PDA

View Full Version : French Braids Question

Ricky22
03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Theres somethin I been wantin to do with my hair, is it possible to do decent french braids with only 3 or 4 inches of hair? I have tight nappy hair texture

I realize their not gonna have any hangtime

Reese72
03-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Yes, it can definitely be done. You just need to find someone who can do it ;)

Batyah
03-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Heck Yeah! 3 to 4 inches is more than enough to do cornrows. :)

Ricky22
03-16-2008, 05:59 PM
lol I mean the big super-fat ones that have just one big braid on each side of the head

mymy
03-16-2008, 06:27 PM
lol I mean the big super-fat ones that have just one big braid on each side of the head
[/b]
I don't think your hair is long enough for only 2 braids. I think that 2 on each side is doable. Just don't get braids that are too tight to try to get the style you want. Tension headaches aren't fun and your edges may say 'uncle' and break off.

Reese72
03-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah, that's not quite long enough yet, Hon. You won't have a smooth look no matter how the braids are positioned. Too much pulling and tucking to keep it together. One way that you MAY be able to rock two braids is to have your hair cornrowed in little cornrows to be combined into the two braids you want. Yeah....try that.

dtownjbrown
03-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Theres somethin I been wantin to do with my hair, is it possible to do decent french braids with only 3 or 4 inches of hair? I have tight nappy hair texture. I realize their not gonna have any hangtime
[/b]

I only have about 3 inches of hair and was able to get some "decent" french braids. I didnt have any hangtime either and I thought I looked like a dude (no offense) so I took them out like three days later. One thing though, I had to get two separate rows in the back because the tension from the short hair pulling downwards was BRUTAL. Here are some pics......

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q179/dtownjbrown/natural%20hair/NaturalHair450.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q179/dtownjbrown/natural%20hair/NaturalHair449.jpg

Ricky22
03-16-2008, 07:20 PM
:( dang I'm sick of waiting for my hair to be long enough to do all the good stuff!

lol grrrrrrr

lsubabiedee
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
:( dang I'm sick of waiting for my hair to be long enough to do all the good stuff!

lol grrrrrrr
[/b]

awww...give it a few months.

AutumnRain
03-16-2008, 07:39 PM
You'll get there. Just keep on doing your hair right and it will return the favor. :)

Ricky22
03-16-2008, 07:50 PM
my mom just braided my hair with just regular-thick cornrows I'll guess I'll do this for this last week until I start wearing my hair out again, how can I keep my ends from shriveling up and shrinking up?

brownnbubblie
03-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Alrighty,

I have been lurking :ninj: for some time now and although I am not an expert, there is a difference between a french braid and a cornrow. (I do cornrows on my daughters hair all the time)

Cornrows(sometimes called underbraids):dtownjbrown: you have cornrows not french braids. Even if you used less hair with the same technique , the style would still be considered cornrows. The difference is the braid is more prominent and the hands go under the section that is being braided.

French braids (sometimes called over braids: Here is a link to how to do a french braid/s. ( http://www.ehow.com/video_17115_french-braid-hair.html) IT is not on nappy hair but it is all done the same:on hair. The difference: the fingers/hands are positioned over the section of the hair that is being braided.

Hope this helps:D ;)

dtownjbrown
03-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Cornrows(sometimes called underbraids):dtownjbrown: you have cornrows not french braids. Even if you used less hair with the same technique , the style would still be considered cornrows. The difference is the braid is more prominent and the hands go under the section that is being braided.

French braids (sometimes called over braids: Here is a link to how to do a french braid/s. ( http://www.ehow.com/video_17115_french-braid-hair.html) IT is not on nappy hair but it is all done the same:on hair. The difference: the fingers/hands are positioned over the section of the hair that is being braided.

[/b]

Wow...Its amazing how depending on where you're from, descriptive terms for the same thing can be totally different. We grew up calling french braids and cornrows OVER braids (since you can see the braid pattern on top of your head). The ones where the pattern is hidden beneath your hair, better reffered to as UNDER braids, are called "fish braids" in my neck of the woods (but I have no idea where that term came from). Interesting, huh?

mymy
03-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Wow...Its amazing how depending on where you're from, descriptive terms for the same thing can be totally different. We grew up calling french braids and cornrows OVER braids (since you can see the braid pattern on top of your head). The ones where the pattern is hidden beneath your hair, better reffered to as UNDER braids, are called "fish braids" in my neck of the woods (but I have no idea where that term came from). Interesting, huh?
[/b]
Where I'm from, cornrows are overbraids and have a raised pattern; french braids are underneath and have a flat pattern (more smooth appearance).

Batyah
03-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Alrighty,

I have been lurking :ninj: for some time now and although I am not an expert, there is a difference between a french braid and a cornrow. (I do cornrows on my daughters hair all the time)

[/b]
:yes: Thanks for posting the difference between cornrows vs. french briads Brownbubblie! :)
These are french braids. I prefer doing these only because they come out neater.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Batyah_i/Hair%20Pictures/005.jpg

Ricky22
03-17-2008, 11:32 AM
lol can somebody answer my other question please?

Reese72
03-17-2008, 05:04 PM
One thing you can do is add a soft holding gel to your ends before braiding them. Another tip, wrap your hair, making sure your ends are laid flat against your neck. With this method, you don't have to use a gel if you don't want to. At times, I've used clips to make sure they stay put, then I'll wrap my head.