PDA

View Full Version : Help! Dry Hair

dolli
03-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone i'm new here and I''m loving what I see. I think that this forum is great. My hair is natural it's about 4 inches in lenght and can be dry at times at this moment I am wearing by hair in braids. When I wash my hair I let it air dry is that BAD for my hair? and when I do that it seems to be very very dry when I comb it out. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions or products that I should use. Thanks

naturalay
03-31-2004, 06:39 PM
Products with shea butter or olive oil do wonders for me. :heart

i can just talk about my own experience ,braids tend to dry my hair so i don't keep them more than 2 weeks. i feel my scalp needs moisture so i deep condition regularly (every weeks or every two weeks) i have the feeling that natural hair tends to be drier faster so i have always used dark and lovely cholesterol for conditionning and i have always washed my heir with creme of nature ( revlon red bottle) nothing more...

hope this helps.anyway all the sisters out there will help you
Naturalay :rainfro

natural_hi
04-01-2004, 03:00 AM
Hey Girl--

I had a serious problem with dry hair when I first went natural. That was, until I found GLYCERIN. You can buy it for three bucks and some change at the Asian beauty supply stores (I've never seen it at Sally's).

The first bottle I bought was made my Southern Curl. It was in a clear bottle. The product is clear like water, but looks like it would have the same feeling as hot oil. But upon touching it, you'll find it's water-based.

The next bottle I bought (they were out of the other one) looked more watery, but felt slippery, but not greasy. (It kinda puts me in the mind of Sta-Sof-Fro from back in the day). But it works wonders. My hair is shiny and this stuff really better defines my curls.

Please note that glycerin attracts moisture, so make sure you use it while you are styling your hair. If you use it as a finish, particularly on twistouts, it will make your hair swell and your twist outs will look more like an afro. I normally use it on my hair as a moisturizer before I apply gel or wax for twists, shake'n go, etc .

Another thing I had to change was my shampoo and conditioner. I used everything: KeraCare, Thermasilk, Dudley. NOTHING worked, until I tried Paul Mitchell's Instant Moisture Daily Shampoo and Conditioner. Since I've used this shampoo and conditioner, followed by the glycerin before applying gel or wax, my hair feels like the softest cotton.

Also, whenever I need a thorough condition, I will use either Cholesterol or Paul Mitchell's Super Charged Moisturizer. I put either on my hair and sit under a hair dryer for 20 minutes. (The heat opens the cuticles, thus allowing the conditioner to get down into the cuticle). Then I rinse with the coldest water I can stand. (The cold water shuts the cuticle down, thus making my hair more shiny).

Didn't mean to write a book, but hope this helps!

peace