PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Bsl Challenge Members...

Napia Mia
03-05-2008, 11:09 PM
And What's Your Routine?

When I first started the challenge back in December, I just wanted some company on my quest to reach my hair goal of having BSL hair. Now I'm really hoping that it can be an inspirational thread, where anyone can go and see the fruits of our efforts to maintain and grow longer nappy hair.

So now, this has me thinking about how to supplement that thread with information about how we either got to where we are and what we're doing to reach BSL. If you're in the challenge, you're obviously doing something right to maintain your length or you wouldn't be within striking distance of being able to meet the goal of getting to BSL within this next year.

(I&#39;ll answer in a separate post) [/b] </span> Please answer the following: </span>

1) How long did you transition?

2) When did you BC?

3) How long was your hair (if you remember) after you BCd?

4) What types of products or ingredients did your hair respond well to after you went fully natural?

5) If you started from a TWA what was your care routine as a short haired nappy? (Skip this one if this doesn&#39;t apply)

6) Throughout your journey, how has your product choices and care and maintence routine evolved as you gained length?

7) What is are your current products of choice and describe your current routine or regimine.

8) Have you ever had any length set backs? How did you pin point what the problem(s) was/were and how did you currect it/them.

9) Do you have any advice for other nappies who want to grow longer hair?

Thanks ladies! For everyone&#39;s convenience here are the related links:

* Original BSL Challenge Thread (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=110021)

* BSL Challenge — Part II (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113590&st=0)

BrnNappyGrl
03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Miss Nicole P
Current length: about 2.5 inches above BSL (I promise to get batteries soon, but I&#39;m in the process of moving, so my life s hectic)

1) How long did you transition? roughly about One year, maybe about 18 months

2) When did you BC? January 5-May 21, 2007 (I cut the first of my microbraids out on my birthday and let it grow until I felt comfortable cutting the rest out, which ended up being on May 21st)

3) How long was your hair (if you remember) after you BCd? Roughly about 3.5 inches or so?

4) What types of products or ingredients did your hair respond well to after you went fully natural? My hair loves coconut oil and butters. It screams and speaks in tongues when I get water based moisturizers, and cowashing is a girl&#39;s best friend.

5) If you started from a TWA what was your care routine as a short haired nappy? (Skip this one if this doesn&#39;t apply)

6) Throughout your journey, how has your product choices and care and maintenance routine evolved as you gained length? I am much more gentle with my hair now, only detangling when it&#39;s soaking wet and coated with a nice, thick conditioner. I also try not to let my hair be loose and wet at the same time. I&#39;ve finally figured out what hairstyles work for me (protective styles 99.98% of the time). I&#39;m moving towards using more natural products (anxious to try Oyin Handmade and Qhemet Biologics), and using only organic oils when my hair needs them. I also take Biotin, a multivitamin and B Complex every other day in addition to drinking 3-4 L of water per day.

7) What is are your current products of choice and describe your current routine or regimen. Products of choice: Suave Tropical Coconut for cowashing and Professionals Humectant mixed with Vitamin E Oil and Honey for deep conditioners. Current regimen: cowash every 2 weeks with Suave Tropical coconut, using Creme of Nature shampoo once per month if needed to remove build up. I deep condition with every wash, usually overnight with the Suave Humectant mixed with coconut oil, honey and a dash of Vitamin E Oil, generally detangling while one of the Suave concoctions are on my hair. For styles, I generally stay in one protective style or another for 26-27 days out of the month, and only come out of those styles when it&#39;s time to wash and detangle. Other than that, healthy diet, water and vitamins are the only other things I do.

8) Have you ever had any length set backs? How did you pin point what the problem was and how did you currect them. One setback came when I allowed my hair to become dry while it was loose. I ended up pulling a pretty decent plug of hair out. I now make sure to keep my hair at least damp so that it doesn&#39;t tangle like that anymore.

9) Do you have any advice for anyone who for other nappies who want to grow longer hair? Best piece of advice I ever received: be patient! Hair grows, that&#39;s what it does. Your job, should you chose to accept it, is to take as good care of it as possible. Moisture is your friend, so use it. Hydrate your hair from the inside out and it will show you how much it appreciates your efforts by growing like wildfire.

Napia Mia
03-06-2008, 01:40 AM
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/262213791_dQPir-S.jpg

Started off with micros. Wore them for 3 years with no break.

2) When did you BC?
After about 8 months of new growth, I let a beautician cut off what was left of my relaxed ends and promptly slapped my braids back in. Wore them intermittently in year four, alternating between nap torturing p.ress &#39;n curls and experimenting with two-strand twists.

About 4 inches

4) What types of products or ingredients did your hair respond well to after you went fully natural?
After I stopped wearing braids some time towards the end of year 4, I discovered Nappturality and learned about water and glycerine based products and non sulfate shampoos. I tried a couple of different products before I tried out Carefree Curl and Wave Nuveau curl moisturizing products, which my hair loved. I also tried out several really heavy products including Isoplus&#39; Dreads, Locks and Twist Moulding Creme. It was aight, but is very heavy and I grew tired of using the product. I eventually stumbled upon my holy grail product — Pro Line Lite Creme Moisturizer. I still use it today because it gives me consistent moisturizing results.

As far as shampoos go, I gravitated toward the Aubrey Organics and JASON lines. I used their companion conditioners for dry hair.

5) If you started from a TWA what was your care routine as a short haired nappy? (Skip this one if this doesn&#39;t apply) N/A

6) Throughout your journey, how has your product choices and care and maintence routine evolved as you gained length?

Moisturizing (http://nappyme.wordpress.com/hair-facts/moisture-nappy-hairs-best-friend/)
I stopped using the Pro Line product for awhile because I&#39;m cheap; the price went up and the tube got smaller. So I started using and discovered that almost any water and glycerine based moisturizer will do what I need it to do. During the winter months I&#39;ve mixed jojoba oil in with my products to make it a little heavier. This winter has been murder on my hair so I&#39;ve become somewhat of a product junkie trying to find something that will help my hair sustain moisture. A lot of things worked but had no staying power so I bit the bullet and purchased a tube of the Pro Line and dang if my hair isn&#39;t back to it&#39;s old self again.

7) What is are your current products of choice and describe your current routine or regimine.
See above with regard to current moisturizing product.

My routine is simple. I&#39;m in protective style most of the time. Last fall I wore a puff for about four weeks and then again in January. I minimize wearing my hair out because it is extremely prone to single strand knots and that just simply tears my hair up. I keep my ends dusted, which means to trim very small amounts off my ends on a fairly regular basis.

Detangling
Once my hair got to be about 9 inches long, I really had to figure out a way to minizie tangles during the cleansing process. To do so, I started off sectioning my hair and banding it prior to shampooing. ( Click here to view banding tutorial (http://nappyme.wordpress.com/category/managing-nappy-hair/shampoo-and-detangling-techniques-for-long-nappy-hair/) ). This technique really works. But now I just put my hair in big fat twists. I never take a full head of twists down and then attempt to detangle. I take them down one at a time, detangle using first my fingers and then I&#39;ll run my denman brush through each unraveled twist. I&#39;ll pin the hair out of the way to keep it stretched and then when I get enough detangled, I make a big fat twist. I usually end up with three across the front and four or five in the back.

Cleansing
I try to stick with water soluable products because I stopped using shampoo about four months ago. I currently swear by a rinse only routine, every two weeks, reasoning that the after shampoo dryness that I experience is because even the nonsulfate shampoos are too harsh on my hair. I detangle, then put my hair in big fat twists. I rinse until the water runs clear and use my fingers to lift any build up off my scalp until hair and my scalp feels clean. I take each twist down, moisturize, air dry and style.

See No Shampoo, No Conditioner Challenge Thread (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108547&st=40&p=1833658&#entry1833658) for more information.

8) Have you ever had any length set backs? How did you pin point what the problem was and how did you currect them.
Yes. Big time heat damage. Some was immediately visible as permanently straightened hair that I eventually cut out. Then last spring my hair broke off horribly across the front. I ended up getting about four inches cut off last may, which left me pretty bummed out. But the good news is it left me with a head full of really healthy hair that I had cut into a bob shape as best I could. Although traumatic, my hair was soo full and felt really, really healthy and a year later it seems to be thriving.

9) Do you have any advice for anyone who for other nappies who want to grow longer hair? There&#39;s a good reason that we admonish folks to stay away from using direct heat (http://nappyme.wordpress.com/hair-facts/heat-nappy-hairs-worse-enemy/) such as blow dryers, flat i.rons, p.ressing combs and such. Heat is the http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/00020077.gif. It&#39;s a nap killer. You can do what you want (you can&#39;t talk about it here though) but there&#39;s an entire forum dedicated to the consequences members have suffered from the results of using heat. If you want to grow your hair long, you&#39;ll stay away from it as well as other things that can deprive you of length. Bleaching your hair, constantly manipulating it, using hair cutting accessories, styling your hair too tightly...just to name a few. Learn patience. Use only healthy products and ingredients and your hair will reward you by retaining length.

See the Heat Damage Archives (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showforum=53) for more information.

GalaxyGirl2012
03-06-2008, 06:09 AM
i hope to join y&#39;all on the quest on the other side of next year. this year my goal is APL

LadyLibra
03-06-2008, 06:17 AM
sorry ladies, i won&#39;t be taking a new pic until my nappiversary. but here&#39;s my pic from the original thread:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/LadyLibra1982/fro6.jpg

4 months

2) When did you BC?
March 16th, 2005

2 inches

V05 conditioners. they are inexpensive, give good slip for detangling and perfect for co-washing. :wub: i use 50% conditioner 50% water for co-washes, and of course 100% conditioner if i&#39;m detangling. Trader Joe&#39;s Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner - the shampoo is sulfate-free and i swear i could wash my hair with it every day if i wasn&#39;t a co-washer, LOL. Wild Growth Hair Oil - it doesn&#39;t make my hair grow any faster, but it is great for locking in moisture and helping you retain length. i don&#39;t use it in summer though, it&#39;s too heavy... sometimes just on the ends if necessary. creamy leave-ins, even if they have cones in them. Afro Detangler (off the growafrohairlong.com site) is pretty good too. i like it, but my son&#39;s 4.a/4.b hair LOVES it. he has much more shrinkage than me and very tangly hair, this has been a godsend in keeping his hair from excessively tangling. eggs and mayo became a staple for awhile... great for deep conditioning and protein. right now i&#39;m experimenting with silk amino acids, seems to be working well too. and whoever first told me about apple cider vinegar rinses... i owe you a million thanks! best way to clarify EVER! ^_^

i had the best routine ever... co-wash, rinse, blot with a T-shirt, stick on a headband. hair was dry in 5 minutes. *sighs* those were the days... :D

ABSOLUTELY! i think it&#39;s important that everyone understands this... when your hair first comes out of your head, it&#39;s strong and healthy. the bottom inch of my hair that is almost at BSL has been thru combing, brushing, braiding, twisting, washing, rubbing up against clothes/bedsheets/couches, and even heat (i know it&#39;s a no-no here so i won&#39;t go into detail) in the past few years. all that wear and tear accumulates - THAT&#39;S why we get split ends and breakage. you have to, have to, HAVE TO baby your ends more than any other part of your hair if you want to retain your growth and see length. i encourage all shorter-haired nappies to experiment with as many products as possible... that&#39;s what i did when i had a twa. some products that i thought were "too moisturizing" back then are exactly what i need now... whereas the lighter stuff that used to work just fine my hair laughs at now. your hair&#39;s needs will change as it grows out, and you&#39;ve gotta be ready to listen to what it needs and adjust your routine accordingly.

this is a hard one... i have no solid routine really. :unsure: i start out by washing my hair and slathering a V05 conditioner on in the shower. i wash up, shave, etc. then turn the water off and detangle in front of the sink. as i detangle, i put my hair in 5 braids (nape, left temple, right temple, crown, front). when finished, i step back in the shower and rinse my hair while still in the braids, squeezing out the conditioner as i go. i have a video on how i style my hair after this point... basically i layer 2 products, one over the other. i apply a leave-in to one section at a time, then apply a gel/cream mixture on top of that. then i diffuse for 30 minutes or until 80% dry. the next day i can usually just fluff my hair when i wake up, still looks decent. day 3 i usually have to re-rinse my hair... some days i&#39;ll wear it out again, some days i&#39;ll put it in a puff. i wear a puff for a few days after that and then i will re-wash and the process starts all over again.

i never really got over my PJism :blush: so i&#39;m still experimenting with different products. but see Question 4, those are my staples. haven&#39;t gone wrong with them since i first discovered them.

8) Have you ever had any length set backs? How did you pin point what the problem(s) was/were and how did you currect it/them.
i am my main enemy... i&#39;m scissor-happy. :blush: i am countering that pretty well though. usually if i&#39;m having issues with my hair and can&#39;t seem to figure out what&#39;s wrong, i braid it up. this got me thru post-partum shedding especially... my hair was coming out in clumps and detangling was a nightmare.

you do not have to trim as often as you did when re.laxed. i just made it an entire year without trimming and guess how much i took off when i did? half an inch. ^_^ now some of you may only be able to go 3-4 months, 6 months, etc. and that&#39;s fine. but trimming every 4-6 weeks will kinda keep you at a standstill. that being said... don&#39;t be afraid of trims. during that year i constantly checked my hair to see if my ends were getting bad. you can do a light dusting (only trimming hairs that are split/knotted/damaged instead if necessary. hair does not grow out evenly. your strands are all on different growth cycles and don&#39;t all grow at the same time or at the same rate. so if you had a blunt cut and then 2 months later you see scraggly ends, it&#39;s not always because of damage. some hairs grow out faster than others so you no longer have a perfect blunt line. eventually the others catch up too. i don&#39;t wear my hair straight often so i don&#39;t know if my hair is uneven and it doesn&#39;t bother me. but i suppose if you wear braids and twists a lot you will notice the ends look thin sometimes. if your ends aren&#39;t damaged, then it&#39;s growth! leave it alone and let it grow. protective styles are your friend. yes, i have made it this far without totally relying on them. but now my shrunken hair reaches my shoulders and rubs against my clothes. so this year it is imperative that i protect my ends and keep them up and away from my shoulders. i will be wearing more puffs, buns, and braid styles (probably cornrowed updos as i find them the easiest look to switch up). lastly, enjoy your hair and enjoy the journey. i don&#39;t usually check to see if my hair is growing. if you just concentrate on keeping it healthy, all of a sudden you will notice little things. your hair hangs more when wet in the shower and takes longer to dry. your fro/puff looks bigger, your twists take longer to do. you go thru products quicker. other people start to notice! ^_^ another thing that helps is if you document your journey. not only is it fun to share with other people (i.e. us on NP :lol:), but it is an easy way to keep track of your progress. additionally, it&#39;s motivational. i keep that picture in my siggy to remind me that YES our hair does grow and YES i am reaching my goals. you may not see the growth from day to day, but if you take a pic and compare it to last month, and to the last 3 months, and to the last 6 months, and to last year... it will inspire you. and of course it will inspire others who are thinking about growing their hair out too. ;)

Napia Mia
03-06-2008, 09:53 AM
^^^Great responses so far ladies! Lady Libra, could you do me a favor and put a link to this thread in your original post for part II of our challenge? I&#39;m about to do the same for Part I. That way all of these threads stay cross referenced and easy to find.

Thanks!

Alright BSL Challenge members where y&#39;aw at?????

napturallyme
03-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I&#39;m at BSL, could be a little longer, haven&#39;t checked in the last 3 months. So, I&#39;m not in the challenge.

1) How long did you transition? 13 mos
2) When did you BC? March 15, 2002 (6 yrs this month)

3) How long was your hair (if you remember) after you BCd? 3-5 inches

4) What types of products or ingredients did your hair respond well to after you went fully natural? natural product hair care lines, mainly butters and lotions and olive oil.

6) Throughout your journey, how has your product choices and care and maintence routine evolved as you gained length? I used less products by my 3rd year. I&#39;ve returned to some of the products I used in the beginning, like Aubrey Organics conditioners.

I wash my hair on average every 2 weeks now, sometimes 3 weeks if I&#39;m wearing microtwists. I shampoo in the shower with CON moisturizing formula. I then apply virgin olive oil and a conditioner either Aubrey Organics GPB or ORS Hair Mayonaise and detangle my hair in 4 sections with a paddle hair brush. I put on a plastic cap and wrap a warm towel on my head for about 25 mins for deep conditioning. I then remove the towel and cap and let my hair sit for about 30 more mins. Rinse out the conditoner apply Asha&#39;s Mane Attraction and Sun-kissed pomade and either braid or twist my hair in about 10-12 plaits or twists to let dry over night and stretch my hair. I normally twist it the next day or take the braids down for a braid out. This is mainly my cold weather routine. When it&#39;s warmer, in addition to twists, I do buns and shake n&#39;go&#39;s. For shake n&#39; go&#39;s, My shampoo/condition routine is the same except I wear it loose. I do daily conditioner rinses with Aubrey Organics Island Rinse or Lush Coolyah conditioner. I use Asha&#39;s Heavenly Creme and Sun-kissed pomade for shake n&#39;go&#39;s. I never wear shake n&#39; go&#39;s for more than 3 weeks at a time

8) Have you ever had any length set backs? How did you pin point what the problem(s) was/were and how did you currect it/them. No

9) Do you have any advice for other nappies who want to grow longer hair? protective styling has been key for me and less product and manipulation

I can&#39;t post a pic of my stretched hair because it&#39;s against board rules. But you can click on my fotki link in my sig and the pics are in my 2007 album, the last few pics.

Ipanema
03-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I&#39;m not a part of the BSL challenge, but my hair stretches to BSL. Here&#39;s goes:

2 years

2) When did you BC?
Sometime in 2006

About 10 inches

My hair likes products with glycerin

I use less products and spend less time on daily styling.

I shampoo & condition once per week. Then two-strand twist the hair with coconut oil. I comb through each section to remove shed hairs. I trim about 1/4 inch every two months.

So many it&#39;s not even funny. My length setbacks came from not moisturizing enough, causing splits. The baggy technique works for my hair to help retain moisture.

Avoid stretching the hair & manipulating it too often. Use seamless combs & avoid hair accessories that snag and rip the hair--like the ones with plastic and metal pieces. Good ponytail holders can be made from pantyhose cut into strips.

LadyLibra
03-06-2008, 01:23 PM
I can&#39;t post a pic of my stretched hair because it&#39;s against board rules.[/b]

:huh: i thought it was just against the rules to post pics of straightned hair. you can stretch a section by just pulling it down with your fingers to show us length... nothing wrong with that. ;)

BrnNappyGrl
03-06-2008, 01:28 PM
:huh: i thought it was just against the rules to post pics of straightned hair. you can stretch a section by just pulling it down with your fingers to show us length... nothing wrong with that. ;)
[/b]

I think that she&#39;s saying that her stretched hair pic is with her hair straightened. ;)

napturallyme
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I think that she&#39;s saying that her stretched hair pic is with her hair straightened. ;)
[/b]
Correct

Cheleigh
03-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I&#39;m not a part of the BSL challenge, but I should have. I will achieve BSL this year I think. My photo will be a the end of this post.

) How long did you transition?
12 months and two weeks

2) When did you BC?
March 25, 2006

I think it was about 5" long (there are some photos in my first album).

Conditioner washing and IC Fantasia Gel (clear at the time). Initially, I was mostly using products like Oyin, Qhemet and regular commercial products. I learned during my transition that my hair liked olive oil and mixing conditioners. I discovered pretty quickly that my hair didn&#39;t like direct oils, proplyene glychol and glycerin.

I&#39;m guessing that 5" doesn&#39;t qualify as a TWA.

At about 10 inches, I had to start detangling my hair in sections again, just as I had when transitioning. I discovered that my hair liked pomades and butters, and could tolerate oils when mixed with butters or other products. I discovered that my hair was fine with glycerin and curl activator gel, at least in fall, winter, and spring. I don&#39;t CW daily, but my hair really benefits from CW at least three times a week. My hair doesn&#39;t mind an occasional shampoo, and since I use heavy products, it&#39;s beneficial.

I also discovered that most things are best done on my wet or damp hair. My hair is super tangly, and needs detangling once a week. My strands are fine, and don&#39;t tolerate rough handling. A french roll or bun is a sufficient protective style for my ends.

My hair responds very well to deep conditioners containing yogurt, honey, olive oil, and molasses (along with other commerical products). I love conditioners and my favorites are: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, GPB, and White Camellia; TJ Nourish; Regis Olive Oil, Mastercuts Vitamin C. I also like Aveda Humectant Pomade, Smooth & Shine CAG and different types of butter pomades.

I try to wash and detangle my hair once a week, and cowash at least three times a week. During the fall, winter, spring I apply products (pomade, gel) and plop in a microfiber towel. Then I bun it or clip it in the back usually. I trim my hair every 6 months or so and I dust when needed.

Not really, but for a while my ends were very dry and it was easy to break them. I minimized that problem by using products with more humectants and changing my deep conditioning treatment. I also dusted my ends.

Find out what ingredients your hair does and does not like. Find routines that makes it easy for you and your hair. Realize that your product and technique needs will change with hair length, time of the year, and other factors. If you&#39;re having a set-back, take a look at your techniques and your products to first identify the source of the problem. Your hair WILL grow, even if it grows slower than average (like mine).

This photo was taken October 29. I will be doing another length shot on March 25.
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL484/2350068/17596953/285765863.jpg

Napia Mia
03-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Bumpity, bump, bump...

acacia
03-07-2008, 02:13 PM
1) How long did you transition? ---7 months

2) When did you BC? ---june of &#39;06

3) How long was your hair (if you remember) after you BCd?---about 3 inches

4) What types of products or ingredients did your hair respond well to after you went fully natural? ---shealoe, jojoba oil, co-washing, aloe vera gel

hmm it wasn&#39;t that teeny but I co-washed and applied shealoe ;most of the time I twisted or wore a twist-out

---I began to braid at night, switched to aubrey organics shampoo, detangle in the shower and use giovanni direct leave in ; it has really helped.

basically double strand twists (re-do weekly),co-wash on weekends, apply shealoe and jojoba oil, shampoo once every 3-4 weeks w/ aubrey organics shampoo

8) Have you ever had any length set backs? How did you pin point what the problem(s) was/were and how did you currect it/them.---I haven&#39;t had any except maybe a trim

---keep it moisturized, trim when needed, and never use heat

Alastri
03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks so much for this thread Nappy Me! ^_^

Napia Mia
03-07-2008, 08:45 PM
You&#39;re welcome Alastri! I hope we get more participation...

Ladies as you post, don&#39;t forget to either add a current pic of your stretched hair OR just tell us what your current length is such as APL, already BSL, midback, waist length, toe length etc. Please make sure if you&#39;re posting as a long-haired nappy in this thread that you are within striking distance of reaching BSL this year or you&#39;re already BSL or beyond.

Having said that, Acacia could you come back and tell us what your current length is. Thanks! ^_^

acacia
03-08-2008, 12:45 PM
please give me a sec for the pics (my camera died :( but I&#39;d say i&#39;m about arm pit length

christian_witchie2005
03-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Im currently a little past brastrap length

1) How long did you transition? 19 months

2) When did you BC? feb 07 after 19 months

3) How long was your hair (if you remember) after you BCd? 11 inches

4) What types of products or ingredients did your hair respond well to after you went fully natural? i really only used conditioners, any conditioner seemed to work with my hair

5) If you started from a TWA what was your care routine as a short haired nappy? (Skip this one if this doesn&#39;t apply) n/a

6) Throughout your journey, how has your product choices and care and maintence routine evolved as you gained length? As my hair got longer, the coils/waves turned to longer waves. i cant do the high volume styles. also had to use less product to acheive the same styles

7) What is are your current products of choice and describe your current routine or regimine. I still only use conditioner, mostly paul mitchell, tresemme and nexxus products. i just wash an go and allow to airdry. i dont really consider it a regimen at all because its so simple.

8) Have you ever had any length set backs? How did you pin point what the problem(s) was/were and how did you currect it/them. yes, this past fall/winter, because i went scissor crazy lol. i ended up cutting my hair back to underarm length a couple times in 2007. if i hadnt i would ve already been at my waist length goal.
but im inching back there. im currently a little past bsl, and hope to keep on the grow as long as i can keep away from the scissors

9) Do you have any advice for other nappies who want to grow longer hair? Just keep at it, and keep it simple :)

Chantal7399
03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
ok, stupid question time...define bra strap level hair.

some of my hair above my ears and the back reach my bra strap when stretched out... but that at the top and front.. uh, no.

LOL

acacia
03-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Bra-strap level is when your hair reaches the back strap of your bra AKA where you hook it. Scroll up to see Cheleigh&#39;s photo she&#39;s is about there.

Chantal7399
03-10-2008, 04:51 PM
gotcha.

at work, pics don&#39;t show up.

well, mine reaches my shoulders. i&#39;m almost at 2yrs.

this year, i hope to do protective styles and get to BSL by my 3yr Nappiversary!!!

LBellatrix
03-11-2008, 09:31 AM
I just thought of something to ask you ladies that has to do with your hair history:

1. If you were relaxed for a significant amount of time prior to going natural, did you ever have long hair? (I&#39;m going to define "long" as shoulder-length or below.)

2. If you had long relaxed hair, was it healthy-looking (e.g. not transparent in the last few inches, for example)? If so, what did you do to keep it that way?

I think it would be helpful to know if some of you are able to say you experienced more length as a natural than you did as a relaxed person. I was able to claim it when I first picked my locs out...they really are the ultimate protective style. :)

Up until that point I was extremely skeptical that I could grow long (past shoulder-length) hair. Now I know that if I leave my hair almost completely alone, manipulating it only when necessary, I might be able to do it. (Okay, I&#39;m still a little skeptical, I admit it. ;) )

napturallyme
03-11-2008, 09:45 AM
1. If you were relaxed for a significant amount of time prior to going natural, did you ever have long hair? (I&#39;m going to define "long" as shoulder-length or below.) I was r.elaxed for 12 years. I had long hair. When I bc&#39;d it was APL. I never really grew my hair to BSL because I would usually end up getting it cut some. I&#39;m sure it could have grown that long, as my hair was near that length as a child.

2. If you had long relaxed hair, was it healthy-looking (e.g. not transparent in the last few inches, for example)? If so, what did you do to keep it that way? Well as a natural my ends are thinner than the rest of my hair, think it&#39;s just how my hair is as it gets older. So given that, I think my hair was healthy looking despite ends being not as thick as the rest of my hair. The only issue I had r.elaxed was breakage at the nape on one side of my head. I was told it was due to wearing ponytails, not sure if that really was true or not.

Ipanema
03-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I just thought of something to ask you ladies that has to do with your hair history:

1. If you were relaxed for a significant amount of time prior to going natural, did you ever have long hair? (I&#39;m going to define "long" as shoulder-length or below.)

2. If you had long relaxed hair, was it healthy-looking (e.g. not transparent in the last few inches, for example)? If so, what did you do to keep it that way?
[/b]

For a few years, I had a wave nouveau. It grew to mid-back length. I wore it in a scrunchie bun most of the time. Then I had a r.elaxer off and on. The longest it grew was to mid-back length. I&#39;d put it in a ponytail, braid the ponytail, then cover it with a "phony pony." I wore the fake ponytail every day. I didn&#39;t have see-through ends then. It must have been the protective styles, and regular trimming. (Back in high school, I had read the Wanakee article in a magazine about how to grow hair. I thought her hair was amazing). :lol:

LadyLibra
03-11-2008, 06:14 PM
yes... my hair would grow to APL every year, then get full of splits so i&#39;d chop back to about shoulder length.

yes actually. i have a few pics in my Fotki of my hair before i started transitioning. i had a few good hair care practices (didn&#39;t apply CFC from roots to ends, only got touch-ups every 8-12 weeks are the only 2 i can think of right off the bat). my main enemy was heat. i fried the crap outta my hair on a daily basis. and yes, i had heat-damaged CFC hair in some spots. that was the main thing i had to break myself of... that was harder than doing the BC. i have always been good about trimming my ends... i hate splits. uneven growth i can deal with... but splits? NOOOOOOOOOOO! :lol:

but as you can see ladies, i&#39;ve made it to BSL now. my ends are not full of splits and my hair is still on the grow. so i expect to far surpass any length i would&#39;ve reached with a CFC. ^_^

honeybunch2k5
03-11-2008, 06:49 PM
I transitioned by accident for several months.

2) When did you BC?
I didn&#39;t really BC, the permed ends just broke off.

2-3 inches

My hair liked aphogee conditioner and essential oils like amla, brahmi, peppermint, and rosemary

Wash&#39;n&#39;go mostly with regular conditioning.

I use less products definitely. Eventually, I stopped shampooing then using only conditioner and oils. Now I mostly rinse with the occasional deep conditioning treatment.

Currently I use rosemary tea, Anita Grant, and plain &#39;ole water. I rinse daily or every other day with water and rosemary tea. I condition when my hair needs it. Usually castor oil will do to moisturize my hair.

No, not yet. *crosses fingers*

Be patient and don&#39;t obsess about it. I don&#39;t measure often so I can keep my sanity.

Oh yes, and recent pics are in my fotki.

1. If you were relaxed for a significant amount of time prior to going natural, did you ever have long hair? (I&#39;m going to define "long" as shoulder-length or below.) No,not with permed hair. It broke off at the nape of my neck.

No.

Napia Mia
03-11-2008, 08:23 PM

I think it would be helpful to know if some of you are able to say you experienced more length as a natural than you did as a relaxed person. I was able to claim it when I first picked my locs out...they really are the ultimate protective style. :)

Up until that point I was extremely skeptical that I could grow long (past shoulder-length) hair. Now I know that if I leave my hair almost completely alone, manipulating it only when necessary, I might be able to do it. (Okay, I&#39;m still a little skeptical, I admit it. ;) )
[/b]
#1) LBell I never had long relaxed hair. It never made it past my shoulders in the back and sides and the hair in the top front never reached past my lip or chin. Now my hair ranges from APL in the top, crown is about shoulder length and back ranges from APL to BSL.

#2) N/A

BrnNappyGrl
03-19-2008, 11:13 PM
1. If you were relaxed for a significant amount of time prior to going natural, did you ever have long hair? (I&#39;m going to define "long" as shoulder-length or below.) I was relaxed from the time I was about 6 until just past my 33rd birthday, so about 27 years of creamed crack time, and yes, I did grow my hair to just past my shoulders once I got over my fascination with Halle Berry&#39;s cut from Boomerang.

2. If you had long relaxed hair, was it healthy-looking (e.g. not transparent in the last few inches, for example)? If so, what did you do to keep it that way? I had a pretty good length of hair (regularly grew past my shoulders), but whenever it got really long I would cut it off. I think my hatred for and dread of touch ups saved my hair from major damage. I stretched it as long as I could (i.e. my Momma was harping about my hair looking a mess) between touchups. I think at one time I even went about 6 months between at one point.

I didn&#39;t really do much to it. Even fresh out of a chemical fire cream I just slapped a hair scunchie on to let it dry and took it down to put on my Motions Pink Moisturizer. After that, back into the ponytail it went until the next hellfire cream touch-up.

imani4eva
03-24-2008, 10:53 AM
) How long did you transition?
I transitioned for about a year.

2) When did you BC?I&#39;d never had, had short hair before so I knew a conventional bc was not an option. So i did a mini bc, I cut my hair from just below my bra strap to my mid neck. The did a big trim after about six months and chooped the rest at the end of the approx year tranistioing period. I wore my hair largely in extensions/weaves.

I think when strecthed/ straightened was about top of my shoulders -maybe slightly longer

Butters and oils. Best butter = shea butter, best oils, olive and castor. It aslo really loves honey and avocardo in a treatment.

I probably the exception in that I&#39;ve probably started caring the most from my hair in the last year. Prior to that I was dependent on weaves, stylists or just did nothing. The best advice i can offer is don&#39;t be scared to get your hands in your hair and learn how to style yourself. The better you play in your hair, the more you know it and the more equiped you are to listen and care for it. - Also if you are salon dependet like I was, a) find your self a good stylist. Don&#39;t be scared to ask them what products they use, and for other hair care info. For naturals in london, there is a great natural hair salon called BLAQUE TO NATURAL google it. From there i learnt about the homemade avocardo hair treatment and IC GEL for twists.

The weaves = hair length because hair not touched
Stylists = conditioned the hair for me, after my weeks/months of abuse
Doing nothing-=I guess mimial manipulation, allowed hair to grow, during one exam season literally left it in an afro puff for a month quite literally. Then went to the salon after the month or so to get it washed, conditioned styled after. Ultimately i think i&#39;m just quite lucky when it comes to my hair, it just liked to grow

Evolved - I tend to do everything in sections, i.e wash, twist etc

7) What is are your current products of choice and describe your current routine or regimine.Ermm products mosituriser = shea butter complex for when have washed hair. Pre wash =honey and olive. treatment= avocardo, honey, hair mayo and whatever other oil i decide to throw in. Shampoo, conditioner I alternate. One of favourite all time products though is single bible hair moisturiser. this omplex is WOOOOOOOOOOW. i use it on scalp and hair.

No not really

Try and use natural stuff. Try and leave it in protected styles as much as possible i.e plaits, twists, weaves.

Napia Mia
03-28-2008, 10:58 AM
bump to see if we can get more posts...

TeriBmore
05-14-2008, 07:41 PM
1) How long did you transition? 4 1/2 months

2) When did you BC? April 19, 2006

3) How long was your hair (if you remember) after you BCd? MAYBE ABOUT 2 1/2 INCHES

4) What types of products or ingredients did your hair respond well to after you went fully natural? GEL

5) If you started from a TWA what was your care routine as a short haired nappy? (Skip this one if this doesn&#39;t apply) WASH N GO DAILY, MOISTURIZE

NOTHING HAS REALLY CHANGED, MY HAIR REQUIRES ALOT MORE PRODUCT

WASH N GO AND ADD LEAVE-IN PLUS GEL AND GO, UNLESS I&#39;M IN TWISTS

LOST MY EDGES DUE TO POST PARTUM PREGNACY ISSUES, THEY GREW BACK USING MY EO MIXTURE. GOT HAIRCUT IN FEB 08

9) Do you have any advice for other nappies who want to grow longer hair? NOT AT THIS TIME

ajargon
05-17-2009, 03:02 PM

Well I have been natural most of my life. I did get a r.e.l.a.x.er for the 2nd or 3rd time in my life when I was 18. My hair at that point was a little past shoulder after it got cut. It was a disaster! I had no idea about transitioning, and I just put my hair back into extentions and I am now sure the relaxed ends broke off eventually.

2) When did you BC?

I didn&#39;t do that. The only times that I have gotten hair cuts as a natural was shortly after I went blonde (had much damage and breakage) and when I let the stylist s.t.r.a.i.g.h.ten my hair and she wanted to cut if off.

In each of the circumstances above between 3-5.5 inches approximately were cut off

Anything water based (sta-so-fro, tahia wadd(sp?) ect.) my hair also likes butters, rather then straight oil with the exception of coconut and shea. I can put them in after spritzing with water, and my hair loves it and is soft for days. I like simple, ya know?! :)

doesn&#39;t apply

I have gotten on many bandwagons unfortunately, however the silver lining is that I learned what my hair likes. Indian powders turned into rinses, henna, coconut oil, shea butter, any type of water based leave in or moisturizer, not too much protein,no cones and little sulfates.

low to no poo, aveda,trader joe&#39;s, suave coconut, aussie moist conditioners are my preference. I rotate them, and my hair seems to enjoy them as well! sta-so-fro, whipped shea, straight up shea with coconut oil, distilled water, and homemade leave ins.

8) Have you ever had any length set backs?

yup, goes back to the blonde coloring and when I let the stylist cut my hair

How did you pin point what the problem(s) was/were and how did you currect it/them.

bc fixed it all. when I saw that I had split end and breakage after the color and didn&#39;t seem to have issues like that before, for me, the best choice was to cut it to save the healthy hair and just start fresh. I keep up on "dusting" or light trimming as some call it. I am sure to dust as needed, and trim round 4 times per yr. It really makes a difference in how your hair feels and healthy ends help in retaining length.

PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE! I know that you all have heard this before, but it&#39;s true. Protective styling is also a life saver for me even when my hair was much shorter. It helps me in retaining growth, along with water intake, proper care and products my hair likes, diet including vitamins. I don&#39;t go overboard, b/c I have learned for my hair less really is more :)

1. If you were relaxed for a significant amount of time prior to going natural, did you ever have long hair?
2. If you had long relaxed hair, was it healthy-looking (e.g. not transparent in the last few inches, for example)?

I wasn&#39;t relaxed that long, but it was a good length, refer to earlier answers. Eventhough they jacked it up, to the untrained eye, it looked thick and healthy even down to the ends, but really it wasn&#39;t.

http://images105.fotki.com/v450/photos/4/463565/2032724/ttonalasitlooksinthepicIloveit-vi.jpg

to this:
http://images46.fotki.com/v1506/photos/5/463565/7548109/100_1435-vi.jpg

iscott555
05-17-2009, 05:12 PM
1. I never transitioned because I was always natural...but I used the p.ress for about 13 years of my life and I stopped doing that 4 years ago
2 &3- do not apply
4. I like pantene&#39;s line for women of color and I like biolage
5- does not apply
6. Oh goodness when I first stopped using the p.ress I was a NP junkie so I joined every challenge and tried almost every product mentioned. I tried going bohemian and using nothing but water, I tried using all type of oils and spritzes but in the end I realized no-pooing was the best for me!

7. Currently i just use pantene&#39;s line for women of color and a hair lotion I no-poo often because I am a bodybuilder and I workout quite often...I think I use shampoo once or twice a month. I keep my hair in either twists or braids and only wear it out for a day because my hair does not hold well when it&#39;s out

8. lol! yeah! when I was pregnant I was scissor happy! My hair probably would be many inches longer than it is but I was trimming like every month and sometimes those trims were like mini-cuts :lol: Not to mention all the breakage that happened before I learned how to properly detangle my hair Ouch!

9. Advice? Get to know your hair....no two heads are exactly the same don&#39;t compare your hair to someone else&#39;s and don&#39;t get caught up in measuring your hair every couple of weeks...a watched pot really does not boil. Most importantly love your hair and appreciate it for what it is.

I will be back with pictures!

QueenVictoria
05-18-2009, 04:57 AM
1. I never transitioned because I was always natural...but I used the p.ress for about 13 years of my life and I stopped doing that 4 years ago
2 &3- do not apply
4. I like pantene&#39;s line for women of color and I like biolage
5- does not apply
6. Oh goodness when I first stopped using the p.ress I was a NP junkie so I joined every challenge and tried almost every product mentioned. I tried going bohemian and using nothing but water, I tried using all type of oils and spritzes but in the end I realized no-pooing was the best for me!

7. Currently i just use pantene&#39;s line for women of color and a hair lotion I no-poo often because I am a bodybuilder and I workout quite often...I think I use shampoo once or twice a month. I keep my hair in either twists or braids and only wear it out for a day because my hair does not hold well when it&#39;s out

8. lol! yeah! when I was pregnant I was scissor happy! My hair probably would be many inches longer than it is but I was trimming like every month and sometimes those trims were like mini-cuts :lol: Not to mention all the breakage that happened before I learned how to properly detangle my hair Ouch!

9. Advice? Get to know your hair....no two heads are exactly the same don&#39;t compare your hair to someone else&#39;s and don&#39;t get caught up in measuring your hair every couple of weeks...a watched pot really does not boil. Most importantly love your hair and appreciate it for what it is.

I will be back with pictures!
[/b]
MY GURL!!! :afro: :Cool_049:

ajargon
05-18-2009, 10:46 PM
bumpity bump bump :)

iscott555
07-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Ok so what happened to the bra strap length challenge thread? Can someone attach a link, I couldn&#39;t find it when I did a search...thanks!!!

Ok so what happened to the bra strap length challenge thread? Can someone attach a link, I couldn&#39;t find it when I did a search...thanks!!!

mymy
11-15-2009, 10:24 PM
My hair is BSL in the back. Here is my fotki (http://members.fotki.com/eshabesha/about/).

1) How long did you transition? N/A

2) When did you BC? February 2007.

3) How long was your hair (if you remember) after you BCed? Maybe an inch long.

4) What types of products or ingredients did your hair respond well to after you went fully natural? My hair loves oils and butters, specifically EVOO and shea butter. My hair also loves water.

5) If you started from a TWA what was your care routine as a short haired nappy? For my TWA I wet my hair daily. I would co-wash daily and then shampoo every 7-10 days. I applied a mixture of conditioner (Suave or VO5), EVOO, and water to my hair daily. Once it was long enough I wore it pulled back in a headband.

6) Throughout your journey, how has your product choices and care and maintence routine evolved as you gained length? Loose hair worked for me until about 5-6". Once I got to 6" it was just too much. At that point I switched to wearing twists and I haven't looked back since. Wearing twists also helps my hair to hold moisture better. When my hair was still short I made the switch to sulfate free shampoos and that definitely helped as my hair grew out. I needed heavier products when I twisted my hair and shealoe was the best for that.

7) What is are your current products of choice and describe your current routine or regimen.
Currently I am using: Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, EVOO, shealoe, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner for deep conditioning, and I'm trying out Karen's Body Beautiful hair milk for moisturizing.

I have a modified Never Loose & Wet Routine (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104921&highlight=never+loose+wet).
Current Routine:
~I wear twists continuously: wash in a set of twists and redo them.
~Lather twice with Chagrin Valley soap/shampoo bar(s) of choice, add olive oil to last lather just before rinsing.
~While wet, take down one twist at a time, apply shealoe, comb through, retwist.
~Repeat weekly.
~Trim as needed.
~Deep condition as needed.
~I don't use heat on my hair except to deep condition.

8) Have you ever had any length set backs? How did you pin point what the problem(s) was/were and how did you currect it/them. I've never had any setbacks.

Listen to your hair and pay attention to it. That way if you notice any changes or problems you can try to fix it right away before you have a setback. I think that keeping some kind of journal is helpful (photo or written). This helps you keep track of how your hair responds to products and if your routine is working for you. If you start having a problem with your hair, this will help you figure out the cause that much faster too. Be gentle when you handle your hair and don't even mess with it if you are upset or angry because you will take it out on your hair.
Once you find a routine and products that work for you, try to stick to it. Change it if its not working for you or your hair anymore.

LBell's Questions:

1. If you were relaxed for a significant amount of time prior to going natural, did you ever have long hair? (I'm going to define "long" as shoulder-length or below.)
No.
N/A

mymy
11-18-2010, 03:17 AM
Any updates?

My hair is BSL in the back. Here is my fotki (http://members.fotki.com/eshabesha/about/).

7) What is are your current products of choice and describe your current routine or regimen.
Currently I am using: Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, EVOO, shealoe, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner for deep conditioning, and I'm trying out Karen's Body Beautiful hair milk for moisturizing.

I have a modified Never Loose & Wet Routine (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104921&highlight=never+loose+wet).
Current Routine:
~I wear twists continuously: wash in a set of twists and redo them.
~Lather twice with Chagrin Valley soap/shampoo bar(s) of choice, add olive oil to last lather just before rinsing.
~While wet, take down one twist at a time, apply shealoe, comb through, retwist.
~Repeat weekly.
~Trim as needed.
~Deep condition as needed.
~I don't use heat on my hair except to deep condition.

Now my hair is MBL in the back.

I use CON detangling and conditioning shampoo instead of shampoo bars. I also use cholesterol as a deep conditioner. I don't use KBB hair milk as a moisturizer anymore --that experiment didn't work.
My routine is still the same, just the shampoo change. I also try to dc once a month now.

mymy
04-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Bumping for the newest BSL challengers.