PDA

View Full Version : Africanancestry.com

Totallycool
04-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Anyone use this site with success? They can tell you your halogroup AND the exact tribe you descend from. I want to do this so bad when I get enough money.
www.AfricanAncestry.com

SweetHoneyLocs
04-06-2008, 04:42 PM
They are associated with www.familytreedna.com.....I choose to use family tree dna because the services provide were of a wider variety and the database is bigger. The cost of the test is the same I think....

MariposaMorena08
04-07-2008, 03:15 AM
African Ancestry may be somewhat affiliated with FamilyTree but the last thing I read was that AA has the largest African database of DNA, giving them the monopoly on African-American DNA testing. AA only gives you the ethnic group that you share the closest genetic match with, no haplogroups are given.
Family Tree, does the haplogroups but also the autosomal test. The autosomal/admixture test tells you what percentage of each ethnic group you are. They are divided up into Indo-European, Sub-Saharan African, East Asian, and Native American. I ordered this test and are waiting for the results.

I have done a haplogroup testing with National Genographic (haplogroup L1c2 - found in Central and West Africa), and the African Ancestry test (my maternal ancestry is from the Akan people in Ghana). Although this is the 3rd test I am taking it probably won't be my last. It is amazing how many questions you think will be answered compared to how many questions spin off of the results.

Unfortunately, there is not a test that will tell you all of the info. that you want. If you are positive that your maternal ancestry is African, I would forget the haplogroup and do the African Ancestry test. My haplogroup told me nothing that I couldn't get from reading. I was looking more specifically for names and specific people. hth!

Totallycool
04-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah I want to know what ethnic groups I belong to not a bunch of letters and numbers to tell me I'm west African (duh). But I will check out this other site. Thanks. And how do I know if my maternal ancestry is African? My mom is black but believe me, she's got ALOT of white in her. Their all mixed up on that side. Hope that won't affect anything.

SweetHoneyLocs
04-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I took the mtDNA test from two different sites, www.familytreedna.com and www.genebase.com. Both test came out identical, and indicated that my haplogroup is L3f. Which is not common among the Africans brought to America to work the fields. This particular haplogroup is concentrated in East Africa. I decided to take the test with family tree dna because they have the largest data base period. But to define my group further I am going to take the SNP test offered by www.genebase.com and not www.familytreedna.com.

African ancestry test are diagnosed by www.familytreedna.com, however your results will not become part of family tree data based. Once taking the test with African ancestry you have to choice of taking another test. Which I believe is a genealogy test (not sure, I asked so long ago) for $700.

True www.familytreedna.com has the autosomal test that can be taken for around $400. But www.ancestybydna.com will do a admixture test (basically an autosomal) test for $240.

Just to test yourself is like diving into the ocean and hoping to find a pearl just laying around. Because you are just testing less then 1 percent of your genome. This is hay it would be more beneficial to test other members of your family who are from the same line (ie your brother, sister, grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, and cousins) that you are investigating. Just, do not expect everyone to have the same results as you. Not even your siblings, because what you inherit in your genes will not be the same thing your sibling inherits. Unless you are identical twins.

CocoButta
04-09-2008, 07:30 PM
This sounds really interesting. I'm going to have to check it out. Thank you for the link.

Totallycool
04-13-2008, 04:15 PM
I took the mtDNA test from two different sites, www.familytreedna.com and www.genebase.com. Both test came out identical, and indicated that my haplogroup is L3f. Which is not common among the Africans brought to America to work the fields. This particular haplogroup is concentrated in East Africa. I decided to take the test with family tree dna because they have the largest data base period. But to define my group further I am going to take the SNP test offered by www.genebase.com and not www.familytreedna.com.

African ancestry test are diagnosed by www.familytreedna.com, however your results will not become part of family tree data based. Once taking the test with African ancestry you have to choice of taking another test. Which I believe is a genealogy test (not sure, I asked so long ago) for $700.

True www.familytreedna.com has the autosomal test that can be taken for around $400. But www.ancestybydna.com will do a admixture test (basically an autosomal) test for $240.

Just to test yourself is like diving into the ocean and hoping to find a pearl just laying around. Because you are just testing less then 1 percent of your genome. This is hay it would be more beneficial to test other members of your family who are from the same line (ie your brother, sister, grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, and cousins) that you are investigating. Just, do not expect everyone to have the same results as you. Not even your siblings, because what you inherit in your genes will not be the same thing your sibling inherits. Unless you are identical twins.
[/b]

So which one tells me what tribe or Country I am from? That's what I want to know. I want to know my ethnicity not just a region

SweetHoneyLocs
04-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Africanancestry.com tells you which tribe/ethnicity.

Totallycool
04-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Africanancestry.com tells you which tribe/ethnicity.
[/b]

Thankyou

Tierras
03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
So.. I did it.. I put in my order for the Matriclan test today!!! And I'm going to ask my brother to buy one and take the test too, so we can find out what out Dad comes from (that's how it works, right?)!!

It cost me $309.. but it's worth it, to me.. So very worth it. I am really excited to see.. I really, really am.

AutumnBeauty
05-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I wish they had a KIT so you could order the maternal and paternal side, without having to come off $800. I want to find out where both sides of my family are from, not just one but I cant just gice up $800 right now... :(

Tierras
05-06-2009, 04:06 AM
I wish they had a KIT so you could order the maternal and paternal side, without having to come off $800. I want to find out where both sides of my family are from, not just one but I cant just gice up $800 right now... :(
[/b]

Well.. you can't exactly take the Paternal test, so you shouldn't have to pay for it.. just a suggestion.. make your brother? father? pay for it!! :P