PDA

View Full Version : Can I Get Me A Loc Buddy Please?

Debmat
04-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi :D

Been locing just under a year and im ready to start DIY.

My hair is soft and wavy with loose curl, but i am currently having problems with locking the front although the rest has started to loc well.

I have bought the rasta mango and lime range products but not sure if this is a good move. I went out saturday night so did my hairline (I twisted/palm rolled the front) and it looked cool but still nervous about tackling my whole head. It really needs washing so i think i will do it this weekend.

I started with comb coils and like the look of this but if i start latching (which i have no idea how do do) will this give my locs a bumpy texture?

I need to get my a** to the gym and maybe swim again and have used my hair as an excuse for too long, lol but i heard latching is good if you are active as you get a tighter root

A few pics of my journey

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm137/deemat_2008/Picture8.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm137/deemat_2008/Picture17.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm137/deemat_2008/022408164600-1.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm137/deemat_2008/040508150842-1.jpg
The white stuff at the front is grey hair :unsure: lol

Any help appreciated

D (the UK Napp)

KnottyAuthor
04-23-2008, 05:11 PM
well, imma hook you up with a sista who started with coils and has been latching since day 1. a challenge you will face, as those of us who start off with braids,2st,or coils is the ends WILL BE FATTER than the new growth that you latch into a lock. if that's fine, cool. if not, you can always cut it off later. or not. i choose to keep my phat ends.

http://members.fotki.com/akandetrust/about/

she probably would 'mentor' you and give you practicle advise applicable to YOUR locks

Debmat
04-23-2008, 07:51 PM
well, imma hook you up with a sista who started with coils and has been latching since day 1. a challenge you will face, as those of us who start off with braids,2st,or coils is the ends WILL BE FATTER than the new growth
[/b]

Looking forward to my hook up Cheleski

Yes i heard of this 'fat tips' i think is the term, lol. I had a few of them creep up on me and im ashamed to say i cut them but not all. I cant decide if i like a long ringlet, fat tip or blunt cut ends! I kinda like all three but probably will have to decide sooner or later.

Thanks ;)

janelporter
04-28-2008, 04:34 AM
hi doll_e: i'm not a latcher nor am i the last word in loc'ing, but i'd love to be your buddy! your hair looks great; i will be so happy when i get some of that length! looks like you're starting off well and the grey hair is all right too; i'm right there with ya! just call me the silver fox...LOL! hugs and peace, janel

Debmat
05-03-2008, 11:51 AM
hi doll_e: i'm not a latcher nor am i the last word in loc'ing, but i'd love to be your buddy! your hair looks great; i will be so happy when i get some of that length! looks like you're starting off well and the grey hair is all right too; i'm right there with ya! just call me the silver fox...LOL! hugs and peace, janel
[/b]

Hi Janel thanks for your response

Yes it would be great to have you as a buddy as my jouney feels kina lonely at the minute i am the only person in my circle fam/freinds that is locked so they cant help me but saying that i've had nothing but good comments from them and public but that may change now i've started diy :unsure:, lol!

I did my first wash and retwist last sunday and posted a thread i think its still there. The results were not salon perfect and i was getting frustrated with the twisting but my next effort will be better. Patience is not my strong point <_<

I think i just need to get a good routine going and i&#39;ll be cool, What stage are you at and do you have a fotki or any pics?

Thanx D

janelporter
05-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi Janel thanks for your response

Yes it would be great to have you as a buddy as my jouney feels kina lonely at the minute i am the only person in my circle fam/freinds that is locked so they cant help me but saying that i&#39;ve had nothing but good comments from them and public but that may change now i&#39;ve started diy :unsure:, lol!

I did my first wash and retwist last sunday and posted a thread i think its still there. The results were not salon perfect and i was getting frustrated with the twisting but my next effort will be better. Patience is not my strong point <_<

I think i just need to get a good routine going and i&#39;ll be cool, What stage are you at and do you have a fotki or any pics?

Thanx D
[/b]

hi doll_e! good to hear from you. i&#39;m sure that your diy will be just fine. who needs salon perfect? i went in exactly twice--once to get the perm cut off and the comb coils started, once to get my first wash, 2 weeksafter the initial coils. i&#39;m now maintaining copletely on my own and love it! my parts aren&#39;t salon perfect anymore and i don&#39;t care--it&#39;s great! i think i&#39;m at the teenages stage more or less--some of the coils have started loc&#39;n but they&#39;re still soft. my hair is fairly soft and more wavy now than kinky--the texture has definitely changed with the years. it&#39;s growing leaps and bounds, for which i&#39;m thankful. my fotki is in my signature; i&#39;m about ready to post some more pics, just as soon as i decide if i want to spend the $30 for an unlimited fotki account! i also have a couple o videos posted on my fotki page, you micht want to check them out.

anyway, just keep hangin&#39; around here on np--you won&#39;t be lonely in yout joyrney anymore! hugs and peace, janel

KimGrayer
06-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I started with comb coils 9 months ago and I latch to maintain. My ends are sealed in the back and the sides. I still have curly q ends on the top but it&#39;s cool. I wash my hair once a week, sometimes more. I latch my new growth whenever the mood strikes me, usually once a month or so. I don&#39;t do my whole head at once, just whenever I feel like doing a few while watching TV or at work reading NP. If you decide to latch, I can be your lock buddy if you want.

naturalcd
07-08-2008, 11:53 PM
well, imma hook you up with a sista who started with coils and has been latching since day 1. a challenge you will face, as those of us who start off with braids,2st,or coils is the ends WILL BE FATTER than the new growth that you latch into a lock. if that&#39;s fine, cool. if not, you can always cut it off later. or not. i choose to keep my phat ends.

http://members.fotki.com/akandetrust/about/

she probably would &#39;mentor&#39; you and give you practicle advise applicable to YOUR locks
[/b]

I always wondered about the fat ends...I thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the post!