PDA

View Full Version : Armpit Length Hair Challenge

jkamiel
02-03-2008, 02:40 PM
So, after seein the BSL Challenge starin at me in the face for so long and knowing that's gonna take a good minute to get to, I wanted to see if anyone wants to go for reaching APL this year with me. There's no rules, just continue with the healthiest regimen that works for you. Here, you can post your starting length/pic, what you're doing to achieve APL, and your target month to achieve it by.

Soooo... who's up for it?!

runrunrunner
02-03-2008, 03:00 PM
i'm in so many APL and BSL challenges on these hair boards lol
might as well join this one, too.

here's where i am
(picture taken january 29, 2008)

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5959/jan292008sx0.jpg

the scarf around me is to mark where my armpit is.

i guess my goal is to be there by the end of march....
but hopefully definitely by the end of may

what i'm doing:

protective styling (twists)
keeping up w/ deep conditionings
moisturizing daily
protein when needed
getting my water drinking up for overall health
multivitamin for overall health

ajargon
02-03-2008, 03:46 PM
well ladies, much luck to you in achieving your goals, but much continued success in finding and keeping kick butt regimine!!!!

~GAN~
02-03-2008, 03:49 PM
:lol: When I first saw this I was like "what in the world??? Grow out arm pit hair?" But then I got it. lol! I wish I could join in on the fun, but I'm not all natural yet. :blush:

Proverbs31Woman
02-03-2008, 05:10 PM
:lol: When I first saw this I was like "what in the world??? Grow out arm pit hair?" But then I got it. lol! I wish I could join in on the fun, but I'm not all natural yet. :blush:
[/b]

:lol:

Count me in!!! I'm really close, and I think I could be there in the next 4 months.

jkamiel
02-03-2008, 06:02 PM
--- and i'm crackin up at that too! thatd be a REAL challenge (and maybe a socially UNacceptable one, to state the obvious..)

I'm not postin pics or a length measurement cuz that makes me obsess too much about how long my hair is right now... i'll take pics in 2 months and see where I'm at

For now, I will continue to protect my ends by baggying, never wash my hair loose (and thereby reduce/eliminate knots), stop combing my hair, and only wear my hair out for a couple days at a time (and ONLY when stretched)

c13gladden
02-03-2008, 06:06 PM
[/b]

me 2 :lol: :lol:
sometimes i feel like such a rookie!

Napia Mia
02-03-2008, 06:44 PM
[/b]
Man...the title of this thread got me too. For a flash, I had a vision of really long armpit hair. :lol: But then it clicked and I thought "Well it's about time." :P

Good luck ladies!

braincoral
02-03-2008, 07:00 PM
anyone ever thought this? To a stranger this looks as if we are trying to grow the hair in our armpits to a certain length! :lol:

edited for being late, someone else already said this! (I'm really bored)

~GAN~
02-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Ok Im glad I'm not the only one! lol!

Ms-gg
02-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Awww Nappyme your neice is becoming a young woman :wub:
look at her...time to get your pistol ready now for those fresh little boys :lol:

Im in...despite my breakage issues Im having right now (I dont know what the flip is going on) I think I should be at armpit length at some point this year Lord's willing if the cold weather doesnt take my hair out first....

Napia Mia
02-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Awww Nappyme your neice is becoming a young woman :wub:
look at her...time to get your pistol ready now for those fresh little boys :lol:[/b]

GG thanks...she is at that. But we've had that pistol out and cocked for about three years now. When she was 10 she looked like a middle schooler and the HIGH SCHOOL boys were lapping at here heels then. Some 16-year-old boy told her he liked her booty and I thought I was gonna have to mess him up on the spot! As you can see having nappy hair ain't hardly slowin' her roll (and she ain't even got no business havin' a roll yet!)

Im in...despite my breakage issues Im having right now (I dont know what the flip is going on) I think I should be at armpit length at some point this year Lord's willing if the cold weather doesnt take my hair out first....[/b]
Yes...this winter has been hellacious on some nappy hair. I don't think I've had any breakage but trying to keep it moisturized has been such a horrible challenge. Hang in there!

happy_nappy
02-03-2008, 07:29 PM
[/b]

:lol: When I first read the topic I was thinking the same thing

Cocoakeke
02-03-2008, 07:30 PM
So, after seein the BSL Challenge starin at me in the face for so long and knowing that's gonna take a good minute to get to, I wanted to see if anyone wants to go for reaching APL this year with me. There's no rules, just continue with the healthiest regimen that works for you. Here, you can post your starting length/pic, what you're doing to achieve APL, and your target month to achieve it by.

Soooo... who's up for it?!
[/b]

I think this is an awesome challenge. I am currently at arm pit length for my hair at the edges (temples and nape of neck). I believe I'll join the challenge and work on getting the hair in the top of my head there.

etifaim
02-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I'll join the challenge! :D

I'm already in the Crown and Glory 08 challenge, so my hair is twisted up right now.

Right now my hair is about 8 inches, maybe 9 since I last measured.

It will be a process, and I hope to accomplish it by March 2009!

Right now I'm

*pre-pooing with oils
*washing with Oyin's Poo bar or Dr. Bronners Castile Soap weekly (with the occasional baking soda clarifying wash if needed)
*deep conditioning every week
*protein treatment every 4-6 weeks
*wearing my hair in protective styles: twists, braids, buns.
*baggying 2 or 3 times a week
*moisturzing my hair often and keeping my ends moisturized
*trimming every 3 months

mwedzi
02-04-2008, 07:33 AM
I think this is an awesome challenge. I am currently at arm pit length for my hair at the edges (temples and nape of neck). I believe I'll join the challenge and work on getting the hair in the top of my head there.
[/b]

Me, too. I think I'm really close at the nape. lemme check . . . yep, really close. But I want to get there in the crown, so I'll go for that.

soft_napps
02-04-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm joining..although my goal may be reached closer to the end of the year..Hopefully :)

jkamiel
02-04-2008, 02:18 PM
bump. any other takers???

prttygrl21
02-04-2008, 03:22 PM
me 2 :lol: :lol:
sometimes i feel like such a rookie!
[/b]

I thought that too...especially since it was right below a thread about gloriousmandestroya on youtube who has several videos about growing her body hair and praising her arm pit hair :lol: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sick007.gif.

BrnNappyGrl
02-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Awww what the heck! I'm in just about every other challenge, so I might as well join this one as well.

I'll join. I think most of my hair is about 7-8", but I'm trying not to measure again until my 1st nappiversary in May. I'm hoping for APL by December though.

Only1biancab
02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
here's where i am
(picture taken january 29, 2008)
[/b]
runrunrunner you're tootooclose.

I'm in! I was saying March, but now I'm saying September. It's just that some parts of my hair are APL already and some are not. It's going to take a long time till all of it reaches that length. So I'm in for the long-haul ladies. Let's get 'er done!
:P

Routine:
baggy every night
moisturize/seal every day
scalp massage every day
cowash once a week
deep condition once a week

I need to add a few things (gotta take care of the inside too) but those are the only things I've been doing consistently for the last month.

edit: Ah edit the damn, edit the damn! I need to read before I post.

runrunrunner
02-04-2008, 08:01 PM
runrunrunner you're tootooclose.

I'm in! I was saying March, but now I'm saying September. It's just that some parts of my hair are APL already and some are not. It's going to take a long time till all of it reaches that length. So I'm in for the long-haul ladies. Let's get 'er done!
:P

Routine:
baggy every night
moisturize/seal every day
scalp massage every day
cowash once a week
deep condition once a week

I need to add a few things (gotta take care of the inside too) but those are the only things I've been doing consistently for the last month.

edit: Ah edit the damn, edit the damn! I need to read before I post.
[/b]

i wish i were closer in other sections of my hair
but whatever...my hair will never be even lol

so...i'll take APL in the lower section of my hair
and just wait until it comes for the others.

JeanBean
02-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I thought this was a challenge to see how long you can get your armpit hair! LOL. Im stupid.

mwedzi
02-05-2008, 05:05 AM
^^^lots of people did. I think because the OP says "armpit hair length" instead of the more often used "armpit length hair" :lol:

Chocolatedancer
02-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Maybe it's too early in the morning, but I gor scared when I saw this discussion. I thought it was about armpit hair :blush:
I would like to join this challenge, but my hair is not even past my shoulders when straightened.......

carrolina
02-05-2008, 05:29 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ya'll already know why i'm in here........

i was like, "hmm, i don't think i wanna know how long my armpit hair can get. now this should be interesting..." :pop:

Jazitones
02-05-2008, 05:30 AM
[/b]

Me and you both, my reading comprehension was way off.. :lol: :lol:

Lady-N-Black
02-05-2008, 05:40 AM
man <_< I thought we were talking about actually armpit hair. I was was gonna get excited. Oh well. :(

jkamiel
02-05-2008, 06:33 AM
^^^lots of people did. I think because the OP says "armpit hair length" instead of the more often used "armpit length hair" :lol:
[/b]

y&#39;all know i was jus tryna make it look interesting! syke naw.. i definitely didnt notice i did that! but if anyone wants to go for that challenge, go ahead! dont think the troops will be fallin behind ya on that one though :P

and in an addendum to my other messages, i&#39;m shootin for APL by July wahooo!

mrsnielsen
02-05-2008, 10:50 PM
I&#39;m in! I&#39;ve been protective styling like a mad woman and I think it&#39;s paying off. My hair grows in layers, so that&#39;s a tad frustrating. But I just checked and my hair is officially the longest it&#39;s ever been, and my nape is almost APL! It&#39;s going to take forever for the rest to catch up, but I&#39;m in it for the long haul

I&#39;m going to stick with my current regimen, at it&#39;s the first one I&#39;ve been able to stick to.
Shampoo and deep condition once a week
Braid/twist for 2-3 weeks at a time
Moisturize and seal every other day

qt4u2luv
02-06-2008, 01:20 PM
I&#39;m in! i love a new challenge! my hair is anywhere from 5 to 7 inches all around my head (5 in front, 7 at the nape) so my goal is to have apl by the end of the year. my hair always thrived from co-washing every day but i think i&#39;m going to alternate between co-washing and protective styles every other week. i also will make an attempt to take my multi-vitamin and biotin every day and baggy my ends each night.

detshorty05
02-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I&#39;m in too!! Hopefully I can update my album sometime soon

NappyHeadedGirl
02-07-2008, 05:30 PM
I&#39;m in about 46758493 challenges so I might as well add this one to the list lol. The only pic I have of my current length is of the last time I flat ironed it and I&#39;m not tryna have Mama Dee in here on my butt lol but I have the pic on my Myspace if you want to see it. As far as my regimen to reach my goals I was going to do twists and braids but I&#39;ve finally realized I&#39;m too lazy for that lol so here&#39;s what I&#39;m doing:

*taking biotin and a balanced B-complex once a day
*moisturizing/sealing every night
*wearing a sock bun
*washing and deep conditioning every 3 days

And if I decide to stop being lazy my braid routine goes like this:
*oil scalp every day, moisturize and seal
*utilize the baggy method most nights of the week
*wash and deep condition once a week

Reese72
02-08-2008, 12:58 PM
This morning I was just thinking on how my hair hasn&#39;t been it&#39;s longest length since I was a little girl. I figured that now that I&#39;m natural and am going to stay this way, it may get back to that length. I&#39;m in. I just want to find a great product for warm and cool weather. I got my cleansing products together, protein treatments together, oils of choice, protective styles and care down. Just need a good moisturizing product. I don&#39;t want to keep using water because some of my styles I like as stretched as possible and water means shrinkage. I&#39;m still experimenting.

mstsruffin
02-08-2008, 01:02 PM
:lol: When I first saw this I was like "what in the world??? Grow out arm pit hair?" But then I got it. lol! I wish I could join in on the fun, but I&#39;m not all natural yet. :blush:
[/b]

Hun, you weren&#39;t by yourself. I was thinking the same thing!!! I was like, disgusting!!!!!

Nappilocs
02-08-2008, 01:04 PM
I thought this was a challenge to see how long you can get your armpit hair! LOL. Im stupid.
[/b]
When I read the title of this thread, I was like :unsure: :huh: .... OHHHHHH Armit lenth HAIR :icon_thinkerg: .
Then I had to take one of my locs out of my headwrap to see if I had reached armit level. :lol:

Carry on...

jkamiel
02-27-2008, 04:02 PM
how is everyone doing? any routines changed? updates?

I&#39;m continuing to do my big twists and i&#39;ve had these in for a week and a couple days. I&#39;ll take them out next week... can&#39;t wait to see where i&#39;m at in a month so i can compare it to november!

mrsnielsen
02-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Well, I&#39;ve been rocking box braids for about a week now, but I think I&#39;m going to turn them into twists this weekend. I&#39;m not to thrilled with how they turned out. I&#39;m going to try and not do an "official" length check until July, for my second nappiversary. My routine hasn&#39;t really changed. The last time I checked length was in December/January and pictures are in my album.

shawnteandj
02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
I am so in for the challenge. I an not sure if it is possible but I think that I can do it though. Lets hope I don&#39;t have a weave craving . Cuz I am a weave queen. I have been doing ok for this year. No direct heat (except blow drying ) this year no presses or weaves. So if I can get thru the next six months w/o any of that with no growth I will be proud of myself.

scifisupergal
02-28-2008, 10:21 AM
I&#39;m ready to join a challenge. Is it too late for this one. Actually I need grow out your layers challenge.

Blackgirlattheshow
03-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Late...but I&#39;m in!

NappyHeadedGirl
03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
When I was relaxed, the other hair board was into deep conditioning every other day for growth and I tried it for 1 month and got 3 inches (i know it seems crazy and I wish I still had the pics but unfortunately I don&#39;t), so I&#39;ll be starting that up again and keeping up with it until May 1st and I&#39;m hoping I&#39;ll be APL when I&#39;m done.

jkamiel
03-02-2008, 10:36 PM
nappyheadedgirl: deep conditioning every other day? how intense! keep us updated on your results pleaaase

and welcome to those who&#39;ve just joined! feel free to post starting pics

mwedzi
03-07-2008, 10:23 PM
So I had a growth spurt. Or I learned how to detangle w/o ripping my hair out. Or those scalp massages worked (hey, those are nice! y&#39;all shoulda told me about them earlier!). In any case, I&#39;ve made it, technically. This was my length of Feb 1st.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/th_020108length.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/020108length.jpg)

I combed it and a lot of it broke off. It actually got shorter! It grew back a little bit, but you can see it was still shorter on Feb. 27th

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/th_022708.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/022708.jpg)

But then I found that great combo for detangling, started massaging my scalp, and looka here (i promise that piece is not that uneven; i didn&#39;t grasp all the ends and some of them coiled up ;) )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/th_030708length.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/030708length.jpg)

But I&#39;m in this challenge until my crown reaches apl, so I&#39;m in it for the long haul. My layers are extreme!

missCONGENIALity
03-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I think I&#39;ll be hitting APL this year. I would really like to focus on the front of my hair. It feels it is staying at the same length. I am still doing my protective styles.

jkamiel
03-08-2008, 08:23 AM
So I had a growth spurt. Or I learned how to detangle w/o ripping my hair out. Or those scalp massages worked (hey, those are nice! y&#39;all shoulda told me about them earlier!). In any case, I&#39;ve made it, technically. This was my length of Feb 1st.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/th_020108length.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/020108length.jpg)

I combed it and a lot of it broke off. It actually got shorter! It grew back a little bit, but you can see it was still shorter on Feb. 27th

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/th_022708.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/022708.jpg)

But then I found that great combo for detangling, started massaging my scalp, and looka here (i promise that piece is not that uneven; i didn&#39;t grasp all the ends and some of them coiled up ;) )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/th_030708length.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/030708length.jpg)

But I&#39;m in this challenge until my crown reaches apl, so I&#39;m in it for the long haul. My layers are extreme!
[/b]

CONGRATS Mwedzi!!

soft_napps
03-08-2008, 10:19 AM
ok when I pull the back it grazes my shoulder....so I&#39;m no where near apl but maybe by the end of the year...

runrunrunner
03-16-2008, 02:37 PM
hmmm what do you ladies think?

just touching APL? (http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1812/march152008yt5.jpg)

other parts of my hair (front, sides) arent this long, though

i think i&#39;ll stick around in the challenge for those sections :)

jkamiel
03-17-2008, 05:34 PM
hmmm what do you ladies think?
just touching APL? (http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1812/march152008yt5.jpg)

other parts of my hair (front, sides) arent this long, though

i think i&#39;ll stick around in the challenge for those sections :)
[/b]

looks like it to me! congrats!

update: i did a length check today and i think i&#39;m like an inch away from APL... exciting! still hoping to get there by the beginning of July. I think that&#39;s doable!

Afrolocks690
03-17-2008, 06:31 PM
i&#39;m in. my hair is 9 inches all around and i am hoping for 12 inches by september, which will give me around apl for the back and sides

QueenVictoria
03-17-2008, 07:35 PM
im in. at the nape im pretty close to APL. my hair has 2 different layers though....i hate it! i know by the end of the year ill be at APL but im tryina make it so it dont hafta be that long! ^_^

Im just doing protective stylin....im in box braids right now. I reeeeeally need to work on my ends because ive been findin quite a bit of spilt ends from neglect when my hair was out last month. id hate to backtrack! im so vain ugh!

tottzu
03-18-2008, 05:54 PM
My first Post. Hi Everyone!
I am in too. My regimen is very simple, I wash and deep condition weekly and wear either braids or twists for 2 weeks and then redoing them.

mwedzi
03-18-2008, 06:07 PM
looks like it to me! congrats!

update: i did a length check today and i think i&#39;m like an inch away from APL... exciting! still hoping to get there by the beginning of July. I think that&#39;s doable!
[/b]

definitely doable. keep up the good work.

Dae-Min
03-20-2008, 03:24 PM
I&#39;ll join.
I&#39;m about 1-1/2 inches away from APL if I&#39;m not mistaken,
so I&#39;ll give it about 3 months; in June.

I&#39;ll post a pic in a few days, I just got finished washing,
conditioning, and combing my hair from a set of
almost 2-month old box braids, so I&#39;m too tired for pics right now,
but I&#39;ll post them later.

ngamefom
03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
I&#39;m in!!!I want to reach APL around June or August time...Having a hard time with length b/c of split ends and tangling. I don&#39;t know how to post pictures. I have some in a fotki album but they are not that great.

http://public.fotki.com/KiNkYnEsT/

How do you detangle your hair w/o it breaking or getting tangled at the ends? I need to learn how to take better care of my ends.

jkamiel
03-20-2008, 07:50 PM
I&#39;m in!!!I want to reach APL around June or August time...Having a hard time with length b/c of split ends and tangling. I don&#39;t know how to post pictures. I have some in a fotki album but they are not that great.
http://public.fotki.com/KiNkYnEsT/
How do you detangle your hair w/o it breaking or getting tangled at the ends? I need to learn how to take better care of my ends.
[/b]

I don&#39;t use a comb anymore. I only wash my hair while in about 8 twists held together at the ends w/ ouchless bands. Before and after washing I "swoop" my hands through my strands to get the shed hair, but I may have to modify this so that I actually COMB with my hands. I let my hair dry while it&#39;s in these twists so that it doesn&#39;t knot up. This is working pretty well for me, and so is baggying regularly. Big ups to Mamochan for helping me discover this!

celajewel
03-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Cool challenge! Im in. My hair is shoulder length now...i&#39;ll work towards armpit length by ending of June. GG this cold is no joke! I think it cut my hair or something...well it just looks a little shorter.....i&#39;m gonna be wrapping my hair from now till summer gets here. <_<

Good luck guys!

Dae-Min
03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
I apologize for the poor quality of my photos in these links.
I&#39;ll be getting a new cam here very soon, I promise.

I would&#39;ve just posted the pics in the post, but my pics won&#39;t resize. :Angry:

If you can barely see this little star that I drew on myself (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/confused009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)) that represents APL in the front.
Length in the front (http://public.fotki.com/sunkissed-/my-hair-stuff/growth-comparisons/sl-hair/stretchedblowoutsfl/downtown002.html)

I&#39;m not a contortionist, so you&#39;ll just have to trust me when I say the back of my hair currently reaches the bottom of the second Kanji character.
Full APL for me would be at the bottom of the third Kanji.
Length in the back (http://public.fotki.com/sunkissed-/my-hair-stuff/growth-comparisons/sl-hair/stretchedblowoutsfl/downtown003.html)

Dae-Min
04-22-2008, 05:03 AM
:bow: :bow: :bow:

I MADE IT, YAAAYYYY!!!

I&#39;ll update with pics by the end of the week for this thread and my fotki.
BSL, here I come......

jkamiel
04-22-2008, 08:28 AM
:bow: :bow: :bow:

I MADE IT, YAAAYYYY!!!

I&#39;ll update with pics by the end of the week for this thread and my fotki.
BSL, here I come......
[/b]

CONGRATS!!!

Dae-Min
04-23-2008, 04:25 AM
FALSE ALARM</span>

Dae-Min in her best &#39;Florida&#39; voice
<span style="color:#FF0000"> "damn....Damn.....DAMN!!!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUwcCp7LPE)

This is funny and retarded all at the same damn time. :lol: :huh: :Angry: :(
I have a section of hair that is APL, but the majority of my IS NOT
.......I claimed the victory much too soon.
After stretching down BIGGER PARTS , I&#39;ve come to the conclusion that
the 4th of July will be The Day that I can finally claim APL.
I&#39;ve never wanted to be "that one girl" whose hair is SL with scraggly, uneven, see-through ends, just barely scraping BSL, but she claims full BSL all day and night, ya know?
So I humbly take it back (sniff)
"I&#39;m NOT APL yet"

***Dae-Min quietly shuffles off and crawls under a rock until July 4,2008***

Good luck to everyone else ;)
C-ya&#39;ll later.

jkamiel
06-11-2008, 08:15 PM
hey guys, long time since check-in&#39;s ... how&#39;s it goin? anyone else want to join?

right now i&#39;m probably a month or two from bein APL :)
Knots are kind of the death of me, but i&#39;m trying to pay more attention to my hair.

We&#39;ll see how it goes!

missCONGENIALity
06-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Its going. I have been wearing PS mainly. I am trying not to do a length check until my anniversary (July).

natural06
06-12-2008, 01:11 AM
I guess I am in. I wear my hair in protective styles anyway so I will see how this challenge goes.

Laynie
06-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Im im.. Maybe by december

GGirll22
06-12-2008, 05:22 AM
Is it too late?

assia
06-13-2008, 01:42 AM
I&#39;ll join too. I was looking at the SL thread but the other day I washed my hair and realized that I&#39;m at SL. That stubborn crown has finally caught up with the rest of my hair. Although I still have crazy layers. :(

My hair grows slowly (at least I think so... In all fairness its "slow" growth could be because of my impatience, neglect and indifference. ;) ) so I&#39;ll probably need until next June to hit APL all around. But I&#39;m trying to actually care for my hair properly so I&#39;ll be optimistic and say December.

[/b]
How are you detangling? I lose so much hair it&#39;s ridiculous. Sometimes after a detangling session I have the urge to check myself for bald spots.

msamuels
06-13-2008, 02:00 AM
:lol: Girl your not the only one. It took me a good while of passing it that I caught on.

:lol: When I first saw this I was like "what in the world??? Grow out arm pit hair?" But then I got it. lol! I wish I could join in on the fun, but I&#39;m not all natural yet. :blush:
[/b]

mwedzi
06-13-2008, 03:41 AM
How are you detangling? I lose so much hair it&#39;s ridiculous. Sometimes after a detangling session I have the urge to check myself for bald spots.
[/b]

i stopped the scalp massaging, too much work, but I am still using my detangling mix. Except I substituted mayonnaise for eggs to avoid the eggy bits. I&#39;m getting much better at detangling, and with this mix and not letting my hair get as tangled, I&#39;ve cut the time down to 45 minutes or so. I put the routine in my fotki here:

http://public.fotki.com/mwedzi/how-tos-routine-len/1/

Basically, mix up some mayo plus a slippery conditioner. Put it on hair section by section, twisting each section up as you go (takes me 7-9 sections). Then go back and undo a section and detangle with an afro pick and twist it back up. Get in the shower and pour diluted shampoo over twists and massage into scalp. If you want to condition, undo twists, coat with conditioner, let sit for a few minutes, and rinse out. Style as desired.

It has been really critical for me to follow Mamochan&#39;s suggestion of no loose hair + water based moisturizer. She is right on point with that. Moisturizing is totally overrated for me. Wetting my hair (aka "moisturizing" it) just causes it to shrink back up on itself or try to mesh or lock together. Instead oils are my friend.

Okay, i will celebrate a victory for every layer of my hair that reaches armpit. I&#39;ma be in here every couple of months like "look, I&#39;m APL! Again!" :lol: My second layer is there!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/th_june082ndlayer.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair/june082ndlayer.jpg)

And daemin, you better claim that! You don&#39;t have to claim full apl yet, just say your longest layer is at apl. that&#39;s true!

assia
06-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks Mwedzi. When you put your mixture on, is your hair wet or dry?

Dae-Min
06-15-2008, 07:35 PM
........And daemin, you better claim that! You don&#39;t have to claim full apl yet, just say your longest layer is at apl. that&#39;s true!
[/b]

:lol: :lol: I should!
By now, I&#39;ve got more sections reaching APL.
Previously, I felt that I would to wait until the end of August instead of the beginning of July for the reveal, buuuuuutttt, maybe I&#39;ll just post pics again on the 4th after all to see where I am. ^_^

Vavaliciious
06-15-2008, 08:38 PM
I got a question :
Can somebody can post a picture with the different lenght, please ? Because i&#39;m a new and i don&#39;t really feel good enough with the different lenght and i don&#39;t think i&#39;m alone.

sorry for my english.

Vavaliciious
06-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Sorry (again) lol, I just understand, and I realized that i can&#39;t in in your challenge. Because I&#39;m not SL, lol.
So i&#39;ll be back when i&#39;ll be SL.

jkamiel
06-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Is it too late?
[/b]

GGirl, It&#39;s never too late! :)

My hair grows slowly (at least I think so... In all fairness its "slow" growth could be because of my impatience, neglect and indifference. ;) )
[/b]

hahaha thats hilarious. you never know-- it could be at the end of this year that you reach APL!!

i stopped the scalp massaging, too much work, but I am still using my detangling mix. Except I substituted mayonnaise for eggs to avoid the eggy bits. I&#39;m getting much better at detangling, and with this mix and not letting my hair get as tangled, I&#39;ve cut the time down to 45 minutes or so. I put the routine in my fotki here:

http://public.fotki.com/mwedzi/how-tos-routine-len/1/

Basically, mix up some mayo plus a slippery conditioner. Put it on hair section by section, twisting each section up as you go (takes me 7-9 sections). Then go back and undo a section and detangle with an afro pick and twist it back up. Get in the shower and pour diluted shampoo over twists and massage into scalp. If you want to condition, undo twists, coat with conditioner, let sit for a few minutes, and rinse out. Style as desired.
[/b]

i hope it&#39;s ok mwedzi, but i remember watchin your detangling videos and maybe other ppl would find it helpful:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x3w7qPl35_k
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YhMWz8gNfzY

Vavaliciious
06-16-2008, 10:22 AM
For detangle my long hair sister (between apl and bsl) i take between 3 and 5 minutes.
I detangle it while it&#39;s wet, and i cornrow it.

If she wants an afro i use my fingers instead of a comb.

sorry for my english.

assia
06-16-2008, 01:26 PM
^^You detangle all of that hair in 3-5 minutes? Do you put any conditioner or moisturizers on it first?

jkamiel- Yeah. I&#39;ve decided to be optimistic for once. :lol: Seriously though, I&#39;ve been natural for three years. I believe that I should have more hair than this. :( I need to find what really works for my hair.

Vavaliciious
06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah I put almond Oil, or castor or jojoba.

mwedzi
06-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks Mwedzi. When you put your mixture on, is your hair wet or dry?
[/b]

I put it on dry hair.

assia
07-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I still haven&#39;t tried the mayo treatment but I did finally use my bentonite clay that I&#39;ve had for about two months now. I liked it... although I still have mud in my hair a few days later. :lol:

mwedzi
07-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Y&#39;all. Y&#39;all. Do y&#39;all know how far the crown of your head is to your armpit? It&#39;s far, mayne, it&#39;s farrrrr! I haven&#39;t measured because I can&#39;t, have to find someone I&#39;m willing to admit my obsession to to do it for me. But I did see how far 12" would get me. From the top of my head, that&#39;s barely just below my shoulder. Probably another 4" or so to apl. I&#39;ma be in the apl challenge for &#39;09 trying to get my crown there. *sigh*

assia, see, that&#39;s what happened to me with eggs, which is why I moved on to mayo. the mud adds, um, flair!

Oh, update, I think 6 or so successive treatments with egg or mayo was too much. My hair started to become really fragile and break more easily. I don&#39;t know, maybe it isn&#39;t even connected. My hair was extra soft, softer than I can ever remember it, but it was also just weak. So I backed off the last few washes and it&#39;s back to normal. I think I&#39;ll do the mayo every 2-3 detanglings.

Dae-Min
07-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Y&#39;all. Y&#39;all. Do y&#39;all know how far the crown of your head is to your armpit? It&#39;s far, mayne, it&#39;s farrrrr! I haven&#39;t measured because I can&#39;t, have to find someone I&#39;m willing to admit my obsession to to do it for me. But I did see how far 12" would get me. From the top of my head, that&#39;s barely just below my shoulder. Probably another 4" or so to apl. I&#39;ma be in the apl challenge for &#39;09 trying to get my crown there. *sigh*

assia, see, that&#39;s what happened to me with eggs, which is why I moved on to mayo. the mud adds, um, flair!

Oh, update, I think 6 or so successive treatments with egg or mayo was too much. My hair started to become really fragile and break more easily. I don&#39;t know, maybe it isn&#39;t even connected. My hair was extra soft, softer than I can ever remember it, but it was also just weak. So I backed off the last few washes and it&#39;s back to normal. I think I&#39;ll do the mayo every 2-3 detanglings.
[/b]
Girl!!!! :angry:
By the time your crown reaches APL, we&#39;re gonna have to kick your @$$ outta here and send you on your merry little way to the MBL thread! :lol:

ETA: Or are you trimming along the way until you&#39;re APL even w/o layers?
If not girl, you&#39;re getting the boot! ;)

Dae-Min
07-02-2008, 04:12 AM
My comparison pics lately aren&#39;t that great.

The pic on the right is the more recent pic and even though it doesn&#39;t look like it; it is longer than the pic on the left.
Left pic reaches the top of the AP crease and the right pic reaches to the bottom of the AP crease.
I&#39;m still not satisfied with calling myself APL, but I guess I&#39;ll claim it anyway and mosey on down (slooooowwwwwllllllllllllllyyyyyy) to the BSL thread.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/chocokat303/collage1.jpg

assia
07-18-2008, 11:16 PM
That dang bentonite! So as I said before, I still had a little bentonite in my hair because I applied it in sections. Usually I don&#39;t bother with sectioning but I&#39;m trying to find a less damaging way to detangle and wash and sections seemed to be a good thing to try as my hair is getting longer. Well, I had trouble getting all of the bentonite out so I said next time I wash it&#39;ll be without sections.

I had no idea just how much bentonite was still in my head!!! I bought some black soap and I had a hard time getting my scalp clean. The hair yes but the scalp... Even after 4 lathers (I&#39;ve never had to use more than 3 in my life) I&#39;m still not sure that my scalp is clean. I&#39;m almost sure it isn&#39;t. I&#39;m currently sitting with a head full of conditioner under a shower cap wondering what to do. What makes it so bad is I don&#39;t know if it was the left over bentonite that made it hard to clean or if the black soap just couldn&#39;t do the job... :(

I had wanted to wash, condition and acv rinse then moisturize and put hair in big braids to dry and stretch for a day then put box braids in but now I think I&#39;ll have to wash again tomorrow and I&#39;m scared of doing so many washings in such a short period of time.

So what should I do? Just follow the original plan of rinsing, braiding/drying, and doing box braids on monday then washing again as I&#39;ll have better access to the scalp? Or should I wash again tomorrow and then follow the original plan braiding on tuesday?

Help!!!

jkamiel
08-04-2008, 11:07 PM
My comparison pics lately aren&#39;t that great.

The pic on the right is the more recent pic and even though it doesn&#39;t look like it; it is longer than the pic on the left.
Left pic reaches the top of the AP crease and the right pic reaches to the bottom of the AP crease.
I&#39;m still not satisfied with calling myself APL, but I guess I&#39;ll claim it anyway and mosey on down (slooooowwwwwllllllllllllllyyyyyy) to the BSL thread.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/chocokat303/collage1.jpg
[/b]

dae-min, you better claim that

assia, i know nothing about bentonite clay (sp?), but can anyone else answer that?

Guess what everyone?! I&#39;m at APL! ok, well grazing at my longest strands but dangit that is APL! Yahooo!
Pics are in my fotki.

Updates from anyone?

natural06
08-05-2008, 02:24 AM
I plan on reaching that by next year wih my box braids. I will take them down every month wash, co wash, deep condish, detangle and put them back in.

Ms-gg
08-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I am at armpit length now at some places...well I was until yesterday. I got a little snip snip happy and cut off a good chunk of hair in some spots...but I am still claiming arm pit length.

I think by December or February if all goes as planned I could claim bra strap length.

Only1biancab
10-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Bum-PING! Some of my braids stretch to APL and beyond. Not claiming it until I take one down though and see how much of that is shed hair. So~! I&#39;d like to join up again.

ckisland
10-02-2008, 04:31 AM
My longest strand is just grazing collarbone right now (yay me!!). Give me another month and some change and I&#39;ll be joining this challenge on my 1st nappiversary!! :P I&#39;m so excited. I know I&#39;ma hit APL by the end of my second year ;)

dewdrop
10-02-2008, 05:31 AM
[/b]

For the longest time I thought the same thing too, but that&#39;s what happens when you speed read. (Darn speed reading classes *Grumbling* ) lol! You can&#39;t do that on NP or else you&#39;ll miss something very important.

Hesavedevenme
08-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the post, I have been trying to figure out what APL means. LOL funny how something so simple could stump me.

I'm in for this challenge, I'll take some starting pics soon.

queen_of_kinks7860
08-03-2010, 04:14 AM
i would try but i got a good 6 in to go!!!!

assia
08-20-2010, 08:22 PM
I forgot that I had joined this challenge and actually cut my hair several times within the past two years... the last time being this past July.

Roughly 30% of my hair is APL. My hair grows in layers so my longest layer is just past APL while my shortest is just past SL.

I hope to reach APL in more than 50% of my hair by December 31st.

Krystle~Hime
08-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm in.
APL in 31dec 2010 let's go !

Ms-gg
08-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Um, this is so premature, but I am reapplying for this challenge. I am shooting for APL in 2011. Don't judge me....

missCONGENIALity
08-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Since I cut my hair last month. I know I will not make BSL so I am shooting for APL. Right now I am kind of rocking a mullet because the back is longer than the rest. It is pretty much 7-8 inches all around. Hoping to get back to were I started.

SaPhia
08-22-2010, 03:00 AM
Um, this is so premature, but I am reapplying for this challenge. I am shooting for APL in 2011. Don't judge me....
:-))
I was in your fotki last night. I'll tell you, you made me feel so bad about my ends )8-|:-|:-)). So, I have a major trim coming up and I'll be shooting for APL right along with you in 2011.

lovingme83
08-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Okay my hair was between 14-16in. long and then I just cut it about 2mos. ago. Now it's probably 7 or 8in. Anyway, what is BSL? And how often does everyone trim if at all?

SaPhia
08-22-2010, 06:57 PM
BSL = Bra strap length.
I trim when I feel my hair needs it. I have no set schedule.

melynda717
08-23-2010, 12:57 AM
I'm in I want APL by my anniversary which is March 14th. Right now I'm a little past SL.

bayou2929
08-23-2010, 01:14 AM
i'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!! my hair is only about 4" long so i need about 12" more to get to my arm pit. LMAO!:D

i am guessing in 3 years i should be there, so my date in 6/2013.

how fast does your hair grow? i am sure my hair does not grow "fast"....

an_dri_uh
08-26-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm in the back layers are grazing shoulder/ collar bone..i mean barely!!

The other layers are , or will almost all be chin length.
Since I can't afford the dreads I want right now, I'll keep on keepin'.

So far I try to wear protective styles, box braids, or pinned up 1940's style, or twists.
Continue to wash every week/ bi weekly
Keep on top of moisture
make sure to trim when needed,
and no more heat for at least six months.
I deep condition weekly with honey hemp..i'm so addicted to it!

Ms-gg
08-27-2010, 03:01 AM
I was in your fotki last night. I'll tell you, you made me feel so bad about my ends . So, I have a major trim coming up and I'll be shooting for APL right along with you in 2011.

Ain't nothing like a fresh trim! (:-)

:-)) We'll be in this thang together girl! Keep each other company and stuff...

-----------------------------

Currently my hair at the nape is touching my shoulders. Um yeah, I am one of those nappies who has no shame in their game by claiming APL when only the nape is touching. Sue me :-))

Krystle~Hime
08-29-2010, 03:49 PM
The other thread has started in 2008 and we are end of august of 2010.. So i thought it was a good idea and maybe better to start a new thread.

APL By 31 december 2010

For napps who would like to achieve APL in 2010, there are still 4 MONTHS for reach it !
And I'm one of some y'all who are motivated.

1st September - 31st December

Rules:
1. Take and post your actual length check pic, for get a comparaison with the new year's eve length check pic.
2. Post your regimen & routines.
3. Be motivated ;) !! and update often.

Challengers:
1.Krystle~Hime

Krystle~Hime
08-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Let's continue on this thread => http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130653

an_dri_uh
10-15-2010, 08:24 PM
http://public.fotki.com/TheAmazon84/hair/photo-5.html#media

I think the back might need the tiniest trim in a few spots..but that's where I'm at as of today, the back might get there by the end of the challenge.