PDA

View Full Version : Ok Now I Know I Wont Use Heat Anymore...

soussoune
03-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Yesterday I went to a salon that Kandy reffered to me to get my hair pressed with a flat iron. So I got my hair washed by a guy (I can do a better job for sure). The owner's daughter blew dried and flat iron my hair but she was so hard on my hair! Well I know that I have very thick and nappy hair..but she was brushing it so harshly!! After seeing how bad she was to detangle my hair I detangled my hair by myself and let her flat iron my hair. That girl and her mother did not seem to understand when how someone can love her natural hair and not wanting it to be straight or change its texture permanently. So all along I was thinking about Deecoily thread on heat and saying to myself: should I leave and avoid not let my hair go through those heating tools??

...well I stayed :doh After my hair was done, some people in the salon were telling me to come more often to keep my hair this way as it looked better (for them). For sure I won't come back cause I see how much damage I caused to my hair just because of curious to see how my hair would look straight. Although my hair looks nice now, I dont think it's worth it to use any kind of heat on my hair. Ive been growing my natural hair for about 14 month and its starting to be the length that I am aiming for so it would hurt me if I would have recut it again.

JustKei
03-25-2004, 05:51 PM
For sure I won't come back cause I see how much damage I caused to my hair just because of curious to see how my hair would look straight.

Hmmmm...... curiousity kills the cat.....

ValleyOfDecision
03-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by JustKei@Mar 25 2004, 12:51 PM

For sure I won't come back cause I see how much damage I caused to my hair just because of curious to see how my hair would look straight.

For REAL. :nohuh :nohuh

Glad you learned from this mistake.

netta1
03-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Yep a lot of folks have had probs with heat, thus the warning from Dee was given. Next time I'd say listen to your instinct and don't go there.

reminds me of story....

A few weeks ago a good friend of mine wanted to press my hair out before she braided it. I guess she was thinking that it would make her job easier, mind you this women was natural too. Anyway I gave her a firm "NO" and asked her about blowing out my fro instead. She tried to tell me this and that about my naps really pushing this "warm comb thing" , she even told me my naps would come back just fine. Let me tell you I was about to put my coat back on if we couldn't come to a safe solution. Anyway to make a long story short I ended up saying "NO" to blow out too cause I just didn't want to take the chance. I combed my hair out WITH A PLASTIC COMB NOT A PRESSING COMB! And let me tell you I didn't even want to do that on my dry hair. I made sure I combed it out with a really thick cream moisturiser, but at least I stayed away from that "warm comb" and heat period. Like I said....NEXT TIME RUN!

lovelyone
03-25-2004, 06:15 PM
Glad you learned from your experience. :blab

mrandmrsmer
03-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Folks always want YOU to accomodate THEM - make it easier for THEM, keep the hair straight so it can look good to THEM.

I'm glad you learned from your experience, soussoune, and will not return to that place.

I used to press my naps before getting individual braid extensions placed in my hair, too, but since I stopped wearing braid extensions, I haven't had to worry about it, and if I ever decide to get braid extensions in my hair again, I won't press it. I'll just have to comb it out, and the braider will have to work with it!

Maestradiva77
03-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by lovelyone@Mar 25 2004, 12:15 PM
Glad you learned from your experience. :blab
I agree.

soussoune
03-26-2004, 12:14 AM
Yes I am definitely learning...Now I get comliments from people on how my hair look but I dont really like it because it seems weird plsu it's very humid.

MY aunt said today that I am regaining my beauty! I dont know whta she meant exactly...did she insunuate that I was not beautiful with my nappy hair??? I am so frustrated from this kind of mentality. People are so brain wahsed!

j4_jasmine
03-26-2004, 12:38 AM
Oh yeah - I can relate to the pain, chile! The salon experience is supposed to be relaxing but when they break out that torturous comb to clear out our hair before runing the hot comb through it - YEE-OUCH!! That can't be good for our hair or scalp.

What is it about pressed hair that makes it seem so great anyway? I think it's our society that dictates beauty=straight, manageble hair. I know I will devote myself to teaching my kids that they are beautiful just the way God made them and by remembering to ease up when I'm combing their hair:)

frohead
03-26-2004, 12:38 AM
In the beginning, I straightened my hair on three occasions. The first time, I used a flat iron, hated it, and washed my hair right away. The second time, my hair was a lot longer. I used the curling iron to straighten my hair. I wore it parted down the middle. It was so huge, because it was semi staightened and past my shoulders.No one knew that I had so much hair.The third time, I let my sister blowdry it. She wanted to put the hot comb on it , but I would not let her. Afterwards, I used the "bumper" curling iron to curl and straighten it a little more. We all agreed that I looked better with my nappy hair. Every time I did it, because I was bored and wanted to see what it would look like. I am so over that. I will never put a hot anything near my hair again!(unless it's a hot oil treatment!)

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.

Natural Kinks
03-26-2004, 03:08 AM
Glad that you learned as well and hopefully your naps will snap completely back.

allsmiles
03-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience and I hope your naps snap right back in place.

curliefro
03-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by JustKei@Mar 25 2004, 12:51 PM

Famous last words before the hair falls out or is straightened beyond repair "....just this once", "...just wanted to see the length", ".....just a little heat, natural straightener" LOL!
Glad you shared your experience to scare off others who might do this

pookeylou
03-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Note to self...heat fries the moisture in the cortex of the hair and causes it to boil, crackle and pop...that is why you smell smoke and see steam. Eventually it melts the outer shaft of the hair which will eventually cause it to crack and break off.