PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Length Challenge

Str8toFro
05-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I figured I would start the continuation since the last thread was closed. I got some new shampoo bars and tried two of them today. I liked them and can't wait to try the other ones. I'm redoing my hair because the style had in I'm not liking. I had it in 3st twists and I think 2st twists look better now that I am passed that awful 5-6 inch length. My hair is definitely growing and I will have new pictures soon I think.

monappy28
05-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I am joining this challenge too! I joined the length retention challenge because I really do want to retain my length(even though I get the urge to cut my hair all over again :blush: ), and my goal is to have shoulder length hair by my next nappiversary! I hope I can last that long and I hope I can treat my hair good enough to be able to retain that much length by next year. Keep posting yall so that I know what to do to have shoulder length hair by next summer!

NapturalCollegeQueen
05-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Yep yep, it's bout time for me to join in :) My hair is approximately 6-6/12 inches, but it's in layers, so the tops are like 4-5. Anyway, when my back is stretched it hits collar bone. So in another 6 months or so, I'd like to be past my shoulder on my way to APL.

Alastri
05-11-2008, 07:24 AM
my hair feels great! i think it's protective styles + qhemet + vatika oil + black castor oil....my hair is in heaven! i haven't done a henna in months and my hair feels smooth and soft. henna-ing right now, leaving it in overnight. will post results in my fotki :)

Puffalishous
05-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm getting kinda of frustrated with my hair..... It's growing but it's also becoming more difficult to detangle. My ends will become entangled and a hair ball will form and I have to cut it off. I dust my ends about every six to eight weeks so Im not sure why my hair is acting like this. I was wearing my hair in 2s twists but for the past week or so I had been wearing my hair out. I am going to have to do some protective style again because I cannot wear my hair out for long. I still have not posted starting pics and updates. I swear I cannot find my usb cord to upload my pics from my camera

whitney
05-11-2008, 05:02 PM
i'm joining too b/c i've been natural for 5 1/2 years and when my hair is stretched i have ~ 5" so i figured it's time to take care of my hair and really keep it in protective styles. I'm doing box braids right now but i'm making them very small and even though i trimmed 4 weeks ago i'm goin to trim again b/c i'm realizing as i braid my ends are scraggly and kinda tangled so that mess has to go. i'm goin to try to keep these in for at least 4 weeks b/c i did acv and baking soda rinse so my scalp shouldn't get all itchy after 10 days like it normally does and force me to take my hair down. i'm almost halfway done w/ my braids so i'm gonna sit myself and watch indiana jones on usa.

i'll post pics in my fotki, speaking of fotki does anyone actually pay for theirs b/c last time i checked i used all my space :(

GOOD LUCK PEEPS!!!!!!!!

amberdcox
05-11-2008, 07:08 PM
I've been in this challenge by default. I've been wearing protective styles for about a month and some change. Mostly two strand twists. It takes forever to do them, but they last a good two weeks, and then a twist out for about 4-5 days.

I think I'm going to keep this up through August and incorporate a multi-vitamin. I hope to get 2-3 more inches in that time frame.

I got my BC last August and haven't had a trim since then. When its time I will probably do it myself seeing as many stylists like to take inches off and not dust the ends.

So my regimen is as follows: Wash and deep condition with TJ nourish spa/olive oil/honey or Elasta QP DPR-11/Honey/Olive oil.

Plait hair into large braids to stretch.

Take out the next day and that night twist with Qhemet Burdock Root butter cream/Honey Hair balm or Heavy Cream/Hair balm.

Wear twists for 2+ weeks followed by a twist out for a few days.

Wash and start over.

santwon
05-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey, it's good to be back/get started. Me and my hair are doing better and better each day. I try not to fight with it while it tries not to make me mad. I'm still loving my shealoe and I'm puffing it, cuz it's the quickest style I know how to do.

B_Phlyy
05-12-2008, 02:54 AM
I'm still in braids, but I've started co washing and DCing every 3 days. My hair feels more moisturized and lessed tangled when I redo some of the braids. No noticable length changes yet, but I know it will come in time.

rhoglnn
05-12-2008, 05:03 AM
getting my second set of twist during this challenge tomorrow. I am going to measure my growth this time. Anyone using Doo grow?. Lemme search

DanniLuv
05-12-2008, 06:30 AM
I'm in, I am 3-4 inches and I want to be shoulder length by January 2009. I am working on it the best I can. I gotta get growing.

feedinghissheep
05-12-2008, 07:00 AM
I'm still in braids, but I've started co washing and DCing every 3 days. My hair feels more moisturized and lessed tangled when I redo some of the braids. No noticable length changes yet, but I know it will come in time.
[/b]

your fotki has some great stuff ms. afro thunder, thanks. i am glad you talked about the cathy howse book. i had bought the book and over $130.0 in products before joining this site. the book was okay, but the products were a disappointment because they have cones, parabens and urea. these are no-no's for us nappies, so i won't be reordering. besides, she is totally into relaxing, heat, etc. so after i found my new found nappturality family i never looked back.

i am still wearing braids when i don't wear my afro, but i guess i am not in any of the challenges cuz i am just loving my hair being so healthy that i really don't care about the length. i mean what does it matter if you are bra strap, waist length, cheekbone, ya know? the longer the hair i guess the more styling options, so for some i can see why they want it, but for me personally, i went natural for the pride of being nappy and the low maintenance, so the last thing i need is hair down my back to do everyday!!!!!! when it was straight it was bra strap length and i wore it in a bun for over 20 years...go figure

peace and blessings to you all.

cooyah
05-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Just staking my spot out. Still claiming shoulder length for March 2009

I have been doing very well with my supplements, switched braid sprays from Better Braids to African Royale and :wub: the softness AR provides, I can't keep my hand out. I do however need to do a light protein soon, maybe this weekend.

Batyah
05-12-2008, 02:03 PM
my hair feels great! i think it's protective styles + qhemet + vatika oil + black castor oil....my hair is in heaven! i haven't done a henna in months and my hair feels smooth and soft. henna-ing right now, leaving it in overnight. will post results in my fotki :)
[/b]
Alastri, you're like me. I do protective styles, use vatika/coconut oil, qhemet products, and black castor oil on my hair. My hair loves them all. :wub:

Uta
05-12-2008, 03:25 PM
i think i can join in on this! since i have been natural which is just a month and change.. i am now in month 2....i have been wearing protective styles.. have not worn my hair out at no time. and i have about 4-5inches.. maybe more.. i have no clue.. ( check my fotki)..

my goal is 10-12 inches by my nappy anniversary! But i guess i will make a short term challenge which would be 7 inches after 5 months! so more protective styles for me, less products.. more things natural ( products ingredients) .. vitamins and water water water!

purplelight
05-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm in I have about 5in and I would like to have shoulder length by yr anniversary which is the end of Oct.
or aleast 7in to 8 in by then.
So are we suppose to keep it in protective styles the whole time or can we have it out as well because I like my fro too and I am still trying to master the 2str twist and coils which I would love to do on my hair once I get the hang of it. I don't have fotiki yet but I will work on that so I can post pics.

nappyeditor
05-12-2008, 07:43 PM
I love wearing my hair out, but I think the constant manipulation isn't going to be my friend in this challenge. I don't like the way my twists look, but I think I'll try once more on some microtwists when I have the time, hopefully next weekend. If they look a mess, I'll get some kinky twists or something. I just hate to pay the hairdresser ....

Str8toFro
05-12-2008, 08:26 PM
From what I gathered there are no set rules it's more like a gathering place for anyone looking to grow their to shoulder length.

I personally try and keep my hair in protective styles as often as possible. I had it out for two weeks and even though I didn't comb it once I felt like with all the tangles it was worse than just combing it every day.

I know for me as it gets warmer I may wear it out more often only because I know I can wet it and untangle any issues every day if I choose. Right now I have in 2st twists and I think they would look better smaller. Since this is a learning process at every length there is a new challenge. I think I'm at about 7-8 inches and I feel like smaller twists will look better and last longer. This twists I just put in and already they look rough and used.

monappy28
05-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Okay, I posted and joined the challenge earlier but I didn't give any stats or goals. My hair is currently about six inches long, 5 inches or a little less in other spots. When the sides are stretched, they are about 2 inches from my collar bone, the back hair reach right at hat hard spot on the back of your neck. My bangs stretch to right between my eyes. I am looking to have about 9 inches of hair by christmas time and 12 inches by my next nappiversary(June 09). I think that will put me at shoulder lenght. I've been debating on whether I should get a trim on my nappiversary which is June 2nd. I'm scared they will cut off my progress, but my ends don't feel raggedy to me, but I'm sure they could use some trimming. I want to get some micro's some time this summer, but I don't want to spend the money, cause I am going on a budget. Well, that's it for now, I will post later!

soft_napps
05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
I dont remember if I joined this or not...if not, then I'm joining now...my goal is shoulder length unstretched by next year...I'm already shoulder length stretched...I don't do anything special...I wash and do every day...oil and leave in condish @ night...shampoo once a week and detangle...which I am finding so unnecessary...so I may start waiting 2-3 weeks for the detangle...we'll see....I don't plan to do any protective styles until it gets cold...but all in all my hair is healthy happy and on the grow...

tua05612
05-12-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm still in! For the first time this past week when I washed my hair, it felt like I was getting somewhere. My wet length is reaching my shoulders!!!! It even LOOKED longer in the mirror!!! I'm so excited!!

I ran out of vitamins, but I have to find some more that can hold up to the ones I have. I found my old brand in CVS for about half the price!!! I have to take my bottle and compare ingredients, though.

I've actually been trying to do LESS to my hair and have been getting great results. My hair is getting softer and stronger than ever, but I am also getting more knots as it gets longer. I guess that means 2st for me as well. I tried some and I didn't like them too much, so I took them out, I'm hoping they will get better as I gain length. My shrinkage is CRAZY though. I didn't like the way they hung. The twists in the longest areas (5-6 inches) looked great, so I'll just try them again in another few weeks when the back and sides get that long.

Other than that, my hair is loving it's 55 or 6 ingredients, I'm keeping it simple and loving it. I was actually getting tired of doing my hair, which explains that less is more approach, so I'm trying to keep this up and focus on other parts of my body cuz beach season is COMING!!!!!!

QueenScorpio
05-13-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm going to join in too...I recently cut my hair to about 2inches and this time I'm going to let it grow and SL sounds like a good length...I should be close by May of next year if I don't give in and cut it again.

My stats are: I have 2inches of hair all around and I have it cornrowed once a week and sometmes I'll wear it out in a fro. My hair is considered a CNapp. I am scissor happy so that has to change and joining this seems to be the best way to do that.

I don't have a DC so no pics... :unsure:

rhoglnn
05-13-2008, 03:52 AM
It's official. I told my braider that I think my hair grew a full inch in 3 weeks. She confirmed it today. She can't believe how much growth I have so I told her about Moe's Growth Oil. She kinda glazed over so I think I was talking in napp language so I broke down the ingredients. I just got a "oh". She said keep on going though.

Sooooooo, I noticed one thing. My hair in the frohawk area grows really long really fast and the sides like to curl up, draw up and tighten up. Frohawk hair swings and the side hair clings. Frustrating.

guapa1
05-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Just staking my spot out. Still claiming shoulder length for March 2009

I have been doing very well with my supplements, switched braid sprays from Better Braids to African Royale and :wub: the softness AR provides, I can't keep my hand out. I do however need to do a light protein soon, maybe this weekend.
[/b]

Ooh thanks for the tip. I'll pick up some AR if I braid my hair again. Why don't you put a little saa in the bottle. Then you'll be getting a little protein everyday too. Or do you think it's too much?

It's official. I told my braider that I think my hair grew a full inch in 3 weeks. She confirmed it today. She can't believe how much growth I have so I told her about Moe's Growth Oil. She kinda glazed over so I think I was talking in napp language so I broke down the ingredients. I just got a "oh". She said keep on going though.

:lol:
Well done on your progress. I need to be consistent with using my oil.

Well I've been keeping it simple. I've been rinsing every few days and DC too and my ends feel normal again, so I won't have to do the big cut I feared I would. I'm sooo happy about that. I think I'll dust my ends anyway at the end of the month.

Sooooooo, I noticed one thing. My hair in the frohawk area grows really long really fast and the sides like to curl up, draw up and tighten up. Frohawk hair swings and the side hair clings. Frustrating.
[/b]

monappy28
05-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Okay ladies, those of you who take vitamins to aid in your health and beauty, what kind are you taking. I have been taking a Women's 1 A Day vitamin and I don't know that it's really helping with my hair and nails. What do you all suggest because I am determined to have some shoulder length hair! I want it to grow longer than that, but I will stick with SL as a first time goal! I am a scissor happy sister, but the more growth I have, the more motivated I become. Besides, i see folks like mwedzi, Chocolatte, and WhitleyGilbert and wish my hair was that long :wub: I was thinking of trying that Vitamin from GNC, you know the one in the purple bottle that says it's for hair nails and skin I think :unsure: Let me know!

Alastri
05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
^^ I need to buy some more vitamins, so I'm waiting on replies too :pop:

cooyah
05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Ooh thanks for the tip. I'll pick up some AR if I braid my hair again. Why don't you put a little saa in the bottle. Then you'll be getting a little protein everyday too. Or do you think it's too much?
[/b]

I usually use SAA in my deep conditioning but that is a fabulous idea!! I didn't even think, :hug: thanks guapa

nappyeditor
05-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Re: vitamins - I know biotin is supposed to help in hair growth. I never remember to take stuff so I probably won't waste my money buying something I won't take :( But try it out, I've seen it in regular drugstores and Target.

BANGBangbby
05-13-2008, 10:50 PM
I'd like to join. Just did my BC and I have no idea what I want to do with my hair. I just know that I want it growing so I can see how it turns out. my hair is about 2-3 inches on top and the back and sides are about 3 cm lol I had the stylist shave/shape it up. I want it to be shoulder length by the end of this year.

Btw, I take Hair skin & nails by GNC and woah. I can see the difference in nails and hair. Everyone told me the first time I cut my hair into a bob, that my hair grew back fast. I cut it in January of 07 and then by the time september rolled around my hair was pas the shoulders.

tua05612
05-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Okay ladies, those of you who take vitamins to aid in your health and beauty, what kind are you taking. I have been taking a Women's 1 A Day vitamin and I don't know that it's really helping with my hair and nails. What do you all suggest because I am determined to have some shoulder length hair! I want it to grow longer than that, but I will stick with SL as a first time goal! I am a scissor happy sister, but the more growth I have, the more motivated I become. Besides, i see folks like mwedzi, Chocolatte, and WhitleyGilbert and wish my hair was that long :wub: I was thinking of trying that Vitamin from GNC, you know the one in the purple bottle that says it's for hair nails and skin I think :unsure: Let me know!
[/b]

I use those. .They are called Futurebiotics. I get them from GNC but my organic supply store has them too. I get an inch every six weeks with them. By the way, my nape area is shoulder length!!!! I am making progress!!!!!

I have a pic in my products folder in my fotki...

I am so in LOVE :wub: :wub: :wub: with my hair right about now. Less is definitely more from now on!!!

amberdcox
05-14-2008, 01:05 AM
My current set of microtwists has been in for two weeks. I am gonna try to make it until saturday. Then I will wear my twist out.

I just got some vatika oil! I guess I can incorporate that into my regimen somehow, along with my Qhemets, Castor Oil, Trader Joe Conditioner, and Elasta QP DPR-11.

Yall I barely get to use all of the stuff I have because my hair stays in protective styles. I just feel like I need to have it just in case.

scifisupergal
05-14-2008, 02:52 AM
I am officially in with this challenge. I want to combat my random cutting.

cooyah
05-14-2008, 03:55 AM
RE: Vitamins

I take a liquid multi from Witamin Shoppe, Hubner Silica gel and Nature's Plus HSN with MSM

Bargello has a great vitamin routine

I measured and my hair is six inches and some places, 7 in others, and 5 in some :P

jgivens3
05-14-2008, 06:36 AM
Ok, so what are the rulesof this challenge? I'd really like to join; 6in or so of hair (top heavy) and all that jazz.
Sorry if someone already asked and/or posted answer in this particular thread...but I only scrolled the first few comments :D

guapa1
05-14-2008, 10:11 AM
You're welcome Tenny! :)

Re vits... All I'm taking is msm and a multivitamin.

Msm is supposed to be fabulous, but you have to drink water. I've just upped my dosage and am breaking out because for the past few days I've hardly had any water.

JoLondon, think about a regimen you think would work for you, post it up and stick to it. Then update us with how it's working and your hair is doing. I went through the first two threads to get some idea of a regimen. HTH.

Batyah
05-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Ok ladies, this is my hair goal/inspiration. I'm drooling over her hair. :) The pictures of the length of her hair un-stretched is what I want to attain. Once I get there, I'll be... the BOMB DIGGITY!! :P :lol:
Tallgirl's Fotki (http://public.fotki.com/Bright--Eyes/2008/)

Str8toFro
05-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I want that length by the end of the year. Protectivve styles here I come. It's a good thing I don't like having my hair out during the summer. It's thick and makes mt head really hot when it's out. I like it in small twists right now because they have some movement and my scalp can breathe.

ldyson85
05-17-2008, 05:40 AM
I am new. My niece told me about this site so here I am. She even made a sig to look like me.

I have 3". My niece made my Moe's growth oil. We picked out Sweet Orange oil essential for fragrance. Today I will start the shoulder length challenge.

She told me that she thinks that I am a CNapp. What is a CNapp?

BANGBangbby
05-17-2008, 01:50 PM
someone with no curl definition is a CNapp

naturallyborn
05-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi

I am a new member and I am joining the challege!! Next month will be a year that I chopped off my hair. I tried to measure my hair a two days ago and my front is 4 1/2 inches, the middle is 3ins and the back is 2inches...i just tried to even the back. Anyway my next year at this time i would like to have"chin length" or longer. I didn't know about all of this deep cndition products and oils...maybe thats why it is not growing faster. In the past I have been using just superGro grease...now I am using Dr. Miracle...does it one know if his produts really work. I bought the leave in cndtioning and healing oil....and shampoo and conditiong.

Please tell me of any conditioning that really works and how many time aweek should you condition it

my hair type: short, REALLY thick

DrLoc
05-18-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm in!

I have no idea how long my hair is! But I want it to be shoulder length or longer... Ideally, I'd like the length of Joan off girlfriends, although it is by no means that texture (it's pretty darn kinky). I've been natural for 3 years this coming May 31st and been locked for 2 years... I'm taking the locs down now... I'm on number 3 my goal is to have it done by the 31st. It'll be my nappiversary present to myself. I loved my locs for a time but honestly, I never planned to loc, I did it because my loose naps became too much to deal with and now I feel like I escaped to locs like I did to the CFC (although I didn't make the choice of CFC... my mother made it for me when I was a child because the napps were too much for her)... At any rate, I am excite dabout being a loose nappy again and hope that I don't loose to much length or its not too damaged when the locs all come out... luckily I never used gels, waxes or much products so the locs should come out nicely! At any rate, I'm glad to be in!

monappy28
05-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Okay, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with split ends or breakage, but I just washed my hair and when I was towel drying it to put my conditioner in, I noticed I had two big knots in my hair :angry: Thy were pretty decent sized and you could tell it was a bunch of like shed hair(or maybe hair I accidentally cut when I was taking my rubber bands out :unsure: ) but they were tangled so bad on the ends of a few strands of hair that they had to be cut out! I don't know, but the longer my hair gets, the more big tangled knots I get. I'm getting scared and don't know what to do. My next move will be to BC again, but I really don't want to! I'm thinking the color in my hair may be the culprit, but I've never had a problem with this until my hair got this length. Help me yall, cause I don't want to cut my hair cause I really want it to get shoulder length, but I will if this happens again!

Mangachan
05-18-2008, 10:24 PM
I finally have a regimine down and I found products that have been working consistantly (conditioner and glycerin mix). I've been wearing a panty hose puff for the last week. Now if I can keep this up for the next 70 years I'll be alright.

Hi

I am a new member and I am joining the challege!! Next month will be a year that I chopped off my hair. I tried to measure my hair a two days ago and my front is 4 1/2 inches, the middle is 3ins and the back is 2inches...i just tried to even the back. Anyway my next year at this time i would like to have"chin length" or longer. I didn't know about all of this deep cndition products and oils...maybe thats why it is not growing faster. In the past I have been using just superGro grease...now I am using Dr. Miracle...does it one know if his produts really work. I bought the leave in cndtioning and healing oil....and shampoo and conditiong.
Please tell me of any conditioning that really works and how many time aweek should you condition it
my hair type: short, REALLY thick
[/b]

I'm pretty sure the products you're using have mineral oil in them. Many of us avoid products like that because it clogs the pores of your scalp and it just sits on your hair. I would recommend more natural products but if it works for you by all means keep using it.

amberdcox
05-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Well I just started another set of microtwists. I couldnt get done with them because my arms got tired, so I only did the fron 1/4th of my head, and that took over an hour. So it took the microtwists that I had finished and parted my twists down the middle. I took the two sides and flat twisted them to the back of my head, and the back half is in a low puff. Hopefully I can finish them tomorrow, and keep this set for another two weeks.

Still trying to remember to take a vitamin daily. I switch back and forth between a prenatal vitamin and a centrum complete. Its whichever I see first that reminds me to take it!

nappyeditor
05-20-2008, 02:42 AM
:lol: @ Mangachan wearing a puff for the next 70 years. I really need to get something better going on with protective styles. I wore twists all last week, which was so hard because they sucked, lol. Was using Moe's oil, but I left it at my BF's house, so until I make some more, I'm doing the same as usual this week, cowashing every other day. I'll do a deep treatment maybe Wednesday night. I wanted to do it once a week, but haven't had the time.

How often do those of you who deep condition do it?

guapa1
05-20-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm all cornrowed up now, but still rinse my hair and deep condition too. I do it about twice a week. Add the conditoner on, go to bed and rinse off in the morning.

goldenafrochild
05-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Just checking in... its been a while!

so I washed my hair on saturday with my coconut milk and jojoba oil. It needed a clarifying treatment because it was feeling strange. SO now I am in twist and have been wearing headwraps as a protective style since the beginning of the month. had a lot of breakage in the back from hairstyles in december but I am noticing a lot of new growth back there... almost 2 inches in the places where it was once bald. Happy happy! Its stil too cold to wear my hair out here and frankly I like having to not worry about how my twists look when I can throw on a wrap and be out! I do take it out once a week to satisfy the hubby. Well check in again soon with length comparison pics. Good luck to you all.

jweezy
05-21-2008, 04:24 AM
I'm still in, my natural hair is about the length of Tootie's hair from Facts of Life!! LOL so I'd say maybe by November at the latest and August at the earliest. My only problem is my middle, that's what's holding me up, but I'm in protective styles for the summer so we'll see.

amberdcox
05-24-2008, 12:26 AM
I purchased some coconut milk, does anyone know how to use it to wash their hair?

So I've been taking my prenatal vitamin every day, and I have noticed that my nails are growing, so hopefully my hair is too!

I finished my microtwists on Tuesday, and I also did a trim. I am going to keep them for two weeks before taking them down and wearing a twist set.

Happy growing ladies.

Batyah
05-24-2008, 01:09 AM
I purchased some coconut milk, does anyone know how to use it to wash their hair?
[/b]
Goldenafrochild uses coconut milk to wash her hair. Check with her for specific details.
I use coconut milk as a pre-poo conditioner. I love the results; it helps keep my hair from tangling as much while washing, detangling is a lot easier, and my hair dries softer. :)

guapa1
05-24-2008, 09:51 AM
My shower is broken so I haven't had a chance to wash my hair. It feels dry, I have been spritzing it, but it's obviously not enough.

Soulcurl
05-24-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm joining this challenge (1st post)
Currently in braid extensions for the 3rd week but don't think I can take it much longer as i'm really missing my own hair (if I last 2 more weeks i'll be suprised!).

I've been natural since Jan 08 after transitioning for a year. Before I put the braids in, my hair was doing well, approx 5 1/2- 6 inches then I did my first trim and took off approx 1 inch which was needed as the ends still had some straightness and didn't feel or look too good. Check my album- [url=http://public.fotki.com/soulcurl] Not planning to trim again for a while
Hoping I will have gained that inch back when I take braids out and can aim to be full shoulder length by the end of the year (If I can keep my hands out of my hair!!)

monappy28
05-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Checkin in here! Struggling to not cut my hair, but I have been doing good so far! I am in the process of putting box braids in right now which will protect my hair and usually protective styles aid in serious hair growth cause I'm not manipulating my hair. While it's in these braids, I am going to trim the ends because they need it! When I was a permie, trimming would cause my hair to take of growth wise, so I'm sure it will do the same in it's nappy state! I think shoulder length will happen next year by my second nappiversary! If I'm lucky, it will be close by december!

Lilsnukems
05-24-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm getting kinda of frustrated with my hair..... It's growing but it's also becoming more difficult to detangle. My ends will become entangled and a hair ball will form and I have to cut it off. I dust my ends about every six to eight weeks so Im not sure why my hair is acting like this. I was wearing my hair in 2s twists but for the past week or so I had been wearing my hair out. I am going to have to do some protective style again because I cannot wear my hair out for long. I still have not posted starting pics and updates. I swear I cannot find my usb cord to upload my pics from my camera
[/b]

The same thing happens with my hair. I just cut about half an inch off my hair two weeks ago, but last week I wore it out for pretty much the whole week and had a couple of those big hair balls that I had to cut out. I've just come to the conclusion that I can't wear my hair out for prolonged periods of time.

Str8toFro
05-25-2008, 11:59 PM
So I had my hair in 2st for the last two weeks. Last night I took them down and detangled my hair. I washed it this morning and I'm finishing up braiding the last section now. I decided to go with braiding my hair because it's getting warm and I like to wet my hair often. The twists were starting to tangle and mat together. I have a feeling my hair wants to send me a signal and let me know that locking would be okay. Sections of the front of my hair are at the top of my lip and when I started they were at the bridge of my nose.

amberdcox
05-26-2008, 12:40 AM
massage those scalps ladies, helps to stimulate blood flow!

drink your water and eat your veggies too :)

Batyah
05-26-2008, 01:34 AM
massage those scalps ladies, helps to stimulate blood flow!

drink your water and eat your veggies too :)
[/b]
Thanks for the reminder/tip Coffee! :)

monappy28
05-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Soo.....My hair is in box braids and I decided to clip some of my ends while it's in the braids. Is that okay :unsure: ? Can i do that?? I'm scared, but my hair really needed it and that seemed to be the best way to do it. My hair always grows much faster and retains length better when i get my ends clipped. This is the first time I have clipped them since I've been natural. I hope that was the right thing to do. Has anyone else clipped ends while it was braided or twisted. Help me

cloudyface
05-26-2008, 01:47 AM
I'm growing....yay....so the hair that i chopped to do a bob isn't as short as it was initially (yaaayyy)...but it's still short. I've been considering locs....and then reconsidering...I'm a mess when it comes to making decisions. But as long as I stay natural I'm good....I've been getting a lot of compliments...which help....since I've been having a few weak moments....
grow on ladies.

bald-headed
05-26-2008, 04:42 AM
I'm in! I wish I had taken much better care of my hair when I was natural a few years ago. I am now remembering all the things I used to do for my hair to be shoulder length when I used chemicals. I had certain things I would and would not do so now it's time for me to re-create some rules for my hair to retain length. Haven't figured out what those new rules are exactly so I'm making them up along the way.

One thing I know is that my hair craves water. Inside and out. I know that I have to wet my hair at least every 2-3 days or it will dry out no matter what product/conditioners I have in it.

GodMadeMeNappy
05-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm a newbie, but I gotta join in on this one. My hair is almost shoulder length in the front and ends just at the nape in the back (thanks to Rihanna who inspired the chop .. not really). Usually my hair grows quickly, so I'm thinking I can reach shoulder length by December. Who knows?

I'm rocking some box braids (w/extensions) right now .. so I'll be able to post pics once I take them down in a few weeks. I'd show the length as of a couple weeks ago, but I just don't think it's right of me to post a straight hair pic. L0L Hopefully that will be the last documentation of me with straight hair EVER!

I pray that everyone reaches their hair growth goals!

ALSO, QUICK QUESTION: What are the benefits of no-poo/co-wash? :)

amberdcox
05-26-2008, 02:02 PM
^^^^Shampoos can be very drying and strip your hair. This may lead to a hot tangled mess. Lots of people think that you need a bunch of suds to signal that your hair is clean.

Cowashes work for a lot of people but not all. Some folks still like using shampoo, but they may dilute it to half shampoo, half water.

Cowashes are using conditioner in place of shampoo. Usually a light conditioner. Suave tropical coconut works well and costs a dollar. Light conditioners still have enough detergents in them to cleanse your hair. HTH!

~*welekevu*~
05-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Okay, I'm still having problems posting pictures. Maybe cause I'm not subscribed? Anywhoo, here are some length checks. Am I there yet?

1 (http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo33/1b/10/a8b366a98932.jpg?_rh=7gdl85b3ymy2s284yp9msgfot)

2 (http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo31/92/2a/66a94780b5bb.jpg?_rh=f4la0q52thucxk36772ejvc0f)

3 (http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo35/da/85/9f2e02c11d3a.jpg?_rh=bo6oqjcbbh1n7qs5ywckzqvo)

4 (http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo34/e7/ec/99e8287409e9.jpg?_rh=cvvnvvsxmlwpul2esynzboc83)

5 (http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo35/61/76/046f566c164b.jpg?_rh=5aj4ln1ob7lbzf5y1c43l8azt)

:) wele

rhoglnn
05-28-2008, 02:18 PM
I think you are there welekevu. Time to join the BSL challenge for you! I showed my husband my new growth and he said that it was impressive. Nothing impresses him. Still the frohawk growing like crazy 1"/mo. The sides are growing about .5"/mo. This is my 3rd week on 2strd twist. I am trying to make it 1 mo cause it cost me to get it done. I now have 2 other family members on Moe's Oil and going for 2 more. At this point I am trying not to think about growing hair. Its like waiting for cold water to boil.

foxyqueen
05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Hello, all! I am also a newbie. I did the bc on May 12, 2008 and my hair is short and very tight! I love it! However, I would like for it to grow so I had kinky twist with extensions put in. I would love to join the challenge. Can someone please let me know how to get started.
:unsure:
Happy hair growth to all!!

rhoglnn
05-28-2008, 04:57 PM
welekevu: Where was your hair length when you started? This challenge is not that old so either you were pretty close or you have found the growing black hair secret of a bijillionaire.

~*welekevu*~
05-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Honestly, I never really did length checks before, I just judged by how my box braids fell. So really, I don't know where I started, exactly. I'm kinda :blush: about my hair routine because I'm kinda like a man with mines.

I shampoo once monthly and nopoo twice monthly. I live in box braids and moisturize with shea butter. I redo my braids every 3 months and thats it. Heh. :blush:

^_^ wele

cooyah
05-30-2008, 04:46 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT I CAN MAKE A BUNNYTAIL

With no assistance just pulling the hair back with my hands

Going back in braids mid June, just taking my two week rest now. minimal shedding and good retention. March 2009 is looking promising :D

Batyah
05-30-2008, 05:15 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT I CAN MAKE A BUNNYTAIL

With no assistance just pulling the hair back with my hands
[/b]
Isn't that a great feeling? :)

jephie
05-30-2008, 05:38 PM
I've been in this challenge by default. I've been wearing protective styles for about a month and some change. Mostly two strand twists. It takes forever to do them, but they last a good two weeks, and then a twist out for about 4-5 days.

I think I'm going to keep this up through August and incorporate a multi-vitamin. I hope to get 2-3 more inches in that time frame.

I got my BC last August and haven't had a trim since then. When its time I will probably do it myself seeing as many stylists like to take inches off and not dust the ends.

So my regimen is as follows: Wash and deep condition with TJ nourish spa/olive oil/honey or Elasta QP DPR-11/Honey/Olive oil.

Plait hair into large braids to stretch.

Take out the next day and that night twist with Qhemet Burdock Root butter cream/Honey Hair balm or Heavy Cream/Hair balm.

Wear twists for 2+ weeks followed by a twist out for a few days.

Wash and start over.
[/b]

what does it mean to dust ur ends

goldenafrochild
06-01-2008, 07:07 PM
sorry guys... been in denial too long about reviving my heat damaged ends. Did a BC yesterday evening and am down to 2.5 inches of healthy, EVEN length hair. do you think its a bit too optiomistic to get shoulder length (another 7 inches) in 10 months?

Batyah
06-02-2008, 12:42 AM
what does it mean to dust ur ends
[/b]
To me, dusting your ends is to snip off between a 1/2" or less whereas a trim is an 1" or more. :unsure: That's my definition of dusting. HTH

sorry guys... been in denial too long about reviving my heat damaged ends. Did a BC yesterday evening and am down to 2.5 inches of healthy, EVEN length hair. do you think its a bit too optiomistic to get shoulder length (another 7 inches) in 10 months?
[/b]
:doh 2.5"??? I'm not sure about 7 inches in 10 months; maybe. :dunno:

amberdcox
06-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Ive been massaging my scalp, taking my vitamins, and protecting my hair.

I am going to do a protective style this week and hope it lasts me two weeks.

After that I'm going to measure my hair and post pics.

Happy growing everyone!!

tua05612
06-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm thinking about doing box braids with curly extensions. Around shoulder or arm pit length. Hopefully I can do them this week and take them out and measure in July (if my Hands in Hair disease doesn't take over). Still growing though, even my BF has finally noticed a difference. I've also been noticing all of his male friends and family commenting on how they want a natural woman as well. All you ladies who are saying the men in your area aren't "feeling it" need to come find a REAL man in Philly.

**The emphasis is on real not because real men don't exist anywhere else, but rather because there is a shortage here, but the good ones LOVE the natural hair, I get compliments on the street all the time, men and women!**

GalaxyGirl2012
06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
wele i'd say you were at SL :)

do you think its a bit too optiomistic to get shoulder length (another 7 inches) in 10 months?
[/b]
:unsure: yes

guapa1
06-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Just a check in. I feel off my vitamin taking, but am back again. I took my cornrows out last night and my hair felt mosturised, soft and untangled. Definitely loving the cornrows.

I'm going to get my sister to row me up at some point this week.

My shower is working again so I can go back to my twice weekly deep conditioning. I'm still trying to baby these ends.

amour_petite_gogo
06-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I want to join! I've got about 4-5 inches of hair at the moment, and want to get to SL badly(my hair hasn't been that long in more than four years). Right now I'm in my third week of kinky twists and I will probably be taking them down in a few days, wearing my hair out for a week or two, and putting kinky twists back in. Right now I wash/condition once a week and moisturize daily with KBB and Oyin products. I'm in the market for a deep condition, any suggestions?

I will measure after I take down the twists. I have a picture of my length pre-twists(I guess challenge-starting length?) in my album.

nappyeditor
06-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't know how much growth I have, I need to start measuring. But it looks like slowly but surely. My problem now is I think my edges are thinning! I usually wear a pantyhose puff or 2-strand twists. Any ideas for other protective type styles to give my edges a rest?

TinaW
06-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I'd like to join this challenge also, but is there somewhere we can see the rules/guidelines etc?

Batyah
06-04-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't know how much growth I have, I need to start measuring. But it looks like slowly but surely. My problem now is I think my edges are thinning! I usually wear a pantyhose puff or 2-strand twists. Any ideas for other protective type styles to give my edges a rest?
[/b]
Hi NoLimit! I love your hair!! ^_^ As far as giving your edges a rest, it seems like two-strand twists should be good unless you twist your hair tight. :unsure: I normally wear twists, two-strand and flat twists and my edges are ok. Maybe you could ease up on wearing the puff for a while and see how that works.

nappyeditor
06-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi NoLimit! I love your hair!! ^_^ As far as giving your edges a rest, it seems like two-strand twists should be good unless you twist your hair tight. :unsure: I normally wear twists, two-strand and flat twists and my edges are ok. Maybe you could ease up on wearing the puff for a while and see how that works.
[/b]

Thanks! I don't get many compliments so I love it when I do. :blush: Or when I get one, they mess it up by saying something like, "... but you have a good grade of hair." Um, no. :lol:

Anyway, I'll keep with the twists then and make sure not to make them too tight, which is probably the problem. Then I'm always pulling on my hair, trying new stuff. Today, I just stuck a headband on a wash n go to keep it loose. I guess I'm just afraid my hair will be too big for work, lol.

So how are you guys measuring growth? Are you actually using a ruler, or just eyeballing it?

Batyah
06-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks! I don't get many compliments so I love it when I do. :blush: Or when I get one, they mess it up by saying something like, "... but you have a good grade of hair." Um, no. :lol:

Anyway, I'll keep with the twists then and make sure not to make them too tight, which is probably the problem. Then I'm always pulling on my hair, trying new stuff. Today, I just stuck a headband on a wash n go to keep it loose. I guess I'm just afraid my hair will be too big for work, lol.

So how are you guys measuring growth? Are you actually using a ruler, or just eyeballing it?
[/b]
I use a ruler to measure my length. Right now I'm only measuring the crown of my head and the back/nape. So for me, it's more of a rough estimate.

Uta
06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
first check in since i joined! well i have continued with my protective style challenge! i have not worn my hair out as yet! its always in twists and cornrows.

Also my flat twists have been improving so much i tell yah .. i am feeling like a pro! And news as well.. my twists have last me more than a week..whoopiee! i feel so happy about that. basically i have been putting them in rollers every night! And i wear them in my infamous updo!..lol

In terms of growth.. there is growth ..in the backi know for sure.. i have 6.5 inches at the back when stretched in the twists that is. i need to get the exact length when i undo them this weekend. The top has 5 and a lil bit at some parts! so i am pleased .. i think i may get to my short term goal of 7 inches after 5 months soon ..

Thanks to all the tips and advice from you ladies! I am working with and loving my new napps!

nappyeditor
06-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok, so I looked at some old photos and my edges have definitely broken off, probably from wearing too tight puffs. :crying:

Luckily, I think I caught it in time before it got too bad. I'm going to try to keep it twisted it up for the next month or so, taking a day or so off every couple of weeks.

rhoglnn
06-07-2008, 11:10 PM
2nd check in. I just measured my hair and I have 7" in the front and now about 8" in the back. My damaged edges are now long enough to french braid.

Stapes:
Moe's Growth Oil-Lemon scented
Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1
Prenatal vitamins

The humidity here in Indy is great. I have also tried twists without braiding at the root. It is going to be harder to tell my growth because with the rate of growth they have been trying to unravel.

2 months of challenge in and 2" of growth!

amberdcox
06-08-2008, 12:38 AM
i'm wearing a puff right now, but I make sure that I dont pull it up too tight. I make sure to massage my scalp, especially the edges every night, and take my multivitamin religiously. i stretch it every night by banding or braiding. and moisturize nightly with burdock root butter cream.

Batyah
06-08-2008, 12:40 AM
2nd check in. I just measured my hair and I have 7" in the front and now about 8" in the back. My damaged edges are now long enough to french braid.

Stapes:
Moe's Growth Oil-Lemon scented
Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1
Prenatal vitamins

The humidity here in Indy is great. I have also tried twists without braiding at the root. It is going to be harder to tell my growth because with the rate of growth they have been trying to unravel.

2 months of challenge in and 2" of growth!
[/b]
I heard that prenatal vitamins speed up growth tremendously. <_<

yummyhoney06
06-08-2008, 12:57 AM
I have been doing protective styles for the last year and so far I have about 7inches of kinky, cottony hair. I BCed Feb07 and will probably be on a length retintion challenge for another year or so.

whitney
06-08-2008, 03:33 AM
i&#39;ve kept my hair in twists for a month letting my hair breathe for a few days between taking them down and retwisting. I can see some growth and my hair looks stronger and cleaner, since i&#39;ve been doing BS & ACV before/after i take my hair down. i retwisted today b/c since i work out i rinse my hair a lot and my hair was looking a mess.

cooyah
06-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I made shoulder length in the nape area, collarbone at the sides, and the middle stretches to my ear. I will hopefully be back in braids SOON! I retained just about every millimeter I grew from 11 March to 29 May when I took my micros out. Pictures later when I find my USB cord. March 2009 is definitely looking promising

ETA pics:

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/1505/cimg7048ge8.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/265/cimg7044vn8.jpg

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/301/cimg7067un0.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1702/cimg7079sc2.jpg

Uta
06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
congrats! your hair looks amazing!! keep up the work!!

sistasweetpea
06-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Here is an update
March 08------------------------------------------------------------------------------------June 08
http://images35.fotki.com/v1129/photos/1/1248225/6002185/DSCN1560-vi.jpghttp://images35.fotki.com/v1206/photos/1/1248225/6136725/DSCN2342-vi.jpg

http://images32.fotki.com/v1104/photos/1/1248225/6002185/DSCN1566-vi.jpghttp://images36.fotki.com/v1203/photos/1/1248225/6136725/DSCN2344-vi.jpg

http://images31.fotki.com/v1101/photos/1/1248225/6002185/DSCN1565-vi.jpghttp://images36.fotki.com/v1204/photos/1/1248225/6136725/DSCN2343-vi.jpg

Str8toFro
06-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Well I&#39;m having a hell of a time right now. I washed my hair on Thursday and all was well, I braided it and was pleased. I decided to go on Friday so I took the braids out. Mind you I had plans of twisting my hair Sunday. It got hot as I don&#39;t know what this weekend and it was dry. When it gets like this outside I dislike doing my hair and I really dislike having it out. I really need to find a good water based moisturizer. I finally got around to twisting my hair but the twist are bigger than I wanted and still kind of dry. I plan to make them smaller through out the week. :angry: I&#39;m so caught between chopping it all off and locking it. I know locking won&#39;t be immediate but it would mean not having to deal with it too often or having to see it out. Chopping it is kind of out because I just cut it down like 9 months ago and I don&#39;t want to do that again. Okay I&#39;m done ranting now back to your regular schedule nappy talk. :blush:

Batyah
06-10-2008, 01:09 AM
ETA pics:

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/1505/cimg7048ge8.jpg

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/301/cimg7067un0.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1702/cimg7079sc2.jpg
[/b]
Gorgeous!! :wub:

Alastri
06-10-2008, 02:18 AM
hope everyone&#39;s doin&#39; well! so tired of these freakin&#39; braids and i almost have them out. i should be checking length again soon.

dimples_ga
06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I&#39;m in. I don&#39;t think my hair qualifies as TWA anymore so this seems like the next step. My current "regimen" is to deep condition or cowash on the weekends and put in either 2st or finger coils and repeat the next weekend. Now I want to work on leaving my protective styles in for 10 days and then eventually 2 full weeks! It was a struggle when I first bc&#39;d because I LOVED playing in my hair. I think I&#39;ve finally cured my HIF disease (at least for the time being :blush: ). I&#39;ll try to remember to post a few pics by the end of the week.

detshorty05
06-10-2008, 07:11 PM
cooyah, your hair is so pretty! Keep up the good work

msamuels
06-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Alastri, you&#39;re like me. I do protective styles, use vatika/coconut oil, qhemet products, and black castor oil on my hair. My hair loves them all. :wub:
[/b]

Which Qhemet&#39;s products do the two of you use? Also so you sue the black castor oil underneath your Qhemet products or do you use on top? Or do use it seperate?

nappyeditor
06-11-2008, 03:14 AM
Great progress Cooyah.

Sexisistah, my length is looking about like yours.

I think I found the source of my thinning edges - the protein gel I&#39;ve been using. I think my hair + protein is :noway: which I realized from doing protein treatments. I didn&#39;t even put two and two together. When I stopped the puff I was doing wash and gos, which was cool, but yeah, my hair ends up a tangly mess, and I don&#39;t like using the comb in the first place.

Anyway, I&#39;m thinking about getting some braid extensions or trying to do some smallish flat twists and putting on a phony pony as a protective style. These twists are getting old b/c they look a mess.

What other protective styles are you ladies wearing, if any?

sistasweetpea
06-11-2008, 01:53 PM
I&#39;m in the process of putting in braids extensions right now. If I can make myself keep them in for a month, I&#39;ll be happy.

Batyah
06-11-2008, 05:19 PM
SexiSistah , your hair has grown quite a bit since March! :D

Which Qhemet&#39;s products do the two of you use? Also so you sue the black castor oil underneath your Qhemet products or do you use on top? Or do use it seperate?
[/b]
With me, when I detangle, I ALWAYS use the Olive Cream Detangler/Leave-In Conditioner. Then once my hair is completely dry and I&#39;m ready to twist it up for the week, I&#39;ll either use the Burdock Root Butter Cream, Black Castor Oil, or the Amla & Olive Heavy Cream. It all depends on my mood. I try not to layer too many products on my hair when I&#39;m combing it. HTH

guapa1
06-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Go Cooyah!! I&#39;m just prepooing my hair and then I&#39;m going to wash it and cornrow it up again for a few weeks.

cooyah
06-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Thank you ladies!!

luckystar428
06-15-2008, 04:31 PM
I&#39;ve straightened my hair so much that I had to cut a lot of it because it was damaged and didn&#39;t revert back. (I LEARNED MY LESSON!) I still have 3 to 4 inches (unstraightened) hair.

I think that by next year, my hair should be shoulder length, which will be great because I graduate from high school next year. :D

Vavaliciious
06-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I&#39;m join this challenge :D

dimples_ga
06-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Here&#39;s where I&#39;m at now.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z200/dimples_ga/Photo16.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z200/dimples_ga/Photo13.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z200/dimples_ga/Photo10.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z200/dimples_ga/Photo9.jpg

Gotta love the shrinkage. :wub:

amberdcox
06-16-2008, 12:33 AM
okay, i tried to wear my hair out, but it just ain&#39;t working!! whenever my hair is out, it just gets dry and tangled too easily. while doing my microtwists is a headache and takes 4 hours, they last two weeks and the twist out lasts at least 5 days.....so i gotta suck it up. my twists are much longer now. if you have facebook, you can check my album out. a fro on the gro is the title.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2143...a7b&id=36613828 (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2143061&l=d5a7b&id=36613828)

stretched out, my twists come to the bottom of my neck.

rhoglnn
06-16-2008, 02:08 AM
I think the prenatal vit are the bomb! My fingernails are growing too. I have booty scratchers so it is nice to have nails along with hair length retention. Whenever I see my nails grow I check my hair length with measuring tape.

I had to retwist my twists. I got the 2 strand twist without braiding the roots last week and they just fell apart. My husband said, "You need to take care of that." <_< So, I watched Semi Pro (pretty good movie) and re-did my hair by braiding the roots. In church my husband told me to turn around so I did. He then said, "You did a really good job retwisting your hair." I was soooo proud of myself. I.....hate....doing.......my.....hair. So, now I will be able to measure my growth for the next 3 weeks.

Frustrating. It is really growing but the crown of my head twisted is about mid ear. I thought it was longer than that. You know, it just may be. I measure my hair when it is twisted not when it is freshly washed. *sigh* Back to waiting.

One more thing, my twists blow in the wind. I was driving and I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and twists were just flying around my head. I touched the soft babies. I have tried a different gel, Organic Root Stimulator. I love it. :wub: It aint $.99 but the results are just incredible. What I mean by the results are when it gets old and when it is time to take it down there is no nasty mess. I have tried so many gels and homemade mixtures didn&#39;t hold and the brown gel works beautifully but with so many side effects it just wasn&#39;t worth it. One time I wore a twist out from the brown gel and it looked like I stuck my hair in molasses and then rolled around in my grandmother&#39;s vent. Embarrassed.

This challenge has been good for me in so many ways.

ckisland
06-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Haven&#39;t posted in awhile, but I am most definitely in this challenge. I thought my hair has stopped growing while I was doing only fro&#39;s and wash and goes for like 2-3 weeks (I loved it though :blush: ). So I did some small twists a few days ago and my hair is still growing!!!! :lol: This is the longest my twists have ever hung down. I could make a BANG!!!! I love them so much. My hair is 5 inches in most places and a little more than that (creeping towards 5.5) at the crown.

Batyah
06-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Looking good ladies! ^_^

Soulsista934
06-19-2008, 06:20 PM
I finally made the Moe Grow Oil and I have been using it consistently. I dont know if I have growth because I havent measured my hair yet.

I finally found somethinig that really cleans my hair (baking soda and water). So I have a cleanserand scalp oil. All I need now is a moisturizer. I have been thinking about cupuacu butter. I really want to try that.

rhoglnn
06-20-2008, 12:51 AM
bump

Alastri
06-20-2008, 01:10 AM
[/b]

I like all of them! I never need to use the black castor oil after using qhemet. I guess I could after a small amount of the olive cream detangler or after the burdock root, but qhemet is potent enough that nothing else is typically needed. I usually use it separate though. I&#39;ve found uses for all the Qhemet moisturizers ^_^

SelinasLocs
06-20-2008, 01:45 AM
I will join in on the challenge... although I am thoroughly frustrated with my BUSH! Its not that I feel its unattractive its just different and feels unproportionate. BUT I will challenge myself to grow the front of my hair to my shoulders since the back is already touching them.

rhoglnn
06-21-2008, 02:26 AM
I knew it! My hair is longer when not in twists. I took down two of them and gained 1/2"! This growth oil....my God!

My head has been itching like crazy. I think it is the organic root stimulating gel. My daughter has been diggin&#39; in her hair too. Her hair has been growing too. I ought to enter her in the challenge too even though she is only 17 mo. The top of her hair comes to her chin. Wait a minute...her proportions are so so different than an adult. Will it still count?

Ok, I really came here to post because I have a good problem. My twists are not looking as good as long. I am not sure if it is Organic root stimulator gel or if it is growing really fast. Anyone else having this problem?

Oh, dimples, I think we are at the same spot regarding length.

amberdcox
06-21-2008, 02:33 AM
im not a mixtress at all, i really wish someone could just whip me up a batch of moesgrowthoil and send me some.

my hair is still in twists, i did them last friday. i think i may untwist on thursday, because i&#39;m going to see chris rock and i want a nice fluffy twist out. or i may just untwist part of them.

i think i will rock the twist out until around july 1 or 2. then wash and retwist because i want them to be fresh when i go to pittsburgh to see my BF&#39;s family for the 4th.

i forgot to take my vitamin today. i think i will take it right now. and give myself a good head massage.

canarsiechik88
06-21-2008, 02:36 AM
im down for the challenge!!!!!!!! :P since i was taught that AF-AM can&#39;t grow their hair past their shoulders w/o CFC&#39;S, im going to prove them wrong!!!! I wanna see how long my hair can grow this year, but I will keep ya posted when i take out my braid extensions!!! I promise, i had my braids in two weeks and certain parts of my hair grew 1.5 inches!!! :bow: :yes: :Cool_049: :afro:

Here&#39;s where I&#39;m at now.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z200/dimples_ga/Photo16.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z200/dimples_ga/Photo13.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z200/dimples_ga/Photo10.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z200/dimples_ga/Photo9.jpg
Gotta love the shrinkage. :wub:
[/b]
AMAZING!! LOOKING NICE :D

ckisland
06-21-2008, 06:03 AM
I know that twists are suppose to be a protective style, I don&#39;t think my hair takes too well to them. After I undid my twists last night, I detangled and lost so much hair :( . I wasn&#39;t losing that much hair when I was doing fro&#39;s or wash and goes and detangling every other week!! And I had tangles and got those notorious single-strand knots for the first time EVER!!! Geez (stupid twists) <_< . So for now I&#39;m going to just twist my hair up at night and undo them in the morning. But if that&#39;s too much for my hair to take then it&#39;s back to the good ol&#39; wash and go. It&#39;s experimen&#39;tins time. lol. :P

coilycurly
06-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I&#39;d like to join this challenge. I have my hair cut in layers and the hair at the bottom of my nape I believe is already shoulder length stretched. I have no intention of having my hair all the same length - I hate that "pyramid" look you get with thick curly hair that is all the same length. I think I&#39;ll set my goal to be when the hair at the middle of my head (by my ears) is shoulder length. Is that okay? My avatar is my shrunken hair, which is how I wear it 90% of the time.

Unfortunately I have a long neck (sigh).

By the way, Afro Irish, I have a similar experience to yours. Putting up and wearing twists gives me more breakage than my loose hair. The only exception is the big freaky looking ones that I put up at night without combing(about 6-8). Any type of medium to small twists give me serious knots and he!! to take down.

ckisland
06-22-2008, 06:05 AM
By the way, Afro Irish, I have a similar experience to yours. Putting up and wearing twists gives me more breakage than my loose hair. The only exception is the big freaky looking ones that I put up at night without combing(about 6-8). Any type of medium to small twists give me serious knots and he!! to take down.
[/b]

I thought that I was alone in the twists-don&#39;t-work club :lol:

coilycurly
06-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Yes, I was relieved to find someone with a similar experience. Nearly everyone else swears by them. I only do them for a different look every so often and now I don&#39;t leave them in for more than a day or two. I think 1) my hair needs to get wet fairly often, it is happiest when washed or co-washed regularly 2) I get most of my knots from shed hair and I am religious about removing shed hair in the shower when washing and co-washing. Letting it accumulate for a week or more... :icon_headshake:

ETA - now that my hair is getting longer, I do find that I have to put in some biggies at night to cut down on tangles. When doing that I take the opportunity to put a tiny dab of Kinky Curly gloss pomade on the ends of the twists to protect them.

Str8toFro
06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
What&#39;s going on ladies??

Well I&#39;m steady on the grow. I should probably put some in pics in my album but I don&#39;t have any new pics. Maybe when I re-twists I&#39;ll have my mother take some pics. I&#39;ve decided to get back on my growth oil game because I was slackin on my pimpin. I do see my hair growing though and I am very pleased. I&#39;ve found my products for the summer and I think I even know what might work through the winter too. I am so excited. I knew that if I held out and waited the right things would come along.

So ladies what styles are we doing? who has new pics? who found a staple product? has any one revisited an old fav that stopped working? I want updates ladies!!!

jamgirl
06-24-2008, 03:50 PM
i think i&#39;ve found the perfect summer routine for my hair. :D every sunday i co-wash, deep condition, moisturize and put my hair in big braids. since i wake up early to run, i go out running with my hair in those braids or i&#39;ll wear a hat. then when i get back in at about 9 or 10, i twist my hair-takes about 2 hours if i&#39;m being diligent-and leave them alone for a week. every night i baggy. my hair is in love with me now! :wub: i don&#39;t really know if i&#39;m actually seeing growth or not since i&#39;m trying not to get obsessive, but i do know it&#39;s healthy, and hey, that&#39;s what really matters. i&#39;m also planning on ordering some oyin soon, since i&#39;ll be getting paid! ^_^ how is everybody else doing?

Batyah
06-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Just checking in ladies. So far, my hair appears to be growing. I think I have about an half inch since my last measurement in May. :mellow: Not much but it&#39;s something.

tua05612
06-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Just checking in. I took my braids down after about 3 weeks (that seems to be the max for me). I&#39;ve also decided that I will not be putting them in anymore. They are too time consuming for the time they last, plus my hair is getting too long (finally!!! :D ) So I&#39;m gonna perm rod set tonight and update my fotki tonight. I am now also out of the awkward in between phase and into the plain old in between. My back layers have reached shoulder length (stretched) so I&#39;m still hype. The top is still super longer than the rest, but I like it since my hair will grow in a different shape. It&#39;s still soft and healthy as ever. Hardly had any shedding. I&#39;ve been downing these vitamins to get rid of them and get my baby&#39;s back. They&#39;re doing something though because my nails were growing like crazy while the braids were in and apparently my hair was too. I&#39;m also noticing that as it gets longer, the short side is more noticeable. I guess I gotta take that with a grain of salt. But anyways, I&#39;ll be ordering some Honey Hemp soon and getting back with the program on the DCing and protective styling. Man I&#39;m gonna miss getting up and going in the morning!! Happy groiwng ladies!!!

amberdcox
06-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Still wearing my microtwists. Reminding myself to take a multivitamin and drink my water daily. Upping my level of scalp massaging as well.

Does anyone elses crown seem dryer and more difficult to manage than the rest of their hair? No matter what I do, my crown seems dryer, frizzier, and not as nourished as the rest of my hair when it is in an out style.

coilycurly
06-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Still wearing my microtwists. Reminding myself to take a multivitamin and drink my water daily. Upping my level of scalp massaging as well.

Does anyone elses crown seem dryer and more difficult to manage than the rest of their hair? No matter what I do, my crown seems dryer, frizzier, and not as nourished as the rest of my hair when it is in an out style.
[/b]

Yes, my crown is drier, frizzier and has way more shrinkage than the back and front of my hair. I know mine is at least partly genetic. My Mom is biracial and she has pretty much Caucasian hair except for this patch in her crown which is frizzy and coarser than the rest of her hair. My "problem" patch is exactly the same place . Every time I complain about the shrinkage and tangles there she smirks and says "You got that from me". My hair has to be cut to work with that patch because if not, my hair would look pretty wierd. I give it extra conditioner and am extra gentle with detangling because I suspect it would be more prone to breakage. On the good side, it is also thicker (though that means it is the last area to dry). I am so paranoid about thinning hair because my dad is pretty much bald (I know it is irrational).

Gotta love multiple textures.

Str8toFro
06-26-2008, 03:35 PM
So ladies I have officially decided to loc my hair. I&#39;m staying in this challenge because I still want shoulder length hair.

jamgirl
06-26-2008, 05:06 PM
So ladies I have officially decided to loc my hair. I&#39;m staying in this challenge because I still want shoulder length hair.
[/b]
can&#39;t wait to see your locs-i know they&#39;ll be beautiful! :wub: how are you going to start them?

Str8toFro
06-26-2008, 09:22 PM
With the 2st I have in now. They really don&#39;t want to come out anyway and all I keep thinking about is locs. I swear everywhere I turn there are locs, I can&#39;t get away.

Soulcurl
06-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Just checking in. I took my extension braids out approx 1 month ago after leaving in for a month and managed to grow back some of the inch I cut before putting them in. I&#39;m coming up to my 6 month anniversery in a few weeks (can&#39;t believe I&#39;m half way through the first year already!) and plan to take some length progress shots to mark the date. Have been keeping my hair in twists retwisting every 2 weeks and washing weekly, retwisting every week was becoming too time consuming. Hopefully less manipulation will help retain length.... we&#39;ll see! Keep up the good work ladies!

monappy28
06-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Ever since my trim, my hair has been growing like crazy! I love it! I have gained back most of what I cut and my hair seems to be much healthier! I have been trying to keep my hair in twists, twist outs(no manipulation needed), and Wash n Go&#39;s (No manipulation needed) My hair is loving me for it. I have also been trying to stay out of the sun for too long for fear of sun damage! So far so good! My hair is thriving!

Lafleur
06-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Count me in as another person who&#39;s hair doesn&#39;t do well in twists (it gets knotted and tangly). Plus twists are scalpy on me, and actually looks worse the longer the hair gets!

Next week the nappy weave is coming out. I&#39;m kinda scared because I didn&#39;t do a good job of moisturizing my hair the first 2 weeks. I hope the breakage around my edges, if any, is minimal. I&#39;m going to put my hair back in a weave again, but vow to step up my moisturizing game. And maybe add in vitamins as well...

amberdcox
06-28-2008, 04:02 PM
i&#39;m currently deep conditioning my hair. i&#39;m going to band it to dry tonight, and then its back into the 2 strand twists. These things are great for my hair. Doing microtwists is the best thing ever for my growth.

So I washed with a mix of Trader Joe&#39;s Nourish Spa and V05 shampoo. Diluted with some water.
Now I am deep conditioning with ORS Replinishing Pak and some Jojoba Oil.

I bought some glycerin and I want to learn how to use it. Do you ladies use it on wet or dry hair. Oh well at any rate, I&#39;m going to use some Burdock Root Butter Cream and castor oil to moisturize while its wet, and band it to dry.
Tomorrow, its 2 strand twists again. It will probably take me 2 days because I don&#39;t have the patience to do them all at once.

rhoglnn
06-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Coffelite

I just put in my micro twist. I didn&#39;t know that they would be that small. Back to prenatal vit, flax seed oil tab and Moe&#39;s Growth Oil.

How much growth per month are you getting?

I found some glycerin in CVS and I want to mix something up for my daughter. Please post what and how you do it.

amberdcox
06-29-2008, 10:39 PM
^^^I have no idea how much growth I am getting per month. I don&#39;t measure because the monthly growth really isn&#39;t that important to me, well at least not enought to actually chart my measurement. Microtwists cause me less breakage, and my hair stays moisturized. I can tell its growing because the puff that I wear about once a month is getting bigger and fuller. I started out with 5.5 inches and I just want it to be shoulder length by December 08/january 09. I can just tell its growing because my twists are hanging longer.

Yep microtwists take a long time. I finished mine today. I have about 200 or so, I had my bf count them.

Monqiue
07-02-2008, 01:26 AM
I have decided to join the challenge(if it is not to late). The back of my hair is already at shoulder length but I would like to get the top portion there to.

So, count me in.

jaajayi
07-02-2008, 07:53 AM
hey ladies, haven&#39;t been on here in awhile. just to update you on my progress...it&#39;s been three and a half months since my BC and my hair is almost 2 1/2 inches long! my goal is to be 3 inches in sept and 6 by next march. i&#39;m currently wearing my hair in micros. ill probably leavethem in for a month. that&#39;s all for now! happy hair growing!

rhoglnn
07-08-2008, 02:13 AM
It is time for me to measure but my 18 mo daughter has somehow gotten rid of my measuring tape. dang. My nails are growing. I am a nail biter but my nails are harder to bite because they are so strong, thick, white and pretty.

Monqiue
07-08-2008, 04:46 AM
I have finally taken out my braids and have my hair in two stranded twist. I was going to try to do three stranded twist because I heard that they last longer and don&#39;t shrink as much. But they take to long to do.

I am taking a multi-vit, super omega (2), MSM, and biotin to assist with hair growth.

A couple of time a week at night, I oil my scalp with a mixture of olive oil, rosemary and peppermint esstential oils.

In the morning I mist my hair with a mixture of conditioner (trader joe&#39;s), water, rosemary, tea tree oil and peppermint.

I am going to do this for about a month or two and see what happens.

ckisland
07-08-2008, 07:04 AM
I had forgotten all about this challenge. Well, I&#39;m still in!! My nape is a teeny-tiny bit pass shoulder length stretched, so my new goal for that part is collar bone by Dec 08. The rest of my head is still trying for shoulder length. The crown won&#39;t be there by Dec, but I&#39;m hoping that the hair by my ears will be. I&#39;ve been browsing through fotki&#39;s, and I can&#39;t wait until I have shoulder length twists and twistouts. Or a shoulder length wash n&#39;go :wub: :wub:

dimples_ga
07-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Okay, so I&#39;ve made it to 10 days with the same set of twists but the itchies are getting to me so much that I don&#39;t think I can go a full 2 weeks with a protective style. The set I have in now, I put in last Monday the 30th of June. I cowashed on Sunday and now my scalp is itching like crazy and there appears to be a lot of build up and I&#39;m not sure where it&#39;s coming from. :huh:

Before I put the twists in, I clarified with Suave clarifying shampoo and cowashed with V05 Champagne Kiss conditioner. And based on advice that Empressri gave in another thread I only used a dab of Oyin whipped pudding while twisting. The only other thing that&#39;s touched my hair is mist from the shower in the mornings and sweat from me working out at the gym. I haven&#39;t used anything to refresh my twists. The whipped pudding seems to be doing it&#39;s job very well. :D

Should I just rinse my twists instead of cowashing or maybe I&#39;m using too much conditioner and not rinsing it all out... :unsure: I just don&#39;t like the gunk under my nails when I scratch. :(

Any advice anyone?

Str8toFro
07-08-2008, 12:59 PM
dimples_ga it could be from sweating. If you haven&#39;t used anything and you co washed once then maybe you should try rinsing the twists after you work out. If you twists can&#39;t handle the constant rinsing then I really can&#39;t help. I would say there is no reason for you to have to wash your hair after every work out just a good rinse making sure to scrub the scalp with the pads of your fingers like you were washing to loosen the sweat. Doing this before it dries is best. That&#39;s all the advice I have I hope I helped.

dimples_ga
07-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Thanks Str8toFro. I&#39;ll try that and see how it works out.

cooyah
07-09-2008, 04:53 AM
We&#39;re battling a little bit of breakage but all right otherwise

dimples, as suggested, try rinsing your hair without manipulating it. Or get a stocking cap, put it over your hair and rinse that way, less frizzies

Lafleur
07-09-2008, 09:26 AM
I took my hair out of it&#39;s nappy weave yesterday -- a good .5 - .75" growth for the 6 weeks! And the new growth is soft and strong. My stylist said I did a good job since there was no build up, strong strands, and no breakage. I always knew my hair just liked being left alone... anyways, the weave&#39;s getting redone at the beginning of August. In the meantime, I&#39;ll mostly be wearing my hair out cuz I missed my hair, but I&#39;ll try to do some headwraps occasionnally as a protective style.

ImageCoach
07-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Joining the challenge, ladies!

I did a major BC in early June, a mini-BC toward the end, and I now have a TWA (about 2 inches all around). I&#39;m looking to go to shoulder length (where it was during my permie days) and even longer if possible. My maternal grandmother had hair she could sit on - literally - with a beautiful deep wave. I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve inherited her texture, but hopefully the good genes for length are there. My mom let her hair grow down to her shoulders toward the end of her life cause it was easy to snatch into a ponytail and go (she was still using the fire cream).

I want to get into a protective style - I&#39;m leaning toward yarn braids in a Rihanna-style bob - longer than hers, though. Think "Crush" from American Gladiators, but with braids. I do love my TWA, but I also have a bad case of HIF disease, so I want to try and give it a rest so I can get some serious growth.

I do take a great multivitamin every day, plus a specific supplement for hair, skin and nails. I&#39;m also trying to lose some excess poundage, so I&#39;ve got enough distractions without messin&#39; with my hair. My only challenge is that it&#39;s so HOT and HUMID right now in New England, I&#39;m not sure if I want all that yarn in my head, but we&#39;ll see.

Gonna look up the recipe for Moe&#39;s Growth Oil and mix up a batch to help with the challenge. I&#39;ll check in periodically to update y&#39;all on my progress.

Thanks for doing this - I&#39;ve learned a LOT reading all the posts!

boomslang
07-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Cooyah,

You already have shoulder length hair. You should go to a shoulderblade length challenge.

Soulsista934
07-09-2008, 07:33 PM
I am pretty sure my hair is growing. I have been using the moe growth oil and my scalp seems to like it. I should be getting some jojoba oil soon so I might add that to the next mix

Mangachan
07-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I&#39;ve been wearing the same set of twists for the past 2 weeks and I&#39;m taking them out tomorrow. I&#39;ll be wearing the twistout until next week maybe?

ckisland
07-10-2008, 04:57 AM
Since I just found out that I can upload pics from my phone :rolleyes: , I&#39;m going to take some length shots and post them here.

mrstiff
07-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Hello everybody! I will definitely join this challenge. I hope to get to shoulder length by the time of my second nappiversary next August. Right now my routine is pretty basic: shampoo with Johnsons extra conditioning shampoo and dc with cholesterol condish and olive oil every two weeks with a co-wash with Pantene&#39;s hydrating curls in between as needed. I replace one of the dc&#39;s with a protein treatment every other month. My four basic products are : Stay so fro spray, olive oil, olive oil creme by africas best, Let&#39;s Jam for wash and go&#39;s and fantasia IC (sparingly). My routine may need to change up soon though because I have been experincing a lot of shedding and breakage these past few months (cry for help!). My goal this hair year is to get on a three month on three month off rotation with protective styles (kinky twist extensions) and loose hair. I miss the break extensions give me. I&#39;m really starting to think that I may be manipulating my hair too much with braiding or twisting practically every night. Currently my hair is almost nose tip length in the front and neck length in the back and sides.

natural06
07-10-2008, 07:16 AM
I have a ponytail today. I&#39;m waiting for my off day to twist my hair, I did not know how much hair I had until I tried to put a ponytail in my hair. I love it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MzBNS2010
07-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I joined a long time ago and the back of my hair is past shoulder length and I am aiming for APL with that part. But I want my sides and middle of my hair to be shoulder length by Dec 08. I&#39;ll upload pics soon! :D

rhoglnn
07-11-2008, 03:11 AM
I need bigger twists. these micro twists get single strand knots and I hate it.

Is anyone not trimming their ends?

This is my problem:
I twist up my hair doing the island twist so that it can last longer. I try to get about 2-3 weeks out of them with touch ups done here and there. In my mohawk area my twists just gets really soft. The base gets puffy and the twist gets frizzy. It is growing much if not twice as fast as the rest of my hair. I think they are trying to unravel. The sides are just sitting there! The twist last longer but it is not growing as fast. I started using Moe&#39;s Growth oil on it every day to see what is the deal

rhoglnn
07-12-2008, 08:03 PM
bump

Alastri
07-12-2008, 08:12 PM
still in my half braided roots, half out style. may braid the rest. currently DCing. just hennaed (hours ago). finished infusing some moe&#39;s growth oil. shall start that tomorrow. will make shealoe probably tomorrow.

yay hair, lol.

Batyah
07-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Just checking in. I&#39;m about to comb my hair in some style. Not sure how yet. :unsure: After browsing different fotki albums all weak, I&#39;m tempted to buy some type of hair vitamin to help speed up my hair growing process. I&#39;m sooooo ready to rock a pony puff. :huh:

cooyah
07-15-2008, 02:25 PM
I&#39;ve fallen off taking my vitamins as I should be, but I&#39;m moved in now , and can put my vits in a working fridge and will be back doing all the proper hair care techniques!

I also need a good 1" cut

ray
07-16-2008, 12:35 PM
My hair when stretched in the back is almost halfway between my shoulders and bra strap. I want my hair unstretched to reach my shoulders. I have a lot of work to do like keeping the scissors out of my hands. I will be getting micros at the end of August.

amberdcox
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Im approaching one year since my big chop. Its on August 13th. I havent been taking my vitamins as I should, I think I will go pop one now.

I&#39;ve been wearing my hair out for a few days, and i&#39;m enjoying my afro puff. Its getting so big. I make sure not to pull tight, I&#39;m not worried about it looking slicked down.

I&#39;m getting close to shoulder length, I&#39;m not good at keeping up with measuring. I just eyeball it.

nu-curl
07-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey,

I will be joining this challenge. I have had a weave for a while, and am taking it out tomorrow, then going to the salon for a DC and a trim.... then a month later I will get another weave. That&#39;s my protective style because, honestly, I am in law school and have minimal time to do my hair... I&#39;m always reading (sigh) So... I will post on Saturday evening to let you all know what my length is.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE IN THE CHALLENGE!

;)

rhoglnn
07-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Checking in.

My longest which is the top of my head is 9". Still twisting it but now my broken edges are long enough to french braid into a twist at the end. I now feel my twists on the nape of my neck. I am so used to my headband that I keep smacking the back of my own neck. This is nice.

What I&#39;m doing.
prenatal vitamin
flax seed oil pills (they are huge)
two strand twist
Moe&#39;s Growth Oil every 2-3 days
Hawaiian Silky every 4 days

What I am getting.
1"/month :wub:

Alastri
07-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Checking in.

My longest which is the top of my head is 9". Still twisting it but now my broken edges are long enough to french braid into a twist at the end. I now feel my twists on the nape of my neck. I am so used to my headband that I keep smacking the back of my own neck. This is nice.

What I&#39;m doing.
prenatal vitamin
flax seed oil pills (they are huge)
two strand twist
Moe&#39;s Growth Oil every 2-3 days
Hawaiian Silky every 4 days

What I am getting.
1"/month :wub:
[/b]

Are you doing anything differently than previously to get an inch/month?

My hair is growing really slow. It&#39;s the healthiest it&#39;s ever been, but it&#39;s not growing any better :(

rhoglnn
07-18-2008, 01:30 AM
The biggest difference was wearing protective styles and the Growth Oil. My hair grows slow too. Most of my growth is thick, long will come but after much time. When I joined the growth challenge I had just mixed up a batch of oil. I also never wear my hair out longer than 1 day.

Now, you will see in some previous posts that this length is only in my fro-hawk area. My sides are still growing at the same on slow pokey rate. For my sides this month I decied to use oil every day. I will see how that goes. I wonder if my sides are just kinkier and I can&#39;t stretch it to length?

natural06
07-19-2008, 07:24 AM
I have had my twist and now I am doing my hair over today. The weather is so hot and humid I find myself no pooing every other day so I think I might put my hair in box braids and call it a day.

Alastri
07-21-2008, 04:48 PM
The biggest difference was wearing protective styles and the Growth Oil. My hair grows slow too. Most of my growth is thick, long will come but after much time. When I joined the growth challenge I had just mixed up a batch of oil. I also never wear my hair out longer than 1 day.

Now, you will see in some previous posts that this length is only in my fro-hawk area. My sides are still growing at the same on slow pokey rate. For my sides this month I decied to use oil every day. I will see how that goes. I wonder if my sides are just kinkier and I can&#39;t stretch it to length?
[/b]

My hair is the same! It looks a lot thicker to me, but no longer. My hair is looser and thinner in the back and of course that part grows perfectly :rolleyes: <_<

I&#39;m going to try and use the oil every other day. Even though I used jojoba it doesn&#39;t soak it up everyday. It makes my scalp itch like a mofo though. I hear the aloe does that to a lot of people....unless it&#39;s the herbs I used :unsure: I&#39;m going to try only putting the oil on my crown and see if that speeds up growth. My sides are already shoulder length. At this rate I don&#39;t think my crown&#39;ll make it. Gonna twist up later this week and maybe trim.

Don&#39;t know if the vitamins are helping my hair, but my nails are growing like crazy. DH was helping me take out my braided roots and he said my hair was really strong...so maybe they are helping?

GalaxyGirl2012
07-21-2008, 05:12 PM
My hair is the same! It looks a lot thicker to me, but no longer. My hair is looser and thinner in the back and of course that part grows perfectly :rolleyes: <_<

I&#39;m going to try and use the oil every other day. Even though I used jojoba it doesn&#39;t soak it up everyday. It makes my scalp itch like a mofo though. I hear the aloe does that to a lot of people....unless it&#39;s the herbs I used :unsure: I&#39;m going to try only putting the oil on my crown and see if that speeds up growth. My sides are already shoulder length. At this rate I don&#39;t think my crown&#39;ll make it. Gonna twist up later this week and maybe trim.

Don&#39;t know if the vitamins are helping my hair, but my nails are growing like crazy. DH was helping me take out my braided roots and he said my hair was really strong...so maybe they are helping?
[/b]
are you like my clone or something <_< i too have the mullet/fast growing nape issue :rolleyes:

so i&#39;m now on the horsepill bandwagon.. i&#39;m taking hair skin and nails pills from future biotics, MSN, b vitamins and making sure i eat something vitamin c when i take the pills.. by the way vitacost sells horsetail tea for like $2.50 a box.

my hair is in boxed braids and i dont know if the horsepills are helping, but my nails are stronger and growing faster.

tua05612
07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
It&#39;s been a few weeks so I&#39;m just checking in again. I&#39;m expriencing breakage due to stress, and a little abuse. But I finally got some more Oyin and my old vitamins so I&#39;m back on track now. I&#39;m at or past shoulder length stretched in the whole back layer. That middle section between the crown and the back is about an inch and a half or so from stretched shoulder length. My crown area is to the bottom of my ears now!!! and the front is creeping down my nose and eventually to my chin (I have to find an alternative to the puff as my default, it&#39;s keeping that front area shorter than the rest....someone help!!!

nu-curl
07-21-2008, 07:10 PM
So my hair is in layers...

On the sides it&#39;s to my chin, and in the back it&#39;s practically to my shoulders. IDK if I will be able to get the sides to grow that long by the end of the year... I guess we&#39;ll see.

amberdcox
07-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I&#39;ve been wearing my hair in a puff for a few days, but I just did some microtwists in the front and bigger twists in the back.
I really need to make a daily reminder to take my vitamin.

I probably am not leaving the house until friday. No seriously, I have a very important paper to do. If I do, I will just make a headwrap and wear that.

I haven&#39;t measured yet, I don&#39;t expect to be at shoulder length until around December. My hair doesn&#39;t grow very fast, I need a trim, and for some reason, I feel like my crown isn&#39;t growing at all.

The crown gets on my nerves so bad. Ever since I BC&#39;d, (I&#39;m coming up on a year August 13th), the hair in my crown seems dryer, more coarse, and frizzy.

rhoglnn
07-22-2008, 12:37 AM
I&#39;m going to try and use the oil every other day. Even though I used jojoba it doesn&#39;t soak it up everyday. It makes my scalp itch like a mofo though. I hear the aloe does that to a lot of people....unless it&#39;s the herbs I used :unsure:

OMG! I use a chinese hair stick to dig in there. I run the Moe&#39;s Growth Oil over the spots that itch. I would rather use a rake.

dimples_ga
07-23-2008, 12:07 AM
I&#39;m still in my twists. I&#39;ve done a few sets on dry stretched hair and like how it shows more length.

Alastri
07-23-2008, 12:55 AM
are you like my clone or something <_< i too have the mullet/fast growing nape issue :rolleyes:

so i&#39;m now on the horsepill bandwagon.. i&#39;m taking hair skin and nails pills from future biotics, MSN, b vitamins and making sure i eat something vitamin c when i take the pills.. by the way vitacost sells horsetail tea for like $2.50 a box.

my hair is in boxed braids and i dont know if the horsepills are helping, but my nails are stronger and growing faster.
[/b]

Yes, I mean ...m :unsure: :lol:

Why do you need the vitamin C? Will the nutrients not absorb well otherwise? and why the B vitamins? Currently I am taking 3 different multis (only 1 has vitamin K --1 serving I think, one is vitamin shoppes hair, skin, & nails---3 servings <_< , and the other is just a multi from Trader Joe&#39;s--2 servings), omega 3, and calcium. What ever happened to the good ole 1 serving (once a day) multis?!!

The crown gets on my nerves so bad. Ever since I BC&#39;d, (I&#39;m coming up on a year August 13th), the hair in my crown seems dryer, more coarse, and frizzy.
[/b]

ITA. Grr. Thicker too....adds to the lovely mullet effect.

cooyah
07-23-2008, 03:11 AM
Cooyah,

You already have shoulder length hair. You should go to a shoulderblade length challenge.
[/b]

But it&#39;s only in the nape area <_< My hair grows in the mullet do as well tsk tsk.

I won&#39;t claim full shoulder until it&#39;s shoulder length all around, sides, crown and nape.

I&#39;m aiming for March 2009 or by my 3 year nappiversary (july 2009)

Alastri
07-23-2008, 03:42 AM
But it&#39;s only in the nape area <_< My hair grows in the mullet do as well tsk tsk.

I won&#39;t claim full shoulder until it&#39;s shoulder length all around, sides, crown and nape.

I&#39;m aiming for March 2009 or by my 3 year nappiversary (july 2009)
[/b]

Hey, my 3rd nappiversary is June 2009! I really hope my crown is shoulder length by then. My nape is APL and my sides are shoulder length. Sigh.

Mangachan
07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I need bigger twists. these micro twists get single strand knots and I hate it.

Is anyone not trimming their ends?

[/b]

I haven&#39;t done full trims. I have done a few search and destroys though.

rhoglnn
07-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I did it. I dusted my ends.

When I would pull a a twist to see how long it was I realized that I was holding on to a few very long strands in each twist. I know I cut off an inch. :(

On the flip side my twists look sooooooo much better. Coils with no squigglies on the ends.

lea23
08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I would like to join this challenge as well (if I hadn&#39;t already joined) I think SL stretched is in my reach by march 2009, but time will tell.
anyway my hair stats:
(stretched)
front: top of my nose
bottom sides : chin bone
top sides: cheekbone (middle of face)
bottom back: neck
crown and such: middle of head

I have layers so I guess I hope majority of my hair is SL but if it is healthy that is even better
Regimen: I shampoo and condition weekly (with organix) and I cowash daily (some days i just rinse with water)
moisturize with qhemet&#39;s AOHC

that is it for now...I will update next in october ish...depending if I am fast cruising or not :)

boomslang
08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I&#39;m at another awful in-between length: the shaggy back of neck-almost SL length look. The back is longer than the crown, front, and bangs. Maybe it&#39;ll even out in the next six months. Thank God for shrinkage. I&#39;m wearing twists for the next year. Again. Sigh. Might break it up with some bantu knots. I wear the fro like once every 2 weeks. After I hit full SL, I don&#39;t think the length differences will be that apparent. My hair grows in layers and it keeps things interesting. So I will be SL by April 2009-at least college will keep me busy until then.

cooyah
08-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Hey, my 3rd nappiversary is June 2009! I really hope my crown is shoulder length by then. My nape is APL and my sides are shoulder length. Sigh.
[/b]

^_^ we shall prevail! I&#39;ve decided to do the Crown & Glory until at least Bra Strap Length