PDA

View Full Version : Clinton's Campaign Manager Has Quit.

BrownsuggaDIVA
02-10-2008, 03:20 PM
i just saw this (http://www.ajc.com/hp/content/shared-gen/ap/Presidential_Elections/Clinton_Campaign_Manager.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab _newstab) a few mins ago... :huh:

excerpt

WASHINGTON — Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton replaced campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle with longtime aide Maggie Williams on Sunday, a staff shake-up coming just hours after presidential rival Barack Obama's weekend sweep of three contests.

Campaign aides said Solis Doyle made the decision to leave on her own and was not urged to do so by the former first lady or any other senior member of the team. But it comes as Clinton struggles to catch Obama in fundraising and momentum and faces the prospect of losing every voting contest yet to come in February.

Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., answers questions during a town hall rally at Grace E, Metz Middle School Sunday, Feb. 10, 2008, in Manassas, Va. (AP Photo/J. David Ake)
Solis Doyle announced the shift in an e-mail to the staff on Sunday.

GalaxyGirl2012
02-10-2008, 04:26 PM
i wouldnt get too excited. this lady didnt quit the campaign, she's now senior advisor or something.

honestly i wouldnt be surprised if this were a ploy to keep her name in the media and get free publicity.

yesterday, she released how much they raised, that way OBAMA wasn't the only name in the headlines

BrownsuggaDIVA
02-10-2008, 04:45 PM
me playing the race card..the one she moved up is a black woman...is she trying to get more black votes? the other lady was hispanic.

marissasensei
02-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Interesting column about Williams' ties to Billary:

~~~~~

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huff...ms_b_85909.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/who-is-maggie-williams_b_85909.html)

Who is Maggie Williams?

The announcement that Maggie Williams just became Hillary Clinton's new campaign manager sent me back to a column I wrote about her over ten years ago:

Fallen Angels In Clinton's Rogues' Gallery

November 17, 1997

One of the most distressing features of our current political system and the Clinton White House in particular, is the way they turn otherwise honest, caring, idealistic individuals into spinning, rationalizing, truth-twisting defendants desperately trying to stay out of jail. Last week, we saw the results of this transformation in Hillary Clinton's former Chief of Staff Maggie Williams and in Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt, whose testimony to Congress is now under investigation by the Justice Department.

Maggie Williams' case is particularly poignant. Last week, she testified at the House Government Oversight Committee hearings about her relationship with serial donor Johnny Chung. After spending the afternoon mesmerized by her contortionist testimony, I watched an actress in Anna Deavere Smith's new play "House Arrest" portray Williams and express her hopes that she would really make a difference in the lives of children and those in need. And I have no doubt that is what Williams originally believed her tenure at the White House would be about. Instead, it turned out to be about lie detector tests, racking up over $300,000 in legal bills, and spinning -- the committee, the press and perhaps even herself.

You can see at once the toll this has taken on her. I remember meeting Williams at the start of the first Clinton term and being impressed by her presence, her passion and her sense of humor. And here she is now, having chosen to leave the White House to live in Paris, looking tired, heavy -- defeated.

Ever since her days as a student at a parochial school in Kansas City, loyalty has been a Williams trademark. The French nuns at her school divided the class into groups with their own distinct dress colors. "We all learned to develop this incredible loyalty to our color," Williams once explained. This loyalty was transferred to her bosses. The Washington Post described her working motto as "let them set the mission, let me get it done." But at some moment during Clinton's first term, the mission shifted from saving the country to saving the first couple.

For an idealist like Maggie Williams, maybe the first lady was the embodiment of the mission, the only means at hand through which the ends she believed in could be achieved. But one thing led to another. And allegations that she removed Vince Foster's files were followed by allegations that she sold access to Johnny Chung -- until this past week, she found herself trying to jerry-fit her fund-raising involvement into the nobility of her once-worthy hopes. Back in 1993, Williams said: "Everybody hates the big injustices. ... But I hate even the little injustices, even the way a sales clerk treats somebody who is shabbily dressed and happens to go into a nice store."

What made last week's testimony sad and laughable at the same time is her pretense that that same hatred of injustice toward the little guy explains her relentlessly solicitous behavior toward Chung. "As an African American," she told the committee, "I know what it means to be different in politics in America and be on the outside of things and struggle mightily for insider status and recognition, and so I perhaps had an especially high tolerance for Mr. Chung."

Williams wants us to believe that she helped Chung get what he asked for in his typed wish list because he was "not given overall the kind of respect" extended in the White House to white males. "We are going to treat him as well as we would treat any other irritable jerk who would show up," Williams explained in her deposition last May. Tired of seeing white, rich, irritable jerks being the only ones allowed to subvert the democratic process, Williams had a dream that, one day, all rich, irritable jerks would be equally allowed to subvert the democratic process.

So as part of her outreach to overlooked minorities, she gave Chung, among other things, signed photographs with the first lady, the privilege to eat on her tab at the White House Mess as often as he wanted, and access to the president's radio address for him and his "little guy" friends -- the head of China's petrochemical monopoly among them. Perhaps next time, Williams should launch a broader outreach to include minorities who have not given $366,000 to the Democratic National Committee. Or maybe she should just join a Big Sister program.

Chung ended up visiting the White House 51 times, many of these visits taking place after the National Security Council had described him as a "hustler" who should be treated with "suspicion." But to hear Maggie Williams tell it, Johnny Chung was a poor, innocent waif, a sort of diamond in the rough, an Eliza Doolittle grossly in need of expert counseling in the finer points of fund-raising etiquette from Mrs. Clinton's staff -- who, after all, are responsible for the social niceties at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. "A prime example of his ... misguided behavior," Williams testified, "was his persistent request to give money directly to Mrs. Clinton. On more than one occasion, I told Mr. Chung this was not possible, although his offer was much appreciated."

At the same time, Williams' aide, Evan Ryan, was telling Chung -- according to both Chung and Ryan -- that the DNC owed the White House $80,000 for a Christmas party and that any contribution would help pay off the debt. So it's no wonder that despite his charming cluelessness about fund-raising protocol, Chung was pretty clued in to how the White House worked: "The White House is like a subway -- you have to put in coins to open the gates."

Maggie Williams' story is a "Pilgrim's Progress" in reverse. She started out trying to do good and has ended up in the City of Destruction, trying to spin her way out of the rogues' gallery.

PrincessDrRe
02-10-2008, 06:46 PM
....all I know is when you fire people when you are deep in it only makes you seem...well....like a loser....
:whistling:

bajanempress
02-10-2008, 09:19 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/bajanempress/r-CLINTON-CAMPAIGN-SHAKEUP-large.jpg

Maggie Williams on the left ya'll.

I smell a rat <_<

browneyez06
02-11-2008, 05:20 AM
Well heading into Texas which she expects to be her saving grace, I don&#39;t know how helpful it will be to have a high profile firing of a Latina. Some of the news outlets are hyping up the whole "FIRED" angle no matter what she says. With the writer&#39;s strike looking like it&#39;s about to end she will not be able to have these crying jags without being the butt of some really hilarious and long playing jokes. It could just get really ugly if the loyalty of her Latin base is shaken while Barack is riding this swelling wave of momentum.

I hope she knows the black vote is pretty much gone. People have gotten a chance to get to know Barack and Michelle and the whole pride thing has kicked in for many black folks. So that base is GONE. But now she runs the risk of alienating her new pet minorities. One thing about the kind of politics Hill loves is that when you start to slip, opportunistic former friends will kick you and walk right over you. That&#39;s why I&#39;m so attracted to what Barack brings. He doesn&#39;t want to just play well in the current Washington game - he wants to reform that mindset and create an environment where very diverse people can work together for a common goal.

Look at all these newspaper endorsements for Barack:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/p...ateupdates/C9kN (http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/stateupdates/C9kN)

Michelle is going to be on Larry King tonight. She does an awesome job of really humanizing Barack and connecting with less affluent people over his and her upbringing. Some have criticized that poor people don&#39;t really identify with Obama, but Michelle tells the story of him being the child of a single mother who has experienced life on food stamps and other hard knocks. She can bring home his immigrant connection too.

All I can say about Hill putting her focus on Texas to save the day while losing contest after contest is look at Rudi. He banked on Florida and ignored the other contests leading up to it. Last I checked he was OUT.
[/b]

Thanks for the heads up on the Larry King show. I hardly ever watch the guy. I&#39;l be watching tonight!

caramelaggie
02-11-2008, 07:04 AM
^^^ I&#39;ll be watching too!

China
02-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I agree about Michelle&#39;s appeal. She would be great for campaigning in OH and PA, which they probably are well aware of.

Anyway, they couldnt fire Doyle, so they likely gave her a nice title with duties that will keep her out of the way. One thing I will give to Hitlery is she is one tough cookie. She will sell her first grandchild for the nomination. My guess is Doyle is not as ruthless as Williams.

I&#39;m curious about who Edwards is planning to endorse.

GalaxyGirl2012
02-11-2008, 07:37 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/bajanempress/r-CLINTON-CAMPAIGN-SHAKEUP-large.jpg

Maggie Williams on the left ya&#39;ll.

I smell a rat <_<
[/b]
wow maggie looks like she just got her butt beat :unsure: girl if you need help just blink 5 times fast wait then repeat.

:lol: @ hitlery

edwards might try and pull a gore and not endorse anyone, but if it stays close, his 26 delegates might be like gold to either candidate.

and did i hear somebody on that youtube video say "just be the white lady we need?" :lol:

delta98
02-12-2008, 06:16 PM
okay ladies, I am curious. MSNBC put up a map of the wins between the two canidates. Why doesn&#39;t Hillary just throw in the towel already. Obama is whupping up on her something awful.

I don&#39;t know how I feel about Ohio, Texas and Pennsylvania...any thoughts?

britni
02-12-2008, 06:30 PM
^^^I&#39;m right with you. Reporters keep saying that Hillary really needs Ohio and Texas, but I don&#39;t know how the prelim polls look right now for those states.
Sis, Hillary will NEVER throw in the towel! :lol: This is her LAST chance and she wants it really, really bad. If she doesn&#39;t get it this time, it&#39;s a WRAP for her. In 2012, she be dang near 70 (65). This is part of the reason why she&#39;s playing so dirty. <_<

Maggie looks better with braids. That&#39;s the pic they show on tv. :)

delta98
02-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Those entitlement issues will get you everytime, like you know she had her bags packed for the White House and had the U-haul packed up to the front door...

britni
02-12-2008, 07:13 PM
^^I know, right? :lol: I know she&#39;s somewhere biting her nails down to the stubs, she&#39;s so nervous. She NEVER, EVER thought this would happen...now she&#39;s getting that booty handed to her on a silver platter. :)

Nice siggy, btw. ^_^

bajanempress
02-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Man she&#39;s run to Texas already since he&#39;s swept the Potomac Primaries :D

marissasensei
02-12-2008, 08:06 PM
The fallout:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02...-camp-shake-up/ (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/latino-lawmakers-upset-over-clinton-camp-shake-up/)

February 12, 2008, 4:26 pm
Latino Lawmakers Upset Over Clinton Camp Shake-Up

By Patrick Healy

The anger in the Hispanic community over the ousting of Patti Solis Doyle as Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s campaign manager continues to unfold, with two Hispanic legislators from Mrs. Clinton’s home state sending an open letter to her expressing their concerns. (They’re not the only ones voicing concerns.)

Given that Mrs. Clinton (not to mention Ms. Solis Doyle) spent months building a base out of Hispanic voters, does the move over the weekend — as Mrs. Clinton faced more losses — carry risks? Ms. Solis Doyle, the daughter of Mexican immigrants, was replaced by Maggie Williams, an African-American and a longtime, longtime Clinton adviser from their White House days. Ms. Solis Doyle has said that she will remain on the campaign as a “senior adviser.”

Text of the Latino lawmakers’ letter:

Dear Senator Clinton:

It is hard to understand how the Hispanic community that has been there to keep your campaign alive could remain in your corner when the first Hispanic woman to serve as your presidential campaign manager has resigned from her post.

Patti Solis Doyle served in the highest ranking capacity that any Hispanic-American woman ever served on a presidential campaign. She has worked hard to appeal to Hispanic-American voters, and has been tremendously successful for you. She has served your 2008 presidential campaign
loyally. She has broken down barriers that have not welcomed Hispanic women to be placed in political key decision making positions, and has made Hispanics in New York and across America proud of her political leadership role in your campaign.

Although we are inclined to believe that Patti Solis Doyle did resign, we would like you to realize that it will be very troubling to many if somehow we later find that she left her post under pressure because of the recent primary losses your campaign suffered. If so, we will have many
questions about why a Hispanic woman who has helped to build Latino support for you throughout the nation would have been the one to take the blame and resign from her post instead of others involved with your campaign, including former President Clinton, who have caused serious problems and embarrassing situations for your campaign.

For now, we remain distressed that Patti Solis Doyle, a great Hispanic American woman is no longer serving in her leadership post in your 2008 presidential campaign.

Sincerely,

Senator Rev. Ruben Diaz
Assemblyman Jose Peralta
32nd Senate District
39th Assembly District
The Bronx and Queens

britni
02-12-2008, 08:21 PM
^^^Welp. Sucks to be a Hillbilly these days. :lol:

Another one of her staffers has stepped down. (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/02/clinton_deputy_campaign_manage.html?nav=rss_blog) :D

China
02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Another one bites the dust:

http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/02/12/...anager-resigns/ (http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/02/12/report-clintons-deputy-campaign-manager-resigns/)

Mike Henry has resigned as Hillary Clinton’s deputy campaign manager, after campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle left her post Sunday amid a string of defeats to Barack Obama.

Solis Doyle had brought Henry on board, so his departure is not a complete shock.

In an e-mail message to staffers, Henry said he was stepping down to allow new campaign manager Maggie Williams to build her own staff.

“Out of respect for Maggie and her new leadership team I thought it was the best thing to do,” Henry wrote. “As someone who has managed campaigns, I share the unique understanding of the challenges that the campaign will face over the next several weeks. Our campaign needs to move quickly to build a new leadership team, support them and their decisions and make the necessary adjustments to achieve the winning outcome for which we have all worked so hard for over a year now.”

It was unclear whether Henry was forced out.

Henry, though, was probably best known for having penned a memo last year questioning the wisdom of competing in Iowa.

He called it “our consistently weakest state.” The memo was leaked to the media, which embarrassed Clinton as she was beginning to build an organization in Iowa.

Clinton placed third in Iowa, behind Obama and John Edwards, who has since left the race. Her campaign has struggled since then.

Solis Doyle’s departure came as Clinton suffered five consecutive defeats to Obama over the weekend.

FOX News’ Aaron Bruns and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

mehogeni
02-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Hillary, Girl......

..How many people have them...

FRIENDS

ones you can depend on...
http://i32.tinypic.com/ir5nch.jpg

FRIENDS

delta98
02-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Hillary&#39;s Patti problem
Clinton&#39;s campaign manager wasn&#39;t a widely-known figure, but the campaign had been pressing her historic role in the Hispanic media and with Hispanic insiders, and now they&#39;re paying a bit of a price for her stepping down from that role.

The New York Post&#39;s Maggie Haberman has the scoop on a prominent member of the DNC Hispanic caucus emailing immediately after her departure:

"Apparently, loyalty is not a two-way street," he wrote. "Latino superdelegates like myself . . . will have cause to pause."

Also, El Diario, a New York Spanish-language daily, is more cautious, but still harsh:

Clinton’s chances of winning the nomination may rise or fall on the Latino turn-out in the upcoming Texas primary. What effect Solis Doyle’s resignation will have on Hispanic voters remains to be seen. But it cannot help.

There is an old saying from the factory floor — last hired, first fired.

UPDATE: Steven Ybarra&#39;s full e-mail is after the jump.
To: HispanicDNC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun Feb 10 21:52:57 2008
Subject: [HispanicDNC] Loyalty is not a two way street in the clinton campaing

Although, I have not finished my complete analysis of the super Tuesday voter in the Latino precincts. What is clear from a look at the East LA precincts which are the bell weather for Chicano/Latino voters in California is that the percentage of these voters voted from a high of 76% to a low of 70% for Clinton against Obama. and they voted heavily by mail.

After such a crushing victory in the Latino Community, Patty Solis Doyle is removed as campaign Manager for Maggie Williams.
(See her bio below)

Apparently loyalty is not a two way street.

Latino Super Delegates like myself who are elected to represent the voice of the Latino Voter will have cause to pause.For those of you who have committed to someone other than Obama and Clinton.

La voca cerada no entre la mosca!
There is no reason now to commit to either race.
steve
[/b]

somebody explain please, what in the h(*& is he talking about? they are just mad because the white house will be black next year!

gigglezk
02-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for clarifying AK cause I wasn&#39;t clear either.

britni
02-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Tee hee... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080213/ap_on_el_pr/obama_endorsement)
One of Billy&#39;s ex-campaign managers has endorsed Barack. :)

nvsnot
02-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Hillary May Pay a High Price for Her Selfishness (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_campaignplus/20080213/ap_ca/on_deadline_clinton;_ylt=AtP75.LIan56ePdrxr7UCc4DW 7oF)

WASHINGTON - For years, Bill and Hillary Clinton treated the Democratic National Committee and party activists as extensions of their White House ambitions, pawns in a game of success and survival. She may pay a high price for their selfishness soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Democrats, including some inside Hillary Clinton&#39;s campaign, say many party leaders — the so-called superdelegates — won&#39;t hesitate to ditch the former New York senator for Barack Obama if her political problems persist. Their loyalty to the first couple is built on shaky ground.

"If (Barack) Obama continues to win .... the whole raison d&#39;etre for her campaign falls apart and we&#39;ll see people running from her campaign like rats on a ship," said Democratic strategist Jim Duffy, who is not aligned with either campaign.

The rats started looking for clear waters when Obama won Iowa, narrowly lost New Hampshire and trounced Clinton in South Carolina before holding his own in last week&#39;s Super Tuesday contests. He won primaries in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia on Tuesday to extend his consecutive win streak to eight.

Obama has won 23 of 35 contests, earning the majority of delegates awarded on the basis of election results. The remaining 796 delegates are elected officials and party leaders whose votes are not tied to state primaries or caucuses; thus, they are dubbed "superdelegates."

And they are not all super fans of the Clintons.

Some are labor leaders still angry that Bill Clinton championed the North American Free Trade Agreement as part of his centrist agenda.

Some are social activists who lobbied unsuccessfully to get him to veto welfare reform legislation, a talking point for his 1996 re-election campaign.

Some served in Congress when the Clintons dismissed their advice on health care reform in 1993. Some called her a bully at the time.

Some are DNC members who saw the party committee weakened under the Clintons and watched President Bush use the White House to build up the Republican National Committee.

Some are senators who had to defend Clinton for lying to the country about his affair with Monica Lewinsky.

Some are allies of former Vice President Al Gore who still believe the Lewinsky scandal cost him the presidency in 2000.

Some are House members (or former House members) who still blame Clinton for Republicans seizing control of the House in 1994.

Some are donors who paid for the Clintons&#39; campaigns and his presidential library.

Some are folks who owe the Clintons a favor but still feel betrayed or taken for granted. Could that be why Bill Richardson, a former U.N. secretary and energy secretary in the Clinton administration, refused to endorse her even after an angry call from the former president? "What," Bill Clinton reportedly asked Richardson, "isn&#39;t two Cabinet posts enough?"

And some just want something new. They appreciate the fact that Clinton was a successful president and his wife was an able partner, but they never loved the couple as much as they feared them.

Never count the Clintons out. They are brilliant politicians who defied conventional wisdom countless times in Arkansas and Washington. But time is running out.

Two senior Clinton advisers, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss the race candidly, said the campaign feels the New York senator needs to quickly change the dynamic by forcing Obama into a poor debate performance, going negative or encouraging the media to attack Obama. They&#39;re grasping at straws, but the advisers said they can&#39;t see any other way that her campaign will be sustainable after losing 10 in a row.

Clinton strategists are famous for poor-mouthing their own campaign in order to lower expectations, but these advisers have never played such games. They&#39;re legitimate, and legitimately worried.

The fear inside the Clinton camp is that Obama will win Hawaii and Wisconsin next week and head into the March 4 contests for Ohio and Texas with a 10-race winning streak. Her poll numbers will drop in Texas and Ohio, Clinton aides fear, and party leaders will start hankering for an end to the fight.

Clinton should find little comfort in the fact that she has secured 242 superdelegates to Obama&#39;s 160.

"I would make the assumption that the ... superdelegates she has now are the Clintons&#39; loyal base. A superdelegate who is uncommitted today is clearly going to wait and see how this plays out. She&#39;s at her zenith now," Duffy said. "Whatever political capital or IOUs that exist, she&#39;s already collected."

Few Democrats want to cross the Clintons when they&#39;re on top. But how many are willing to stand by them when they&#39;re down?

___

EDITOR&#39;S NOTE — Ron Fournier has covered politics for The Associated Press for nearly 20 years. On Deadline is an occasional column.

I&#39;ve always been a firm believer that "hate" is a strong word to use especially when used to describe your feelings about another humans so I will refrain from using the term and instead say "despise". I DESPISE HILLARY FOR HER RECENT ANTICS, THE WAY SHE LOOKS IN PHOTOS (I CAN&#39;T EXPLAIN, BUT SHE DOESN&#39;T LOOK GENUINE), THE JABS SHE&#39;S BEEN TAKING AT BARACK...I AM GLAD THAT HER TRUE COLORS ARE SHINING THROUGH.

People need to realize that it&#39;s not about the people, but about the politics for the Clintons. I she does, somehow, win the democratic nomination, my faith in American&#39;s will be forever crushed.

delta98
02-13-2008, 02:54 PM
He&#39;s mad that Hillary used Patti Solis Doyle to wrap up the Latino vote through Super Tue and then conveniently booted her for a black woman right before the Potomac Primaries. Basically, as a Latino Superdelegate he is reaching out to his contacts to let them know he&#39;s not feeling the way HillBilly threw Patti under the bus after she thought she had the Latino vote sowed up. If she really was mismanaging the campaign dollars she should have been booted after Iowa when they first noticed the problem - or at least long before Super Tue. But after Bill showed his behind and lost the black vote Hillster had to fool with Patti long enough to get through CA, NY, NJ and NM just to use her for the Latino vote.

His real message to Latinos is there is no reason to feel loyal to HillBilly now - so they can vote for Barack if they prefer what he offers. They don&#39;t OWE the Clintons anything.
[/b]
thanks lady, i knew you would clear it up! that was my train of thought, but I did not want to think that Hil was THAT much of user...(rolling eyes)

Tee hee... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080213/ap_on_el_pr/obama_endorsement)
One of Billy&#39;s ex-campaign managers has endorsed Barack. :)
[/b]
this is good, because I will want Ohio to come out to support Barack on March 4th. Cleveland, Cincy, C-bus...where are you?:)

britni
02-13-2008, 04:17 PM
^^If you&#39;re asking me from where I roam :P, it&#39;s in South Carolina....Obamacountry, baby! Woooooo!

China
02-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Somewhat offtopic, but at a dinner party on the Hill last year, I heard that the CBC needs to take notes from the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, because they&#39;re ALOT more organized and expect results from their service and loyalty. I thought of that when I read Ybarra&#39;s email.