didnt even say he was gonna freeze interest rates but actually hit the SOURCE of the problem which is educating poeple more about loans(especially in lower income households), reducing all this predatory lending to begin with, and helping people find ways to consolidate their loans so people wont need a dang handout from the government and can prevent all this mess from happening AGAIN after hilary&#39;s STUPID quick fix to the mortgage crisis(which would happen again of course &#39;cause people/banks would do the same mess over and over again when it comes to mortgage loans without intervention...and don&#39;t forget it&#39;s a temporary fix meaning after say 5 years..aka when her a** is either gone or up for reelection where she can use that as leverage to get votes to say &#39;hey ill freeze rates again...just vote ME FOR PRESIDENT!&#39; people gotta still deal with the threat of rising interest rates regardless)....sometimes I feel the woman just says stuff she thinks will make people feel good for the moment instead of thinking of ways to truly improve the country...just like her hubby

anyways............you can&#39;t argue with his record vs. Billary...

masoesa
01-21-2008, 07:10 PM
IA with the above. He answered well there. But I was screaming during the economy question. Hillary answered so well with every.single.thing she would do. I&#39;m not a Clinton fan, but I had to admit she was good there.
[/b]
She was very clear. Being clear is one of her strong points but I take into account that most of these answers have been stamped in her head. She can probably repeat them in her sleep.

I listened to Brian Lehrer on WNYC when their economy spokes persons were on and the plans of Obama and Clinton are alike but Obama&#39;s is more practical. Edwards&#39; spokes man was really really long and completely not to the point but still very idealistic.

Aje_Templar
01-21-2008, 07:35 PM
This was Barack&#39;s theme song for tonight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7l250E5uM4

Don&#39;t you neva... eva... pull my leva!!

Cuzz I exploooooooode! And my 9 is easy to load!

:lol:

I think Barack had no intentions of making a clear plan or stance on anything. His plans were clearly to lay the smackdown on Hillary. He could have focused on policy if he wanted to, but he came into this debate with the intentions of slapping her up in retaliation to all of the propaganda coming from the Clinton camp.

I have to wonder if he was getting too aggressive, though. It seems he would have learned from NH that CNN can easily spin this.

Aje

masoesa
01-21-2008, 08:01 PM
I honestly am not really feeling any one of them more than the other. Should Hillary or Barack become the democratic candidate, it&#39;ll be interesting to see how they do against someone like a McCain. Do either of them really have what it takes to pull independents, undecideds and some republicans over to their side.
[/b]
I think Barack has proved that already. That was what he was talking about when he made that statement about Regan that got him into trouble.

browneyez06
01-22-2008, 04:30 AM
Well I personally was waiting for her to start with the tears again. Did anyone see the way she was shooting daggers with her eyes at Obama when he was trying to clear things up in regards to the Regan comments?

If looks could kill, Obama would be flatlined by now :lol:

gigglezk
01-22-2008, 06:46 AM
I think Barack had no intentions of making a clear plan or stance on anything. His plans were clearly to lay the smackdown on Hillary. He could have focused on policy if he wanted to, but he came into this debate with the intentions of slapping her up in retaliation to all of the propaganda coming from the Clinton camp.

I have to wonder if he was getting too aggressive, though. It seems he would have learned from NH that CNN can easily spin this.
Aje
[/b]

Still haven&#39;t watched it all yet, but I have to agree with this. He talks about policy in almost every debate so I really think this was just a STFU Billary night. I don&#39;t know if he was too aggressive though. From what I&#39;m reading, it sounds like he is winning points for setting her straight. Usually, they say he never hits hard enough. Now they are saying he hit her in the right spots. So we&#39;ll just have to see how this plays out on Saturday.

But really, why does Hilary&#39;s experience keep flipping back and forth between 35 years and 13 years? Which is it?

LuaBonita
01-22-2008, 06:58 AM
are any of these debates saved online? i dont have a tv or cable!!

ive seen debates in 1 million parts on youtube but i cant be arsed to go search for them all

napturallyme
01-22-2008, 07:00 AM
I enjoyed the drama debates last night :lol:

As for Barack being vague, I don&#39;t think he&#39;s that vague on his points. I think a lot of time he is trying to clear up the distortions of his statements, history, and views that Hillary keeps throwing out there. I also get the sense that he hasn&#39;t completed his plans yet and he doesn&#39;t want to get locked into certain statements and then have to back track later on.

Edwards seems like he always piggy backs off of what either Hil or Barack say. I think he should drop out the race and back up Barack at this point. They could bring Hil down together.

prttygrl21
01-22-2008, 08:20 AM
I sometimes get a little frustrated while watching Barack speak as well. He goes around the barn (as my friend would say) when he&#39;s trying to make a point. Maybe he just tries to thoroughly think out his answers before saying them? Ionno. I still luvs me some him, though! :P
[/b]

I think Barack can give some good speeches but debating is not his strong point. I think he&#39;s getting a little better though. At least he&#39;s starting to take some positions on things (well, maybe not last night but in general). My joke about him used to be, "where can you find Barack Obama? Sitting on any fence in America." At least he&#39;s progressed from that.

[/b]

I agree. If you were looking for information in last night&#39;s debate, you weren&#39;t going to get it. Yesterday was all about the bickering and school yard antics.

Can somebody make Bill go away. This is not his race. I think we just got a taste of what it will be like if he becomes the first "gentleman". Hilary needs to reign him in.

Speaking of reigning people in, I hate to see the Dems tear each other apart like they&#39;re doing. Way to give the Republicans fodder. I think Kennedy tried to talk to them. Howard Dean or somebody needs to reign in the troops.

aquababie19
01-22-2008, 10:08 AM
cnn.com has video of the debate. i am watching it now.

Knsoroma
01-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Instead of watching the debates, I went to see Bill Clinton speak for Hillary at a rally. I am not a Hillary fan but I was so impressed by the level of detail in her plans.

This is really what Barak is lacking. I really need to hear him speak, alone, on what his plans are in order to decide.

I&#39;ll watch the debates online.

browneyez06
01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Edwards seems like he always piggy backs off of what either Hil or Barack say. I think he should drop out the race and back up Barack at this point. They could bring Hil down together.
[/b]

He probably will after Florida...

gigglezk
01-22-2008, 11:35 AM
^^^I thought Florida was mainly a republican thing and not really a big deal for democrats. I think Barack is off the ticket there. But I do wonder if he will drop out after S. Carolina. Although, I think he will do really well in S. Carolina, hopefully better than Hillary. All the bickering between those two has really opened a path for Edwards to jump on.

napturallyme
01-22-2008, 11:39 AM
^^^I thought Florida was mainly a republican thing and not really a big deal for democrats. I think Barack is off the ticket there. But I do wonder if he will drop out after S. Carolina. Although, I think he will do really well in S. Carolina, hopefully better than Hillary. All the bickering between those two has really opened a path for Edwards to jump on.
[/b]

Yeah FL is null and void for the Dems. I think Edwards may beat Clinton in S.C. he&#39;s a southern guy and I think he has a lot of supporters in the Carolinas. I don&#39;t see Hil picking up S.C. Didn&#39;t he drop out early on in the last presidential primaries?

Soul Rebel
01-22-2008, 03:00 PM
I didn&#39;t see the debate. Was it really that serious? I&#39;m sitting in an airport right now where they are BLASTING CNN <_< , and for the Past. Hour. they have been talking about "Clintons & Obama At War" . At War? Seriously?

in any event, I&#39;m not feeling how they&#39;re starting to try to paint Sen Obama as the "Angry Black Man"... <_<

Msafiri
01-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I didn&#39;t see the debate. Was it really that serious? I&#39;m sitting in an airport right now where they are BLASTING CNN <_< , and for the Past. Hour. they have been talking about "Clintons & Obama At War" . At War? Seriously?

in any event, I&#39;m not feeling how they&#39;re starting to try to paint Sen Obama as the "Angry Black Man"... <_<

[/b]

He should stay clear of the bickering.They are enjoying riling him up

Clinton, Obama crossfire continues
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080122/ap_on_...r/clinton_obama (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080122/ap_on_el_pr/clinton_obama)

Speaking to reporters in Washington, Hillary Clinton belittled Obama&#39;s line of debate criticism against her as "rehearsed points."

"I think what we saw last night was that he&#39;s very frustrated," she said. "I believe that the events of the last 10 or so days, the outcome of New Hampshire and Nevada, have apparently convinced him to adopt a different strategy."

Former President Clinton said Tuesday he enjoyed the bickering.

"I know you think it&#39;s crazy, but I kind of like to see Barack and Hillary fight," Bill Clinton told a mostly white crowd of about 300 at a black church in Greenville, S.C. "They&#39;re flesh and blood people and they have their differences — let them have it."[/b]

GalaxyGirl2012
01-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Former President Clinton said Tuesday he enjoyed the bickering.

"I know you think it&#39;s crazy, but I kind of like to see Barack and Hillary fight," Bill Clinton told a mostly white crowd of about 300 at a black church in Greenville, S.C. "They&#39;re flesh and blood people and they have their differences — let them have it."

What in the hizell :huh: ? Michelle better watch herself

i&#39;ve always thought if any 2 couples in american politics were swingers it was arnold/maria and ....

billary.

also i dont understand that quote how was there mostly white people at a black church? or were the black people sitting in the pews with their ipods on and not listening?

gigglezk
01-22-2008, 06:58 PM
i&#39;ve always thought if any 2 couples in american politics were swingers it was arnold/maria and ....

billary.

[/b]

Sounds about right. It makes sense that they are probably sleeping with other people as they aren&#39;t sleeping together