PDA

View Full Version : Reseaching A Career And College Major

kinkykhick
03-26-2004, 08:47 PM
What's the best way to research a new career and college major. Is the internet a reliable source of info? Do I need to hit the Library or a school
career center? All of the above. How did you decide? Did you interview people already in your field of interest? :-?

I've haven't been in school for quite a while, so A little help for the clueless over here! :-P

Lagina
03-26-2004, 10:05 PM
What do you want to do? What do you like doing? What are your favorite subjects? Is making money your objective?

kinkykhick
03-27-2004, 01:07 AM
I'm interested in finding out more about music therapy.

elleebeme5
03-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Searching the Internet fine but be sure that you get to the official site for the profession. I found a few that I think might help you.

Music therapy: musictherapy.org
Art therapy: arttherapy.org
Recreational therapy: atra-tr.org

The following is a link to the Occupational Outlook Handbook which provides guidance on jobs as it relates to salary, employment, etc.

http://stats.bls.gov/search/ooh.asp?ct=OOH

Look for similar sites to help you compare info. Find out where music therapists work and see if you can observe. Write to a school where that degree is offered and ask for a curriculum to see what kinds of courses (including prerequesites) that you'll need.

Good luck!

kinkykhick
03-27-2004, 10:01 PM
elleebeme5: Thanks to those music therapy links I'll definitely check those out and that Occupational Outlook Handbook sounds like just what I'm looking for. :thumbsup

I'll will be observing some Music Therapist at work before I jump into this, i'm too old to end up in a career I don't like.

So It's safe to say your can do most of your career research on line then? Cool!

elleebeme5
03-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by kinkykhick@Mar 27 2004, 05:01 PM

So It's safe to say your can do most of your career research on line then? Cool!
I would say most, but I'd say quite a bit can be done online.

saga30311
03-28-2004, 01:41 PM
ITA w/ elleebeme5 - the Occupational Outlook Handbook is probably the resource I relied on most often for researching my career.

Are there any trade magazines for Music therapy? If so, I'd use these to gauge the sentiment of ppl in the field. Sometimes they survey industry insiders to see how the industry is doing to validate/invalidate the stats you can find from the OOH. My college's library & career services dept. referred me to the trade mags for my industry.

Good luck with your search :thumbsup