PDA

View Full Version : Another Wedding Clothing Question...

Beautifully Human
05-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey lovelies :D

So my friend is getting married at the end of May and her ceremony is at 12:30pm and the reception is at 6:00pm. My mom is saying that I will have to wear two outfits b/c of the time gap b/w the ceremony and reception. Is she right? :unsure: I already have a dress for the reception ( I wore it in 2006 to my cousins wedding so hope it still looks hip. But I like it and only wore it once so whatevs) But for the ceremony outfit I was thinking I could wear my pencil skirt and a nice dressy blouse? Whatchy&#39;all think? This means i&#39;ll have to purchase a blouse and potentially other accessories to match <_< I&#39;m thinking since my skirt is black I would like to wear a nice bright colour blouse. They have some nice green&#39;s and blue&#39;s out. I dunno. Opinions please? :)

Poetic_Butterfly
05-14-2008, 06:10 PM
I think that you are the right track, since the wedding is early afternoon and the reception is in the evening. I would love for you to post pictures of your outfits! :wub:

Peace,
Rasta

meagan22
05-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Would the dress really look soooo out of place during the cerimony? Is it a cocktail dress? A maxi dress? I guess I&#39;m just lazy, but I&#39;d try to avoid a wardrobe change because I know my azz wouldn&#39;t feel like it :lol: ; I&#39;d just keep the same dress and change the shoes, purse, and makeup for the reception.

bajanempress
05-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Out of convenience I would try to avoid a wardrobe change but I also know that because of the time gap, I&#39;d probably feel uncomfortable wearing the same clothes from noon till whenever the reception ends. I would go for the two outfits.

Beautifully Human
05-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah I&#39;m still partially thinking that maybe I should just wear the one dress. But I think i&#39;ll just do the two outfits cause the time gap is so wide. I&#39;m kinda irritated by weddings like this. Especially b/c I can&#39;t even go home (I live too far from the venue) I&#39;m gonna have to go to friends place to sit and wait and change for the reception. Anyway, The dress I&#39;m wearing for the reception could also work as a day dress and can be worn to the church but my mom was going on about having to wear two outfits thing so now i&#39;m like *sigh* fine <_< :lol: I&#39;m just mad cause I have to put more thought into planning my wardrobe for this wedding than I had planned. Oh well. Such is life.

Thanks ladies :) I&#39;ll post pics with results in June.

rlcarson
05-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Yep, I would definitely do two different outfits due to the big time difference between the two functions.

Personally I would shy away from black due to the season and wear <strike>white/ivory</strike> (couldn&#39;t think of a good neutral spring/summer color) with a nice summer blouse or a sundress that I could wear with the same handbag and shoes.

bajanempress
05-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Yep, I would definitely do two different outfits due to the big time difference between the two functions.

Personally I would shy away from black due to the season and wear white/ivory with a nice summer blouse or a sundress that I could wear with the same handbag and shoes.
[/b]

While I don&#39;t like black for weddings, unless specifically asked to by the bride, one should never wear white or ivory to a wedding.

amberdcox
05-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Bajanempress you are sooo right! I have a girlfriend that has worn white to 2 weddings and looked really out of place. Everyone else was wearing something colorful or a monochromatic outfit, and she had on a white skirt, white shirt, and silver jewelry. It just was really tacky to me.

2 outfits sounds like a plan to me. I would try to coordinate it around the same jewelry, shoes, and handbag though, so as not to pack to much stuff.

cristalena
05-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Personally I would shy away from black due to the season...[/b]

One of my best friends since the 7th grade is getting married on the 24th and I&#39;m deciding between two dresses...both black! I think I&#39;ve worn black to every wedding I&#39;ve been to. :lol:

I think the "rule"of black being taboo at weddings is more of a Southern tradition though. In the New York/New Jersey metropolitan area, women are always busting out their fiercest black cocktail dresses or gowns for weddings/receptions.

The "no-White" rule seems to be pretty across the board though.

bajanempress
05-16-2008, 02:18 AM
^^^^ The black thing is West Indian as well. To us black is for funerals, I was surprised to see so many women in black when I came to weddings up here. Whenever I get married I plan to ask ladies not to wear black because it looks way too somber to me.

gigglezk
05-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Bajanempress you are sooo right! I have a girlfriend that has worn white to 2 weddings and looked really out of place. Everyone else was wearing something colorful or a monochromatic outfit, and she had on a white skirt, white shirt, and silver jewelry. It just was really tacky to me.

[/b]

Did she not like the bride? :P

ThummyB
05-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I vote NO on the 2 outfits. This is the perfect example of having 1 outfit that can transfer from day to night.

I say to go with a simple base like a solid color dress. In the afternoon you want to dress it down w/a sweater or summer shawl, casual shoes/sandals and light jewelry. In the evening you can swap out the shoes for something more fierce, put on more of an after 5 jacket or wrap (or come out of the covering all together if the dress is fancy enough on its own), make your make up more dramatic, and dress your jewelry up.

This keeps you from having to actually change outfits, but still allows you to look appropriate in both settings.

Re. black, I vote NO to wearing it at a wedding...however, I have definitely seen it done very well at evening and formal weddings. Since your event is kicking off in the afternoon, though, I don&#39;t think it would be appropriate.

Co-sign on the absolutely no white rule.

Poetic_Butterfly
05-16-2008, 02:42 PM
I don&#39;t think that you should wear black to a wedding! I think that it brings down the mood of the event! :(

Peace,
Rasta

Beautifully Human
05-17-2008, 06:54 PM
@ Thummy good suggestion but I already have my reception dress planned out. At this point i&#39;d just rather find a simple outfit to dress up that I have in my closet or just purchase something new.

I&#39;m not really against wearing black to a weddng if its broken up with other colours. I dunno we&#39;ll see. If I can find a nice bright coloured blouse that is dressy enough to wear with my skirt to the ceremony I think I may go with that look and pair it with some nice accessories. If not then i&#39;ll just go with a different outfit all together and probably do a nice summer dress.