PDA

View Full Version : What Kinda Jobs Do U Nappy's Have, Did Nappiness Come Before Or After?

Jokae
01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Convo with a friend (who's a hidden nappy) about my career prospects resulted in her saying many people with nappy hair usually do it when they have become successful or when they decide to do a job which allows them to express themselves i.e be a poet or writer or muscian ect.

Does anyone think being nappy decreases their chances in the work place, or in any other areana in social mobility i.e finding a man, being excepted by family etc? (my daddy loves my hair ^_^ ) Have things been going too well for me maybe because i havn't had a real job yet?

I'm a student in my final year and really would like to know whether i should be worried, because i like to express myself with my hair, am i gonna have to tame it down? :unsure:

What kind of careers and experiences do you sista's have :pop:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://members.fotki.com/Asabi22/about/

caramelaggie
01-29-2008, 11:26 AM
When I joined the company that I work for (which is southern and ultra conservative), I was perming my hair. While with the company I decided it was time to natural and one day I came in with my hair all cut off. Sure they were in shock but they got used to it. 2 promotions later I am still with this company and I am just got promoted this month. I have been with this company since 2002.

I really do think that we as a people have more of a problem with our hair then people of other races do. I think that people of other races sometimes don’t understand our hair but I don’t think that they think nappy is bad or unprofessional. I am in marketing and I meet with huge companies and create deals with them all the time. I never feel like my hair is unprofessional. It just is………………†…………………

shaylaporter
01-29-2008, 11:48 AM
I just started a new job this year and I had the same question and concern but employers do not care how your hair is fixed they care more about your professionalism

LadyBug13
01-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Does anyone think being nappy decreases their chances in the work place, or in any other areana in social mobility i.e finding a man, being excepted by family etc?
[/b]

Only if one believes it will.

BlackPearls
01-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't think having natural hair is a hindrance or source of set back in any of the situations you described. Firstly, if one will be judged in the workplace because of their appearance (even though professional) as oppose to effectiveness and productivity then that surely is not a place I want to work anyway. The same concept goes for relationships and friendships.

To answer your question, I had natural hair prior to obtaining my current job. There are very few women in my organisation to begin with and 3 out of the 4 have natural hair :)

To date I have never been made to feel that my hair was deemed unprofessional or unattractive in the workplace.

Don't worry, take one day at a time and genuine people will not be concerned about your hair hun.

JustAnotherNappyGirl
01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Convo with a friend (who's a hidden nappy) about my career prospects resulted in her saying many people with nappy hair usually do it when they have become successful or when they decide to do a job which allows them to express themselves i.e be a poet or writer or muscian ect.

Does anyone think being nappy decreases their chances in the work place, or in any other areana in social mobility i.e finding a man, being excepted by family etc? (my daddy loves my hair ^_^ ) Have things been going too well for me maybe because i havn't had a real job yet?

I'm a student in my final year and really would like to know whether i should be worried, because i like to express myself with my hair, am i gonna have to tame it down? :unsure:

What kind of careers and experiences do you sista's have :pop: [/b]

You have really asked two different questions:

Does anyone think being nappy decreases their chances in the work place...?

Don't believe the hype...I work in corporate America and my hair has never been an issue...I've had successful nappy interviews, been hired, been promoted, and I am now a Director. I don't work in an artistic field either - I just don't think nappy hair has to be a big problem in the workplace.

As for your second question:

am i gonna have to tame it down?

The answer is "maybe". But "tame it down" does not mean getting a re.laxer or straightening your hair. You might have to choose more conservative styles depending on the field you go into and the company you work for. But that's true for everyone, nappy or straight-haired. Some fields are very stuffy and conservative and they have a very rigid corporate uniform. But even in companies like this, there is always a way to wear your natural hair - you never have to perm to succeed on the job.

If you are a black female, that's plenty to overcome right there...your hair will not be a big deal. :)

naturallykristin
01-29-2008, 12:58 PM
I am a receptionist and I went nappy 6 months after getting my job. I don't think it has affected my job at all.

Edit: I'm a 19 year old college student so this isn't my career. My major is social work so that's what I'm going into.

creativity
01-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Don't even put it in your head that being natural/nappy will be a problem. Its not at all.
I have had interviews with my hair as a baldy, wild twistout, twists and puff . My hair may have gotten looks but my resume and knowledge was the main concern.

NewYorkSHELL
01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
I really do think that we as a people have more of a problem with our hair then people of other races do. I think that people of other races sometimes don’t understand our hair but I don’t think that they think nappy is bad or unprofessional.[/b]

ITA!

i bc'ed in september. december i started my new job as a "clerical tech" at a university. i went to the interview with my twa & still got the job. now i'm rockin' a nappy weave... was scared to death to go to work with it but have recieved nothing but compliments.

runrunrunner
01-29-2008, 01:48 PM
i was actually just offered an associate/assistant teacher job (for a childcare center, in the toddler room)
that i interviewed for this past wednesday and did an in-class trial session for yesterday.

(they literally just called 2 hours ago saying they're interested in having me.)

i'm currently wearing twists in my hair
that i've had in for 2 weeks (tomorrow will mark 2 weeks)

hair was definitely not an issue for me.
been natural for over 2 years now.

ha i'm so excited!!!

GalaxyGirl2012
01-29-2008, 02:44 PM
project manager/localization engineer (my present job) i was nappy well before getting here

reporter at for a publishing company : nappy

assistant director at a international studies program for a college : nappy

marketing assistant at a branding agency(same place as below) : nappy

after grad school i worked as a receptionist at several places (as a temp) : one was in a financial department, another was front desk of a branding company (who were notorious for only putting people in front of clients who looked hot, so i took the compliment when they always wanted me to be the front receptionist and not the otherr plain jane becky receptionist)

grad student/ teaching first year's french class : partially nappy

never been a problem for me and i usually end up working for some of the whitest white people who've never spoken to a black person so i end up being the negro tour guide of the office. but then again this isnt surprising since in my experience it's usually black folk who have trouble with the naps

Perkisha
01-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Im a Social Worker and I personally think that people in this field tend to be more liberal about that sort of thing anyway (but people are people and some may feel some type way but chose not to comment). It most certainly would not hold you back in the field of helping professions, which are supposed to be about acceptance and what not. My coworkers were used to me changing my hair all the time as a permie, so although I was worried about it, it wasnt really a big deal when I went to a twa.

I know several other nappies in fields other than mine (business, technology, sciences, etc) and thier hair seems to be far from holding them back. In fact, with the people Im thinking of in particular they seem to be almost more respected in thier fields. I think (as in the case of the nappies Im thinking of) its all about teh confidence and style with which you wear your hair that could cause it to be a workplace issues. But Ive heard alot of stories on here with folks talking about interactions with more "old school" way of thinking, but it seems to be more of an annoyance more than a hinderance. But sometimes as people of color discrimination in the workplace is something we have to deal with, p.ermed or not.

NappyHaitian328
01-29-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't think it makes a difference. I got hired last week in the compliance dept of a major bank! YAY ME!!! i rocked my big afro puff called "pro puff" in my fotki napptural album :) and i colored my hair the red color u see in my avatar two days later ;) and i planned to get it loc'd tomorrow however i am not starting the job for another 2 weeks so i have decided to get my first twists the day before i start. that way they are very neat (for a while). my loctician actually was more concerned about my new hairstyle than i am. she said "are u sure it will be ok with your new job?" and i said if they want to fire me for loc'ing my hair and they hired me with a 1979 puff then something is wrong with them! lol!!! my last job was at a bank in upstate ny where i was one of 2 sistas with natural hair and we wore scarves when we were having bad hair days! lol! i got hired on at that job with a fade so u know its not about the hair! wear your hair proud girl! its what u know that gets the job!!!

fatalstar
01-30-2008, 12:02 PM
I work for the government in the field of health care, and I must say I have definitely gotten some looks, but no I don't think it will affect me getting promotions, etc. People are more concerned with if you can do your job well. That being said, I do have to agree with the comment to "tame down" the styles that you might wear. But that's the same if you're a permie or natural. I used to rock my 'fro out when it was smaller, but now that it's about 12 inches long, I usually wear it in a puff, two strand twists, in a bun, or other conservative styles......at least when I'm at work :D

Fuesha
01-31-2008, 08:54 AM

[/b]

Not to put anyone down but this is bull. It an excuse people make about being scared to wear there hair naturally.

Anyway to answer your question i work at the headquarters of one of the top banks in the U.S. in the information technology field so needless to say this isnt one of those so called jobs or fields where you can "express yourself". I was nappy while interviewing and made it a point to be (i made sure not to wear my hair in any protective styles such as braids or sew-ins) because i wanted them to know that what they saw was what they was gonna get (so to speak :lol:)

When i first tried to go natural i was in the same place it seems you are in now. I was getting ready to graduate from undergrad and I had my Mom telling me "you cant go into interviews with your head looking any kinda of way and blah blah" I wasnt mentally ready for the journey so i went back to the crack.

However the second go round I was in the same place again and this time at an even higher level-interviewing while in grad school. But this time not only was I ready, but I had been nappy for a few months, and didnt care what anyone had to say. Also i dont agree with wearing wigs/weaves during interviews cause you think it will better your chances because eventually that stuff has to come out/off then what? (and no im not knocking anyone that does this its just my 2 cents ;) And i didnt, dont want to work for a company that has an issue with my hair................................ So what was the outsome?

I got second interviews with every company i interviewed with except 2 and recieved a couple of offers.

I said all this to say that you should do you. Learn the company you are applying to's corporate culture and see how they dress. For ex. i knew my company was diverse but i was very surprised and happy to see a lot of nappy heads around (locs,twists, fros, etc) from both men and women for such a large and corporate company.Use your own judgement when it come to work and your choosen hair style. As long as your neat and professional you will be fine.

eta:correct spelling

tlwnurse
01-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Had an interesting situation it applies to this thread so I wanted to share with you. I have been transitioning for the past year and made the BC over the weekend. The stylist then flat twisted in the front and two strand twisted it. Though I have been at work all week, this was the first day that I saw my boss. She saw it and was like "Oh, your hair is so cute." So I agree I don't think employers (especially those that are from a different ethnic background) know or even care how we do our hair. They are more concerned about does this person have a professional demeanor, do they have good work ethics and do they get the job done.

On the flip side I grew up in a family that believed the myth that natural hair has an impact on on your job opportunities. And in the past this may have been true. But I think it 2008, the job market and people's belief systems have changed.
HTH

tlwnurse
01-31-2008, 09:55 AM
I had my Mom telling me "you cant go into interviews with your head looking any kinda of way and blah blah"

Pink Ice-I think your Mom and my mom went to school together! LOL

JeanBean
01-31-2008, 10:24 PM
I work in Market Research, and I became natural after I started working there. Its a pretty chill-axed atmosphere, so it wasnt that big of a deal.

Fuesha
02-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I had my Mom telling me "you cant go into interviews with your head looking any kinda of way and blah blah"

Pink Ice-I think your Mom and my mom went to school together! LOL
[/b]

:lol: yeah. And my mom is natural, sort of. She gets herhair flat ironed. It wont napp up to get into pretty fro's and things like ours so i guess i can say that for her. Yeah my mom is from the old school where nappy aint right to them.

Disclamier: No disrespect to the old school, old school. :)

LBellatrix
02-15-2008, 12:53 PM
When I did the BC in 1995 I was a manager in an IT consulting firm. I left the client site that Wednesday (pre-Thanksgiving weekend), did the BC on Friday, and came back to work on Monday. People either complimented me or had the decency to keep their mouths shut and seriously...that's about all you can ask for.

In my years in corporate America I wore just about every natural style imaginable, including locs, and NEVER HAD A PROBLEM of any magnitude. (The one boss I had who was black didn't care how I wore my hair. The black women cutting me looks were probably talking about me behind my back, but they never dared say anything to my face.)

I had locs when I decided to go back to school in 2005. I did another BC last summer. Now I work in academia and nobody bats an eye.

There's a chance I will go back to a non-academic job later this year and honestly, I've been natural for so long that my hair really is a non-issue at this point. I have a hard time believing that anybody wouldn't hire me solely because of my hair. Of course, if I lose my mind and apply to a black-owned corporate firm, I could see there being a problem. :rolleyes:

NO MATTER WHAT ANYBODY OUTSIDE TELLS YOU...this thread is the reality. "Neat and professional" does not have to automatically equal "non-nappy."

~*welekevu*~
03-01-2008, 09:56 AM
I bc'ed in 2002 when I was 18. Since then I have had 4 jobs, the first 2 as a CNA, the last 2 as an RN. The first one I was covered, wearing traditional Islamic hijab. Got the job. :D The 2nd one I wore a low puff. Got the job. :D The 3rd I wore a high puff. Got the job. :D The last/present I wore a BAA. Got the job. :D Oh, and by the way, these were the only positions I interviewed for. I don't concern myself with it. If an employer is going to think any less of me or negatively of me because I wear my hair the way GOD intended for it to be, covered or not, then I wouldn't want to work for that company anyways. ;)

:) wele

taylord6
03-01-2008, 10:08 PM
I am a Registered Nurse and my Sisterlocks came after my career. My co-workers actually all comment that they wish that their hair can look like mine! Even my patients typically compliment my hair. My transition into sisterlocs was well received by everyone including family and friends and men that I have dated.
-DJT

HuGrad2002
03-06-2008, 10:18 PM
I work for Verizon Wireless and I was natural before I started working there. Thankfully, there are a lot of naturals/ dreads so it was never an issue

jazzy-z
03-12-2008, 10:36 AM

[/b]
Honestly i didn't really think it was a problem until my career development teacher told me that i "needed to do something wit my hair" if i want to get a job...Saying that my hair was "UNPROFESSIONAL" So after that conversation I actionaly went around to different businesses managers asking about my hair..Honestly, most said that it was fine and they wouldn't not hire me if my hair was for instance in a Afro or twist etc. I guess some are still loving being in ignorant bliss and others just get it..

racole
03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
I totally agree with you all. I received three job offers with my hair in braids when I was transitioning and I lived in conservative Arkansas. I work as a marketing research analyst. I had braids when I interviewed with the company that work in now. I then did the big chop a month after I started working there. I was really nervous when I went to work because I was taught that you should not were natural hair with a professional job. It is not even an issue at all. I even have more confidence with my hair being natural which gives me better results with my work.

Honeyblessing
04-17-2008, 03:32 PM
the funny thing about this is...i work at a bank...now when I went in for the interview it was for a managerial position and I knew the people who would be interviewing me so rather than take a chance I just just rollerset my hair the night before...now once I got the job, I showed up the first day with two strand twists. The black people who were in my internview laughed and said I "played" the game and that my white manager (who is over the entire dept) would be upset...but oh well, I already had the job!!! Needless to say, my black co-workers were right, but she got over it!

Mera
05-02-2008, 12:01 AM
So your hair style really does matter? I'm a college student and I'm really concerned about what I'll do with my natural hair as I search for internships and eventually a job....Comments...suggestions??

KnottyAuthor
05-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I was in transition within my industry..got away with twistouts for 2 years bf the bc..then wore pieces,then wore it out, then locked it down...for 2 years now. i'm still in the industry.

I truely feel that natural hair isnt what holds people back, it's the mental confidence to stand and know that you are representing your most beautiful self. Now, with a perm, after years of nappiness, i would feel very inhibited...my mental has grown beyond the capacity that my skull can contain, well almost. :P

Im in conservative pharmaceuticals
i have been a trainer as well in the field ...with locks

ya~akua
06-03-2008, 03:47 AM
when i bc'd i was in undergrad...im a school psychologist now and my hair has never stopped me from getting jobs...

Poetic_Butterfly
06-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I am a teacher, scholar, poet, researcher! :D I BC in undergrad and never looked back after that day when I became a warrior queen! My nappiness has been with me through undergrad, graduate school, job interviews, and working in mainstream society. I think that employers just care that you look professional and you have the credentials and references needed for the job.

Bless,
Rasta

nappyeditor
06-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I've had a million jobs and this is the first one where I've been natural. I was technically natural at my last job (career counselor) but didn't wear it out. My co-workers begged me to. Now I wear 2-strand twists and puffs mainly to work (as a reporter). I think my BAA would be unprofessional so I don't wear it, but that's about it.

knwill
06-18-2008, 06:03 PM
I just interviewed and was hired for a job at a Non-Profit for Public Policy Analysis and Management. I interviewed with a TWA and got the job. This however is not the only time I applied and received a job with natural hair. :)

The devil is a liar! Fear is the devil's domain and he wants us to be afraid so that we never do what is right for us. Have no fear. :)

SeethroughU
09-03-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm a doc . Interviewed with it. No probs. It's really inside of us. I try to wear my hair out as much as possible to set an example that..it's not the hair. It's what's in the noggin.

CinnamonBiscuit
09-03-2010, 01:35 AM
My first job I got when I was transitioning and my hair was a mess. My second job, I was in full 'fro.

Whenever I apply for a job, I go in with my hair fully visible. That way, they know what to expect.

When I get my next job, I'll also let them know that when the weather gets cold I will be wearing headwraps.

Something like this, but in solid colors:

http://images39.fotki.com/v1230/photos/4/463292/6435575/IMG_3238-vi.jpg

It's totally acceptible for work.

JustAnotherNappyGirl
09-03-2010, 03:24 AM
I posted in this thread two years ago and nothing has changed...I interviewed for my current job wearing a high puff and was hired the same day. From day to day I wear everything from twists, to puffs, up-dos, twistouts, my full BAA, and every possible combination. It's not an issue.

KellyVonn
09-03-2010, 06:22 AM
I never had a problem either. I'm in the medical field and always got the job I wanted. :)

missgee
09-03-2010, 01:30 PM
If you walk into an interview with confidence, that will show. If you're self-conscious about your hair thinking they won't like it, that will show.

In the end, we have the power to define what type of nappy styles are professional or unprofessional. If we make the collective decision that a BAA is unprofessional then more than likely, most people will.

To be honest, if I started a marketing business tomorrow and a black woman walked with with a groomed (meaning something clean...not something with corn chips and dust balls all in it) BAA in a business suit, I would not think she looked unprofessional. The only reason why many think it's unprofessional was because someone taught them that. And what was the mindset of those who taught us? Was it a sound one?

The more we hide or "tame" or hair, the more other women of our hair types, along with those in charge of hiring, will feel that it needs to be done. The more of us who proudly wear it, the more others may proudly wear their's, and the more it will be accepted.

It's time for us to our blueprints.

missgee
09-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I would even consider a clean, "misshapen" twa a professional hair style, when many others would probably recommend them to put a wig over it. Some just see our natural hair as they would a multi-colored mohawk. Lets help change the definition of what's professional and what's not.

twix36
09-03-2010, 02:21 PM
My first job I got when I was transitioning and my hair was a mess. My second job, I was in full 'fro.

Whenever I apply for a job, I go in with my hair fully visible. That way, they know what to expect.

When I get my next job, I'll also let them know that when the weather gets cold I will be wearing headwraps.

Something like this, but in solid colors:

http://images39.fotki.com/v1230/photos/4/463292/6435575/IMG_3238-vi.jpg

It's totally acceptible for work.

Just had to say, if this is you Xotica, you are too cute!

CinnamonBiscuit
09-05-2010, 03:58 AM
@ twix36: Nope, that's not me. I just thought her headwrap was cute. :)

NappyShrink
09-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm a doc, well a shrink. I was napptural before I started, and I will stay napptural. Sometimes I braid out, twist out, wear a puff, but it's all mine and chemical free. Never had a problem from patients or anyone else.

Savvyone
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I big chopped in 2002 when I was an admin for execs at a Consulting firm, ultra conservative but my TWA fit right in! In fact I got more positive comments from the white folk than the black folk:D I'm now on the client site at a gov't agency and some of these folks have tats from hither and yon that they don't even bother to camouflage, not even on a low cut top with breatisis hanging out so my now much longer naps don't cause an eyelash to bat in this environment either....:-))

Mirah Nirvana
09-13-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm an Accountant, I came into this career nappy. :D

NaturalSassE
09-15-2010, 07:21 AM
...I am a nurse and was nappy after the fact...
I went to fill out a job application and didn't get the job..
I dk why didn't call for follow ups r anything bc at the time I was twisted my hair styles change daily...y? I bore ez and I itch more so take me as I am I am a darn gd nurse and my patients and their family love me 4 me not my hair but they all love my hair 2

canarsiechik88
09-15-2010, 03:40 PM
check it out and pass it to your friend

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thefocalspot/2010/08/19/professional-naturals

miscallaneouslyfe
09-26-2010, 01:54 AM
I became natural while working my current job...which is television news

starlightbeauty
09-26-2010, 02:45 AM
I just became natural (Im in my final year of college). I'll be out looking for jobs soon. I honestly couldn't care less about how it's gonna affect what kinds of jobs I get or how people perceive me. It's just hair. And as long as I'm maintaining it and being well groomed, people should care what my hair looks like or that its natural.

:D

Princess Pamplemousse
09-26-2010, 06:39 AM
I will never really *understand* this question. It's just so ludicrous to me. If nappy hair bars black women from making it in the world I ought not have made it out of pre-school. I won't say that my fro's never gotten me a double take in the street but honestly, in 20 years of living...it's never held me back. No, I'm not working in the corporate world but I have interviewed for predom white high schools and colleges, interned for senators, the vp, and law firms etc. Nobody's ever said anything about my hair (well sometimes my classmates nudge my fro out of the way of the chalkboard ;) ). I think this is an issue of black people projecting their insecurities onto whites. White folk don't care what kinda hair a black person has! A colored is a colored as far as most are concerned :-))

Sinamin2
09-29-2010, 09:27 PM
check it out and pass it to your friend

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thefocalspot/2010/08/19/professional-naturals

You go girl... I listened to your radio talk show about natural hair. I have to say I wish more people would talk about it. because there is a stigma with black natural hair, ESPECIALLY if it is not long or if you are going through some kind of some kind of hair issues. Other ethnics can have hair as short as Holle Berry, speaking of her, that is a perfect example. Because she is mixed everyone thought her hair was beautiful. BUT think about this.. WHAT IF SHE WASN'T and she was sporting a kinky little twa. Cause remember EVERYONE Was trying to get the Hoally Berry hair style back then, I don't see other stars or just people in gereral running out trying to get the twa, I'm just saying. Transistining wouldn't be such a big issue when it comes to BCing. Lots of things get in our way, like it weren't for Husbanda who dont want to see there wifes "looking like a boy" Come on some of us even think we look like a boy if we get it to short. No one said that about Hoally (however its spelled) Berry. When most of us transistion we turn to wigs or weaves or bradies, ect... It's becaues our sociotiy has tought us that short hair on black wemon is not attractive, However thanks to this site and others like this and the fact that we are just tired of giving our money to have something done to our hair that we simply don't need. No matter what anyone says..and it's past time.

Sohful1
10-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I work as a Contractor with the Air Force. I went in with about 6in of natural hair, then I cut it to a ceasar and now I'm locing. I've had no issues :)

Mindfulone31
10-07-2010, 04:05 AM
I have to admit I was concerned about whether or not natural hair would be an issue when trying to find a job. I am in school now trying to change up my career and I will eventually either become an RN or get into physical therapy (i'm still on the fence lol). But I have come to realize that I DON'T CARE! It should be about skill not hair when it comes to finding a job. The thing I find funny at present is that right now I'm transitioning and have been wearing a braidout for the past 2 weeks and I get more compliments on my hair now than I think I ever have LOL! :)

canarsiechik88
10-08-2010, 03:38 PM
You go girl... I listened to your radio talk show about natural hair. I have to say I wish more people would talk about it. because there is a stigma with black natural hair, ESPECIALLY if it is not long or if you are going through some kind of some kind of hair issues. Other ethnics can have hair as short as Holle Berry, speaking of her, that is a perfect example. Because she is mixed everyone thought her hair was beautiful. BUT think about this.. WHAT IF SHE WASN'T and she was sporting a kinky little twa. Cause remember EVERYONE Was trying to get the Hally Berry hair style back then, I don't see other stars or just people in gereral running out trying to get the twa, I'm just saying. Transistining wouldn't be such a big issue when it comes to BCing. Lots of things get in our way, like it weren't for Husbanda who dont want to see there wifes "looking like a boy" Come on some of us even think we look like a boy if we get it to short. No one said that about Hoally (however its spelled) Berry. When most of us transistion we turn to wigs or weaves or bradies, ect... It's becaues our sociotiy has tought us that short hair on black wemon is not attractive, However thanks to this site and others like this and the fact that we are just tired of giving our money to have something done to our hair that we simply don't need. No matter what anyone says..and it's past time.
preach it mama :) and thanks for the congrats

EvesDilemma
10-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Student affairs in higher education. Big chopped during grad school before my first officially professional position. Hasn't been a hindrance.

Samiah
10-14-2010, 04:30 AM
I just got a job working at American Eagle Outfitters (clothing store), I think my natural hair really gave me that extra push to getting hired. :) And now I got another call for a job interview for this store called "American Girl" so guess I'll see how that goes :p

ChitownCPACFE
10-24-2010, 02:29 AM
The TEXTURE of your hair is not the issue. It's whether the look is professional. There are many straight styles that can be considered unprofessional. I work for a conservative company and in a conservative field and my look has always been professional so I haven't had any problems. When I started my career, my hair was straight. I transitioned for 2 years and I've been wearing my hair naturally now for a little over 2 years. During this time, I have been promoted and my career continues to progress. I'm a manger in my field, a Licensed Certified Public Accountant and a Certified Fraud Examiner. I have no concerns about my hair creating any problems with me advancing in my career.

Ms-gg
10-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks you guys! You all are the best :)

Sometimes we lose sight that our natural hair is okay. I did for a second after visiting another site and they were talking about wearing buns all day and ponytails and I'm like huh? Is it really like that out there, I could have sworn my NP sistas said it was okay....lol

Mojito Chica
10-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Corporate lackey before and after.

Butterflylocs
10-25-2010, 02:05 AM
Appellate Attorney before and during. Interviewed for my new position as a Capital trials attorney with locks that were way past needing a retwist. No one cares as long as you keep it professional and do your job.

My co-workers actually think my hair is great and get defensive when we go into small towns and I get the eye from local folks. Its kinda cute to see them do it.

Nubia25
10-28-2010, 04:44 AM
I have been a Program Coordinator in Student Affairs at a University for 3 years. I had straight, relaxed hair when I got hired. I transitioned for almost 8 months and just bc'd in September. I mostly work with white co-workers and most of them didn't even notice that I changed my hair and the ones who did complimented me on it. My hair has not been a problem at all.

blackpanthershay13
11-01-2010, 12:02 AM
The TEXTURE of your hair is not the issue. It's whether the look is professional. There are many straight styles that can be considered unprofessional. I work for a conservative company and in a conservative field and my look has always been professional so I haven't had any problems. When I started my career, my hair was straight. I transitioned for 2 years and I've been wearing my hair naturally now for a little over 2 years. During this time, I have been promoted and my career continues to progress. I'm a manger in my field, a Licensed Certified Public Accountant and a Certified Fraud Examiner. I have no concerns about my hair creating any problems with me advancing in my career.

Well said ChitownCPA

yaynita
12-11-2010, 04:02 AM
No issues here. In fact, this hair just got me a promotion.

blackpanthershay13
12-11-2010, 06:01 PM

I agree
It's all about looking professionional

mera223
12-11-2010, 06:27 PM
I joined the miliary in 2003 and bc'd in Feb 2009. It has been challening but thats only becuase it's the military and things have to be so conservative. Everyone I work with love my natural hair and their all white (I'm in the Coast Guard). People at my job compliment my hair all the time I just have to be wise with my style choices to make sure I stay within the uniform regs. Honestly I don't think there is any job that you can't do with natural hair and if there is then I don't think you would want to be there anyway. Now as far as expressing yourself goes depending on the job your doing, like myself you may need to choose the styles that fit the workplace and save your self expression for your off time.:)

delicaterose617
12-13-2010, 09:38 AM
agree with alot of the women here.

I am a registered nurse, when I interviewed for the job in 06 (CNA) I wore cornrows with twisted ends, spent a good portion of the time, natural, cut my hair to a rihanna-ish style then shaved it all off to go natural again and now locked.

My co workers have complimented me many times on my hair style. I was nervous at first about the locs but they have time and time again stated, they look good.
True story: I got nominated for having the most hair styles lol. but all aside, it just really depend on the employer and the location. Some are use to seeing the well versitile side of the nappy hair and others are not but if you come int here just looking unkept then that more so might be a problem vs the person with natural hair who comes in is on point during the interview and looks professional.

Locks$Naps26!
12-21-2010, 02:23 AM
I got two compliments at work today and one of them was from a white girl who had dreadlocks, but they told her she couldn't have them. My boss loves my hair though I'm not changing my hair I'm like kyle barker on living single.

Sinamin2
01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
I am a goverment worker, when I got the job I had a short wig on, But I live in LAS Vegas and I had to stop wearing them b/cos of the weather. HOT! So now it's just me and my Napptural hair. I have BCed several times, all the way down to almost nothing. :-) I like it that way. In fact although I said I would let it grow this year, I am thinking hard about BCing again, just one last time :-)
I have about 5" hair locing. No one ever gives me a compliment, but they don't say I can't have them or anythign. And to me nothing means it's ok. I really don't think they care like we think they do about our hair. I simply wear very nice professtional clothes, and I keep it together, so far so good. Anyway...I don't think working in the goverment that they are alowed to say anything about my hair. After all it is napptural :-) what can they say ... Hey you straighten that hair of yours? I dont' think so.
So just carry yourself well and dress according to your jobs code and all will be fine. I use to think oh what are they going to think if I go in with my napptural hair, but it was all for nothing. No one cares about my hair. :-) go figure. :-) So my advice would be to wear your napps proudly, it's ok.

If you want to see my hair journey, I think you will have to cut and past my sig in the address bar. Not sure why you just can't click on it, like some of the other post. Anyway happy nappy growing..

youwillrise
06-18-2011, 04:31 PM
i'm a preschool teacher and i also used to work at a very liberal private school. ive been natural since before i started doing this work. no issues ever. : )

KnottyAuthor
06-18-2011, 06:38 PM
I've gotten 4-5 jobs interviewing with nappy hair. One time I was transitioning, so I did a twist out. When I BC, I wore falls and half wigs and pieces for ponies until I got comfy with my hair. Then, I wore 2 strands all the time and styled them in buns, updos curls etc. Then I installed 400 braids and locked my hair. All while in jobs, leaving jobs, getting jobs. So I stand by my signature and refute the naysayers. Nappy is a mindset first. Get it right and the rest will follow.
careers with benefits?: Pharmaceutical Rep/Trainer/Manager/Bioclinical Researcher...and whatever else I choose to do with nappy hair. It can be done.

Chocolate CurlyGirl
06-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Educator before and during. If any supervisor had issues with my hair, they kept their thoughts to themselves which is for the best lol. I just got a nose ring this summer so not sure what kind of looks I'll get behind that.

melaniemat
06-18-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm an actress, first, and my hair has not been an issue with that so far. I usually go to auditions with my hair in a style that is suitable for the character. My gig that pays the bills (only temporarily, prayerfully) is as a table games dealer. I deal Blackjack, Roulette, Baccarat and Craps, and my hair is not an issue, as long as I remain a dealer. I think if I chose to go into management, which my supervisors are asking me to do, they will want me to wear my hair in a "tamer" hairstyle.

smiles3x3
07-20-2011, 10:56 PM
I have a job interview on Friday and I am a little nervous about going in there with a twa. I am a professional and its a Masters level position at a hospital. Its in Georgia, in a very small town. Im crossing my fingers, and hoping that because it is short it wont be a big deal. My cousin works in an attorneys office and she is not allowed to wear braids. Some people can handle kinky hair. Any who I am new to this forum so wish me luck.

OHR
07-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Educator before and during. If any supervisor had issues with my hair, they kept their thoughts to themselves which is for the best lol. I just got a nose ring this summer so not sure what kind of looks I'll get behind that.
An old friend had a nose ring. He chose to leave it out when teaching.

LBellatrix
07-20-2011, 11:11 PM
I have a job interview on Friday and I am a little nervous about going in there with a twa. I am a professional and its a Masters level position at a hospital. Its in Georgia, in a very small town. Im crossing my fingers, and hoping that because it is short it wont be a big deal. My cousin works in an attorneys office and she is not allowed to wear braids. Some people can handle kinky hair. Any who I am new to this forum so wish me luck.

A neat TWA works in just about every work environment. You'll be fine. Wear your hair like you mean it!

Good luck...

Mirabai
08-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm still a college kid. I BC'd whilst in college and since I work retail, nobody cared. I went into the interview for my current job with a nice puff and got the job. However, I just started locing and now I'm really nervous about applying for my future big girl jobs. I'm not concerned about 'professional natural hair' but I'm just curious: how do you wear baby locs/teenage locs professionally?

chachadiva
08-08-2011, 03:06 PM
^Mirabi, you can push them back with a headband. If needed, the night before, push them back and put on a stocking cap to lay them down.

It all depends on how conservative the environment.

thePerfectFool
08-09-2011, 04:26 PM
I interviewed to be a resident assistant and an emergency room receptionist with short fuzzy baby locks and was accepted both times. It really depends on your qualifications in most cases.

Chocolate CurlyGirl
08-09-2011, 06:56 PM
An old friend had a nose ring. He chose to leave it out when teaching.

I'm not taking it out to teach. I'm not supposed to take it out for a few months anyway so that it can fully heal. Mine is a small silver stud so it's not a hoop or something extremely noticeable.

CurlyKutie
09-05-2011, 02:47 PM
I had a job interview in July and it's my cureent job I wore a job. I don't think they really cared. There are 2 other naturals there. We don't have no problems at all.

Drumchick34
09-05-2011, 06:41 PM
I have had natural hair since I started interviewing for jobs when I was 16 (I am 22 now) and I have gotten every one of them. I apply for jobs working with low functioning, special needs children so maybe they don't really care about what your hair looks like as long as you are able to handle the challenging behaviors that the children have.

Everyone compliments me on my hair which makes me feel good. :)

MzHoneyLocs
09-29-2011, 04:00 PM
I have shoulder-length locs and successfully interviewed and got my current job. Upper management is always inquiring about my locs...so far nothing rude or out of the way (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't waiting for it), they seem to be genuinely interested.

My job before this one, I had starter locs, and before that one, I had a BAA (they tried to start some noise about that one, but I cut it short when I mentioned that maybe we should ask the corporate office what rules they had against my hair).

ScottieDoesntKnow
11-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I never found it being an issue with my kinky curly hair in the work force. Since I've BC'd, I've worked for a corporate jeweler and now a major cosmetic line, and I've received nothing but positive feedback about my hair. The ironic thing is that when I was permed, I'd rarely got compliments on my hair, no matter how great my hair looked. Now people take notice of me and want to get to know me better as a person. And, to add to this, I was one of the few blacks working for a "white" corporation, and I never felt like I had to lose my integrity by "fitting in" to "their" standards. I think how your hair looks doesn't really matter as long as you as a person keep being your professional and unique self. My clothes and makeup are always polished, but I rock a TWA with pride.

canarsiechik88
11-18-2011, 08:58 AM
I work in the education field predominately a black school, and it's not a major issue. There's alot of women that has natural hair so that's a big help too. It helps encourages the children to take pride in their hair.

Of course I had one opposition from a fellow Haitian, saying "You know that Haitians don't like that" I kindly replied, "well, I'm not the typical Haitian and I have personal reasons why I have locks"

But I ain't stunnin her lol

Sinamin2
01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
I had on a wig when appling. But two years later I came out. Not one person said anything. But sure get lots of looks and still do.

Sinamin2
01-15-2012, 08:06 PM

Most employers rather see us in a nice clean twa, than a long inappropriate looking weave. Believe it or not.
Not saying that all weaves look inappropriate but we all know that some sure do. I'm just saying. :-))

Mojito Chica
01-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Interviewed in November with my visibly nappy hair and just started my new job this month.

KnottyAuthor
02-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Congrats Mojito!!!! Nbox me! Where ya at? Hmmm... :)

mydestiny
02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
I've been natural since 2004. All of the jobs since then knows my hair was natural. Most of the interviews were done with natural hair, if not then I slapped on a wig. My current job I interviewed natural but today I'm wearing my wig lol.. been too lazy this week to really do my hair.

damaria
03-13-2012, 09:57 PM
I have to say I have mixed feelings about this..when I worked for nigerians I got the worst ridicule and requests to"fix" my hair. I had a bullet proof glass ceiling so that did not affect me. Fast forward to my most recent ex employer who had a ghetto *** broad who would always make side eye at my hair and who gushed over my wig and whose scalp I never saw... a white bi*** who every time I had my hair back told me I should "keep it like that" and an african lady who told me she is natural but I never saw her scalp cuz her hair was "not as soft as mine" needless to say that job was chock full of haters...when it comes to my patients (I'm a RN) most that are bothered is old white women who always preferred my hair up...my current job has many nappies and no fly comments made yet.. I jus wish the nappies were more friendly.. I saw the most gorgeous waist length dreads but the way she scowled at me mad e me hesitant to say a thang... soesnt look like. A glass ceiling is here but the higher ups are all white.. at least on my team.. I dunno I'm so tired of having to qorry about that and I just concentrate on shining wth my performance

ByHis Grace
06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Banking 34 years ____worked last 10 years nappy

Nairobi01
10-07-2013, 01:40 AM
I'm doing a survey for my BFA thesis to gather information about people who have had any trouble getting a job with natural hair. I was wondering if it would be ok to post up my survey on here?

LBellatrix
10-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Well, first off, thanks for bumping this five-year-old thread. :)

I saw a YT documentary recently about natural hair that was done this year and the sisters were STILL saying how natural kinky hair is unprofessional. In this thread alone we have five years' worth of women refuting that assumption. As someone posted above, the real problem is that too many black folks are still scared of what white people are going to think, when in reality it's not up to them to decide how professional or unprofessional OUR hair texture is.

Okay, off my soapbox...

Because this thread is old, you'll probably have a better chance of getting responses if you create a new thread. Good luck!

NaturalDiva03
10-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Military 10 years 4 years natural.

Mikalia42
10-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Corporate Receptionist for over six years, December makes five years natural. (:-)