PDA

View Full Version : Minority Speech Paths

Blakbeauty83
04-07-2004, 01:57 AM
I don't know how many of you are SLP's or studying to be SLP's but how do you feel about being one of the only few minorities who work in this field, or studying to be in this field? I can count how many I know as professors and students! I don't if it is different in different areas of the country but where I was in CA and upstate NY at UB where I am right now..it is nil to none....I also work in the admissions area in my department and I also realize that black people do not really apply to this field..out of about 200 or so people I found like 3! So maybe it's not a discrimination thing so much as I thought before but more of a "no black people or any other people of minority are applying so it's not their fault who they accept"..NEways what are your thoughts on this...Sorry I rambled on 8)

aymst1
04-07-2004, 03:49 AM
Just because black people do not apply to your specific school does not mean that blacks are not interested in the field. I admit we are outnumbered, but that is the case with many professions. As far as how I feel about being one of few studying, I really don't care. Mine was the only black face I saw in many of my classes, didn't deter me one bit

elleebeme5
04-07-2004, 12:39 PM
There is a group called National Black Association for Speech, Language and Hearing (nbaslh.org). They may be able to provide support or insight for you.

No need to get upset; just recruit more minorities to the profession. Figure out why you chose it and use that help get more people interested. Good luck in your quest.

ValleyOfDecision
04-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Hey everyone, I'm not in SP, but the girl who started the topic is a friend of mine I helped turn back to nappiness :thumbsup . I don't think she's upset; I think she's more concerned about the lack of minority SPs in general. She attends the school I used to attend, and I know that the minority presence in that profession is real small. When I was there, I had a friend in the program and she was the only person of color in the program. I feel the same about my profession - we need more in there too. But we need more in graduate studies in general.

Sorry for :blah , just my $0.02. Y'all have a good day. :)

starchild
04-07-2004, 03:55 PM
I don't think that many blacks know about this field because not every school carry this discipline. Many blacks that I know either do computer or engineering. We have a program at my alma mater.

Blakbeauty83
04-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks for your responses so far...I just want to say that I am not upset at all..This was just a question out of curiousity that I had because a couple of the girls in my major always express concern about the lack of minorities in this field so I got curious and wanted to know if a lot of others feel that way also. aymst1 you're right that just because black people don't apply to my school don't mean they don't apply to this field hence the reason I wanted to know if it was different in other parts of the US. You're right we are outnumbered in many professions not just this one. elleebeme5, thanks for the site that you provided, I didn't know about it I'll definately will check it out... I just told my girl about the website and she is loving it right now! 8) Thanks VOD for the support :thumbsup! starchild you're right about not many people know about this field..most times when I tell people I'm doing SLP, they like "WTH?" So I know what you mean. Once again, I totally didn't mean to sound upset, I am totally the opposite as VOD can testify to :blah However, I do appreciate the input and keep them coming :)

elleebeme5
04-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Blackbeauty: I didn't mean to imply that you said you were upset; I was just encouraging you to be proactive as you embark upon your career. In re-reading, I see that I was wrote wasn't clear.

There have numerous posts on this board (and no doubt others) about the use of black dialect. I'm betting that many youngsters are not encouraged to go into speech therapy because the perception is that 'we' can't talk anyway.

Another site that you might want to check out: nsslha.org

Once again, good luck!

BestNatural
04-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Blakbeauty83@Apr 6 2004, 08:57 PM
I don't know how many of you are SLP's or studying to be SLP's but how do you feel about being one of the only few minorities who work in this field, or studying to be in this field? I can count how many I know as professors and students! I don't if it is different in different areas of the country but where I was in CA and upstate NY at UB where I am right now..it is nil to none....I also work in the admissions area in my department and I also realize that black people do not really apply to this field..out of about 200 or so people I found like 3! So maybe it's not a discrimination thing so much as I thought before but more of a "no black people or any other people of minority are applying so it's not their fault who they accept"..NEways what are your thoughts on this...Sorry I rambled on 8)
Hello:

Child it must be a God sent to have this on this forum!!! I am currently waiting to hear from two schools that I have applied to for their SLP program.
Long story short...I currently work in another field and this really was something I had been thinking about persuing.

What you said about their not being a lot of Black SLP is true for many reasons.
1. It is not a program that you find in a lot of Colleges and Universities.
2. As far as Black people entering this profession I think that it does not get the recognition that it deserves. People just simply do not know what it is! They (like I did at first) think it is for Accent reduction. Ofcouse...it is just one out of many aspects.
3. In general too I have heard stories of people who do enter the program and drop out for many reasons. Family, it is a tough program, etc. It is like a medical program in some regions of the country. :shocked I mean actually working with dead bodies.

I think we do need more Black people in this profession because a lot of the people who SLP's may work with are children in early intervention programs and literacy and "it seems" that it is our children.

AgentDime
04-09-2004, 01:02 PM
I am starting graduate school this fall for SLP. I have a family friend who is a SLP and there are not many of us in the profession, but thay shouldn't be a hinderance. We need to venture out amyway. I think I am going to enjoy this porfession. There is a lot of opportunity out there and many times African Americans and other minorities are affested more by speech impediments that others.

rejohn
04-12-2004, 10:02 AM
I filled out my application, got reference letters and transcripts, but I did not apply because it was only a full-time program (at LSU). They recommended that students work part-time, if at all. Quitting my full-time job isn't an option. I already had an AD in Educational Interpreting for the Deaf, along with an AD and Bachelors in other fields. I had an A average. I just didn't have the time to devote to it.