PDA

View Full Version : I Got My African Ancestry Test Results Back!

Totallycool
06-30-2008, 06:46 PM
I am Equatorial Guninean! My great great grandmother comes from the Bubi people on Bioki Island! Finally, I have a connection and can learn some more about MY heritage before slavery!!!!!

britni
06-30-2008, 07:01 PM
That is great news! I can't wait til I get my test done. ^_^

Alastri
06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
how do you get a test done?

Hadasah
06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
That is so great! That's the kind of knowledge that I would never take for granted. I'd like to take a test like that; how much was it if it costed anything?
Anyway, congratulations!

Yellowtearhose
06-30-2008, 08:11 PM
I want a test!! I want a test!! This is too cool. :wub:

sunnysmile751
06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Which testing company did you use?

Poetic_Butterfly
07-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Congrats on finding out your true African ancestry! :D

Peace,
Rasta

Totallycool
07-01-2008, 05:43 AM
I used African Ancestry.com. They have the largest DNA database of indigneous groups in Africa. There are other DNA companies out there that will just give you your DNA sequence or just give you the percentage of how african, indian, and white you are, which is stupid cuz they never tell you anything specific.

The test was not cheap and women can only test the women in their family up to their great great grandmother. So I still have to test my mothers father and my father to find their origins because I have no brothers. But, that is much later. The test I took was alittle under $400. I still think it is worth it. Many AAs dont care about where they came from. I thought I would come up as west african. But, it turns out I am central african!

TheseRCurls
07-01-2008, 09:33 PM
That is great. What service did you use?

dtownjbrown
07-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Wait, how does this work again? It can only tell me my great great grandmother? That would be my grandmother's grandmother right? Well, I think I already know how that is (although I dont know her true heritage). According to the US Census and death certificates, she was born circa 1880 in Emanuel County Georgia. Ive been working on my family tree for a couple of years and was able to trace my ancestors using US Census records (I was able to find two people as far back as 1870). I wonder if I could talk my grandmother into getting one of these tests done.....now that would be a wealth of information - my grandmother's grandmother's grandmother...WHEW, just the thought of it :-)

jb

Totallycool
07-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Yes, women can only test the women on their moms side of the family. If you have a brother then he can test your mom and dads side of the family because of a chomosone not passed on to females. But if you want to know what came from where, it might be better to test seperately as a guy too. As a woman to get a more complete answer you would have to test yourself (same hertage as mom and her mom), your mothers mom and your father.

MariposaMorena08
07-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Congratulations on your results!!! For those ladies who are interested, African Ancestry usually has a small discount during Feb. for Black History Month.

starchild
07-13-2008, 04:35 PM
I have ancestory from there as well! Bubi from Bioko Island, along with Fulani, Hausa and Tikar from Cameroon.
Congrats!

mahsoul1
07-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Thats wonderfu!!!l. My sister and I will be doing this soon too. I too am thinking Central Africa is a possibility because the part of the US my ancestors were brought too. Could be west and most likely it will be...that'd be great too!

deedabug
07-18-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm going to order the test from AfricanAncestry.com on Monday. I can't wait to get the results.

Tierras
07-18-2008, 04:41 AM
I'm really considering trying this out. I've been thinking about it for a long time now, and I just have to get the money.. How long does it usually take to get the results back, anyone know?

And you know! A friend told me I looked Haitian just yesterday, and that made me even more eager to find out the truth, the roots. :)

Sacral
07-27-2008, 05:51 PM
African Ancestry (http://www.africanancestry.com/)

MariposaMorena08
07-29-2008, 01:16 AM
The results usually take 8 weeks. It seems like forever when you are waiting on the results though! As far as guessing where your family is from - that may not work. Before taking the test, I read that a lot of slaves to South Carolina came from Angola so I assumed that my maternal ancestor did too, but my oldest maternal ancestor came from Ghana. Other ancestors may have come from other parts though. It is such a blessing to "know your roots"!

Sunbubbles
08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
This is a very interesting topic. Im glad I found it!

eri cole
08-14-2008, 01:26 AM
i heard about the test on the tom joyner show one morning and was mad driving to work cuz i caught the tail end of it and didnt know all of the info. i think im wanna take a test too.

StolenRoyalty
08-14-2008, 11:00 PM
I too would be interested in finding out where in Africa my people came from. I've been told many,many times that I look Ethiopean (sp). The Ethiopeans are the ones that have told me this, but I dunno. I'm Jamaican and I heard that many of the slaves that were brought to Jamaica were of Ethiopean decent, who knows. I'm going to check out that test. But my grandmother on my moms side lives in England and I'm in the U.S. hmmm.

red_980
08-19-2008, 05:20 PM
None of my grandparents, great grandparents, etc., etc. are alive. Does this mean I can't take the test?

runrunrunner
09-01-2008, 06:33 PM
i want to do this so badly.

man oh man.

tahmin
09-09-2008, 01:58 AM
You and/or other living relatives (cousins, great-aunts/uncles - their children even) can take tests to find out your ancestry.

stefiebunni
09-20-2008, 02:16 PM
That's so cool^_^ I'm happy for you.I wish I could get mine done,but i'm too young :(

rabbiamitchell
09-21-2008, 09:54 PM
That is wonderful news!!!! To know where your ancestors are from is priceless. My family reunion talked about doing this this year with the oldest living member in my family which would be my grandmothers sister she is in her late 90's. I have been wanting to do this every since I heard about it on TV. I heard the test was over $5,000 so to hear that it was around $400 is exciting!!! I can't wait for us to get this done!!

purebodydetox
09-23-2008, 11:56 PM

LBellatrix
09-24-2008, 08:27 PM
My mom did this behind my dad's back...that is, she ordered the kit and they took the test but she didn't tell him how much it cost. He was MAD when he found out. :lol:

On my dad's side, I'm straight descended from the Balanta and Djoba peoples of what is now Guinea-Bissau. On my mom's side, all they could come up with was "Sudan (?)". They do say (or at least they did say) that their database isn't 100% complete.

sharynleigh
10-02-2008, 01:19 AM
My mom did this behind my dad's back...that is, she ordered the kit and they took the test but she didn't tell him how much it cost. He was MAD when he found out. :lol:

On my dad's side, I'm straight descended from the Balanta and Djoba peoples of what is now Guinea-Bissau. On my mom's side, all they could come up with was "Sudan (?)". They do say (or at least they did say) that their database isn't 100% complete.
[/b]

Hmmm, maybe we are related. My sister took the test and found that on my mom's side, we are descended from Guinea Bissau. We are waiting for my brother to take the test so that we can find out about our father's lineage.

Monqiue
10-02-2008, 02:48 PM
I am thinking of taking this test. But I have a quick question even though I think I know that answer already.

My great grandmother is still alive. Would I get more (or better) information if I had her take the test instead?

Because if she takes the test than we would be able to trace her roots to her great grandmother, Right? (that would be going seven generations back if you count me)

LadyBug13
10-25-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm thinking of doing this when I get up enough money to do so.

SweetHoneyLocs
10-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I am thinking of taking this test. But I have a quick question even though I think I know that answer already.

My great grandmother is still alive. Would I get more (or better) information if I had her take the test instead?

Because if she takes the test than we would be able to trace her roots to her great grandmother, Right? (that would be going seven generations back if you count me)
[/b]

If your great grandmother is your mother's grandmother then it will not make a difference if you or her take the test. However, if she is your father's grandmother-then yes it would make a difference.

kittysmith
11-19-2008, 11:23 PM
I have a question. i was thinking of buy a couple for Christmas, one for my dad, one for my mom. would this be ideal or would it be better just to do one myself. also i see the test for $300 but other DNA test online are cheaper. has anyone tried a diffrent one?

parisnappy
12-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I Have a question:
What do you when you know your african roots?
Learn about history of this country or go there or do nothing ?

SweetHoneyLocs
12-23-2008, 07:07 PM
I have a question. i was thinking of buy a couple for Christmas, one for my dad, one for my mom. would this be ideal or would it be better just to do one myself. also i see the test for $300 but other DNA test online are cheaper. has anyone tried a diffrent one?
[/b]

Since you are a woman then you could test either yourself or your mother, and the results would be the same. Keep in mind this for the mtDNA which indicates your maternal lineage country of origin. Test your dad would give you information about his mtDNA or yDNA, which is maternal and paternal.

I am not sure what test you were looking at the cost $300, this could have been for the admixture test. Which tells you your complete DNA makeup.

Try www.familytreedna.com or www.genetree.com, both have reasonable prices.

I Have a question:
What do you when you know your african roots?
Learn about history of this country or go there or do nothing ?
[/b]

Some people do learn more about the country or even make plans to visit. Others are really into learning their family tree, and this is just one method of unlocking that mystery.

Immaculette
01-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I am Equatorial Guninean! My great great grandmother comes from the Bubi people on Bioki Island! Finally, I have a connection and can learn some more about MY heritage before slavery!!!!!
[/b]
Equatorial Guinea is growing into a prosperous nation due to its oil. The largest group there is the Fang tribe. That is the only country is Africa where Spanish is the official language. I was looking into Equatorial Guinea as a good vacation spot.

Immaculette
01-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I have ancestory from there as well! Bubi from Bioko Island, along with Fulani, Hausa and Tikar from Cameroon.
Congrats!
[/b]
I've notice that a lot of black Americans are related to the Fulani and the Tikar tribe of Cameroon. Vanessa Williams from Soul Food is also from the Tikar tribe. A lot of Americans results either lean toward Nigeria, Cameroon, or Angola even Congo. I think majority of American ancestors came from Central and Southern Africa and not West Africa that many of us believe. I think. I took the mitochrondial test and when I received the results I cried. My maternal ancestry is Irish. I shouldn't have been surprise since my family have records and photos and it is indeed that my great-grandmother is white. Irish women with dark hair- typical.

ayalyrik
01-14-2009, 03:42 PM
I have wanted to do something like this for years but have been discouraged by both of my parents (more specifically my father) because from what we do know, there is a lot of ehtnicities mixed in there and the fear is that they will prove I'm not of African desent at all, and they know that would break my heart.

BlackAngelPlayah
01-30-2009, 05:42 PM
:wub: I've wanted to do this for YEARS!! But the $300 dollars is just too much for me to get away with paying right now.. But what I will do.. I'm gonna start saving up for the test. I can only get my mother's side of the family because my fathers side is small and I don't really know many of them and he's passed on.. But just to know SOME history would be great. Not sure what I'll come up with. I know there will be African.. There wiill probably be some Native American, some White... But it would be nice to have some SPECIFICS.. Especially since everyone keeps telling me I look Asian.. It would be nice to say yes or no to that. Have a real background.. Though I'll probably be like 50 before I can afford it! :lol:

:afro: Jen :afro:

SweetHoneyLocs
04-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Well I finally got the results back from when my Uncle took the test. He is the last male descendant of my paternal grandfather. Any way, his haplogroup came back as E1b1a and is the single most common Y-chromosome haplogroup among people of Sub-Saharan African descent both inside and outside of Africa. Which is mainly restricted to sub-Saharan Africa, where it reaches frequencies of over 80% in West Africa and observed at frequencies of 58%-60% in African Americans. However, there is one sad note. Currently there were no matches for my Uncle. This could mean one of two things : 1) he is the last of this line or 2) none of the matches have taken the test yet.

At first glance this tells me that my paternal grandfather side was straight out of Africa. Now I have to get my mom's brother to take the test and eventually one of my dad's sister (or one of the daughters from my dad's sisters to take the test). By doing this it will give my a bigger picture and better understanding for when I take the admixture test.

missalyssa
05-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Since my grandmother is still living, would it be better to get her tested?

Also how would you find out about your non-African heritage?

One more question, is this only for African Americans or does it work for anyone of African descent?

Lys

Immaculette
05-21-2009, 11:33 PM

One more question, is this only for African Americans or does it work for anyone of African descent?

Lys
[/b]

It works for anyone of African descent.

bonbonita
06-11-2009, 01:51 PM

[/b]

lol. For a second there my Jaw dropped. I thought you said "balanda people of the Sudan" because that's where I am from. though we are very very few in numbers now. a lot of us were sold into slavery (during the arab slave trade and possibly during the transatlantic slave trade). Our numbers now range from 40 to 70 thousand (who identify as sudanese). Can't be placed really. We are bantu in origin and can be found all over central and east africa in pocket groups that later on become part of other "tribes" or ethnic groups. But one place I can be traced to is the congo and kenya. The thing about African Nationalities these days, they are based on false european national boundries. So you will find ethnic groups from three different african nations who share the same culture, ethnicity...language etc. But now I am starting to think that maybe they are the same people.

According to wikipedia (not legit I know): Oral tradition amongst the Balanta has it that they migrated westward from the area that is now Egypt, Sudan, and Ethiopia to escape drought and wars. Today, the Balanta are mostly found in the south and central regions of Guinea-Bissau. But I am going to look more into this. Because I grew up made to believe that there is just sooo few of us. And it's really hard to trace our history as a people because of oral tradition and colonial meddling.

Most people of the Balanda ethnic group get excited when we "kind of" find one of us. Or I think generally speaking...it's an African thing. lol.

This was a jolt so early in the morning. lol.

ETA: The balanda dance looks just like the balanta dance. But I will show it to my mom for further approval. :P (It's even complete with the clapping and whistling...we abuse the whistle, imagine a gathering in suburban minnesota :lol: )
*sigh*

sunnysmile751
06-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Well Balanta sounds a lot like Balanda, and if they have a traditional story is that they migrated from GB, plus their traditions are the same, I'm inclined to believe there's a common ancestry there. What language do the groups speak? Ya'll might be cousins! :)

AzulBlue0204
07-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow! That is so exciting! Our identities were stolen from us, now we can reclaim them! This is powerful stuff. I just have to have this test done. I owe it to my African ancestors for sure! And once I find out who I am and where I came from, no one is going to take it away from me. I'll make sure my children know, and their children and their children.

MariposaMorena08
08-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Hi, sisters! And Balanta/Balanda cousins! *lol* As I said before, my mother's people are the Akan of Ghana, but my uncle has done the African Ancestry test for my father's side and we are Balanta from Guinea-Bissau. Yaaay! I am so excited to have this information.

Bonbonita, when you started your post I thought about the same thing - the oral tradition that the Balanta came from the East. Did you see that beautiful Balanta dance on youtube from the Senegalese Balanta. It is so hauntingly beautiful! You *know* my country tail tried it and, well, I'll need much more practice! *LOLOLOL* There is also a Balanta musician that you can watch on youtube named Keba Mane - I was speechless! I think that I read that the name "Balanta", meaning "those who resist", was given to them (err...us) by the Mandinka people so I think that it is a Mandinka word. Don't quote me on that!

LBellatrix, there is a book that has a lot of info. about the Balanta people - "Planting Rice and Harvesting Slaves". I thought that I would be able to check it out of the library, but that was impossible. It was not even available for interlibrary loan - I bought it used off of amazon.com.

Balanta people speak Graça and Portuguese. There is even a youtube video with the graça language but the video is of poor quality so you can't hear a whole lot. As you guys can tell, I am very excited and trying to learn as much as I can.

For sistahs with other ancesty, the African Ancestry test can reveal that. Your results won't be "null", but it will come back and say that your maternal ancestry is Native American, and I believe that it will tell you which haplogroup as well. I am of mixed ancestry as well, but I took the chance and am very happy. I wish you all the best!

SweetHoneyLocs
08-16-2009, 02:58 PM

Depends on which parent she is the mother to, for instance if she is your dad's mom. Then it would be best to test her, your dad, or any of his siblings. If your dad has already passed, does not have any siblings then it would be best to test her. If she is your mom's mother, then it does not matter. Because here mtDNA info is passed on to all her children and so forth.

However, it does not work the same way with men. Your paternal grandmother info will only be passed on (from her) to her children. Therefore, the mtDNA info passed onto your dad will not show up in you or your siblings. Furthermore, the ymtDNA is only passed on to the males.

You can take the admixture test, I believe. This will tell you what you are composed of in respects to ethnicity.

Depends on which site you use. If you use www.familytreedna.com it does not matter which ethnic group you belong to. If you use www.rootsbydna.com then you need to be of African descent.

Lys
[/b]

etifaim
08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm just lurking but wanted to say how happy I am for all of you who have found out some of your ancestry! :wub:

The Balanta/Balanda discussion is sooo interesting! I'm also willing to best y'all are cousins ;)

Sooner or later, I'll have my ancestry test done.

Cdeesnapps
08-20-2009, 10:57 PM
We're having a family reunion next year and this weekend I'm presenting this idea to our committee! I hope they go for it and test my late grandmother's brother and one of her sons for the paternal lines. We already know our maternal line since my great-grand mother was Native American, from the Choktaw Nation in Oklahoma. I'm so excited!

Nadiyah23
11-14-2010, 10:36 PM
I have actually got the same description from ethiopians as well. I am caribbean, I think it's because we are diverse group. I would love to take the test. I will wait for Feb