PDA

View Full Version : Is This Happening To Anyone Else?

simply natural
06-30-2008, 12:41 AM
....i still have this white-ish looking stuff under my nails when i scratch my scalp (this is right after a wash mind you). ive tryied to wash with baking soda and that lessens it (i guess if i washed with much more baking soda it would take it away completely) but i don't understand why its there in the first place. i wash with dr bronners peppermint soap and i usually twist with just oil (there's a braid n lock oil that i use...has a couple different oils in it - olive, jojoba, etc). when i wash i do it in sections and i get in there and get a good scrub going too a good while before rinsing. why won't this gunk go away? is this happening to anyone else? and is it normal?

Str8toFro
06-30-2008, 06:28 PM
I have this issue from time to time and all I can suggest is to do as your doing but longer. I realized that when that happens I need to wash twice. It happened just last week. I used my whole sample of a shampoo bar but I got that scalp clean. You just have to pay attention and really work on it. Build up was why I stopped locing the first time around because I didn't know what to do.

Also I found that Dr. Bronner's soap always left me with build up no matter what I did. So maybe that could be a problem to.

NaturalgurlAZ
06-30-2008, 07:38 PM
I have this problem as well.

I have to really pay attention to my scalp and get it clean. This is part of the reason why I chose braidlocs this time around because I was always retwisting my first set of locs because my scalp always had build-up on it. Rinsing my scalp in between washes helps a lot. Also ACV rinses as well.

I can't use Dr. Bonner's either. It makes the problem worse for me so I stay away from that stuff :P

Himanot
07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
I've also had that problem from time to time. I scrub and scrub, but I still have the problem. I can't use ACV, because I had an allergic reaction to it, so I try to use very little products and always rinse for a long time.

naturalcd
07-03-2008, 10:58 PM
I forgot the member who suggested this but washing with baking soda does the trick. I washed my locs with it today and my scalp feels nice. Also, sometimes I let some diluted shampoo soak in my hair, just so it can really penetrate into the loc and I massage my scalp with it in the meantime. If I have the time I will let it sit for 15, 20 mins. HTH

simply natural
07-06-2008, 01:19 AM
ladies thanks for your posts....for those of you who said that dr bronners makes the situation worse, what do you use to wash your hair. the acv and baking soda help my hair but should i be using just those, without soap/shampoo? can anyone recommend something to wash my hair with (preferrably something that smells nice) in addition to the baking soda? thanks.

naturalcd
07-08-2008, 11:34 PM
I haven't experienced any buildup with Dr. B's but, if you want, you could use 4 cups of warm water, 3 tbsps of baking soda, and a few drops of an essential oil that you like to smell. Lemon is nice with vanilla or lavendar with vanilla. Clove and fig are a few to mention as well.

simply natural
08-13-2008, 05:13 PM
ok so i've tried acv and baking soda and the baking soda really does the trick. my hair feels squeaky clean and that white-ish stuff is gone!!! ive stopped using dr bronners on my hair too so that may be helping as well. ive been washing with Nubian Heritage soaps actually. the combination of the soap and the baking soda are doing a great job.

NappiRouts
08-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Is the baking soda and ACV trick safe enough to use biweekly? Is it one of those things that if you do it too much it'll lose its affectiveness? Just wondering, if anyone could help answer that.

PrincessDrRe
08-19-2008, 01:20 AM
Is the baking soda and ACV trick safe enough to use biweekly? Is it one of those things that if you do it too much it'll lose its affectiveness? Just wondering, if anyone could help answer that.
[/b]
Naw.

As long as you spritz or use some EO - your locs will be fine.

ACV will take out buildup e'rytime. As for the Dr. Bronner's you can use it...but you do have to dilute it. Some folks use it straight. I've found that straight Dr. B makes my hair dry as heck and even leaves this whitish residue on the actual loc.

HTH.

ManeEvent
10-20-2008, 01:19 AM
I am glad I read this thread. I had the same problem too. My locs looked dull and my scalp was flaky after I washed with Dr. Bronner's soap. Then I used my Suave Clarifying shampoo and my hair had a sheen again and my scalp was clean.

Maryah04
10-20-2008, 01:13 PM
:huh: Hmmm...Dr. Bronners? I havent experienced this w/ Dr. B's. I use the lavender one. I dilute it A LOT b/c it is very concentrated IMO. Also I make sure I rinse completely for at least 10 good minutes. (I :wub: the way it feels). Are you pouring shampoo directly on your scalp? I stoped that too. I use a spray bottle or mix it well in a bowl and put in hands before applying to my scalp. HTH :D