PDA

View Full Version : This Little Nondegree'd Aa Female

SavageGurl
03-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Oh my goodness! I cant believe this!

Just when I was thinking I would have to settle for a mediocre salary...I just read somewhere that black women make the least $$...so I wasnt gonna get my hopes up about breaking a certain #...especially in light of the fact that Im still only 24 years old, never saw a day in a college class...

But oh my goodness! I just got a job with an Aerospace company making $65,000 a freakin year! 24 year old white boys dont even make that much! :rainfro

I am so excited and nervous!

Who woulda thunk it?

oh AND i got the job as a shot in the dark from a careerbuilder posting! crazeeee!

chokoleti
03-23-2004, 08:44 PM
:app Congrats Sis! It's called BLESSINGS!

I must ask, what do you do?

SavageGurl
03-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by chokoleti@Mar 23 2004, 01:44 PM
:app Congrats Sis! It's called BLESSINGS!

I must ask, what do you do?
thanks chokoleti! Im so pumped up right now!!!

Im a Graphic and Web Designer. This job, Ill be working in Macromedia Flash, creating online training programs for people who buy the companies products. :razz

Kat Nappydeen
03-23-2004, 08:58 PM
That's wonderful :app

And also, did you have experience as a graphic designer before?

chokoleti
03-23-2004, 09:00 PM
You go mama!!!

I am happy for you. I am the same age as you, in the same line of work, working on a degree, and desperately looking for a new job in the DC area. I know my BLESSING will come but it gets really frustrating. This is encouraging. Thanks for posting your good news. :)

SavageGurl
03-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Miss Popularity@Mar 23 2004, 01:58 PM
That's wonderful :app

And also, did you have experience as a graphic designer before?
Thanx :-)

Yeah, I have previous experience...Ive been doing it since I graduated HS. First as an assistant, then as a teacher in 2 different vocational colleges.

5 years of experience total...thats usually considered "equivalent" to a degree.

SavageGurl
03-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by chokoleti@Mar 23 2004, 02:00 PM
You go mama!!!

I am happy for you. I am the same age as you, in the same line of work, working on a degree, and desperately looking for a new job in the DC area. I know my BLESSING will come but it gets really frustrating. This is encouraging. Thanks for posting your good news. :)
I guess as long as you REALLY want it, and you go out and show or fake the confidence...its there!

What do you do exactly?

flynppy
03-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!

As long as you really want it and ask for, you will get it. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

chokoleti
03-23-2004, 09:13 PM
I work for a gov't contractor tasked with doing electronic publishing for the Army. My duties range from working with HTML, XML, ASP programming, to graphics, document mark-up etc....

SavageGurl
03-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by chokoleti@Mar 23 2004, 02:13 PM
I work for a gov't contractor tasked with doing electronic publishing for the Army. My duties range from working with HTML, XML, ASP programming, to graphics, document mark-up etc....
Hey, that sounds like my new job :)

Minus the computer geeky backend stuff (ASP is WAY over my head) Add the flashy stuff.

angielocks
03-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by SavageGurl@Mar 23 2004, 04:38 PM

Just when I was thinking I would have to settle for a mediocre salary...I just read somewhere that black women make the least $$...so I wasnt gonna get my hopes up about breaking a certain #...especially in light of the fact that Im still only 24 years old, never saw a day in a college class...

But oh my goodness! I just got a job with an Aerospace company making $65,000 a freakin year! 24 year old white boys dont even make that much! :rainfro

Who woulda thunk it?

oh AND i got the job as a shot in the dark from a careerbuilder posting! crazeeee!
YAY!!! congrats sis!! :app

Artsyblack
03-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Alright!!!

Congrats!! That is so encouraging for others who may be intimidated b/c of not having a degree.

As long as you have work experience and is GOOD at what you do, you are just as valuable as those who go the academic route. I have a friend ( black male) who makes just about the same and no degree what so ever.

:app

Lagina
03-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Congrats ! Remember to save save save :duck

z3000zee
03-23-2004, 11:05 PM
:thumbsup congratulations. that is great news.

Soulsearch72
03-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Big Ups to You mah!!!!! Experience is everything..it's what matter's most. There are people with degrees that have no real life work experience. I'm soo proud of you.

sharyn* whose hoping to make 40g's by the end of the year.

kinkykhick
03-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Go SavageGurl! Go SavageGurl! Congrats! :app

Dang you've already worked as an teacher in your field at 24!

Go on girl!

MzNGINEAR
03-23-2004, 11:11 PM
You Go Girl!!!! :app :app

awooof
03-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Congratulations, girl!!!

That's extremely good news. I always wondered whether people actually got jobs from job sites like Monster and CareerBuilders. Now I know!

nappynana
03-24-2004, 12:06 AM
Congrats!

nana

ZenDiva
03-24-2004, 12:21 AM
:d) Congrats !!!!

good to hear someone got hired using one of those sites----

off I go to check 'em out :tiptoe

divajag
03-24-2004, 01:48 AM
Congratulations! I'm happy for you. :)

:app

Medusa Negrita
03-24-2004, 02:10 AM
Wow, when we discussing some issues on a R.Kelly thread about 6 months ago, you tried to show me up by telling me what you drove, where you lived, what you lived in, and what you had - so I thought you already had a high paying and high salaried job. Maybe that's was just a cover-up, huh? :smug.

Anywayz, congrats. But I'm just surprise because I seriously thought you was already bankin like that.... according to what you told me in that thread. :smug

SavageGurl
03-24-2004, 02:15 AM
Thanks you guys! :-) :rainfro

I hope that this is something someone can use as encouragement in there own career path.

Ive got ALL the decks built up against me...but still...and at my age not to mention I LOOK like I'm only 16, everyone is always surprised when I tell them how "old" I really am.

If this little unedumacated nondegree'd black girl can get a salary like that, whats holding any of us back? :-)

Oh, BTW, Ive been searching for a new job since September...it took a LONG beehin' time.

SavageGurl
03-24-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Medusa Negrita@Mar 23 2004, 07:10 PM
Wow, when we discussing some issues on a R.Kelly thread about 6 months ago, you tried to show me up by telling me what you drove, where you lived, what you lived in, and what you had - so I thought you already had a high paying and high salaried job. Maybe that's was just a cover-up, huh? :smug.

Anywayz, congrats. But I'm just surprise because I seriously thought you was already bankin like that.... according to what you told me in that thread. :smug
thanx for the congrats MN!

I do still have those things, only now Ill be able to have them AND a savings account AND a 401k! :-)

kadburyz
03-24-2004, 04:17 AM
Sweet!

natitwists
03-24-2004, 04:57 AM
Congratulations!!! :app :app How fortunate and blessed you are girl!! I am very proud of you and happy for you, I love to hear success stories about us! :-)
Now if only I could find a job.... :tiptoe

AgentDime
03-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Congrats Chica! That is a blessing.
Do well!!

satriela
03-24-2004, 04:27 PM
:d) Congratulations!!!! :app

siriuswizdom
03-24-2004, 05:54 PM
Congrats!!!! Bless

*Sirius

Letica01
03-24-2004, 06:00 PM
:yaisse2 :yaisse2 To God be the glory!! Congrats and I pray U have all the success in the word!! God Bless U!!!!!!!!

starchild
03-24-2004, 07:12 PM
yea!!!! I love to see black women doing!! degreed or not!

ade94
03-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Congratulations! Still try and keep up (certificates, etc.) to keep your skills fresh and to challenge yourself. Good job ma.

SavageGurl
03-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by starchild@Mar 24 2004, 12:12 PM
yea!!!! I love to see black women doing!! degreed or not!
:razz exactly!

I love the fact that Im pushing up the stats a little bit for us! thats one of the best parts...besides the money of course :yaisse2

mrandmrsmer
03-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by SavageGurl@Mar 23 2004, 03:38 PM

Who woulda thunk it?

YOU GO, GIRL!!! Work it! :thumbsup

saga30311
03-25-2004, 02:25 AM
:yaisse3 :yaisse2 :yaisse3 Congratulations & much success!!! :app

All-Natural
03-25-2004, 03:26 AM
:thumbsup I admire other self trained & successful sistas!

I always say, a degree ain't nuthin but a receipt! A degree cannot guarantee a person job after graduation and most people don't even end up working in the field he/she studied in college.

So, thank you so much SavageGurl for sharing your experience. You are a great example to those who believe that without a degree one cannot achieve success. Continued blessings to you!

My story: I began studying graphic design on my own before getting my first design job with the City of Chicago. During this time I decided to further my education at Columbia College Chicago and study Art/Design (Graphic Design). So for me college was NOT about increasing my odds of getting better a job, but rather sharpening my skills and satisfying my insatiable thirst for knowledge.

tjolims
03-25-2004, 03:43 AM
Congratulations!

monappy
03-25-2004, 03:49 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

THAT IS DEFINITELY A BLESSING AND IS VERY ENCOURAGING!

GOOD JOB! :app

Jams
03-25-2004, 03:52 AM
Congrats!! :app :app
Even though I'm currently in school I know how much actual work experience means, so do the darn thang! :thumbsup

iridescent
03-25-2004, 05:44 PM
@ SavageGurl :app Congrats, congrats, congrats!!! :app

and it was so satisfying to read your good news out loud in the office (box

:rainfro

Saundus
03-25-2004, 06:01 PM
That's great. Congratulations :app

netta1
03-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Congrats!!!! :heart :heart

happilynappy
03-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Good for you!! :app

DreamyNaps
03-25-2004, 06:43 PM
:thumbsup Yeah that is good news!
And I can relate to the 24 but looking 16...I will be 28 this year but I look like I just hit 18--if that.
Anyways I was wondering...where do you live? I'm from Maryland and the job market is pretty tight here...

flybutter
03-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Yea SavageGurl! Congrats my sistah. Hopefully this is just the first of many fulfilling (and the cash doesn't hurt!) jobs for you. :bis

NaturalLove
03-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Congrats to you Savage Girl :) I am so happy for you.

You're pretty bold to put your salary out there though...lol!

samantha
03-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Congratulations!!! Who knows, maybe you can retire by 30.

ashrob123
03-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Congratulations on your job but don't forget to use it to your advantage. Although you were able to get a position without a degree don't believe that in order for you to advance you will not need a degree. For black women it is increasingly hard to be able to do the same as our white counterparts. Companies often downsize, are bought out, close down or face some other similar fate. You don't want to be caught on the short end of that stick.

I know that there are a few women on this board who have been able (after a number of years) to carve out a fairly lucrative career for themselves without a degree. They are to be applauded. But don't for one second think that they are the norm. I can not tell you the number of friends and family that I have who have lost out on opportunities because they didn't have that piece of paper. And these are people with a whole host of skills and accomplishments.

Don't be fooled. If your company provides money for training or edcational attainment jump on it. If you are lucky enough to have this job 20 years from now, you could be running the joint instead of sitting on pins and needles worried about whehter you will be able to find a job at your salary requirement without a degree. Make the decision now instead of when you have a house payment, car payment and family to support and are caught between a rock and a hard place.

chrysalis
03-29-2004, 07:13 PM
woo hoo!!!! :dance: way to go!!!

expecting
03-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Ashrob,

You are totally on point. I was waiting on someone to say this. While some people might be able to get over without a degree, they are the exception and not the rule. And oftentimes these people have hurdles when promotion and pay hike time comes up. To be black in corporate America already puts us in a precarious position, but even more so without a degree.

SavageGurl
03-30-2004, 04:17 AM
Trust me, Im fully aware of the difficulties of not having a degree. 5 years of working in fly by night places...learned alot...but I think I paid my dues.

Itll be 6 years in June, and the corporation Im working for is HUGE, theyve been around for 57 years and have hundres of offices all around the globe. Im just so excited to be working for a REAL company with REAL benefits and so on.

But I do value education and if time permits in the future maybe Ill be able to use some work-life credits to get a fast degree...I just detest the thought of 4 years of poverty.

SpokenWordz
03-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Serious CONGRATS go out you! Like you, I'm 24 but I'm not doing nearly as well (and I have a B.S. in Mathematical Sciences). Like everyone else has been saying, save and invest. That would be the smartest thing you can do with "all that money". It's so good to see a sistah doing well. Again, I know you put alot of long hours, sweat, and tears into your training and it's now paying off (literally) BIG TIME!

Again, congratulations GIRL!

:razz

C

tracyannette
04-02-2004, 05:23 PM
I think this is great! Congrats to you!

jenoy
04-04-2004, 05:56 PM
that is major, great going! :thumbsup

mgtgcc
04-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by SavageGurl@Mar 29 2004, 11:17 PM
Itll be 6 years in June, and the corporation Im working for is HUGE, theyve been around for 57 years and have hundres of offices all around the globe. Im just so excited to be working for a REAL company with REAL benefits and so on.

:thumbsup CONGRATULATIONS!!!! But just a little info.................

Arthur Andersen LLP was founded in 1913 and used to be one of the Big Five accounting firms and performed auditing, tax services, and consulting until 2000. In 2002 the firm lost auditing license in the U.S. as a result of involvement in the Enron collapse. Andersen has sold its assets outside the U.S. to other firms such as Ernst & Young.

So..................Don't place too much stock in the longevity of a company. Make certain that you practice, "quid pro quo", the company gets something from you and YOU GET SOMETHING FROM THE COMPANY OTHER THAN A PAYCHECK!

From a long term player in Corporate America, don't become other than yourself. Stay true to you.

2curly
04-04-2004, 10:24 PM
I am soooooooooo happy for you Savage girl. I too am in the same field and trying to get corporate experience instead of non corporate clients via freelance.
I'm just happy to see someone being awarded for her knowledge, skills, and experience.

HuGrad2002
04-05-2004, 02:34 AM
congrats to you!!!!

Clarity36
04-05-2004, 02:32 PM
CONGRATULATIONS :bis :bis :bis

I wish you the best!!!

Try not to be nervous, be yourself and save some $$$$