PDA

View Full Version : The Only Natural In A Room Fool Of Press N Curls, Weaves, And Perms!

elaynej24
05-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Hello Everyone!!

I made my natural hair debut at a gathering with many of my close friends and family. I've only been natural going on three weeks now. I must admit, I was very nervous about going to the gathering with my hair out natural. These are people who love to have their hair straight, weaved, and/or pressed. I convinced myself that was going to have the upmost confidence and not care what they might say. When I walked in, no one said anything about my hair. We took a picture, and I stood out from the group because of my hair. (I was happy about that) Later in the evening, one girl commented that she like it. But I coulnd't help but wonder what everyone else was thinking? My boyfriend encouraged me and told me that I was the realest(is that a word?) out of the bunch because I didn't have anything fake on me, but still I was a little intimated. I know I shouldn't care, but I still wonder. How have any of you handled this type of situation. Please let me know for encouragement.

Thanks,

Still Happy being Nappy,

Renee

onyx_nightshade
05-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Be proud to stand out from the crowd! I bet your hair looked BEAUTIFUL and sometimes it intimidates women to see another woman who feels so confident in who she is naturally. Being something you're not takes ALOT of work.

AccordingtoJessi
05-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I felt the same way that you did but just realize that you are beautiful and natural hair is beautiful.

nappyeditor
05-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm often the only nappy in a room full of permed heads. I've only recently started wearing my hair out and honestly, I do get nervous. I think I feel most out of place at church, but I haven't heard any negative comments or anything. We had to stand in front of the congregation last Sunday with some other folks and I was SO nervous! I've received some compliments, but I just sport my hair with confidence. The first time I went to church with my loose hair out, I think the reason I was so anxious was b/c when I asked a group of the ladies from church if they knew anyone who did natural hair, she said, "What's that?" :lol:

elaynej24
05-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Be proud to stand out from the crowd! I bet your hair looked BEAUTIFUL and sometimes it intimidates women to see another woman who feels so confident in who she is naturally. Being something you're not takes ALOT of work.
[/b]
You're absolutely right about that!! Thanks!

I felt the same way that you did but just realize that you are beautiful and natural hair is beautiful.
[/b]

Thank you!!!

I'm often the only nappy in a room full of permed heads. I've only recently started wearing my hair out and honestly, I do get nervous. I think I feel most out of place at church, but I haven't heard any negative comments or anything. We had to stand in front of the congregation last Sunday with some other folks and I was SO nervous! I've received some compliments, but I just sport my hair with confidence. The first time I went to church with my loose hair out, I think the reason I was so anxious was b/c when I asked a group of the ladies from church if they knew anyone who did natural hair, she said, "What's that?" :lol:
[/b]
LOl.......That is funny!!!!

LBellatrix
05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
First off...CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to la vida napptural! :)

Secondly...in that situation most people know better than to say anything negative about my hair directly to my face. However, on occasion women will make these offhand oblique comments that aren't directed specifically at me, like "Yeah, girl, you know I HAD to get these naps out." This has happened enough for me to know that my naps are definitely speaking to some folks and they don't like what they're hearing. But...since they're not directly directed at me, I keep my mouth shut.

You probably already know this if you've spent any quality time on this site, but I'll say it anyway: A lot of black folks are STILL intimidated by natural hair on black women in 2008. However, a fair number of black folks don't care.

Unless you know for sure that someone has a problem, spare yourself the stress and do what I do: Hold your head high, remember that you're not doing anything that 90% of the world isn't doing, and make sure you're caught up on your inoculations against that disease known as Other People's Insecurities. ;)

NyckeiXXIV
05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
^^^^^ That's some sad ish right there... Just wow!
They didn't even know what natural hair was. Man, just when you think you've dug to the depths of ignorance, someone comes along and shatters that notion.

Scarletjazz
05-12-2008, 06:54 PM
I think we've all been thru that.. the first time out nappy.. grrl afterwards its back to the norm..
What I like also is when I see another nappy... sometimes when I get off the train everyone is in
this big crowd and I'll see one with a twist out, puff, and a twa like me... I say to myself THUMBS UP, NAPPYS REPRESENT... I'm on my second bc due to breakage/damage and I really wanted some kinky twists but think my hair is too short now.. so I'm going to continue rocking my twa for the summer... and its not a problem... NAPPYS ROCK ON :)

LadyLibra
05-12-2008, 07:13 PM
LOL yeah at first it is normal to be anxious. i mean we all fear the unknown a little bit right? and you are stepping into the unknown.

nowadays i don't really think about my hair once i step out of the house. sometimes people are staring at me and i'm like :huh: "wth are they looking at? do i have a stain on my clothes? no they're staring up higher, maybe i have a pimple on my forehead? oh that's right... my hair... i forgot!" :lol:

somewhere along the line when i was growing up, i decided that if i'm gonna be shoved into the spotlight that i'm gonna put on a dayum good show. for whatever reason i have always "stood out" anyway, i'm not the kind of person who can ever truly blend into the background. so i might as well hold my head up high and not worry about who's looking and what they're thinking. cuz there will always be haters, they will pick ANYTHING to hate on you for. sure i still have my moments but for the most part i shake it off and keep going. also i'm not afraid to make a fool of myself (thankfully, cuz i do it on a daily basis :lol: ) so immediately that takes a lot of pressure off too.

Cathypoo
05-13-2008, 12:53 AM
It's been awhile since I've been around a significant number of permies. I live in the Chi but I'm studying marine science in florida at what might as well be an all white school. My roomie and our other best friend are all college nappies and people look at us like we're from another planet. Some openly tell us they think we're beautiful. Others keep their mouths shut. Either way, whether we're being told or not, we know we're fine just the way God made us. Others know that too. They simply have to deal with the same false ideas of beauty as many of us had to before we got hip to the power of the fro ^_^

Uta
05-13-2008, 04:21 PM
well its only been 1 month and a few days since i have been all natural ... but folks have not really seen my hair until this week when i did some twist and wore the front curled up and the back pinned.. i got lots of stares a lot.. some folks commented that i am brave.. i mean what is that suppose to mean.. ooh well.. my mom loved it! my pal was calling me sistren..lol she a mess.. and some other friends loved it..

my co workers were stunned.. some spoke.. some were silent but stared.. but as i say ooh well .. I AM NOT MY HAIR!!!!

i am enjoying and learning this new experience! i am sure there is much more to behold.. but in the meantime i will be building my confidence to withstand all those haters when they dare reckon with my hair! .....lol

Bless ladies.. Remember " Its not about being different, its about making a difference"