PDA

View Full Version : Microbraids

KnottyAuthor
03-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I started with teeeeeny braids,about 400 bc i wanted to see what my sister locks would look like. Well, I never did get those sl's installed. After doing my hair alll weekend for 18 hours I was NOT going to take them out the next weekend for my appt. :P :blush: .

So, I cancelled my appt, lost my deposit and the rest is history....microbraidlocks it is and locks they are now 20months later. I'm here. Holla!

Latched locks can be smoothed by spritzing, then smoothing with aloe vera gel. pinch and smooth with the fingers, THEN latch. here's some great instructions. btw youtube can be your best friend. the instructions have truely evolved over the years and there's great info and pictorials everywhere.

latching: sewing or crocheting the hair at the point of newgrowth
adv. hair will stay in place
disadv.personal preference, i find no disadv. if you know how to work it right to get what you want. for ex. i only use aloe to smooth at the edges, so i still get a neat look.using a tool MAY be cumbersome. tools to use: safety pin, hair pin, fingers, crochet hook, nappy locs tool, sl tool and many others i'm sure

twisting: twisting newgrwth,usually followed by palm rolling the lock
adv. smooth appearance for 1- 2 days
disadv. will unravel until hair locks into pattern formation

helpful instructional links on latching
http://links.fotki.com/cheleski/

Daughter-of-Diaspora
03-02-2008, 11:32 AM
When you combine, are you latching them together?

Have you noticed any thinning?

What do you use to condition?

What's you daily routine and style?

I'll wait for answers b4 I ask more :P

KnottyAuthor
03-02-2008, 12:36 PM
no thinning, have you? maybe we can compare notes.I may twist them around one another at the base, then begin the point rotation latch

i've been using Black Earth Products conditioner..then castoroil/olive oil for the past 2 months and it's made alot of difference. I still spritz with aloe juice .

at night and morning i'm running my hands through and wetting it /just to dampen and activate the curls, then i run the castor/olive mix and message. at night, i still pull back in a loose scrunchi and put my satin scarf on. that's it. for styling it's mostly loose and down because I wear a hat all day.

hth...let me know if you have any tips that's working well for you 2. i'm am LOVIN the castor oil.

mscocontxus
03-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Are you going to continually do the combining? If I understand everything that I read, you'll be doing it every 6-10 months or so. Interesting, I love the versatility of locks.

Personally, I love the thickness I'm gaining as time goes on. I'd prefer them not to condense but I know they will.

KnottyAuthor
03-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Are you going to continually do the combining? If I understand everything that I read, you'll be doing it every 6-10 months or so. Interesting, I love the versatility of locks.

Personally, I love the thickness I'm gaining as time goes on. I'd prefer them not to condense but I know they will.
[/b]

every 6-10 mos is the average-so far. it all depends on how they've expanded and the base I need. If what I've done so far is enough for my present population, I'll stop...only time will tell because I cant imagine latching all these things when I get older-it's fine for now-but as career and life demands change-i'm glad i have options, and starting small has given that to me. there's alot of people 'splitting' and i could not imagine doing that!

You may be done condensing. when i got to 10 mos, the length began...so you may be in luck!

senoj2
03-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I am really wanting me some microcraid locs. I like the look of SisterLocks, but cannot afford them.

I usually wear my hair in mini braids, not micro braids.
But I can do it.

Cheleski68, you say you have about 400 in your head?

How long did it take to put them in?

That is about twice as many as I usually do.

But that is the look I want.

I'm thinking if I do them that small, then it will take me a good week to do .

Probably in the next week I'll get them done.

I'll be back with so many questions.

southernbelllle
03-12-2008, 03:14 PM
i started with microbraids, but im also semi-freeforming and am trying not to combine any if necessary. figuring that low to no maintenance will not make the lock weaker, the chances of combining will be slim if none.

Koala_Tee
03-12-2008, 07:58 PM
im startin with micro braids as well
my ends are curly
i spritz them every morning with h20 and EVOO
somtimes my ends seem to get tangled
should i untangle them?

southernbelllle
03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
only if you dont wont them to combine. if you feel them mesh together just pop/break them apart. doing this after washing while the hairs still damp is effective and what most people who freeform usually do.

Koala_Tee
03-14-2008, 02:55 PM
another question::

my braids (the stem) are gettin fuzzy....
do i leave them alone?

KnottyAuthor
03-15-2008, 08:57 AM
I am really wanting me some microcraid locs. I like the look of SisterLocks, but cannot afford them.

I usually wear my hair in mini braids, not micro braids.
But I can do it.

Cheleski68, you say you have about 400 in your head?

How long did it take to put them in?

That is about twice as many as I usually do.

But that is the look I want.
I'm thinking if I do them that small, then it will take me a good week to do .

Probably in the next week I'll get them done.

I'll be back with so many questions.
[/b]

hmm....sorry...i didnt get any email notices that there were new posts
it took 18 hours-from friday pm to sat night

im startin with micro braids as well
my ends are curly
i spritz them every morning with h20 and EVOO
somtimes my ends seem to get tangled
should i untangle them?
[/b]

with your fingers, it's fine to untangle the individual braids-but leave the ends alone so they can seal....if they ever do

another question::

my braids (the stem) are gettin fuzzy....
do i leave them alone?
[/b]

please-shhhhh-they're locking let them b ;)

good questions! read my blog-it really will address alot of your concerns-make sure you go back to august 2006!

Koala_Tee
03-15-2008, 12:01 PM
hmm....sorry...i didnt get any email notices that there were new posts
it took 18 hours-from friday pm to sat night
with your fingers, it's fine to untangle the individual braids-but leave the ends alone so they can seal....if they ever do
please-shhhhh-they're locking let them b ;)

good questions! read my blog-it really will address alot of your concerns-make sure you go back to august 2006!
[/b]

thanks thats what i thought.....for some reason i love my fuzzy braids... it add character to my hair...

off to revisit ur blog

Babybee
04-15-2008, 10:33 PM
I started my braidlocks in July of 07' with hair that was 10 to 12 inches long. Now the one thing that U noticed is that my kitchen area has completely locked however everywhere else my ends are still not sealed which I am accustomed to. Now the one thing that is beginning to bug me is that the I can see the braided pattern in a lot of my locs, and the braid pattern is loose or has kind of opened up. \

My hair has bunched so bad in some parts that it went from a nine inch braid loc to a 2 inch loc with a knopt at the end. I know about the budding process but these honestly didn't look like buds and from what I have seen my hair do in a prior locing experinece, I strecthed one back out and the end actually popped off needless to say I have stopped doing that. :lol:

I thought I saw a post somewhere with you talking about undoing the briaded part and twisting the hair up to the start of the non braided part? Or am I crazy?

I am at a crossroads right now so any advice is appreciated. :D

KnottyAuthor
04-19-2008, 10:41 AM
hi at my 13th month I opened up the braid-but it wasnt a solution because it lengthened the lock again for a moment in time, then it went through the locking process ALL over again, budding, bunching, condensing everything and it's quite a different thickness than the original lock, it bugs me.

so the solution? the jury is still out. i must wait while it changes.here's the link

http://public.fotki.com/cheleski/20-on-up&...n/photo113.html (http://public.fotki.com/cheleski/20-on-up!-moving-on/photo113.html)

http://public.fotki.com/cheleski68/2nd-year/13th-month/

All_Praises_2_Yah
05-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi do you think it would work to microbraid 1/3 of the length to start it, and then two strand twist the remaining 2/3?

KnottyAuthor
05-05-2008, 10:24 PM
u can do it anyway you want to..if twisted, it WILL swell up more..i'm dealing with that now as i undid some at my 1yr mark. they are phatter than the other part and expand more than if they were in a lattice

also be aware, that you will have to strengthen the base sooner to support the lock....thats the adv of microbraids. the braid will 'fight' to form a wall to hold the shed hairs that become the lock...2 strands will swell quite a bit. it's all good-just be aware of your options

~GAN~
05-06-2008, 02:12 PM
<span style="font-family:arial">I hope this isn&#39;t looked down upon or anything....but the reason why I wanted to start sisterlocks is because i can start now with my re.laxed ends. Can I do the same thing with microbraid locs? It would be so much cheaper for me and I can get them done quicker rather than waiting till the end of the month for my appt. Plus, I could re tighten them myself. I don&#39;t want to offend anyone or anything, but I&#39;m not ready to chop yet and I&#39;d rather cut little by little. I left a message for you in your fotki album but in case you see this one sooner, I thought I&#39;d ask here too! :)

ETA: I have about 3-4 inches of new growth and about 2-3 inches of permed ends.
</span>

mscocontxus
05-06-2008, 07:32 PM
goingallnatural:

You can do that, but you should be aware that they may look a little scraggly when compared to the non chemically treated new growth. In the end it will have to be cut I&#39;m sure...

let us know what you decide!

KnottyAuthor
05-06-2008, 08:55 PM
I&#39;ve seen a few people start that way here, no one likes them after a 2 or more weeks...the 2 textures, matting and budding with the relaxed ends are just not cute.....sorry

you can start with latched locks/somewhat like sl&#39;s and keep the ends...just know the same thing may happen.

yes,let us know!

~GAN~
05-06-2008, 10:15 PM
<span style="font-family:arial">Ok, thank you for being honest! I&#39;m gonna go with the sisterlocks then! I moved it up to next week instead of the end of the month! I&#39;m so excited about this! Thanks for your help guys!!!</span>

KnottyAuthor
05-07-2008, 01:08 AM
scroll down T&#39;s blog on the right. she catagorized how people started..got to perm starts.....that will keep you bsy lurking for a while! glad to help!

http://goodnapps.blogspot.com/