PDA

View Full Version : What's so special about this "Denman" brush?

jetcitygirl
03-29-2003, 05:47 AM
I keep reading about this brush and even saw a picture of it that someone posted. It looks to me just like the kind of brush made by Goody that I used to use when I had a relaxer. That one ripped my hair out by the roots. What does it do that is different than any other brush?

lydicarol
03-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Hey Jet,

To be honest, the brush isn't all that it's cracked up to be. The only difference I saw between this brush and let's say a cheaper version are that the cheapies have the balls on the end which I think can tangle your hair moreso than the more expensive Denman. Also, the brush frizzed out my hair. Overall to me, not the best........

wannabnatural
03-30-2003, 02:59 AM
The Denman brush combs through the hair easier (wet hair better)and its not suppose to pull the hair out. I have been using the brush every since i've been doing hair. I've use the goody one and I have use the more exspensive ones, there is really no difference.
The ones with the balls are usaully called paddle brushes and I use them on relaxed hair or when I an finished with a press and curl. Use them on dry hair, and they r used to stimulate the scalp.

CrazeeDCoil
04-03-2003, 01:18 PM
I just bought the Deman D4. It is good to spread the conditioner and detangle thoroughly and it didn't rip out any hair, or hear any snap crackle pop. But I think my hair is frizzier as opposed to more defined like some people use it for. I'll probably only use it like once a month. I like that it doesn't have any balls on the end to tangle my already tangled enough hair. But I wouldn't rush out to spend the $8 on it if you don't already have it.

jetcitygirl
04-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Awright! Being the PJ that I am I picked a D4 brush up at Sally's after I started this thread. I have to admit that it feels more comfortable and kind to my hair than my old Goody brush was. I don't really need a detangler though so I'm not sure what I will use it for. My wide tooth comb is plenty good enough for combing out my tangles. The bristles are firm yet more pliable than the ones on other brushes that I've used that look similiar and it felt soft & cushioned against my scalp, not hard & "scraping". It did not pull out or stretch (hair) when I used it on wet hair. Most of my brushing is done to smooth rather than detangle so I'll be continuing to use my BB brush for the most part, but I could see the D4 being really good for long/thick hair. Or for distributing leave-in condtioner when I apply it directly to my dry hair.

AFashionSlave
04-09-2003, 06:15 PM
I love my Denman D4 brush. It really smoothes my naps together with no snarls. I use the D4 to smooth product through my hair, shake and go. It's a great brush that does not rip out my hair.

Ammee
04-11-2003, 02:25 AM
i went to my hair products store today to get a Denman brush and you will not believe how much it was selling for..............24.99 canadian dollars. If you convert what you guys pay in american dollars to canadian it would be that times 2 plus 10. Now i knew that they were crooks at my hair products store but i hd no idea that they were this bad

CrazeeDCoil
04-11-2003, 03:44 PM
i went to my hair products store today to get a Denman brush and you will not believe how much it was selling for..............24.99 canadian dollars. If you convert what you guys pay in american dollars to canadian it would be that times 2 plus 10. Now i knew that they were crooks at my hair products store but i hd no idea that they were this bad

WOW :shock: Ammee! That's terrible... I only paid $5.99 for mine... It's not all that great... I wouldn't have bought it if it had cost much more.

littlefish
04-11-2003, 05:46 PM
I may as well just face the fact that I am a straight-up product junky!

After hearing so much about this Denman, I checked a couple online stores (my Sally's didn't have it and I didn't feel like driving all over creation to look for it) and ordered the D3 Denman. Unlike the D4, the D3's bristles are a bit more spaced out, seven rows versus the D4's nine. My hair is very dence and my coils are pretty small, so I bought a brush that would better suit my hair's needs.

Well, I finally used Mr. Denman this morning in the shower, and I gotta tell ya, I'm totally feelin' this brush! Unlike JetCity, I do need something for detangling and for capturing those loose hairs that wreck havoc. Not only did the brush detangle my hair wonderfully, it didn't hurt to brush through. When I've used my giant comb, it's hurt so bad I've wanted to slap somebody by the time I finished! Not so with Mr. Denman. The bristles massaged my scalp. And it felt good to feel the water actually get through to my scalp after I finished.

I did have hair in the brush, which was to be expected. But it didn't feel like I was pulling hair out of my scalp or breaking off hair midstrand, which is the case when I do a comb out. I brushed section by section, and by the time I was finished I could brush my whole head without hesitation.

This brush is a definite keeper for me. I paid a little over 10 bucks for it. Now that I've used it, I can say that I would have gladly paid twice that.

There's my two cents! (Ok, this was rather long; make it four cents!)

littlefish

nappypickny
04-12-2003, 06:02 AM
I have really dense, thick, coily hair and I purchased the D4. The Sally's I go to had both the D3 and D4, but since I read more about the D4 on nappturality I got that one. Does it matter which one I have? The bristles on the D4 seemed more sturdy and firm and I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I haven't used the brush yet because I'm wearing twists.

CrazeeDCoil
04-12-2003, 03:05 PM
I have really dense, thick, coily hair and I purchased the D4. The Sally's I go to had both the D3 and D4, but since I read more about the D4 on nappturality I got that one. Does it matter which one I have? The bristles on the D4 seemed more sturdy and firm and I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I haven't used the brush yet because I'm wearing twists.

I bought the D4 and I have very dense hair as well. I have noticed that if the teeth of my comb are too far apart it causes more tangles than it helps. So i went with the one everyone was raving about, and the tines were close, but not too close. As I said earlier I like it. I don't think it matterse which one you use. I think it just matters to the individual head. Like if the wider teeth work for you then go w/ the D3 if not try the D4. I find the firm flexibility of the tines a plus. It will bend with out breaking or stretching out your hair. Where as cheaper stiffer teeth will not bend and over stretch your hair and possibly break it or the teeth will just come out of the comb or brush and you've wasted $$.

littlefish
04-12-2003, 04:29 PM
I hope I didn't imply that those with dense hair shouldn't get the D4! :? Yes, definitely, you have to use what works for you. I just thought that for me, the D4 might not work.

The teeth of the D3 aren't spaced very wide apart. They are still quite close together at a approximately 1/8 inches apart. :-)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

lf

lydicarol
05-05-2003, 03:22 AM
Okay I'm going to have to update what I wrote about the Denman. I realized that the way that I was using it was incorrect. I tried again with the D1431 and had some great results. As for the D4 that I purchased, I used it on my sis and it did a great job. I also used it on my mom who is a 3c/4a and it ran through her hair with no issues (which was surprising to me on the 4a parts since I couldn't get it through my hair). I realize now that it's probably my own technique for my hair which caused the D4 not to work for me. Therefore I highly recommend it. It may not work for all but for the ladies in my fam with napptural hair, it works wonders with detangling. :lol: 8)

CurleeDST
05-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Too bad I am just reading this b/c I was selling Denman brushes on Ebay for $1.00!

afronappy
05-05-2003, 08:25 PM
I may as well just face the fact that I am a straight-up product junky!

After hearing so much about this Denman, I checked a couple online stores (my Sally's didn't have it and I didn't feel like driving all over creation to look for it) and ordered the D3 Denman. Unlike the D4, the D3's bristles are a bit more spaced out, seven rows versus the D4's nine. My hair is very dence and my coils are pretty small, so I bought a brush that would better suit my hair's needs.

Well, I finally used Mr. Denman this morning in the shower, and I gotta tell ya, I'm totally feelin' this brush! Unlike JetCity, I do need something for detangling and for capturing those loose hairs that wreck havoc. Not only did the brush detangle my hair wonderfully, it didn't hurt to brush through. When I've used my giant comb, it's hurt so bad I've wanted to slap somebody by the time I finished! Not so with Mr. Denman. The bristles massaged my scalp. And it felt good to feel the water actually get through to my scalp after I finished.

I did have hair in the brush, which was to be expected. But it didn't feel like I was pulling hair out of my scalp or breaking off hair midstrand, which is the case when I do a comb out. I brushed section by section, and by the time I was finished I could brush my whole head without hesitation.

This brush is a definite keeper for me. I paid a little over 10 bucks for it. Now that I've used it, I can say that I would have gladly paid twice that.

There's my two cents! (Ok, this was rather long; make it four cents!)

littlefish

i 2nd this... i love the denman brush... you can do a search on tracee ellis ross routine or brushing napps on the hair forum here for more reviews...

buttercup
05-20-2003, 03:20 AM
I really am interested in trying the Denman D3 or D4 brush to see what it does to my hair in terms of detangling and smoothing, but I am hesistant :( . I thought brushes on wet hair was a major no-no. I am going to go to Sally's soon and check out the bristles.

Melissa19f
06-06-2003, 11:02 PM
SOLD!!

I'm going to get a Denman brush tonight. I'm still at work right now, but I have my route all mapped out to get to Sally's after I get off the train.

I'm at a really awkward stage with my natural hair. I have about 4-5 inches but its been this way for a year. AT one point I did have around 6 inches but I lost that one inch between me trimming my hair incorrectly and blowdrying. I'm a blow dry addict because I have major shrinkage and I like my puff to be extra big.

Anyway I starte out with a TWA in 1999. I didn't used a Denman brush but I had this routine with my shake n slick the sides back where I shampooed and brushed through my hair while in the shower. Than I rinsed and conditioned. Sound familiar. Well while I was following this, my hair grew and grew. But Iv'e been blowdrying and trying to detangle with a comb when I get out of the shower with leave in conditioner. Duhhh!!! What is wrong with me? Leave it to me to forget about a completely effective method.

Thanks for the reminder!! I just hope Sally is still having that sale.

:D

sugarNfeist
06-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Some of the denman brushes are grossly expensive :o . It does not have to be an official denman brush to work...makers such as conair and goody make brushes similar to the denman bush, ie rubber based cushion, no balls on the end and etc. You may want to check grocery stores, department stores, and drug stores for these brushes. One works just as good as the other B).

thighslikewhat
06-07-2003, 02:54 AM
I'm with you sugar. My cheapo Goody brush from Walgreens does me just fine :D

Curlysaurus
06-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by thighslikewhat@Jun 6 2003, 07:54 PM
Another cheapie checking in. I've been using both Vidal Sassoon and Revlon ventilated brushes from the grocery store to "comb" since 1997. I always make sure my hair has been thoroughly soaked with conditioner for a while before I start to comb. . . . :thumbsup:

Curlysaurus
06-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by thighslikewhat@Jun 6 2003, 07:54 PM
Another cheapie checking in. I've been using both Vidal Sassoon and Revlon ventilated brushes from the grocery store to "comb" since 1997. I always make sure my hair has been thoroughly soaked with conditioner for a while before I start to comb. . . . :thumbsup:

bijoks
06-07-2003, 11:32 AM
I got one of the Denman paddle brushes with balls on the ends. Is this ok for 4a/b hair? I picked it up because the directions said it was for detangling hair. Do the balls damage the hair?
thanks

sugarNfeist
06-07-2003, 06:46 PM
@bijoks I doubt the balls will damage the hair, I think they may just annoy you a little. Theres no way to see if this brush will work for you but to try it. :thumbsup: However, you did say it was a paddlebrush and I think they are made different than the regular denman brushes. The regular denman brushes have stiff bristles and a flexible rubber base. Paddlebrush bristles are usually flexible with a stiff base I think. While I doubt the brush will do you bought will do you any damage, you will have to try it yourself to see if it is useful.

bijoks
06-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks sugarNfeist :)

Bronze Brown
06-08-2003, 01:52 AM
Bijoks: I have a conair paddle brush with balls at the end of the bristles and beware because hair does start tangling up right below the balls and that grabs the strands out. I found alot more resistance with my conair brush than my denman-ripoff Goody brush.

The goody looks identical to the D3 for a little over half the price ($4.50 vs $8), and it really controls my hair. I can get my hair to go DOWN when I want to do an ultra low puff now. It also goes through my hair more easily, even when it's not soaking wet. I like it alot.

I'd say in general, just go for any paddle brush with stiff plastic bristles and no balls at the end of each bristle.

REGEE
06-08-2003, 02:56 AM
I have the Denman paddle brush which I like for "picking" :o It lifts my hair w/o catching it wayyyyy better than any pick!! For detangling, I use my Amore which was identical to the Denman one but costed less! I got both on sale at Sally $6.99 and $3.99 respectively. I've used the paddle for detangling also but it's too ackward for me to use w/wet hands.
REGEE :)

dembasamba
06-08-2003, 06:59 AM
Brush lover checking in. The brush allows me to actually brush my hair from the northern most of my edges to the southernmost of the nape of my neck in one smooth motion. This means pony puffs that are smooth, instead of just "packed down." I would have NEVER thought it was possible with my thick hair. It is a superior detangler. LOVE IT :pumpheart:

bijoks
06-09-2003, 06:51 PM
The paddlebrush didn&#39;t work for me. The first time I used it, &#39;twas ok but this last time one of the bristles broke in my hair <_< so I will leave that aside for now. I also have the D3 and now I am like :unsure: . Maybe I will try this but I will be extra careful brushing out. I usually slather detangling conditioner on the wet/damp hair, wait a couple of minutes, detangle with brush and then shampoo and condition. I have no tangles when I wash (a major problem before) so I will keep experimenting on ways to brush hair gently.

lydicarol
06-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by dembasamba@Jun 8 2003, 01:59 AM
Brush lover checking in. The brush allows me to actually brush my hair from the northern most of my edges to the southernmost of the nape of my neck in one smooth motion. This means pony puffs that are smooth, instead of just "packed down." I would have NEVER thought it was possible with my thick hair. It is a superior detangler. LOVE IT :pumpheart:
After reading what you wrote, I wore a afro puff yesterday and brushed my hair back with the Denman. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked (the plus was that my hair wasn&#39;t soaking wet just damp when I did it). I think my boars bristle brush is going to take a bit of a rest for now. ;)

lydicarol
06-09-2003, 09:03 PM
After reading what you wrote, I wore a afro puff yesterday and brushed my hair back with the Denman. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked (the plus was that my hair wasn&#39;t soaking wet just damp when I did it). I think my boars bristle brush is going to take a bit of a rest for now. ;)

lydicarol
06-09-2003, 09:03 PM

winnie
06-10-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by thighslikewhat@Jun 7 2003, 01:54 AM
I&#39;m with you sugar. My cheapo Goody brush from Walgreens does me just fine :D
I feel you! I got mine for 1.79 from wal-mart and it works great! I&#39;ve always used those type of brushes and I love them.

ashleyg32
12-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Hi everyone, I would like to get a Denman brush. I'm thinking a D3 & D4. Now...sorry if this is a slow question, but do all D3 & D4 brushes have the plastic bristles or are there d3s and d4s with boare bristles?

i do not want the boare, i want the plastic. something to replace my comb.

LBellatrix
12-18-2009, 08:54 PM
The D series of Denman brushes all have nylon bristles as far as I can tell. There are other Denman brushes with boar bristles; maybe someone here has tried one. Check out the site (http://www.denmanbrush.com).

I have both the D3 and the D31. The D3 was too harsh for my hair; the D31 I can only use after I've detangled with a wide-toothed comb AND I can only use it on the thickest areas of hair (the front and top). If I had money to spare I might consider the D1431, which looks like it might be safer on my hair.

ashleyg32
12-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks Bella! How can I determine which one is best other than trial and error? Meanwhile, I'm going to check out the website you suggested and see if I can guess.

ChelWren
12-19-2009, 02:16 AM
The only way is by trial and error. There used to be a Denman brush quiz that would suggest the perfect brush for you. Let me see if I can find it.