PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Info/advice

Pheno09
04-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi, I am a mixed race woman and I'm interested in finding out about my African ancestry, the black side of my family are black carrib/south Americans. I'm asking 2 things really 1) does anyone know of a place that offers tests below £500 and 2) Due to a set of tragic circumstances, I cannot get any DNA from my fathers side (the black side) so are there any tests that would be able to trace my African heritage, just using me?
Doing research it's starting to seem that with the loss of my family, means perhaps the loss of ever finding out what part of Africa we came from. I imagine it must be an amazing journey to discover what regions, tribes, people, traditions you come from and if they ever migrated from here-there.
I'm basically on this mission to reclaim my African ancestry (since the european 1 is so ingrained, I have no choice but to know it) and I'd like to know what my family's surname was before they we're shipped/traded to South America and lost their names to a jewish surname that belonged to our token jew in the family.
I'm sure there must be a variety of reasons why people would want to take these tests and explore, what have been your reasons (if you don't mind me asking).
Thank you, TAKE CARE

laurend
04-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi, I am a mixed race woman and I'm interested in finding out about my African ancestry, the black side of my family are black carrib/south Americans. I'm asking 2 things really 1) does anyone know of a place that offers tests below £500 and 2) Due to a set of tragic circumstances, I cannot get any DNA from my fathers side (the black side) so are there any tests that would be able to trace my African heritage, just using me?
Doing research it's starting to seem that with the loss of my family, means perhaps the loss of ever finding out what part of Africa we came from. I imagine it must be an amazing journey to discover what regions, tribes, people, traditions you come from and if they ever migrated from here-there.
I'm basically on this mission to reclaim my African ancestry (since the european 1 is so ingrained, I have no choice but to know it) and I'd like to know what my family's surname was before they we're shipped/traded to South America and lost their names to a jewish surname that belonged to our token jew in the family.
I'm sure there must be a variety of reasons why people would want to take these tests and explore, what have been your reasons (if you don't mind me asking).
Thank you, TAKE CARE
[/b]

I don't think so, but to be sure go to africanancestry.com or africanancestrydna.com(I'm not sure of the web address). They have an interactive map you can use to see who you need to test to get the results.

SweetHoneyLocs
04-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Using African ancestry.com will be of no help to you. Because the test would be a mtDNA test, which would test your mother's lineage. The only test that can be recommend for you is the one from ancestrybydna.com, the test they use is a admixture test. But this may not be what you are looking for still. Because you pretty much know your history, put it will give some light on what ethnic backgrounds are in your genetic makeup.

Do you have any brothers from the same father? If so then they could do a yDNA test, from either familytreedna.com or africanancestry.com. This test will trace your father's lineage giving you more insight to the African line. HTH

Pheno09
04-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Using African ancestry.com will be of no help to you. Because the test would be a mtDNA test, which would test your mother's lineage. The only test that can be recommend for you is the one from ancestrybydna.com, the test they use is a admixture test. But this may not be what you are looking for still. Because you pretty much know your history, put it will give some light on what ethnic backgrounds are in your genetic makeup.

Do you have any brothers from the same father? If so then they could do a yDNA test, from either familytreedna.com or africanancestry.com. This test will trace your father's lineage giving you more insight to the African line. HTH
[/b]

Hi SheilaS, thanks for that, I had a lock on the site and it al requires a male (which I'm not) if I wish to find out about my African heritage. Sw33tHon3yTwist, thank you for that link, I'll check it out. I don't have any siblings at all, 1 thing I'm worried about is that, since most European dna has some African link that's all any test will show, my mother little bit of African DNA.

I've drawn up a family tree for my Dad's side with about as much as I can remember, thing is, I don't have any dates. How would I be able to track my heritage that way? And how would I go about asking for birth certificates?
Anyway, thank you all again

Pheno09
04-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi SheilaS, thanks for that, I had a lock on the site and it al requires a male (which I'm not) if I wish to find out about my African heritage. Sw33tHon3yTwist, thank you for that link, I'll check it out. I don't have any siblings at all, 1 thing I'm worried about is that, since most European dna has some African link that's all any test will show, my mother little bit of African DNA.

I've drawn up a family tree for my Dad's side with about as much as I can remember, thing is, I don't have any dates. How would I be able to track my heritage that way? And how would I go about asking for birth certificates?
Anyway, thank you all again
[/b]
Crap!!! lol just realised if I go the route I just suggested, I gotta go back 500yrs plus and even then, little to no documents were held on slaves. How would I go about finding out which exact regions slaves were taken from, West Africa is too Vague. God I'm starting to worry, I'm never going to find who my family were.

SweetHoneyLocs
04-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Do you know where your father was born? If so you should be able to able to request a birth certificate? Once you have that you can see who are named as his parents, then do a search on their names to see if they had other children.

If your mother's lineage to an African link is thru a woman, then taking a mtDNA test will let you know which region you are linked. I would recommend using www.familytreedna.com over www.africanancestry.com because of the circumstances.

Pheno09
04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Do you know where your father was born? If so you should be able to able to request a birth certificate? Once you have that you can see who are named as his parents, then do a search on their names to see if they had other children.

If your mother's lineage to an African link is thru a woman, then taking a mtDNA test will let you know which region you are linked. I would recommend using www.familytreedna.com over www.africanancestry.com because of the circumstances.
[/b]
hi, sweet, thank you again. I now where his parents are from so, I can start with that. hanks for the websites and info, I'll keep looking.
All the best