PDA

View Full Version : Retwist W/what?

MzMah0gany
03-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Hey people,
I'm getting ready to induldge in a night dedicated to my locs (been loc'd for close to a year).. but lately, there's been one thing i've been confused about...and that is what to re-twist with. As for the method, i've been finger twisting ( :huh is that a term?? lol) but i've heard that gel causes build up beeswax does too in the long run and i just don't know where to turn! help a sistah out.

mommytimes2
03-29-2004, 02:40 AM
I usually use Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel or Lock It Up gel by Taliah Waaijid's Black Earth Products. I have even used Aveda Purefume Brilliant Forming Gel to retwist. All of these products are very light weight and clear. I use a teeny tiny dab along with some scented oil like Better Locks Lite Almond Conditioning Oil or Kemi Oyl. I also use Suave Clarifying Shampoo to prevent build up.

I try to remember to wear a satin scarf at night so I don't get junk in my locks. That's it, and no build up problem since I've started this regime. (My first loctician used Indian Hemp grease along with gels for retwisting. That grease really built up in my locks. :-P :mad .)

goldilocs
03-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by mommytimes2@Mar 29 2004, 03:40 AM
I usually use Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel or Lock It Up gel by Taliah Waaijid's Black Earth Products. I have even used Aveda Purefume Brilliant Forming Gel to retwist. All of these products are very light weight and clear. I use a teeny tiny dab along with some scented oil like Better Locks Lite Almond Conditioning Oil or Kemi Oyl. I also use Suave Clarifying Shampoo to prevent build up.

I use the exact same products and luv them for my locs...Suave Clarifying Shampoo to prevent build up and to remove any unwanted elements from my locs; Taliah Waaijid's Lock-it-Up Gel for grooming, and Better Locks Lite Almond Conditioning Oil for my scalp. Never a build-up with these products! :thumbsup Keep it simple!

FlyGemini
03-29-2004, 02:43 PM
When I first started locing I was overwhelmed with options. Over time I learned that the less products you put on your hair, the better off you'll be. I was using shea butter at first (cuz that was the "it" product for locs at the time, like beeswax). But after I started getting terrible build-up on my scalp, I stopped using it. Now, 16 months later, all I use is ElastaQP moisturizing lotion. That works fine with me.

Wise1
03-29-2004, 02:48 PM
I use olive oil and water. I found lots of other great things to use on my locs that are home made and natural on the homemade prods forum. I love that place!!!! You should take a look too!

thenewme
04-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Very interesting thread. I was having some of the same concerns. My loctician started my locs and I wanted to stay as natural as possible. One time I saw her using that proclaim brown gel stuff. My scalp was very itchy. After that I told her not to use that but to stick with the Taliah Waaijid products since I have them at home and once I start maintaining them on my own. I met a sister with the most beautiful locs in Bowie, MD. I asked her what did she use and she stated nothing. Just wash and retwist, air dry and oil. She said that it took her a little longer to loc but she does not have any products in her hair. I like her thought process....simple. Just something to think about.

MzMah0gany
04-13-2004, 08:12 PM
thanks for all of the comments, i take it that simple is best =) i tried suave clarifying shampoo and am on my way to find the lock it up gel.

~*karmen*~