PDA

View Full Version : Since When Is My Heritage Unimportant?

Totallycool
04-30-2008, 12:47 AM
:soapbox: My dad really pissed me off when he said that a DNA test was a stupid waste of money. I understand he doesn't want to contribute to the cause bc of financial reasons but that really REALLY pissed me off! He might not care about his heritage but I believe that knowing where I am from is empowering not meaningless! Boy my blood is boiling right now! Have any of you experienced this?

treneece
05-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I have experienced something similar. Of course I was upset but got over it. What I had to realize is that others may not be as interested in genealogy as I am for whatever reason and it is ok. I take help from those who want to help me, I thank them and keep moving.

Genealogy is amazing so don't stop on account of others, if you are truly interested.

pisces33
05-02-2008, 09:32 AM
I just got my Genebase (http://www.genebase.com/) kit in the mail yesterday.....I can't wait to know the results :) . I paid about $119 for mine. I think it's important to know where we all came from and like treneece said, don't let anyone stop you from what's important to you ;) .

Good luck on your journey of self discovery! :D

purebodydetox
01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm finding this same sentiment as I look for, and actually find, people I'm related to. some of the findings have been easy thanks to very rare surnames. I've come to the understanding that my parent comes from a branch rather disconnected, among themselves as well as with other branches of the family. I still haven't come across any patriarch or matriarch figure who bridges the gaps. There about 8 siblings and over 24 grandkids, and then the offspring from my grandparents siblings and their kids.

no one wants to share info. I'm making effort not to be a nuisance, but I feel like one nonetheless. Well, I WANT TO KNOW. It's not hard for them to confirm who I am in relation to them.

It seems to me that the people finding relatives far removed from them get more reception from those they find, than I am getting finding people I'm rather closely related to.

BlackAngelPlayah
01-30-2009, 07:29 PM
:wub: My husband is like that.. He tells me that most black folks here came most likely from West Africa because that was the easiest ship route. I haven't even brought up buying a DNA test. I know he'd just tell me, "I already told you where we come from! That's just a waste of money!" But I do wanna know.. I wanna know all my background.. Maybe I'll save up for 2, so he can see where the black part of his family is from too.. :) He can pretty much trace the white side cause they got records and are related to some famous business person and all that crap... But I'm not concerned with that side at all, mainly the African side. So the way I deal is I'm SECRETELY saving money up for this. :D

:afro: Jen :afro:

QVCDiva
02-21-2009, 09:16 PM
You know I think a lot of the attitude toward genealogy comes from the shame of slavery or maybe a shame that occurred within the family, which often times we, the searcher, have no clue about. When I started my genealogical research the reaction between my dad's side of the family and my mom's side was like night and day. But I had sort of figured out it was going to be like that even before I started.

Here is how I knew. Growing up my mom, her brothers and sisters and my grandad always talked about when they were kids, etc. and even though mom and my aunts and uncles never met any of their grandparents they talked about what they knew. Now my dad's side of the family is like they never went through childhood. They were born and were suddenly adults. I never heard them talk about what they did as children, etc. Whenever you asked them anything about their grandparents, etc., they never could tell you anything or it could have been that they didn't want to talk about it. I finally decided to just set out on my own. Whenever, I tried to tell them what I had found out, they just ignored me or started some illogical arguement about what I had found. I've finally concluded that there is some painful / shameful memory or feelings there and I may never uncover let alone understand where it comes from. I don't let this deter me in my quest but I am cognizant of their feelings and often times let them continue to believe what ever it is they want to believe and just bask in the glory of me knowing where I came from.