PDA

View Full Version : I Started Jan 03 With Two Strands

bajanempress
02-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Hey this is a great sub forum! I will try to check in at least once a day and I will answer any questions that I can or simply provide moral support or just chat.

I have exactly 75 medium to large locks- fatter than a pencil for the most part.

I started with about 6-8 inches of two strand twists. They were installed by a loctician in Jan 03 and maintained every 2 weeks thereafter.

At 9 months I moved a away from my loctician and moved onto self maintenance. I fell from palmrolling every two weeks to once a month at most but closer to every 6 weeks to 3 months at most.

I have tried latching but I don't like how thin it makes the base of my locks and also because 2 weeks later you can't tell its been latched. I live with the fact that after 5 years I can still brush my hair into a ponytail and the entire front of my head with the exception of the pieces hanging out of the ponytail look like loose naps. I need to take a pic to show ya'll because it must be seen to be believed.

I hope that has answered any preliminary questions and I am happy to answer as many questions from my lock buddies as I can!

Bless up! :wub:

gtjamhard
02-27-2008, 06:02 AM
I have to say I :wub: your locs.

I got my locs started this past August w/ 2-strand twists that my cousin put in. She said she&#39;d size them so they wouldn&#39;t be too thin & break so I think they&#39;re alright. But after my last trip to the loctician they feel kind of "thin." She trimmed along the shaft of each loc, saying this would help them look neater. And me like a fool let her do it :( I found 2 locs that were cut almost completely through & was trying to save them, but just decided to cut them this past weekend. So I went from 98 locs to 97 & a loose patch <_<

But I&#39;m determined to ride it out :) So do you have any advice for thin locs? You can take a look @ my fotki to get an idea of what I mean. I think the last set of pics I put in were taken right after the "bad" locing session.

bajanempress
02-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Oh no Mike you had a defuzz!

To anyone else who has not had this done- DO NOT let anyone do this to your head. I had it done at the one year mark and honestly I lost two locks at each temple as a result.

I think the initial size of your locks is great, I suggest going through your head to determine the state of each lock post-defuzz, many of them may be ok but if any of them are excessively thinned out you may lose them. If they are extreme and you want to keep them, you may consider marrying them.

I know there are also locticians who do "strengthening" and it appears to be sewing thread into the locks to strengthen them but I am not familiar with the process.

gtjamhard
02-27-2008, 08:08 AM
I didn&#39;t know they had a name for it. And trust me, I kicked myself in the butt for getting it done once it was over. And what they say is true, if you&#39;re not comfortable w/ what&#39;s going on in your hair speak up!!!

I have heard about the thread technique & thought about trying it, but it didn&#39;t seem worth the hassle. "Stumpy" (yes I&#39;ve named the loc) will grow back on his own when he&#39;s ready :lol:

I&#39;ll go through my locks & see how they feel when I get home. I might just be paranoid right now. My husband said they look fine so who knows...

bajanempress
02-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Awww Mikie I am so sorry you had to go through this. If it comforts you, when I lost my locks as a result of the defuzzing they were noticeably shorter than the rest and now I can&#39;t pick them out of the lineup.

http://public.fotki.com/bajanempress/my_lo.../poor_baby.html (http://public.fotki.com/bajanempress/my_locks!/poor_baby.html)

Here&#39;s a pic showing one of them.

TLMMM
02-27-2008, 10:10 AM
I didn&#39;t know they had a name for it. And trust me, I kicked myself in the butt for getting it done once it was over. And what they say is true, if you&#39;re not comfortable w/ what&#39;s going on in your hair speak up!!!

I have heard about the thread technique & thought about trying it, but it didn&#39;t seem worth the hassle. "Stumpy" (yes I&#39;ve named the loc) will grow back on his own when he&#39;s ready :lol:

I&#39;ll go through my locks & see how they feel when I get home. I might just be paranoid right now. My husband said they look fine so who knows...
[/b]

I named one stubby...I&#39;m waiting for him to grow back. its been 4 years. just going to have to wait it out I guess...

tiwalker
02-28-2008, 07:04 AM
I&#39;m not sure if I&#39;m posting this in the right place, but I have a loc question. How small is too small for locs? I am going to start locing my hair sometime in June and I&#39;m leaning more towards smaller locs. I used to wear micro braids all the time when I was a p.ermie and when I was transitioning and I really like that size, but I&#39;m not sure that is okay for locs. I want my hair to be as healthy as possible and I don&#39;t want to stress the base of the loc at all.

Also, is there any "best" way to start locs or is it just whatever is convenient to fit ones lifestyle? My 9 year old son is in the process of locing and his have been started with comb coils, but I&#39;m sure I want to start mine another way. I am currently wearing small 2 strand twist that my son&#39;s loctician put in and I like them, but the parts in between each twist is bigger than I want for my permanent locs. I appreciate any help and suggestions you can give me. Thanks in advance!

gtjamhard
02-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Hi Twalk :)

I&#39;ve been locing for 6mths now so I&#39;m not an expert; most everything I&#39;ll tell you is based off of what I&#39;ve read on this site & others while I was researching.

As far as size goes, the general consensus is that the smallest your locs should be is the width of a pencil. This applies especially if you&#39;re planning on re-twisting or palm-rolling for maintenance.

If you&#39;re going to latch or use any other tool to maintain then I think you can go a bit smaller. There&#39;s actually a thread on the locs forum for braidlockers & they might be able to give you more info on latching & the average size of their locs.

If you want micro-locks then I&#39;d guess your best bet would be to go w/ either braidlocks or sisterlocks so you can maintain w/ a tool & not stress the hair that much. The only thing I know about sisterlocks is that the initial price can be kind of steep & they are about the size of micro-braids so you can style them almost like loose hair.

But like you said, the "best" process is the one that suits your lifestyle. Hope I gave you some good info to start with ^_^

Wannagofro
02-28-2008, 08:03 AM
i restarted my locs on sept. 28,07. i would say i have about 65-75 locs, not quite sure. my hair still looks like 2 strand twists for the most part but i have so many buds its not even funny. still a few unravling at the ends. im kinda worried tho, im praying that my locs arent as huge as the buds! im still trying to make a guesstimate on how thick my locs will be. i hope that mines will be as full and pretty as ms.bajanempress :). im seeking a loc buddy!!

tiwalker
02-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi Twalk :)

I&#39;ve been locing for 6mths now so I&#39;m not an expert; most everything I&#39;ll tell you is based off of what I&#39;ve read on this site & others while I was researching.

As far as size goes, the general consensus is that the smallest your locs should be is the width of a pencil. This applies especially if you&#39;re planning on re-twisting or palm-rolling for maintenance.

If you&#39;re going to latch or use any other tool to maintain then I think you can go a bit smaller. There&#39;s actually a thread on the locs forum for braidlockers & they might be able to give you more info on latching & the average size of their locs.

If you want micro-locks then I&#39;d guess your best bet would be to go w/ either braidlocks or sisterlocks so you can maintain w/ a tool & not stress the hair that much. The only thing I know about sisterlocks is that the initial price can be kind of steep & they are about the size of micro-braids so you can style them almost like loose hair.

But like you said, the "best" process is the one that suits your lifestyle. Hope I gave you some good info to start with ^_^
[/b]

THANKS MIKE!!!! :D The main reason I believe I want smaller locs is for my job which is my career. However, as I type this, I am staring at a pencil trying to decide what size I want in relation to that. I think I want them a little smaller than this #2 pencil. I thought about sisterlocks, and you are right, the price is a major reason I think I am going to have to start a different way. Also, the nearest sisterlock consultant is a little more than an hour away from me and I hear it may take several days to do--too much driving.

Okay, sorry to be a bother, but I have one last question. I have searched interlocking and I am still confused about it. Is interlocking a method that you can use to start locs or is it the same as latching? Thanks, I promise I&#39;m done asking questions now.

YaYaNatural
02-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Started my two strands today... Hope I can keep them in.. I really do. Looking for a Buddy :) I need support support and more support

gtjamhard
02-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Twalk, here&#39;s a link to some info on interlocking:

Interlocking/Intertwining (http://naturalhaircareguide.com/how-to-lock-your-hair/lock-types-and-methods/starting-locks-by-interlocking/intertwining-hair.html)

And hi YaYa. I know how you feel about keeping the twists in, but as time goes on you&#39;ll feel more confident w/ the twists becoming locs ^_^

bajanempress
02-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Ask away Twalk! If I can&#39;t answer I am sure one of the many knowledgeable ladies can and will!

I have always thought of interlocking and latching as the same thing. However you can latch/interlock your hair to start much as sisterlocking is done- I know someone who had her locks started by this method. As you can see I have large locks so I am no expert on smaller sized locks. I

To me many people who braidlock and latch for maintenance have a similar result to sister locks and can have much smaller locks.

As someone with large locks, I also want to note that they can be styled and be as neat and versatile as smaller sized locks are. I know everyone has their preference but I just wanted to put that out there because there is often the misconception that larger locks can&#39;t be styled.

Wannagofro how are you doing girl? 65-75 locks does sound like they may be on the larger side but my hair swelled immensely when it budded and then compacted incredibly just after the one year mark.

Welcome YaYa Natural! I am happy to be your buddy and lend all the support you need. I know you have heard it is a process that requires patience. Don&#39;t be afraid to be frustrated and don&#39;t get stressed if your hair doesn&#39;t lock as fast as you would like it to. I and many others are here to lend an ear and support when you need it.

Himanot
02-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Hey Everyone, My name is Himmy. I started my locs yesterday. I started with braidlocs. This is my second time around. The first time I attempted to start with two strand twist. Didn&#39;t work out too well. I have my fingers crossed. This time I&#39;m even more determined to make it work, which is partially why I decided to start off as braids. I am so far finding it a little easier to manage, simply because my hair hasn&#39;t unraveled a half a dozen times today.

Any way...just want to say hello to you all. I&#39;m excited about being here...and any one who would like be my loc buddy...my arms are open wide. :)

litebrown
02-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I&#39;m a new locker too(second time. first time didnt work out). YaYa i feel you. i have faith that you&#39;ll be able to keep it in. I waited until the second month to finally post my first month pics, lol. i didnt want to go thru the embarassment of admitting i gave up. but that was two years ago. i feel so much better about this process now.

bajanempress
02-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey Himmy! Good luck with the braidlocks! I have decided that if I cut my hair, that my second set of locks will be started with braids because they unravel less and I had a huge problem with that in the beginning.

Welcome litebrown! We are here for you during this locking process!

I want everyone to know that I support you and I want to encourage everyone, but there will also be no judgment from me if you decide that this journey is not for you or that you are not ready yet. The important thing is that you have healthy hair and a hairstyle that you are comfortable with.

YaYaNatural
02-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Thanks BajanEmpress For being my Bud :)
@ LiteBrown
I know how You feel.I
didnt want to say that I was attempting to Loc because this is like the 5th time Im probably starting. Its just that when I wet/wash my hair it looks like an unraveled hot mess. LOL :) And I dont want to start with braids.
Idk man I want Locs, but I just wanna wake up with nice Black medium to kinda larger locs. Ahhh well Like you Said BajanEmpress it is about Patience. I will see what happens

naturalcd
02-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Hey everyone! This month is my 5 month loc&#39;versary. I started with small twists and have been latching every month or so. So many of the locs, especially the ones in the middle want to grow together so I find myself having to separate every once in a while. Maybe it didn&#39;t help that I just grabbed and went with my original twists and failed to part my hair meticulously. I guess I was just so excited to start that I couldn&#39;t wait. Anyhoo, it&#39;s good to be in a community of supporters.

I am sooo happy for everyone who posted and started their journeys, can&#39;t wait to see how it all turns out over the next few months. :blush:

C

Ebony~Empress
02-29-2008, 05:43 AM
Hello eveyone! I&#39;m Ebony, I started my locs again on feb 1 2008. I had 18 month old locs but cut them in nov 2006. I have learned so much about myself and having locs on my journey and hope to learn more on my new journey. Anyone who would like a loc buddy let me know:)

Himanot
02-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Hey Himmy! Good luck with the braidlocks! I have decided that if I cut my hair, that my second set of locks will be started with braids because they unravel less and I had a huge problem with that in the beginning.

Welcome litebrown! We are here for you during this locking process!

I want everyone to know that I support you and I want to encourage everyone, but there will also be no judgment from me if you decide that this journey is not for you or that you are not ready yet. The important thing is that you have healthy hair and a hairstyle that you are comfortable with.
[/b]

Thank you so much, sis! I am going to need all the encouragement I can get. :)

janelporter
02-29-2008, 07:29 AM
hello to all that have just joined this thread! i&#39;m not the most experienced loc&#39;r but so far, i am enjoying the "trip"! yesterday my dm (district manager) came to my store for a "look-see once over" and he was a little speechless about my new &#39;do. i&#39;d forgotten that he&#39;d not seen my hair since i had it cut and the twists put in in january. i have seen him a couple of times since the bc, but i&#39;d had my hair wrapped up. anyway, he kept looking at me as we were walking the store, and finally said "janel, you look like you&#39;ve got a new hairdo!" i said "it&#39;s been this way since january!", and that&#39;s when he reminded me that i&#39;ve have it wrapped up whenever he&#39;s seen me. i&#39;m laughing to myself because i could tell that he didn&#39;t quite know what to think. my coils are on the fuzzy side now and aren&#39;t laying as neatly as the first did--definitely a different look than what he&#39;s used to! wonder what his reaction will be once these coils actually become locs?!?

still asking the same questions because i haven&#39;t gotten any answers yet: what exactly is a bud? and how willi know when i have them? my coils are starting to feel a little less spongy--does this signify anything? the hair at the crown of my head is less coily than the hair on the sides/back of my head--will it take longer for the hair at the crown to loc? c&#39;mon buddy--i need a little feedback! LOL hugs, janel

bajanempress
02-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Yaya- trust me the time will fly and before long you will be saying "wow where did the time go?" and you will have a beautiful set of mature locks. The time drags at first and the less you fuss about it the easier it is to handle :) The washing is essential and will actually help you lock faster. I had a whole heap of unravelling when I washed but I just retwisted them until one day they stopped coming apart.

Naturalcd- good luck on your journey and congrats on 5 months! I do have to separate still and my parts were meticulously done at the start although it really isn&#39;t evident now. The marrying was a lot worse in the beginning and separating took some time but I have to do it much less frequently these days.

Hey Ebony, I can&#39;t wait to see how your journey unfolds :D

Himmy-no worries that&#39;s what this thread and forum are all about! We have to thank Dee so much for adding it!

Janel- hmm it is difficult to describe a bud for me- I would have to say it is the first part of the starter locks that begin to compact and lock. It may happen at different times for different starter locks on your head. I know that for me some of them condensed significantly in one spot and became harder. I would have to say it is a small area where the locking process first begins and you can feel the difference between the loose twisted hair and the matted hair that is beginning to lock. It is firmer to the touch than the rest of the hair.

naturalcd
03-02-2008, 06:08 AM
thanks bajanempress for the reply. I was really, I mean really worried about the fact that I didn&#39;t meticulously part in the beginning and latching at the top of my head is a nightmare sometimes! :lol: I wanted to know if it&#39;s normal after two weeks of freshly latched hair that I have between a quarter and half an inch of new growth....? I don&#39;t latch all the way to the scalp but then it&#39;s not really loose either when I&#39;m finished.

Also, it&#39;s good to know that the separating won&#39;t be so tedious in the future. But what I am experiencing right now is the greatest fuzziness that I have ever known. The big mystery to me is how is this fuzziness going to be a loc? I mean, how does the hair mesh together after the fuzzies? Do I have to help it along by smoothing the lock down? I don&#39;t want to interfere with this process and I am appreciating my journey but maybe I&#39;m being paranoid lol

Thank you for donating your time and energies to this thread. And, for your support! :blush:

C

bajanempress
03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
thanks bajanempress for the reply. I was really, I mean really worried about the fact that I didn&#39;t meticulously part in the beginning and latching at the top of my head is a nightmare sometimes! :lol: I wanted to know if it&#39;s normal after two weeks of freshly latched hair that I have between a quarter and half an inch of new growth....? I don&#39;t latch all the way to the scalp but then it&#39;s not really loose either when I&#39;m finished.

Also, it&#39;s good to know that the separating won&#39;t be so tedious in the future. But what I am experiencing right now is the greatest fuzziness that I have ever known. The big mystery to me is how is this fuzziness going to be a loc? I mean, how does the hair mesh together after the fuzzies? Do I have to help it along by smoothing the lock down? I don&#39;t want to interfere with this process and I am appreciating my journey but maybe I&#39;m being paranoid lol

Thank you for donating your time and energies to this thread. And, for your support! :blush:

C
[/b]

I have to be honest, I don&#39;t know that much about latching. (Anyone who does feel free to pipe in here!) I have found that on the rare occasions that I have I latched my hair I have a lot of new growth shortly thereafter. I have just resigned myself to palmrolling and having 2 inches or more of new growth at a time. I think my hair grows much faster than it locks.

Don&#39;t worry about seeming paranoid its natural to be a bit concerned about the process in the beginning.
I had terrible fuzzies that a loctician trimmed off. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS! Eventually everything will mesh together and lock on their own, it just takes time. Trimming the fuzzies weakens the lock.

My fuzzies have come back but aren&#39;t as much as before and I just accept them. For most people however it seems that once the locks mature, fuzzies are a thing of the past.

naturalcd
03-03-2008, 06:46 AM
I guess I really wasn&#39;t seeing things....I suppose my hair does grow that fast. Sometimes I cannot tell because I am at the stage where my hair is really condensing although when I wet it it hangs much lower than it did the last month.

I am resigned to having fuzzies. I&#39;m cool with it. And, from reading your post and others I will not get it trimmed off. :D

Have a wonderful day and I will continue posting soon,

C

Ebony~Empress
03-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Bajanempress- thanks for the reply, i know this journey will be more fun than the last one :D im so excited,

janelp- When i started to get buds, they looks like little bumps on the sides of my locs and i usually only had like 1 per loc. As for the crown of your head, BELIEVE ME~ I am having the very same difficulties. The sides and back of my head have taken a great head start and are already matting with full speed but the crown and front of my head are still very straight and i can still see the twists that I origially made. If I was to decide to take down my hair and start over I would be able to comb out the crown in like 5mins. This is something I experienced before and those ones on the top will follow along with the rest of your head in no time! I found that those locs ended up being the fattest ones :)

BLESS

bajanempress
03-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Naturalcd if I can convince one person not to defuzz I am happy :)

EbonyEmpress I am excited for you.

This buddy thing is cool cuz it takes me back to when I was just starting my locks and often I just take my hair for granted now. But I remember how fascinated I was with every change that occurred- our hair is so cool!

blackempress
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Hey I&#39;ve been locked since August 9th, 2007 and I should have brought my topic about being afraid of water in here but anyways, I guess my problem is I&#39;m worried that maybe my locks aren&#39;t locking or becoming mature. I know its a process that takes a lot of time but I&#39;m still a little paranoid. I have no problem with the wait but I just want to make sure I&#39;m not doing anything wrong. I maintain my hair about every 2 weeks by retwisting, I&#39;m trying to stretch it out a bit more than that though, hope I&#39;m not overtwisting but now I&#39;m just trynig to get rid of some buildup any suggestions?

@ bajanempress I replied to your question in my post about the "picky head" thing i don&#39;t know if you saw it but i just was letting you know I&#39;m not Bajan but I&#39;m Bahamian and trust me that is extremely common in the Bahamas. People treat natural hair like a disease and use that phrase to describe it! Makes me mad :Angry: but then i just learn to tune it out and pretend that I don&#39;t hear it cause I&#39;ll be getting mad a whole lot if i get mad everytime i hear it ^_^

Everyone can check out my fotki and let me know what they think!

janelporter
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
hi...ebonyempress and bajaempress: thanks to both of you for your replies! i don&#39;t want to seem too self-absorbed, but this is just fascinating to me the process that our hair goes through to loc! i&#39;ve got a little story for you though: at work this past saturday, a sistergirl comes in and she has beautiful loc&#39;d hair. as i checked her purchases out at the counter, i commented on her very pretty locs and asked how long she had had them. she replied, then asked me if i was starting some. i told her yes and then she commented that i had a really "good grade" of hair and that it would take me quite a while before it began to loc. now, i am supposing that she meant the "good grade" thing as a compliment but it still strikes me as odd that our folks still talk about "good hair" vs. "bad hair"! no, my hair isn&#39;t the super-kinkiest in the world, but i don&#39;t think it&#39;s superior to any other type of hair--it&#39;s hair and it will eventually loc. just an observation...hugs and peace! janel

Wannagofro
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
thanks bajan, i actually took the time out and i counted 90 locs. im glad they will be thick because i always loved full thick locs. anyways, the budding process is crazy! hopefully my hair would lock soon. Thanks!!!

bajanempress
03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
hi...ebonyempress and bajaempress: thanks to both of you for your replies! i don&#39;t want to seem too self-absorbed, but this is just fascinating to me the process that our hair goes through to loc! i&#39;ve got a little story for you though: at work this past saturday, a sistergirl comes in and she has beautiful loc&#39;d hair. as i checked her purchases out at the counter, i commented on her very pretty locs and asked how long she had had them. she replied, then asked me if i was starting some. i told her yes and then she commented that i had a really "good grade" of hair and that it would take me quite a while before it began to loc. now, i am supposing that she meant the "good grade" thing as a compliment but it still strikes me as odd that our folks still talk about "good hair" vs. "bad hair"! no, my hair isn&#39;t the super-kinkiest in the world, but i don&#39;t think it&#39;s superior to any other type of hair--it&#39;s hair and it will eventually loc. just an observation...hugs and peace! janel
[/b]

Yeah even amongst people who are locked there is a good and bad hair mentality its sad really. In any case while it is a rule of thumb that the looser your curls the longer you take to lock its not always like that. I know a guy with pretty loose curls and he was fully locked at 7 months while I was struggling to call mine mature after a year and a bit. Our hair does what it wants to and can often times defy predictions.

Hey there wannagofro :) 90 locks is a nicee solid number- if you maintain by latching or twisting this number will make you thankful as maintenance sessions will be relatively short and easy once you get the hang of it. If you freeform and only separate its even easier :D

SheCanAct
03-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi. I have a question about starting locs with shorter hair.

A little history. I&#39;ve attempted to loc three times- once with two strand twist extensions, once with my own hair (started by a loctician with coils) and once with yarn (which I took out the same day because they weren&#39;t flattering at all). Although I liked starting them with the extensions, I found that the root was VERY thin, but I&#39;d have these bulky locs on the end which were quite heavy. When I got them started with coils, they didn&#39;t turn out very well, because my hair was a little too long for doing those and it turned out to be a mess. A couple of months after I started them, I had a stylist take them down for me (they were COMPLETELY LOCKED :o), and she asked me why I didn&#39;t start with two strand twists (no extensions) because they probably would have turned out better.

Anyway...I&#39;m wanting to start the locing process again, but this time doing two strand twists (without extensions), and doing them myself. I have about 5" of hair. I&#39;m a little nervous about correct spacing at all. Any tips on how to get the bases of the twists uniform so I don&#39;t have a million different sizes in my head? Thanks for your help.

bajanempress
03-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Hi. I have a question about starting locs with shorter hair.

A little history. I&#39;ve attempted to loc three times- once with two strand twist extensions, once with my own hair (started by a loctician with coils) and once with yarn (which I took out the same day because they weren&#39;t flattering at all). Although I liked starting them with the extensions, I found that the root was VERY thin, but I&#39;d have these bulky locs on the end which were quite heavy. When I got them started with coils, they didn&#39;t turn out very well, because my hair was a little too long for doing those and it turned out to be a mess. A couple of months after I started them, I had a stylist take them down for me (they were COMPLETELY LOCKED :o), and she asked me why I didn&#39;t start with two strand twists (no extensions) because they probably would have turned out better.

Anyway...I&#39;m wanting to start the locing process again, but this time doing two strand twists (without extensions), and doing them myself. I have about 5" of hair. I&#39;m a little nervous about correct spacing at all. Any tips on how to get the bases of the twists uniform so I don&#39;t have a million different sizes in my head? Thanks for your help.
[/b]

My only suggestion would be try to make your parts as even as possible, but also take into account the different densities you have on your head. I wouldn&#39;t be anal about it because if you have relatively even parts the lock sizes should be about the same and not vary too widely. But again hair is hair and you can&#39;t always predict how much one lock will condense vs another so you may have some slight variation insides regardless of what you do.

SheCanAct
03-05-2008, 11:29 AM
My only suggestion would be try to make your parts as even as possible, but also take into account the different densities you have on your head. I wouldn&#39;t be anal about it because if you have relatively even parts the lock sizes should be about the same and not vary too widely. But again hair is hair and you can&#39;t always predict how much one lock will condense vs another so you may have some slight variation insides regardless of what you do.
[/b]

Thank you. That makes sense. Plus, I figure that if after I do it it doesn&#39;t look right, I could always try again!

gtjamhard
03-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I have a wedding to go to later this month & need some inspiration for nice hairdos. Any suggestions? You can check out my fotki to see what I&#39;m working with. Thanks in advance :)

bajanempress
03-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Maybe you could flat twist the front and leave the back loose or you could curl them. Your locks would look so adorable curled!

YaYaNatural
03-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone...I&#39;m just saying hi...Im not updating anything, not saying if I still have twist or not :) Just that I&#39;m still alive. lol.
Good Luck Everyone

YaYaNatural
03-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I added some pics in my album...Unknown (Just the title until I actually keep them for more than a month) (http://public.fotki.com/YaYaNatural/year-2/unknown-/)

Take a Look, Leave some feedback :) THANKS

giselle831
03-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Hey Bajanempress!!

I just wanted to ask you to check out my topic, "Help Please". Would really love some advice from you. If I do decide to start again, I think I may a bit bigger. Thank you for your time.

Giselle

bajanempress
03-09-2008, 08:52 PM
I added some pics in my album...Unknown (Just the title until I actually keep them for more than a month) (http://public.fotki.com/YaYaNatural/year-2/unknown-/)

Take a Look, Leave some feedback :) THANKS
[/b]

Adorable! I really like them :) Good luck!

Hey Bajanempress!!

I just wanted to ask you to check out my topic, "Help Please". Would really love some advice from you. If I do decide to start again, I think I may a bit bigger. Thank you for your time.

Giselle
[/b]

On my way to your topic!

YaYaNatural
03-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Thank You Bajan Empress!
I have to rport and say that those twist are gone. :( However, I do have braids in that will probably maybe be locs in the future. I switched because I rinse my hair everyday, and the 2strands dont hold up as well.
Thanks again for the support BajanEmp :) and thanks everyone else

giselle831
03-10-2008, 04:31 PM
P.S. I forgot to tell you that I too was a victim of the fuzz cut. I wish I had known...my locs would be a lot thicker which is what I wanted. The size is not so bad but I want them thicker. Here are the pics.

http://public.fotki.com/giselle831/25-years/1003049.html

http://public.fotki.com/giselle831/25-years/1003053.html

bajanempress
03-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Thank You Bajan Empress!
I have to rport and say that those twist are gone. :( However, I do have braids in that will probably maybe be locs in the future. I switched because I rinse my hair everyday, and the 2strands dont hold up as well.
Thanks again for the support BajanEmp :) and thanks everyone else
[/b]

Good luck on your journey! You are right braids hold up better than two strands to frequent washing and rinsing.

P.S. I forgot to tell you that I too was a victim of the fuzz cut. I wish I had known...my locs would be a lot thicker which is what I wanted. The size is not so bad but I want them thicker. Here are the pics.

http://public.fotki.com/giselle831/25-years/1003049.html

http://public.fotki.com/giselle831/25-years/1003053.html
[/b]

The de-fuzz may actually be the culprit with your thinning issue- that is definitely what caused the loss of my locks that were located at each temple.

kenrob75
03-11-2008, 06:04 AM
Hello All! :)

I have been natural for almost 1 year now and just decided to start the loc&#39;ing process the end of last month with double twists. I am hoping for thick, healthy locs. Right now, it has been 3 1/2 weeks since I had my loctician twist my hair and I am quite ready to wash it as I work out daily (I don&#39;t go back to see her until another 4 weeks though). So I am going to try washing my hair today. Is it okay to braid the twists and put panty hose on my head to prevent my twists from unraveling or should I just wash as normal and re-twist as they come out. Looking at several posts--I do realize that some will unravel, but has anyone tried braiding their twists and placing nylons over their head to help with this? :mellow:

gtjamhard
03-11-2008, 06:52 AM
The first time I washed on my own I put a weaving cap over my twists & washed that way. I didn&#39;t have any unraveling, but it seemed like too much work ^_^ I also diluted my shampoo in a spray bottle so it could properly saturate through the cap.

kenrob75
03-11-2008, 06:57 AM
The first time I washed on my own I put a weaving cap over my twists & washed that way. I didn&#39;t have any unraveling, but it seemed like too much work ^_^ I also diluted my shampoo in a spray bottle so it could properly saturate through the cap.
[/b]

Thank you Mikie Spice...

:)

bajanempress
03-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Great advice Mikie Spice :D

I think I can recall my loctician using a stocking over my head to wash my locks in the early days. When I washed on my own I didn&#39;t use it and I had significantly more unraveling than when she washed it.

HTH!

kenrob75
03-11-2008, 08:04 AM
:lol:

I&#39;m really excited about this journey! So far so good. I just washed my hair with a stocking and no unraveling what so ever :D

I guess my anxiety was unnecessary. I actually like the way my hair looks after the washing (much fuller) than before when it needed to be washed.

[attachmentid=464]

giselle831
03-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Good luck on your journey! You are right braids hold up better than two strands to frequent washing and rinsing.
The de-fuzz may actually be the culprit with your thinning issue- that is definitely what caused the loss of my locks that were located at each temple.
[/b]

Dang!! As much as I would like to hold on, I am actually more excited about starting over again. is that normal?? :unsure:

I mean, I love my locs don&#39;t get me wrong, but I want to truly be happy with them and not feel that &#39;what uf I...&#39; feeling. Do you think it&#39;s possible to still get the thickness I want at this point, or would I really have to start all over...if I wanted to.

Thanks Bajan!!

bajanempress
03-11-2008, 07:31 PM
:lol:

I&#39;m really excited about this journey! So far so good. I just washed my hair with a stocking and no unraveling what so ever :D

I guess my anxiety was unnecessary. I actually like the way my hair looks after the washing (much fuller) than before when it needed to be washed.
[attachmentid=464]
[/b]

Yay at a successful wash! I am glad it went well and I also like the puffed up look my locks would take on after washing :) Your hair is very cute :D

Dang!! As much as I would like to hold on, I am actually more excited about starting over again. is that normal?? :unsure:

I mean, I love my locs don&#39;t get me wrong, but I want to truly be happy with them and not feel that &#39;what uf I...&#39; feeling. Do you think it&#39;s possible to still get the thickness I want at this point, or would I really have to start all over...if I wanted to.

Thanks Bajan!!
[/b]

If you combined you could probably achieve the thickness you desire but if you really want to start over there is nothing wrong with that either. Whatever you do do NOT defuzz the second set if you start them!

giselle831
03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
[If you combined you could probably achieve the thickness you desire but if you really want to start over there is nothing wrong with that either. Whatever you do do NOT defuzz the second set if you start them!
[/quote]

Thank you madame!!! And I defenitely will not defuzz the second set!! But I will wait it out a bit and see how I feel.

janelporter
03-16-2008, 03:06 PM
hey everyone! i&#39;ve got some pics to post; wondering if anyone can tell me...ARE THESE BUDS?!? (please tell me yes! LOL)

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/66/1000353ba7.th.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2502/1000344si8.th.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217.6890/1000347sp8.th.jpg
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4665/1000352sj3.th.jpg
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4793/1000353sf3.th.jpg
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6924/1000354ij8.th.jpg

i :wub: NP!!!

hugs and peace, janel

bajanempress
03-16-2008, 05:26 PM
I&#39;m sorry sweetie I can&#39;t see from those pix- are they in your fotki? Are parts of the locks compacting?

janelporter
03-16-2008, 07:52 PM
hey bajanempress: yes, these pics are in my fotki--the month 2 album. no password needed. thanks for looking...and responding. hugs and peace, janel

bajanempress
03-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey there Janel- sorry to hvae taken so long. It definitely looks like something maybe be happening!

gtjamhard
03-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Hey ladies,

Just wanted to let you know I have some new pics in my fotki. Let me kow what you think.

New Pics (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/)

bajanempress
03-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Nice progress Mikie!

giselle831
03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey bajanempress! Haven&#39;t seen you in a while!! So..lately I&#39;ve been thinking about combining... :blush: Can&#39;t make up my mind!! I would like to know how to do this myself, the easiest way possible. Are there any links you can give me, or if you know how pls let me know? TIA!!!

I don&#39;t think I can part with them!!!

Giselle

gtjamhard
03-21-2008, 06:29 AM
Nice progress Mikie![/b]
Thanks for the compliment ^_^

bajanempress
03-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Hey bajanempress! Haven&#39;t seen you in a while!! So..lately I&#39;ve been thinking about combining... :blush: Can&#39;t make up my mind!! I would like to know how to do this myself, the easiest way possible. Are there any links you can give me, or if you know how pls let me know? TIA!!!

I don&#39;t think I can part with them!!!

Giselle
[/b]

Hey giselle! I am sorry it has taken so long! I&#39;ve got a big presentation on Tuesday that is part of my PhD requirements so I&#39;ve only been on sporadically. I keep trying to search for members but when I do that it crashes. I was looking for Cherie King/ rockinlocs (sp?) she combined her braid locks to achieve the thicker size she desired. She actually has her own products and uses a latch hook to maintain. I am sure you could also do it by finger latching.

One of my locks I combined by fingerlatching and a few at the back I just two strand twisted around each other and palm rolled them together until they married over time.

I am not sure if that helps.......

naturalcd
03-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Hey all!

It&#39;s six months locing for me today!

I decided to combine my 400+ locks about a week ago and I am happy about it. For five months I spent a week latching the new growth and with school coming up in the fall, I forsaw a nightmare. I just twisted a loc with its neighbor and will latch the new growth. No problems so far and I have even been able to rinse and wash without unraveling...except just one in the back :D

C

bajanempress
03-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Hey all!

It&#39;s six months locing for me today!

I decided to combine my 400+ locks about a week ago and I am happy about it. For five months I spent a week latching the new growth and with school coming up in the fall, I forsaw a nightmare. I just twisted a loc with its neighbor and will latch the new growth. No problems so far and I have even been able to rinse and wash without unraveling...except just one in the back :D

C
[/b]

Congrats on reaching 6 months! It will be a year in no time! I am glad that your combining worked well and is causing no problems for you :)

How are all my other lovly ladies doing? I&#39;m still here to lend support whenever you guys need it. I may be dropping in a little less often (writing my dissertation) but I will be around I promise!

janelporter
03-30-2008, 10:34 AM
hi bajanempress and others! just checking i here...bajan: good luck on your dissertation--you&#39;re almost there! i remember in my undergrad days; my school required that every senior write a thesis and was given an oral examination by a tutorial board. i knew i had it licked when i put that last period to the last sentance of my thesis--i didn&#39;t even care about the oral exam and coasted through (LOL) i&#39;d just spent six months writing in my sleep...every now and again i&#39;ve thought about going back to pursue my master and phD, but honestly, i don&#39;t know that i have the strength and the patience to go back. i salute and admire you, girl!

to keep this loc related: i&#39;m happy to report that my coils actually seem to be turning into locs now. although the coils are still somewhat smooth, they are starting to take on that "ropey" (is that a word?!?) appearance that says &#39;locs&#39;. and my hair has grown like crazy; i love the way it feels (is this the genesis of hand in loc disease?!) the texture is kinda firmly spongy (does that make sense?) and i love touching it. how firm will the locs be? i have a girlfriend that sports locs and hers are very firm and coarse feeling, but her hair has a very coarse texture; my hair isn&#39;t that coarse. will my mature locs still be fairly spongy in texture? this is just an absolutely amazing process...! hugs and peace, janel

bajanempress
03-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi there janel! Thanks for the good wishes! My undergrad had thesis requirements as well so this is my third time going through this process!

Everyone&#39;s locks feel different, some people are able to maintain softness and I think that is helped by keeping your locks moisturised so once again water is your friend!

My locks are firm but not dry or crispy and the bottom is kinda still spongy cuz my hair takes a while to lock.

Himanot
04-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey Bajanempress, first I want to say good luck with your dissertation!!!!!

Just at my 6 week mark now and I have learned so much about myself since I started this journey. I am also, loc&#39;ing faster and better than the first go around. The first time I only made it to 6 weeks. Out of frustration (getting bad advice, ex. don&#39;t wash your hair for at least 6 weeks) I took them down. Now I can&#39;t even imagine not continuing my journey.

I have done many rinses, several washes and I spritz often. I use nothing, but all natural (mostly organic or home made) products on my hair. I feel like I&#39;m pampering myself.

Any way, don&#39;t want to bore you all...just wanted to check in and let you know I&#39;m still with you. :)

Peace and Blessings,
Himmy

gtjamhard
04-02-2008, 05:15 AM
Hey Ladies,

Just wanted to share the latest developments w/ you guys. I went to Jamaica this past weekend for a wedding & while I was down there I got my hair interlocked. Here are some shots of my hair 2 days after. What do you think?

Front (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/hair001.html)

Side (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/hair002.html)

Back (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/hair003.html)

bajanempress
04-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Hey Bajanempress, first I want to say good luck with your dissertation!!!!!

Just at my 6 week mark now and I have learned so much about myself since I started this journey. I am also, loc&#39;ing faster and better than the first go around. The first time I only made it to 6 weeks. Out of frustration (getting bad advice, ex. don&#39;t wash your hair for at least 6 weeks) I took them down. Now I can&#39;t even imagine not continuing my journey.

I have done many rinses, several washes and I spritz often. I use nothing, but all natural (mostly organic or home made) products on my hair. I feel like I&#39;m pampering myself.

Any way, don&#39;t want to bore you all...just wanted to check in and let you know I&#39;m still with you. :)

Peace and Blessings,
Himmy
[/b]

Thanks for the encouragement :D

Yay congrats on 6 weeks! You can do it!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work with the washes and pampering yourself, water is definitely your friend :)

Hey Ladies,

Just wanted to share the latest developments w/ you guys. I went to Jamaica this past weekend for a wedding & while I was down there I got my hair interlocked. Here are some shots of my hair 2 days after. What do you think?

Front (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/hair001.html)

Side (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/hair002.html)

Back (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/hair003.html)
[/b]

It looks good Mikie! I like it a lot.

rmslms
04-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey this is a great sub forum! I will try to check in at least once a day and I will answer any questions that I can or simply provide moral support or just chat.

I have exactly 75 medium to large locks- fatter than a pencil for the most part.

I started with about 6-8 inches of two strand twists. They were installed by a loctician in Jan 03 and maintained every 2 weeks thereafter.

At 9 months I moved a away from my loctician and moved onto self maintenance. I fell from palmrolling every two weeks to once a month at most but closer to every 6 weeks to 3 months at most.

I have tried latching but I don&#39;t like how thin it makes the base of my locks and also because 2 weeks later you can&#39;t tell its been latched. I live with the fact that after 5 years I can still brush my hair into a ponytail and the entire front of my head with the exception of the pieces hanging out of the ponytail look like loose naps. I need to take a pic to show ya&#39;ll because it must be seen to be believed.

I hope that has answered any preliminary questions and I am happy to answer as many questions from my lock buddies as I can!

[/b]

Hi! I started with my locs 3months ago with two strand twists! I&#39;m lookin for a buddy! I have no idea what to expect!
Thanks!

http://public.fotki.com/nextevolution/

bajanempress
04-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi! I started with my locs 3months ago with two strand twists! I&#39;m lookin for a buddy! I have no idea what to expect!
Thanks!

http://public.fotki.com/nextevolution/
[/b]

Hey there!

Your hair looks so cute and so are you :D

Its kind of hard to detail what to expect since everyone&#39;s hair locks differently. I&#39;ll tell you a bit about my own experience though.

I can&#39;t quite remember when I got buds but I do remember that my hair was fuzzy like nothing you&#39;ve ever seen before!

At 9 months I still was not locked and experienced enormous swelling and expansion of my locks.

One year in I had the ill fated defuzz and my locks had compacted and were thinner than ever before. The compaction was in no way related to the defuzz.

Over time my hair has continued to compact and the end product is significantly thinner than the twists I started out with.

mena
04-05-2008, 07:46 AM

I have tried latching but I don&#39;t like how thin it makes the base of my locks and also because 2 weeks later you can&#39;t tell its been latched. I live with the fact that after 5 years I can still brush my hair into a ponytail and the entire front of my head with the exception of the pieces hanging out of the ponytail look like loose naps. I need to take a pic to show ya&#39;ll because it must be seen to be believed.

[/b]

I just read your post. I&#39;m back on the site because I&#39;m getting a little discouraged.. I&#39;ve been trying to loc my hair since nov 07 I would go to my loctition about every two weeks and "try" to do my own locing in between.
My loctition hurt her back so I tried to do it all myself but i am afraid to shampoo so I go to the girl who is taking her place temperately and she wants to kill me on pricing.I need help!!! I don&#39;t have any products expect for gel. And I need to learn self maintainance. So when i saw loc buddy well, thats what i need.

bajanempress
04-05-2008, 08:07 AM
I just read your post. I&#39;m back on the site because I&#39;m getting a little discouraged.. I&#39;ve been trying to loc my hair since nov 07 I would go to my loctition about every two weeks and "try" to do my own locing in between.
My loctition hurt her back so I tried to do it all myself but i am afraid to shampoo so I go to the girl who is taking her place temperately and she wants to kill me on pricing.I need help!!! I don&#39;t have any products expect for gel. And I need to learn self maintainance. So when i saw loc buddy well, thats what i need.
[/b]

Hey there! Don&#39;t become discouraged!

I know exactly how you feel. When I moved to TX from Barbados I was horrified at the cost of maintaining my own locks and so I bit the bullet and did it myself. It didn&#39;t look the same as the loctician&#39;s work and even now, over 4 years into self maintenance, it still doesn&#39;t but whatever :) With time and practice I got better and so will you.

I don&#39;t know how long your hair is but when my hair was shorter and before the locks matured, using the silver clips was a must.

I use olive oil that I scent with oils and a light clear gel.

Wash the hair thoroughly, making sure to get all of the shampoo out. If you are afraid of unraveling try to be extra gentle, and I&#39;ve also heard of people shampooing not yet locked hair through a stocking cap to reduce unraveling.

After washing, I remove the excess water and then apply olive oil to lock in moisture.

I put a small amount of gel in my hand and apply to the lock and roll the lock between my palms. I always go to the right because that&#39;s how my locks were started- always twist in the same direction. If rolling the lock between your palms is a bit much for you right now you can just twist the lock clockwise with one hand.

I&#39;ll try to explain how I palm roll. I place the lock on top the palm of my right hand. I then lay my left hand on top of the lock so that the lock is sandwiched between the hands. With a firm grip of the lock between the flat palms, slide the left palm up (towards and past the tips of the right hand) and slide the right palm in the opposite direction.

When the lock is twisted add a silver clip to hold it in place, I also used to clip some locks together at the ends.

I hope this helps!

mena
04-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Thank you bajanempress!! Your reply came quicker than expected. I just went to the salon on Thurs so I&#39;ll try to wait about two weeks before relocing. Now I have Olive Oil in my kitchen cabinet I cook with it all the time. Thats the oil you&#39;re talking about right? I just mix it with my gel?? I have clips I&#39;m just awkward with the palming but that comes with time I&#39;m sure. My hair is about 4 to 8 ins. Mostly loced but still comes unraveled when shampooed. I still go back and forth about my decision to loc. I&#39;ve been natural 4yrs April 4th and it took me about two years to decide to loc. One thing it is teaching me is patience.

Again thank you for your advice I&#39;ll keep you posted!!

bajanempress
04-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Yep I use the olive oil you cook with- the scent can be strong that&#39;s why I use other oils (like peppermint EO) to make it smell yummy. I don&#39;t mix the oil with the gel I apply the oil to my wet hair to lock in the moisture. I don&#39;t always use gel but the retwist lats a bit longer when I do. My hair is super fuzzy so if twist without gel (just with the oil in my hair) it only looks neat for a day or two. If I use gel it lasts about a week.

bajanempress
04-09-2008, 02:27 PM
How are all my lovely locked ladies doing? I hope the journey is going well for you all! :)

gtjamhard
04-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi All,

No major news to report...just wanted to say "hi" :hug:

I&#39;ve been reading up on the whole interlocking/latching technique & I think I&#39;m gonna give it a shot for my next tightening session. That&#39;s not for another couple of weeks, but it gives me something to look forward to ^_^

giselle831
04-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Hey bajan!!

I haven&#39;t been in here for a while. I decided that I am going to combine my locs by taking two and wrapping thread around the whole thing. I don&#39;t know if anyone else has done this, and I think I&#39;m crazy, but I would rather try this than actually put thread in my hair. Plus, since I am combinng my whole head I thought this would look nicer than all these twists...I don&#39;t know!!

Anyway, please let me know what you think.

TIA

Giselle

p.s. I keep forgetting to say that my Dad is bajan. They are from the Christ Church area. I don&#39;t think there is anyone left from my family there though. :D

mena
04-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Just checking in, I looked in the mirror this am and I think I finally love my locs. Nothing has changed but because of this forum I just fell as if I can continue this journey.

I hope to post some pics soon. :lol: :lol:

gtjamhard
04-11-2008, 03:44 PM
My husband finally let me see some of the pics we took in Jamaica (yeah, he&#39;s a perfectionist) & I have to say.... I LOVE MY HAIR!!!! :lol: SO I thought I&#39;d share a few shots w/ you guys. Enjoy ^_^

Chillin&#39; (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/47b8da31b3127cce987.html)

Supermodel (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/47b8da31b3127cce985.html)

I&#39;m just so happy to be here..." (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/47b8da31b3127cce986.html)

janelporter
04-12-2008, 01:26 AM
How are all my lovely locked ladies doing? I hope the journey is going well for you all! :)
[/b]

hey bajanempress and everyone! just checking in--i guess the journey is still going well--the hair is still on my head LOL! anyway, i just did a full wash and retwist about 2 hours ago or so; man, did i have a lot of new hair; quite a &#39;fro under the coils/locs! sheesh--i just washed and retwisted two weeks ago. my hair must be loving this no comb thing, it&#39;s growing like a weed (and i&#39;m definitely not complaining!) anywho, they are all nice and freshly twisted and very neat (and i&#39;m looking very scalpy LOL) this will last till tomorrow morning when i pick up by bottle of spritz solution--then the "fulling of the locs" will begin anew.

a question for you: when retwisting, i noticed that there was an area on a number of my locs that is kinda "bulge-y"--when i palmed rolled the length (well actually quasi palm rolled, as my hair isn&#39;t long enough yet to hold between my palms proper) it didn&#39;t smooth in like the rest of the new growth. what&#39;s up with that? not that i can apparently do anything about it, but i&#39;d just like to know what the deal is. if you can picture this, the loc looks like this from the tip to the root: coil/bulge-y section/retwisted new growth. if you click the fotki link in my siggy and look at the last 4 pics in the month 3 album, you might be able to see what i&#39;m talking about. thanks. hugs and peace, janel

bajanempress
04-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi All,

No major news to report...just wanted to say "hi" :hug:

I&#39;ve been reading up on the whole interlocking/latching technique & I think I&#39;m gonna give it a shot for my next tightening session. That&#39;s not for another couple of weeks, but it gives me something to look forward to ^_^
[/b]
Hey Mikie! :D

Hey bajan!!

I haven&#39;t been in here for a while. I decided that I am going to combine my locs by taking two and wrapping thread around the whole thing. I don&#39;t know if anyone else has done this, and I think I&#39;m crazy, but I would rather try this than actually put thread in my hair. Plus, since I am combinng my whole head I thought this would look nicer than all these twists...I don&#39;t know!!

Anyway, please let me know what you think.

TIA

Giselle

p.s. I keep forgetting to say that my Dad is bajan. They are from the Christ Church area. I don&#39;t think there is anyone left from my family there though. :D
[/b]

I haven&#39;t heard of anyone combining by wrapping the thread around it but it sounds cool to me, that is certainly an innovative way to combine. Good luck I am sure it will turn out great!

Hey that makes you half bajan! When next you coming home? You should come for Crop Over one day, you&#39;d be amazed at the number of locked heads you see around!

Just checking in, I looked in the mirror this am and I think I finally love my locs. Nothing has changed but because of this forum I just fell as if I can continue this journey.

I hope to post some pics soon. :lol: :lol:
[/b]

Congrats on embracing your locks! They are truly amazing in how they differ from person to person and even each lock from each other but the differences make them gorgeous!

Looking forward to your pix girl!

My husband finally let me see some of the pics we took in Jamaica (yeah, he&#39;s a perfectionist) & I have to say.... I LOVE MY HAIR!!!! :lol: SO I thought I&#39;d share a few shots w/ you guys. Enjoy ^_^

Chillin&#39; (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/47b8da31b3127cce987.html)

Supermodel (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/47b8da31b3127cce985.html)

I&#39;m just so happy to be here..." (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/january-2008---apri/47b8da31b3127cce986.html)
[/b]

Look at this sexy lady! You look fantastic Mikie! I am glad you had such a good time!

hey bajanempress and everyone! just checking in--i guess the journey is still going well--the hair is still on my head LOL! anyway, i just did a full wash and retwist about 2 hours ago or so; man, did i have a lot of new hair; quite a &#39;fro under the coils/locs! sheesh--i just washed and retwisted two weeks ago. my hair must be loving this no comb thing, it&#39;s growing like a weed (and i&#39;m definitely not complaining!) anywho, they are all nice and freshly twisted and very neat (and i&#39;m looking very scalpy LOL) this will last till tomorrow morning when i pick up by bottle of spritz solution--then the "fulling of the locs" will begin anew.

a question for you: when retwisting, i noticed that there was an area on a number of my locs that is kinda "bulge-y"--when i palmed rolled the length (well actually quasi palm rolled, as my hair isn&#39;t long enough yet to hold between my palms proper) it didn&#39;t smooth in like the rest of the new growth. what&#39;s up with that? not that i can apparently do anything about it, but i&#39;d just like to know what the deal is. if you can picture this, the loc looks like this from the tip to the root: coil/bulge-y section/retwisted new growth. if you click the fotki link in my siggy and look at the last 4 pics in the month 3 album, you might be able to see what i&#39;m talking about. thanks. hugs and peace, janel
[/b]

I know exactly what you are talking about, when my loctician retwisted she was able to compact it enough to disguise it but when I did it myself I couldn&#39;t. My locks swelled before they compacted and the swelled state lasted quite a few months before they settled down. Its normal and is one of the stages on your way to locking.

You sound like you&#39;ve got a great routine going on! I know some people who think every two weeks is too often but I started out doing that for the first 9-12 months and I had no ill effects from it. As the locks mature you&#39;ll be able to space out the retwists more.

giselle831
04-13-2008, 12:42 AM
I will post pics as soon as I can! I can&#39;t wait!!

bajanempress
04-14-2008, 04:18 AM
I will post pics as soon as I can! I can&#39;t wait!!
[/b]

Me either! I don&#39;t have a camera anymore and I won&#39;t have one probably until Sept at least so my next lock updates will be then.

janelporter
04-22-2008, 01:36 AM
hello again everyone! hope things are going well. just a quick drop by to let you all know that i&#39;ve added more pics to my fotki month 3 album. i would be so honored if you took a peek! also, did you know that you can upload videos to fotki? i uploaded two short videos to my account and you might want to take a listen to my ramblings! the videos are also under my youtube account (both addresses in my siggy). thanks and hugs and peace to all of you! janel

gtjamhard
04-22-2008, 01:55 PM
hi ladies,

just checking in to say howdy do. hope everyone is doing well ^_^

i washed my hair the other day & the interlocked roots are holding up well. it&#39;s still fuzzy, but not as much as w/ a retwist so i think i may have found something i like. it also helps that the hubby likes it too. the other day he told me "your hair is gonna look so hot when it grows some more"...i had to laugh :lol:

until next time, toodles :winkiss:

bajanempress
04-25-2008, 05:26 AM
hello again everyone! hope things are going well. just a quick drop by to let you all know that i&#39;ve added more pics to my fotki month 3 album. i would be so honored if you took a peek! also, did you know that you can upload videos to fotki? i uploaded two short videos to my account and you might want to take a listen to my ramblings! the videos are also under my youtube account (both addresses in my siggy). thanks and hugs and peace to all of you! janel
[/b]

They are coming along really nicely! Sorry I didn&#39;t check before- I was travelling until last night!

hi ladies,

just checking in to say howdy do. hope everyone is doing well ^_^

i washed my hair the other day & the interlocked roots are holding up well. it&#39;s still fuzzy, but not as much as w/ a retwist so i think i may have found something i like. it also helps that the hubby likes it too. the other day he told me "your hair is gonna look so hot when it grows some more"...i had to laugh :lol:

until next time, toodles :winkiss:
[/b]

I&#39;m glad that the interlocking held up well. Mine don&#39;t hold up very well at all but I think its because of the super fuzz that my hair harbours lol :)

gtjamhard
04-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tied a knot in their loc? I had a few that looked thin @ some pts to me, who knows..maybe I&#39;m paranoid. In any case, I just tied a knot @ the weak points & went about my business. So..am I alone in my madness :lol:

janelporter
04-30-2008, 02:35 AM
They are coming along really nicely! Sorry I didn&#39;t check before- I was travelling until last night!
I&#39;m glad that the interlocking held up well. Mine don&#39;t hold up very well at all but I think its because of the super fuzz that my hair harbours lol :)
[/b]

hi bajanempress! you are one busy lady! you make me tired just reading about all you do LOL! seriously though, i used to have that kind of energy; now, much as i hate to admit it, i am getting a little (very little) older and slowing down just a wee, teeny, tiny bit. thanks for the compliment and making the two short videos was fun. thought it would be a good way for my family to see what was up. did a wash/retwist this past weekend and it&#39;s amazing how little scalp is showing now, compared to when i first started. the locs are really starting to thicken--each time i notice something new, i&#39;m excited all over again! hugs and peace, janel

TriniLocz
05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tied a knot in their loc? I had a few that looked thin @ some pts to me, who knows..maybe I&#39;m paranoid. In any case, I just tied a knot @ the weak points & went about my business. So..am I alone in my madness :lol:
[/b]

Hey,
One of my thinner locs at the nape of my neck seemed to have this "weak" spot towards the end of the loc. It just looked as though one good tug would be all it would take to rip that weak joint off. I&#39;ve been debating cutting it off, it&#39;s only like 1-2inches, but instead I tied a whole bunch of little knots in it! Looks great to me and now that area where it was thin is no longer visible! Great idea Hun! Thanks!

...That makes 2 of us at least in this madness... :)

bajanempress
05-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Mikie- I have tied a knot before in a lock or two and it worked out fine. One was thinning in a spot where I was working a bit overzealously on some lint removal so I simply knotted it up.

Janelp- Girl I am slowing down myself, I am fast approaching 30 and I can&#39;t pull the all nighters like I used to. When I finish this dissertation I am done with the late nights! I will probably still have a bunch of travelling to do though lol.

Hey Trini! Welcome neighbour!

TriniLocz
05-02-2008, 07:26 PM
[/quote]

Thank you for the welcome Bajan. I&#39;ve been lurking for a couple months now and needless to say, LOVE your locs! Definitely aspiring for your thinkness!!! I saw from your pics you were playin&#39; mas!!!! Sigh....nothing like back home... Good luck with the Masters. I start mine in September... :unsure:

janelporter
05-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Janelp- Girl I am slowing down myself, I am fast approaching 30 and I can&#39;t pull the all nighters like I used to. When I finish this dissertation I am done with the late nights! I will probably still have a bunch of travelling to do though lol.

[/b]

hey bje: LOL @ fast approaching 30! you are such a baby--i&#39;m 48 this year in august and there are some days when i definitely feel it! although in my head i&#39;m not a day over 25--i think it&#39;s a cruel joke that we are able to think young but our bodies can&#39;t continue to act young LOL. i hate to tell ya, but you&#39;ll still do late nights, just probably a little more spaced out.

hi trini: welcome to this forum! hugs and peace, janel

gtjamhard
05-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for confirming that I&#39;m not crazy ladies. At least not in this matter anyway ^_^

Well it&#39;s been about 6 weeks since I got my hair interlocked & I&#39;ve washed about 3-4 times and my roots are still holding up nicely. Of course my hair is super fuzzy, but that&#39;s fine. I was thinking I&#39;d latch every 6 weeks or so, but at this rate I think I&#39;lll be able to latch every 3mths or so. I am going to try to palm-roll my locs this weekend though. I&#39;ve noticed that since I haven&#39;t been doing anything but washing & separating, a few of them feel flat in some spots :huh: So hopefully the palm-rolling will help them bounce back to cylindrical.

bajanempress
05-07-2008, 04:04 PM
hey bje: LOL @ fast approaching 30! you are such a baby--i&#39;m 48 this year in august and there are some days when i definitely feel it! although in my head i&#39;m not a day over 25--i think it&#39;s a cruel joke that we are able to think young but our bodies can&#39;t continue to act young LOL. i hate to tell ya, but you&#39;ll still do late nights, just probably a little more spaced out.

hi trini: welcome to this forum! hugs and peace, janel
[/b]

LOL I know what you mean! I am not sure where the last 10 years went! I am still 19 in my mind!

Thanks for confirming that I&#39;m not crazy ladies. At least not in this matter anyway ^_^

Well it&#39;s been about 6 weeks since I got my hair interlocked & I&#39;ve washed about 3-4 times and my roots are still holding up nicely. Of course my hair is super fuzzy, but that&#39;s fine. I was thinking I&#39;d latch every 6 weeks or so, but at this rate I think I&#39;lll be able to latch every 3mths or so. I am going to try to palm-roll my locs this weekend though. I&#39;ve noticed that since I haven&#39;t been doing anything but washing & separating, a few of them feel flat in some spots :huh: So hopefully the palm-rolling will help them bounce back to cylindrical.
[/b]

That is great that the interlocking is holding up so well- after a month or so it looks like I did nothing at all if I latch/interlock so I do envy you lol!

gtjamhard
05-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Hey all,

I just realized today that it&#39;s been almost 8wks sinceI latched my hair & honestly it doesn&#39;t look too bad right now...I don&#39;t think :blush: I&#39;ll try to post some pics in my fotki this evening & then you guys can let me know what you think. Out of curiosity though, how long do you normally wait in between retwists/latching?

P.S.- Last week made 9mths on this glorious ever-changing journey ^_^

daninonato
05-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Hello everyone!

I have 2 strand twists that will be 1 month old next tuesday and a few questions :)

First, now that they`re done, what should I do? Should I palmroll them? After years of short, loose natural hair I`ve gotten used to washing often and vigorously, so it hasn`t been a month yet and the roots have untwisted although for the most of the lenght they`re holding on just fine. I`m trying to wash just twice a week.

Also, how often should I do anything (like tightening the roots) besides washing and separating the roots (fuzzyness is ok by me, just want the locs to grow healthy)? Oh, and twist, palmroll with what? I can`t really get loc specific products because they don`t make them in Brazil; well, if it`s something really amazing I can try to buy it online. Anyway, homemade recipes are super welcome ^_^

Only problem is I twisted with a little grape seed oil to start with and it made my scalp so oily 2 days later I felt like I hasn`t washed my hair in over two weeks! I`m a bit afraid of using regular hair gel and getting residue issues :dunno:

Anyway, this thread is great!

Please help :blush:

bajanempress
05-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey all,

I just realized today that it&#39;s been almost 8wks sinceI latched my hair & honestly it doesn&#39;t look too bad right now...I don&#39;t think :blush: I&#39;ll try to post some pics in my fotki this evening & then you guys can let me know what you think. Out of curiosity though, how long do you normally wait in between retwists/latching?

P.S.- Last week made 9mths on this glorious ever-changing journey ^_^
[/b]

The most frequently I do it is every 2 weeks, but its more likely to be every 4-12 weeks, I am not regular about retwisting.

Hello everyone!

I have 2 strand twists that will be 1 month old next tuesday and a few questions :)

First, now that they`re done, what should I do? Should I palmroll them? After years of short, loose natural hair I`ve gotten used to washing often and vigorously, so it hasn`t been a month yet and the roots have untwisted although for the most of the lenght they`re holding on just fine. I`m trying to wash just twice a week.

Also, how often should I do anything (like tightening the roots) besides washing and separating the roots (fuzzyness is ok by me, just want the locs to grow healthy)? Oh, and twist, palmroll with what? I can`t really get loc specific products because they don`t make them in Brazil; well, if it`s something really amazing I can try to buy it online. Anyway, homemade recipes are super welcome ^_^

Only problem is I twisted with a little grape seed oil to start with and it made my scalp so oily 2 days later I felt like I hasn`t washed my hair in over two weeks! I`m a bit afraid of using regular hair gel and getting residue issues :dunno:

Anyway, this thread is great!

Please help :blush:
[/b]

Hey there! It sounds like you are doing well with your locks! You can palmroll to maintain if you like, that is what I do. I have tried latching but its not for me.

How often you retwist is entirely up to, I would separate after every wash.

I don&#39;t use lock specific products, I wash with regular shampoo and use regular conditioner, I am just careful to wash it out completely to avoid build up. I retwist with a clear gel (Pantene for curly hair) although aloe gel or pure aloe can be used. Sometimes I just retwist with olive oil.

When I wash and don&#39;t retwist (which is most of the time) I separate and seal in moisture with Olive oil. I hope this helps!

daninonato
05-22-2008, 11:52 PM
The most frequently I do it is every 2 weeks, but its more likely to be every 4-12 weeks, I am not regular about retwisting.
Hey there! It sounds like you are doing well with your locks! You can palmroll to maintain if you like, that is what I do. I have tried latching but its not for me.

How often you retwist is entirely up to, I would separate after every wash.

I don&#39;t use lock specific products, I wash with regular shampoo and use regular conditioner, I am just careful to wash it out completely to avoid build up. I retwist with a clear gel (Pantene for curly hair) although aloe gel or pure aloe can be used. Sometimes I just retwist with olive oil.

When I wash and don&#39;t retwist (which is most of the time) I separate and seal in moisture with Olive oil. I hope this helps!
[/b]

Thank you so much, bajanempress! I`m going to try the olive oil :)

BTW your hair is really beautiful :clap:

bajanempress
05-26-2008, 01:33 AM
Thank you so much, bajanempress! I`m going to try the olive oil :)

BTW your hair is really beautiful :clap:
[/b]

Thanks and good luck!

gtjamhard
05-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey ladies,

I decided to be brave this weekend & curled my locs for the first time. Have a look & let me know what you think. And no... I haven&#39;t retwisted yet. I&#39;m curious to see how long I can go for ^_^

Well, any-who..here are the pics Curled Loc Pics (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/may-2008--august-2008/)

naturalcd
06-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Hey everyone!!

I have been in lurk mode but today I celebrate 9mos today! Hopefully I will be able to get a camera sometime this fall so that I can keep a progress of my journey.

Side note, I know my hair is locking deep down inside but I am wondering where the length and hang time will come. No, I&#39;m not length obsessed, just curious because my ends are sealing and there is a little less fuzziness before and they have swelled a bit.

Any thoughts about an approximate time period when shrinking lessens and hang time stays after the washes?

Thanks! :wub:

@Mikie- great job with the curls, very lovely!

bajanempress
06-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Hey Mikie! I missed that you&#39;d posted your curls! Very nice :)

NaturalCD- congrats on reaching 9 months!

I probably am not the best guage because my hair takes a long time to lock as I have pointed out in my fotki and you can see by the sheer volume of new growth that I have.

I was still experiencing shrinkage up to a year or so after I started locking but Iguess at about 18 months in is probably when they stopped swelling and shrinking so massively and started to hang.

naturalcd
06-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Cool. Thanks so much for the reply.

They are beginning to look more and more "locish"...if that&#39;s a word.... and I&#39;m very excited because my mom wants me to start her locs this December! She will be a year napptural this August...so proud of her.

These months do go by very quickly...I never regret a day that I loc&#39;d...although every once in a while I miss my loose hair. I wonder if that&#39;s normal.

C

YaYaNatural
06-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Hi Bajan :).. Hi everyone . How are yall doing . I&#39;m Back. Lol.must be tired of me coming and going. I&#39;m so tired of my loose hair, and I don&#39;t wanna go to something stupid like a perm so I&#39;m trying again with 2 strands. I need to stop playing and just leave them in. I&#39;m giving my hair too much power. Lol so I&#39;m finishing up my twist tomorrow ,I&#39;m hella tired. Ok latersssss ;)

naturalcd
06-30-2008, 05:15 AM
@YaYa, you can do this and we have your back! One of the reasons why I decided to loc is the convenience of "getting up and going" and no more detangling.

Hey everyone, I just got a fotki album so when you have the time, check me out! I will be posting regularly so tell me what you think and any advice/input is appreciated.

Love,

C

www.public.fotki.com/naturalcd

bajanempress
06-30-2008, 05:20 AM
Welcome back Yaya!

naturalcd you are looking good! I love how you have them all curly! Is that your natural hair colour? If it isn&#39;t it suits your colouring very well!

naturalcd
06-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks for stopping by the album. No, I had that color put in three weeks ago...I needed a change lol The first time it turned out it was a very bright, but nice red; I&#39;m glad it toned down a bit lol

YaYaNatural
06-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks CD and Bajan. :) Cd your hair looks really nice.
I&#39;m at Day 1 lol

giselle831
06-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Hello everyone!

It&#39;s been a REALLY long time since I&#39;ve checked this site. My daughters have me quite busy as well as working two jobs.

My girls&#39; birthday was also this month, yes both of them!! The older one turned 5 and the baby is now one. So now that things have slowed down so to speak I decided to come and say hello and let you know what&#39;s going on!!

I decided to go back to my loctician after about 5 months of not doing anything to my hair except wash and moisturize. I was going to try to maintain it myself, but punked out in the end because I just don&#39;t see myself doing it and doing it well. However, these past five months of freedom was wonderful and I am at whole new level with my locs. After the session with her I was really able to see how thin a lot of them became at the root so I have still have to be very gentle with them, and I have also combined some. I will be posting up some overdue pics on my fotki hopefully later on this evening if I don&#39;t fall asleep in my daughter&#39;s bed. :P

That&#39;s it for now!! Stay blessed!

Giselle

naturalcd
07-02-2008, 12:58 AM
@YaYa, thank you for the compliment and thanks for stopping by....the time passes by sooooo fast, seriously, before you know it you are six months into it.

C

Himanot
07-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey all, it&#39;s been a minute and a half since I visited the spot. The set that I started in February was taken down and I had the braidlocz redone about 9 weeks ago. I like this set much better. A few have started buddin&#39;.

Quick question: My husband said I may need to palm roll or finger roll the buds. I think I should probably just leave them alone and let them do their thang. I wash and retwist every two weeks. I&#39;ve wanted to start rinsing again regularly, but my hair unravels soooooooo much. I still spritz twice a day. I have a lot of new growth.... I am at a cross roads...and I&#39;m not too sure what to do. Got any ideas?

gtjamhard
07-14-2008, 03:29 PM
hey ladies,

i have a quick opinion poll question for you guys. i really want to start latching for maintenance so i contacted a sisterlocks consultant in my area. she charges $20 for the initial consultation & then tightening sessions are $20 per hr. the last time i got my locs latched it took about 2hrs so her prices don&#39;t seem ridiculously over-priced. now for the opinion part of the post. do you guys think i should go ahead & have her do the latching or suck it up & learn to DIY? thnks in advance for all the opinions i know you&#39;ll share ^_^

gtjamhard
08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
hello???? anyone out there???

well just dropping in to share the good news. next thursday will make 1yr since i started my dreads. hooray for progress & stick-to-it-iveness ^_^ hopefully i&#39;ll be able to take some pics & make a little comparison album in my fotki.

Claire76
08-13-2008, 12:10 AM
I don&#39;t know if I need a buddy, but bajanempress, you&#39;re definitely an inspiration. :blush:

*back to lurking*

Loveonly
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Hello!!!!

I think that I need a Loc Buddy!!! I just started my locs with two strand twist on August 15, 2008. The only problem that I am having now is with my scalp itching and with my hair at the roots growing and looking as if though I need a re-twist already. What can I do to help my scalp. And, I don&#39;t get my 1st re-twist until September 6th, but, my hair grows faster than others?

Peace and Blessings

Ebani aka Loveonly

giselle831
08-19-2008, 10:41 PM
hello???? anyone out there???

well just dropping in to share the good news. next thursday will make 1yr since i started my dreads. hooray for progress & stick-to-it-iveness ^_^ hopefully i&#39;ll be able to take some pics & make a little comparison album in my fotki.
[/b]

You&#39;ve been left stranded I see. I agree that her price doesn&#39;t sound ridiculous either, but see how it goes if you try DIY. If you don&#39;t think it&#39;s for you, then go ahead and get it done!

I have been trying to DIY since December and haven&#39;t gotten to it yet. I went to my loctician in June, and am procrastinating at DIY &#39;cause I am honestly scared!!!

How do I know what parts of loose hair goes with which loc, what do I use to retwist? What if doesn&#39;t look neat? I&#39;m scared to mess up!!! So, I know how you feel. But in the end, after all the boo-boos and war wounds, LOL, I&#39;m sure we&#39;ll be proud to say we did it ourselves!!

Enough blabbering from me, my pep talk is done. Good luck and let us know the progress!!

G

gtjamhard
08-21-2008, 02:26 AM
^^Thanks for the pep talk giselle :)

I haven&#39;t tried latching myself because I am scared to mess up. But it&#39;s like you said, the feeling of knowing you did it yourself is always a good thing. I have a wedding coming up next weekend so I&#39;ll be forced to do something to keep my mother-in-law from killing me <hehehe>

And speaking of trying new things, I did my first set of loc buns today :D Here&#39;s a link to the pics.
Latest Pics (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/may-2008--august-2008/)

Feel free to leave comments ^_^

giselle831
08-22-2008, 02:16 AM
^^Thanks for the pep talk giselle :)

I haven&#39;t tried latching myself because I am scared to mess up. But it&#39;s like you said, the feeling of knowing you did it yourself is always a good thing. I have a wedding coming up next weekend so I&#39;ll be forced to do something to keep my mother-in-law from killing me <hehehe>

And speaking of trying new things, I did my first set of loc buns today :D Here&#39;s a link to the pics.
Latest Pics (http://public.fotki.com/gtjamhard/2nd-attempt-at-locing/may-2008--august-2008/)

Feel free to leave comments ^_^
[/b]

I don&#39;t think I&#39;m going to try latching either. I will probably re-do them by twisting the new growth.

The buns are cute!!! I should try that style some time.

Bajan...or anyone for that matter...what&#39;s your advice for newbie DIYers? How can we &#39;guarantee&#39; a fresh looking....I can&#39;t find the word...heck y&#39;all know what I&#39;m trying to say!! :lol:

TIA

Giselle

YaYaNatural
08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi Everyone, I have been in hiding and I have good news lol, I have keep my twist in for a month. Whoop Whoop. That wasnt possible for me before. I just kinds put them in and stopped stressing about it. I have Pics in my Album, the link is in my siggy. Stop bye and tell me what u think.

gtjamhard
09-04-2008, 05:48 PM
^^Your twists are looking good YaYa. Way to go :D

Someone in another forum posted a link on how to finger-latch. I tried latching w/ a latch-hook recently & kept snagging my hair so I figured I&#39;d give it a shot. Well I watched the video & then tried it on 2 locs. The result....I absolutely love it :wub: I couldn&#39;t believe how easy it was to do. It beats trying to use a latch-hook & twisting/clipping...for me anyway. So if anyone&#39;s interested check out the video & decide for yourself:

Finger Latching Demo (http://video.fotki.com/amaninama/50583/)

P.S. - There&#39;s also a video about attaching loc jewelry Loc Jewelry (http://video.fotki.com/amaninama/50704/)

nappydeva
09-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Hello all! I&#39;m new to the napptural scene and I have a few questions from you beautifully knowledgeable nappturals!

So here&#39;s my story:

I&#39;ve always wanted to loc and originally attempted to do so back in 2006. My locnitian started me off w/ 2 starnd twists- and at the time, I still had a head full of chemical fire cream. I wanted to start my journey w/o bc&#39;ing- just figured I&#39;d get the two strands, and clip the ends as I went. These are the first set of twists:

http://guestbooks.fotki.com/twistiema/public/

However, being the impatient person that I was, and also listening to friends who sayed that I looked a mess with my new natural do- after 1 month I took my twists out, relaxed and went thru with the "lyes" yet again. ~~sighs~~

Fast forward to May 2007. I relaxed my hair this month for the last time. In August I begun my transition by wearing micro&#39;s. I wore those for six months: September thru December and January thru March. When I took the micros out- I chopped off three inches of relaxed ends and moved from there.

I wanted the freedom of getting to know my natural hair in all it&#39;s beauty and splendor- so I became an extreme pj trying different products to maintain my twa and twist-outs, only to become discouraged yet again. I was so discouraged because my hair is so thick and coarse and I really couldn&#39;t find anything to soften it.
I documented the new journey here:

http://public.fotki.com/nappydeva/

So I told myself that now would be a great time to revisit my locs. Primarily because it had become so time consuming re-twisting my hair every three days and expensive trying to find products to keep my hair soft, like if I wore a puff--the puff would feel brittle and dry.

My locnitian two stranded me yet again on 9/6/08- and so far so good!
The thing is though-- some of my twist seem to be unraveling and I have my hands in my hair constantly re-twirling them. Any suggestions on what I could do in-between appointments (I go monthly) to keep my twist neat and not fuzzy looking? And what do u guys suggest about dryness? It&#39;s still to early out yet for me to wash or condition--so what should I do?

I suppose a loc-buddy would be in order as I am unsure of what to do! :unsure:

bajanempress
09-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Ladies, I must apologise for my absence but I&#39;ve got about a month left to complete my PhD program and so I am swamped. I will try to return to checking this regularly in November.

Himanot
10-04-2008, 10:48 PM
^^^^ Good Luck, sis!!!!

solide
11-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Hey :D --just coming through. Just finished my two strands on Sunday and I&#39;m ready to roll :lol: This past summer I tried to loc, but it wasn&#39;t the right time for me. I look forward to loc &#39;stalking&#39; to maintain my locs. One issue I have is trying to retwist these pre-lockies...What are some ways that you feel made it easier to tackle this, albeit going to the salon to maintain, extra help, products, patience, and etc? :unsure:

gtjamhard
11-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey :D --just coming through. Just finished my two strands on Sunday and I&#39;m ready to roll :lol: This past summer I tried to loc, but it wasn&#39;t the right time for me. I look forward to loc &#39;stalking&#39; to maintain my locs. One issue I have is trying to retwist these pre-lockies...What are some ways that you feel made it easier to tackle this, albeit going to the salon to maintain, extra help, products, patience, and etc? :unsure:
[/b]

I started off by going to th salon, but wasn&#39;t too pleased w/ the results so I decided to be brave & try it on my own.

The first time I retwisted used Jamaican Mango & Lime Loc Gel. I twisted & then just used metal clips to hold them in place. I kept asking my husband how it looked & after about 15 times I was convinced it was going alright <hehehe>

After a few DIY retwists I found another salon & had a go w/ them. The results were good so I did that a few times. Unfortunately I had to cut them off after a de-fuzzing session.

Since then I&#39;ve had 3 interlocking sessions on various trips to Jamaica & I recently learned to finger latch so that&#39;s how I plan to maintain from here on out.

Hopefully you ffind some of this info helpful :D Good luck w/ whatever route you decide to take.

solide
11-18-2008, 02:33 AM
^^^ Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. I tried retwisting a few, and its working..but the Jamaican Mango Lime is kinda flaky..I will try aloe vera soon.

ishereal
11-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Newbie locer here. I just two strand my hair and ummm now what?!?! lol

Catsy
11-29-2008, 12:05 AM
I&#39;m interested in using the two strand twist method for starting my locks, but I want my locks to be small is this a good method or should I try bradelocz? Also is latching the better method to use on the roots or is the twisting method okay? Thanks.

Dramajcs
12-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Hey ladies. I have finally decided to lock after two years of contemplating it. I will be starting with two strand twists since that is what I usually wear in my hair anyway...Needless to say, this is such a commitment and I am soooo nervous about this change. I have spoken to so many people asking for their pinions and I get mixed reactions. Some people love locks other say "your hair will look dirty". Now,... :wub: I&#39;m not a dirty woman, so my hair will NEVER "look dirty" I need some encouragement from anyone please. I really feel good about this but others opinions do count... :wub:

solide
12-11-2008, 04:46 AM
^^^With everything in life there will be haters, naysayers..just do what makes you happy. In general, if we keep living on what we think others think, we&#39;re not truly living...

But I think you will be find, surround yourself with supporters along your journey:)...

Dramajcs
12-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I did it!!! I started my locks. BTW ^^^^...thanx for the advice and encouragement. I know what I want and locs are it!!!! I 2 strand twisted using the loc butter from Carol&#39;s Daughters and Murray loc gel (very lite btw) can I wet my hair in the shower or do I need to wear a shower cap? My hair just looks so flat now compared to how it looked when I would twist it without product. I like the puffy twists. What do I do in the mornings when its flat from my scarf?? If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. :)

gtjamhard
12-22-2008, 07:01 PM
I did it!!! I started my locks. BTW ^^^^...thanx for the advice and encouragement. I know what I want and locs are it!!!! I 2 strand twisted using the loc butter from Carol&#39;s Daughters and Murray loc gel (very lite btw) can I wet my hair in the shower or do I need to wear a shower cap? My hair just looks so flat now compared to how it looked when I would twist it without product. I like the puffy twists. What do I do in the mornings when its flat from my scarf?? If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. :)
[/b]

Congrats on taking the big step :) When I first got my twists I&#39;d let my hair get wet in the shower & that helped to plump the twists up. Since it&#39;s cold now you might want to just spritz w/ some water to get the same effect. Some mornings I just wet my hands & run them through my hair & that seems to get rid of the "flat bed-head" look. Hope that helps :)

gtjamhard
02-07-2009, 03:58 PM
hey ladies,

it&#39;s been a while so just checking in to see how everyone&#39;s progressing.

i got my locs latched over the christmas holiday & they came out wonderfully. i love my sister for putting up w/ me :D and about 2 wks ago i put in some pipecleaner curls that came out fabulously. unfortunatey i haven&#39;t taken any pics so... but the plan for today is to deep condition w/ some aloe & do a good wash job. well, that&#39;s about all the updates i have...

DaBlackLady
02-14-2009, 04:09 PM
I&#39;ve began to lurk on this thread. =O

I started my locks almost 3 months ago and now my hair&#39;s being rather unruly. Half of my head is full of swelling locks, mostly in the middle. No matter what I do they won&#39;t listen to me. I guess I have no choice but to let them do their thing. Is there anything I could do to somehow combat this? Maybe I should put up some pictures of some sort.

BTW, Bajanempress has been an inspiration for me since I randomly saw her name on a post almost a year ago.

gtjamhard
03-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I&#39;ve began to lurk on this thread. =O

I started my locks almost 3 months ago and now my hair&#39;s being rather unruly. Half of my head is full of swelling locks, mostly in the middle. No matter what I do they won&#39;t listen to me. I guess I have no choice but to let them do their thing. Is there anything I could do to somehow combat this? Maybe I should put up some pictures of some sort.

BTW, Bajanempress has been an inspiration for me since I randomly saw her name on a post almost a year ago.
[/b]

from personal experience, there&#39;s nothing you can do to combat the swelling. ur best bet is probably to just let them be.

NappyGlory
03-16-2009, 02:18 AM
I did 2 strand twists last night. I kept stopping trying to figure out if I was making them big enough and wondering about the parts. I decided to leave it be and just see what happens and accept it. The hardest part for me so far is going to be keeping my hands out of them. When should I start latch hooking the roots?

gtjamhard
03-22-2009, 07:29 PM
I did 2 strand twists last night. I kept stopping trying to figure out if I was making them big enough and wondering about the parts. I decided to leave it be and just see what happens and accept it. The hardest part for me so far is going to be keeping my hands out of them. When should I start latch hooking the roots?
[/b]

i&#39;m no expert, but from what i&#39;ve read & beentold..you can start latching the roots as soon as you have enough new growth to do a complete pattern (4-pt rotation, 2pt rotation or whatever you decide to go w/).

DaBlackLady
03-25-2009, 03:14 AM
from personal experience, there&#39;s nothing you can do to combat the swelling. ur best bet is probably to just let them be.
[/b]

Thank you. My mother keeps complaining about them, wanting me to find ways to "neaten" them up for church. I like the funky, swelling look they have going on. :P

gtjamhard
03-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Thank you. My mother keeps complaining about them, wanting me to find ways to "neaten" them up for church. I like the funky, swelling look they have going on. :P
[/b]

ha, that&#39;s too funny :lol: my mom gave me some similar comments over christmas. "so why do they look so fuzzy???" parents..what can you do ^_^

Ladyjoe
03-29-2009, 12:02 AM
[/b]

I am locking also, I twisted my hair last Sunday. I&#39;ve been natural for three years but didn&#39;t want to loc, but like you I am ready. Let&#39;s be loc buddies! :D

rabia
04-22-2009, 02:37 PM

[/b]

rabia
04-22-2009, 02:48 PM
:D :D my name is rabia, i am in need of advice and support. i am trying to start the lovking process, my hair texture is thin fine soft and curly. i had them started by several different locticans and the end reseult was thateach time i ended up shaving them off. i am now attempting to start them myself. i use the two strand twist. my hair being my hair it unravels easily and i am twisting it more often. i am getting frustrated,but, i will not give up or give in. thanx sis, i look forward to hearing from you. peace, rabia :D :D

ronnie771
08-20-2009, 07:47 PM
:help: Hello there. My name is Sharon & I KNOW I can use a buddy right now. I started my process on July 29, 2009. I currently have comb coils in my hair. The stylist used the Ampro Pro Styl Protein Styling Gel used in salons (didn&#39;t see what the shampoo was!). Friends with locs of their own have told me to oil my hair (olive oil, essential oil & water mix) to keep it moisturized. I&#39;m currently using Mango & Lime Sproil. Is this alright since I&#39;m just starting out or should I just not put anything in my hair between washings til it locs?

gmc4eva
08-22-2009, 12:52 AM
I started in January. I started my locs with comb coils and I&#39;m going to go to a latching method with a new loctician. I&#39;m scared there will b a noticiable different in size with the twisted part and the latched part. I&#39;m so anxious I hope I don&#39;t mess my baby locs up. Any suggestions.

bajanempress
08-22-2009, 02:29 AM
I started in January. I started my locs with comb coils and I&#39;m going to go to a latching method with a new loctician. I&#39;m scared there will b a noticeable different in size with the twisted part and the latched part. I&#39;m so anxious I hope I don&#39;t mess my baby locs up. Any suggestions.
[/b]

I think in time the initial difference in size won&#39;t matter. I have finger-latched my hair occasionally and while the latched portion was thinner in appearance initially than the rest of the lock after a wash it was usually alright. People who latch more regularly may have a better response for you however.

Good luck!

gmc4eva
08-22-2009, 10:19 PM
thanks. im gonna just go all in and see what happens. kinda exciting kinda scary.

izatrini
09-05-2009, 11:57 PM
I got comb coils today. My beautician (who has locs) did them for me. She shampooed and conditioned then twisted my 2 inch hair with brown gel. She then put me under the dryer for about 20 minutes and sprayed some oil sheen on it. She said that it should last at minimum 2 weeks before it needs to be retwisted but that I can do it myself with gel and my fingers.

Do I have to do anything else to maintain them until they need to be twisted again?

Miss Concrete Jungle
10-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey!

I started my own locs with TSTs on Aug 15th, and though I've made a lot of great progress I've had some minor setbacks as well. I'm particularly looking for a latching buddy because I'm having a few issues getting used to it, and I'm also considering interlocking my locs that will not stay twisted. I have to wash every week, so I'm pretty sure that's why I'm having unraveling issues, but I'm starting to get frustrated (i know i shouldn't but i just don't want to jack up my head)..anyone who's experienced with latching and willing to be my buddy, please do PM me :)