PDA

View Full Version : Clinton, Not Obama, Changing Mind On Nafta

ashrob123
03-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Apparently it wasn't Obama staff but Clinton staff that made the comment about NAFTA:

PM Must Fire Brodie (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080306.wnafta07/BNStory/National/home)

A Quote from the article:

The controversy began after Mr. Brodie allegedly told a group of journalists from CTV News that candidate Hillary Clinton was not serious about earlier suggestions that she would reopen NAFTA if she became president. The network later reported that it was Mr. Obama's campaign that had informed Canadian diplomats not to be overly concerned that he would fundamentally change the deal. The network also reported that Ms. Clinton's officials indirectly tried to deliver the same message, a report the campaign denied the next evening.

Later, a memo from a Canadian diplomat in Chicago emerged in which Mr. Obama's chief economic adviser, Austan Goolsbee, was quoted as saying that Mr. Obama's NAFTA stand was about "political positioning," rather than an articulation of policy.

The Clinton campaign has used the issue against Mr. Obama, saying he is insincere in his opposition to NAFTA. Ms. Clinton went on to win the primary in the state of Ohio, where NAFTA is blamed by some for the loss of manufacturing jobs.

Meanwhile, yesterday, U.S. ambassador David Wilkins, who called the NAFTA leak "interference" when he spoke to the CBC yesterday, said he overstated the case.

"It's a regrettable instance, it should not have happened. But certainly… regret has been expressed very strongly by the Canadian government," Mr. Wilkins told The Globe and Mail.[/b]

All this time I was thinking that this had Clinton all over it but it seems as if the rumors of a Republican hand may have been right.

taniseka
03-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Reason #8978 why I can't stand PM Harper and why I am bitter with CTV. I agree with Wilkins that this NAFTA stuff is interference. Wait until the US chooses their President and then do what you gotta do. ugh.

napturallyme
03-07-2008, 12:25 PM
I saw this on tv last night. I wish Obama would make a bigger deal about this.

GalaxyGirl2012
03-07-2008, 12:30 PM
but the two states where nafta is bad (new york and ohio) have already had their primaries...

weird that the truth came out after march 4th primaries...

delta98
03-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Apparently it wasn't Obama staff but Clinton staff that made the comment about NAFTA:

PM Must Fire Brodie (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080306.wnafta07/BNStory/National/home)

A Quote from the article:
All this time I was thinking that this had Clinton all over it but it seems as if the rumors of a Republican hand may have been right.
[/b]
I am confused. If it wasn't Obama's camp why he did he apologize for not knowing the meeting took place...somebody clear this please!

BrnNappyGrl
03-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Not weird that this came out after it could hurther, in fact, very smart on Illary's part. She knew she'd take a shot to the solar plexus if she let it leak that she was the one whose camp actually backpedaled and lied to make it look like Obama was the one who made said comments.

Score one more reason not to let this woman into the White House <_<

GalaxyGirl2012
03-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Not weird that this came out after it could hurther, in fact, very smart on Illary&#39;s part. She knew she&#39;d take a shot to the solar plexus if she let it leak that she was the one whose camp actually backpedaled and lied to make it look like Obama was the one who made said comments.

Score one more reason not to let this woman into the White House <_<
[/b]
not to pick on you, but i swear to goodness that if obama tripped on the sidewalk some of y&#39;all would be convinced that hillary caused it by intentionally making the cement unlevel when she poured it herself

not everything that&#39;s against obama comes directly from the clinton camp. or do you seriously think that hillary is also in control of the canadian government too?

some of this anti-shrillary rhetoric is bordering on paranoia

ashrob123
03-07-2008, 07:02 PM
I am confused. If it wasn&#39;t Obama&#39;s camp why he did he apologize for not knowing the meeting took place...somebody clear this please!
[/b]

From what I can tell it went like this. Someone from the Clinton camp made the comment about NAFTA. This was reported before the Obama comment was alleged. The Clinton comment was never investigated. The same comment was then attributed to the Obama campaign. Someone from the Obama campaign was invited to the embassy. They had a conversation about NAFTA that someone "accidently" meshed with the Clinton comment. Someone from the conservative party wrote a memo regarding NAFTA and Obama. That got picked up by the media and Hillary ran with it.

When Obama was asked about the meeting he denied it because (I think) he wasn&#39;t told about it and they didn&#39;t want to get in trouble for accepting a meeting that might look suspicious (even if it were innocent). When he was told he corrected himself but it was too late.

The Canadian government has said that Obama&#39;s camp didn&#39;t say the comment but hasn&#39;t denied that the Clinton person may have said them.

It&#39;s all very sordid and confusing. Too much for our mainstream media to unravel I assume although it does look like they are trying to talk about it now.

I don&#39;t think that the Clinton camp was directly involved in this issue. This has Republican shyte starting all over it for me. But it does look like the Clinton camp took advantage of the memo for their own gain. Perhaps even knowing that it was someone from their camp that said it (I don&#39;t think anyone can prove this now).

But apparently the Canadian people are very upset at the prospect that their government is actively involved in American politics. Some are even asking for the Prime Ministers top guy to step down because he was a part in the shenanigans.