PDA

View Full Version : Natural Salons In Knoxville, Tn

Alisha24
01-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Does anyone know of any natural salons in Knoxville, TN?

Thanks, :)

noire08
02-23-2008, 07:06 PM

[/b]

I was looking as well for a natural salon, just moved in the area (Knoxville) fall 2007, and still looking! Had some bad experiences already with "non-natural specializing" hair salons that claim they can do natural hair, and been hurt (physically! ouch!) and disappointed. Please let me know if you found/find one, thanks!

Sabrina97
02-23-2008, 07:16 PM
There are none. I have found one stylist, Alisha, at Gam's Barbershop, and I imagine that there are other individual stylists, but there are no shops. I usually do my own hair, and get it braided by friends. Sorry....closest shops I know of are in Atlanta.
:(

noire08
03-16-2008, 03:12 PM
I didn't find a natural hair salon, but I found a great person who can do natural hair! She did mine this past friday. She washed, deep conditioned and burnt it! What was awesome was that when she burnt it, she used natural shea butter mixed with rosemary essential oil, amazing! Usually people use chemical based pressing oil, but she knew the real deal. Her name is Marva Williams, and she's a hair stylist in "Jessie's Hair Salon" off Middlebrook Pike in West Knoxville.

I had wonderful experience. I'm not sure of what else she does, but I do know she does ALLL types of hair, as in all kinds of people. I was so excited about her being able to do me that I forgot to ask if she does other kinds of natural styles.

Anyway, look her up if you can, and ask!

You can check my profile pics to see what kind of hair I have...

Blessings,
CJ

[/b]

artchick
05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I live in knoxville. Ive been here since I was 6 and i am 20now... Im looking for a salon. Aveda in turkey creek has a women with natural hair and one woman with a chemical fire cream who can do natural styles- her name is kim. She was cool but she mentioned the word weak chemical fire cream and that I should think about it to soften up my hair and make it more mangable. Needless to say that was the one and only time Ive been to her. She did cut off my scab hair but she "evened" my hair out so it looked weird and 'I had to get some kinky twist while it grew out.

I know there are some african ladiess who do locks but I dont know if they do natural hair. From my experience from gettng braids they dont like natural hair. And my hair nappy-nappy coarse hair with alot of straight hair growing soo Idk how they would handle normal non confused hair.

-What is her number? I need my hair trimmed and some professional lovin lol

I didn't find a natural hair salon, but I found a great person who can do natural hair! She did mine this past friday. She washed, deep conditioned and burnt it! What was awesome was that when she burnt it, she used natural shea butter mixed with rosemary essential oil, amazing! Usually people use chemical based pressing oil, but she knew the real deal. Her name is Marva Williams, and she's a hair stylist in "Jessie's Hair Salon" off Middlebrook Pike in West Knoxville.

I had wonderful experience. I'm not sure of what else she does, but I do know she does ALLL types of hair, as in all kinds of people. I was so excited about her being able to do me that I forgot to ask if she does other kinds of natural styles.

Anyway, look her up if you can, and ask!

You can check my profile pics to see what kind of hair I have...

Blessings,
CJ
[/b]

Sabrina97
06-10-2008, 04:07 AM
I still have not really found anyone. I don't want my hair pressed anymore, and I'm looking for options in other locations. I'm checking into Nashville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta. Any ideas?

bhop13
06-18-2008, 03:26 AM
I spend a third of every year in Knoxville and I've been to one person who said they did natural hair (when I was pressing it) and I hated it. she used some grease and kept having to go over it to straighten it. It never took me doing all that to burn my hair straight and as soon as a little moisture hit it it was OVER!

I did meet a Black guy that works at Sephora in West Town that does hair and he said a lot of his clients are natural. You'd know him if you saw him, lol.

I'm in Nashville now but moving to Knoxville soon and I'm originally from Atlanta so I think I'll either be going to Nashville or Atlanta to get my hair done.

artchick
06-19-2008, 07:03 PM
I still have not really found anyone. I don't want my hair pressed anymore, and I'm looking for options in other locations. I'm checking into Nashville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta. Any ideas?
[/b]
My friend got a hold of a salon in Atlanta and they had the nerve to say they would try out alot of different products to see what would work. You know of course she said you could stay home and do that. Knoxville needs a salon. I know there is a woman at Salon Visage in downtown west who claims to do natural hair. I have an appointment friday Ill let you know if she's any good.

Sabrina97
07-03-2008, 03:10 AM
I know the guy at Sephora. He gave me a trim and actually did a very good job. His name is Joseph and he does weaves and presses too at Makeovers on Asheville Highway. Larie, how did the appointment at Salon Visage go? Can you give us an idea of the cost too?

lmoore38
07-15-2008, 03:23 AM
Hi Ladies,

I am in Knoxville now, and transitioning, but also looking for someone to do my hair! We should all get in touch, I have a friend who is also here, also natural, and we can go on the hunt together, or at least get a good carpool up to make it to Atlanta or Nashville.

Sabrina97
07-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Hi Ladies,

I am in Knoxville now, and transitioning, but also looking for someone to do my hair! We should all get in touch, I have a friend who is also here, also natural, and we can go on the hunt together, or at least get a good carpool up to make it to Atlanta or Nashville.
[/b]

Interesting thought... what does everyone else think?

bhop13
07-30-2008, 05:00 PM
So I think I'll be in Atlanta enough to let my stylist down there do my hair, lol. I'm just really funny about the stylists up here. a lot of the hair I see here is pretty bad but i may try Joseph. I really like a flat twist set every once in a while.

@Sabrina: What are his prices looking like? What kind of products does he use?

beaka
08-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Over the past year I actually graduated from UT then moved to Nashville and am now in Atl. I went to Angel at Annette's hair gallery off Magnolia when I got my hair flat ironed, and she did a great job. She recently permed her hair, but she had long natural hair and takes good care of it.

noire08
11-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Over the past year I actually graduated from UT then moved to Nashville and am now in Atl. I went to Angel at Annette's hair gallery off Magnolia when I got my hair flat ironed, and she did a great job. She recently permed her hair, but she had long natural hair and takes good care of it.
[/b]

This is Charlee--never saw all these posts since I last posted back in March! Well, I had found a great hair stylist sho speciallized in "caring and maintenance" of natural hiar, and she did a fine job pressing it out with just rosemary mixed with pure shea butter! But alas, she's moved to North Carolina, as of late August...

I twist my own hair, but I want it pressed so I can get a good trim...it hasn't been trimmed since she left!! Ouch! Who's this "special" guy in Sephora? Does he do hair on the side??

My husband needs a trim as well (his is longer than mine)...help!

Blessings,
CJ (aka Noire08)

PS_ to "beaka:" do you still have Angel's number? I'm getting desparate...again...

noire08
11-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Interesting thought... what does everyone else think?
[/b]

I'm game for that...I have in-laws that live in North Atlanta....

Luminouz_Flame
12-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I just moved to Knoxville from Mississippi and my hair is suffering. I want to protect it this winter. Apparently there aren't any salons that can help with the haircare but what about braids? I really want to see how tree braids will work for me. Anybody have any ideas? :(

noire08
12-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Hello Luminouz (and others),

Wow, I love your pictures on fotki! I only wished I'd taken transition pictures back in the day (I'm 7 years strong!) It's so nice to see how your hair and styles evolve!!

Well, I have no idea what tree braids are, so I can't help you there. I've been in Knoxville, a year and a half now, and my Knoxville natural hair stylist left in august! Yikes! She was awesome (completely into natural products, natural hair, and hair health). But I have heard of other prospects in the last few weeks. I recently met someone who has a hair stylist here in Knoxville who will wash and flat flaming hot tool of hair torture her hair, helping her to transition (I think she's at a year+ ?). I will find out the stylist's name and number.

FYI: Also recently, my old hair stylist emailed me a couple names that are here in Knox. here's what she said:
"there is an older lady in East Knoxville named Ruth. I think the name of the salon is Hair Fashions.
And there is a lady in Alcoa named Katrina ( she taught me everything I know) 681-0400"

Now, mind you, I haven't tried either of them as yet. I became desperate for a trim (it had been 6 months, yikes!) and went to JCPenney's salon...nevertheless, I was truly hurt by the budget-busting prices...they charged me:
$10 for the "long" length of my hair
$14 for "cutting maintenance" aka a trim!
$65 for a wash and press (ridiculous!)
Add this up and minus a 10% off coupon and you get a less than mediocre hair job for way too much money (and btw, my hair was NOT styled after pressing).

I don't like to complain...but I do like to inform...

Blessings,
CJCB (aka Noire08)

PS--We should have a napptural outing! And maybe take that trip to Nashville or Atlanta like "Lmoore38" suggested.
PPS--I twist hair (just on the side, I've done my husband's hair for 7 years) so if anyone wants an easy style for minimal cost ($20-$35!) let me know! Just a graduate engineering student trying to get some extra change :-)
PPPS--sorry for the looonnnggg message! :blush:

I just moved to Knoxville from Mississippi and my hair is suffering. I want to protect it this winter. Apparently there aren't any salons that can help with the haircare but what about braids? I really want to see how tree braids will work for me. Anybody have any ideas? :(
[/b]

lmoore38
01-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Okay, who is up for a nappy lunch, we need to meet up since we all here in Knoxvegas!

Hello Luminouz (and others),

Wow, I love your pictures on fotki! I only wished I'd taken transition pictures back in the day (I'm 7 years strong!) It's so nice to see how your hair and styles evolve!!

Well, I have no idea what tree braids are, so I can't help you there. I've been in Knoxville, a year and a half now, and my Knoxville natural hair stylist left in august! Yikes! She was awesome (completely into natural products, natural hair, and hair health). But I have heard of other prospects in the last few weeks. I recently met someone who has a hair stylist here in Knoxville who will wash and flat flaming hot tool of hair torture her hair, helping her to transition (I think she's at a year+ ?). I will find out the stylist's name and number.

FYI: Also recently, my old hair stylist emailed me a couple names that are here in Knox. here's what she said:
"there is an older lady in East Knoxville named Ruth. I think the name of the salon is Hair Fashions.
And there is a lady in Alcoa named Katrina ( she taught me everything I know) 681-0400"

Now, mind you, I haven't tried either of them as yet. I became desperate for a trim (it had been 6 months, yikes!) and went to JCPenney's salon...nevertheless, I was truly hurt by the budget-busting prices...they charged me:
$10 for the "long" length of my hair
$14 for "cutting maintenance" aka a trim!
$65 for a wash and press (ridiculous!)
Add this up and minus a 10% off coupon and you get a less than mediocre hair job for way too much money (and btw, my hair was NOT styled after pressing).

I don't like to complain...but I do like to inform...

Blessings,
CJCB (aka Noire08)

PS--We should have a napptural outing! And maybe take that trip to Nashville or Atlanta like "Lmoore38" suggested.
PPS--I twist hair (just on the side, I've done my husband's hair for 7 years) so if anyone wants an easy style for minimal cost ($20-$35!) let me know! Just a graduate engineering student trying to get some extra change :-)
PPPS--sorry for the looonnnggg message! :blush:
[/b]

artchick
01-22-2009, 01:59 AM
The appointment at Salon Visage was ok. The cute was awesome best to date but the problem was when she was shampooing my hair she whispered to another black woman employee" would you ever do this? "(pointing to my hair) and the woman said hell naw. They laughed but they didnt know I could see their reflection in a mirror and that I could read lips. The cost was $50 and they automatically added a tip. I'm still mad about that. She said I should go to Atlanta and try one of those natural salons.

I also just got my hair trimmed at Aveda 2 weeks ago. NEVER EVER EVER GO THERE!!! I told her trim and she just the hair in the back of my hair to 2inches! My hair is uneven multiple different lengths and they wont give me a refund. She put some weird products in my hair and it took 2 washes to get it out; my hair could absorb any mosturizing products- basically wasting my Qhemets. I told her I'm in a wedding next month and I need all of my length so I can do an updo well i told you what happened but my hair does look healthier, less frizzy and more curl definition.

Sorry about the late reply I never received email notification.

Okay, who is up for a nappy lunch, we need to meet up since we all here in Knoxvegas!
[/b]

I would love a nappy lunch! Did you ever have any luck finding someone? My boss has a daughter who does natural hair in South Knox , a salon next to Baptist Hospital.

bhop13
01-22-2009, 02:24 AM
I've just decided I'd rather do my own hair. I'm not doing any heat styling and it sounds like most people get their hair pressed. A little pamper session would be nice but the time and money of a salon would have me on edge, lol.

Has any one gotten a trim without any blow drying or pressing?

artchick
01-24-2009, 03:48 PM
I've just decided I'd rather do my own hair. I'm not doing any heat styling and it sounds like most people get their hair pressed. A little pamper session would be nice but the time and money of a salon would have me on edge, lol.

Has any one gotten a trim without any blow drying or pressing?
[/b]
Yes I did, but it seems like they cut it more unevenly if its not blown out. I got my last trim on stretch hair and she washed it.. worse trim ever!. I he other trim was on wash and deep conditioned hair. Much better cut- I went to Adrianne at Salon Visage

beaka
02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I saw someone asked... I don't have Angel's number anymore, but Annette's salon was in the phone book.

As for JC Penney, I went there too and this chick tried to hustle me! <_< Girl, I cut up when she tried to charge me for my long hair on top of all this other stuff. She took it off, because she knew I was gonna talk to her manager. I wonder if it&#39;s the same woman... the one I had was a crazy larger lady. telling me about her kids and how she was getting married to a man who had like 4 kids that she met 2 weeks ago... crazy Knoxville people...

Luminouz_Flame
02-17-2009, 03:08 AM
I should really get on here more often. I am ALL FOR a nappy lunch, dinner, gathering...something! Let&#39;s do it y&#39;all! :D

jaleksa
02-25-2009, 12:34 AM
I keep seeing Nashville mentioned. What are some good salons in that area?

noire08
01-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Wow I tried to post and it rejected and erased my entire post....sigh...I forgot what I said...

Oh yeah--I'm back at Napp!! sorry for the long 8 month hiatus...in the meantime I completed a dissertation, and now I am a Dr. :-) yay!!

@bhop13-- I also have stopped using heat a half year ago, but I have yet to figure out this trimming thing...I attempted to trim my ends myself strand by strand, and it took like 6 hours, not sure what I may have did wrong, lol...but I have heard that doing a "braid out" and then trimming should speed up the process...but make sure to get a REAL hair-cutting scissors. Mine cost about 20-30 bucks....

Anyway, I see every few months there's a lone post here....lol...

Who's up for the Knoxville lunch/breakfast/dinner? (I love breakfast!!) Let me know! I'll set up an alert so I can actually get replies to posts next time, lol...