Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because certain responses i personally don't expect from vets. i mean come on, she says it's been months since she did it and it hasn't reverted....

there are many lurkers on this site many of whom assume that the amount of time you've been on the site/# of posts you have is an indication of your believability.

for every 1 person who posts a topic on how to get their hair to revert back after MONTHS of it not going back, there's probably 3-4 lurkers who are thinking of heat styling, reading this thread and thinking :icon_thinkerg: "i'll just heat style like mad and then i can pour beer and aphogee all over it when i'm done and it'll be alright...yeehawww".. i think putting false hopes in people's heads is just a little irresponsible, not to mention it's somewhat against the MO of this site.
    [/b]

everybody's hair is different. like i mentioned before, this has happened to me but i certainly didn't stress or worry about it (nor did i attest to the "beer solution"- obviously). YES it took several months for it to go back to the way it was, but it was still manageable and there was no need for me to cut it. I forgot about it and it just reverted back on it's own.

honestly, i feel that the responses on NP when it comes to hair are more exaggerated than it needs to be. That's why i typically keep my responses short on hair threads...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meh, it'll revert back. just give it some time and be patient
    [/b]
    We don't know for sure if it will revert back only because its been months. But I have used that flat-iron recently (EWWWW! I have never heard hair BURN-UGH!) but my tightly coiled 4AB hair coiled right back up-but I did it one time and got lucky.....However I agree with KB about NOT cutting or stressing over it.....

In your position, I would go back to your normal shampoo/conditioner, etc regimen, and wear protective hairstyles. Between styles, I would slowly dust or trim the ends, while keeping it clean/conditioned, and moisturized. Also use a gentle detangler product to prevent those icky tangles and go RIGHT BACK into a protective hairstyle....I did this when I was "transitioning".

So you are sacrificing wearing it "out" per se, but you can keep the hair protected at the very least and you'd be keeping some of the length as the newer nappier growth comes in!

As far as the lack of reversion, take the loss of your curliecues/nappiness for now and take control of your beautiful hair again! Protective styles like twists and braids MAY help....However we should all be dusting/trimming our hair regularly so you'll be clipping those ends anyway....But hold the shears for the BC if you can't handle it!
    Trust in God in all things....Even when it comes to your hair! I did:)

ccpalm is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote]
    Wow KB, you really believe that ?? I'm surprised at that response.

I guess my surprise with your response came because you're a vet, the knowledge that this board doesn't advocate heat, the fact that the OP shared this wasn't just a one-time mistake of using heat but something repeated over what some may consider a significant amount of time, and the fact that those who've been around for a minute knows this thread will be placed in the heat archive. As a matter of fact I'm surprised it's reached to 3 pages already....

It was not my intent to put you on blast. I honestly was shocked at your response based on the reasons presented. And yes, I too agree that many people exaggerate issues on any type of board. But for the sake of the OP I hope she finds the help she needs from the responses given and like I said before, "lesson learned". Everyone's hair IS different and what works for one doesn't work for all. You clarified what happened to you (this was the information I didn't know which also added to my surprise that's all). In any event, OP Good luck.....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i'm a vet that had severe heat damage in the past. and i only flat-ironed once a month. over time, my hair appeared to revert but it definitely wasnt the same-- wouldnt hold twists, wouldnt hold braids, etc. i would spend hours twisting my hair only for them to literally fall out by the end of the day.

i think that ppl are getting aesthetic and health confused. sure it may LOOK like her hair reverted back but is it healthy? if we are only concerned with blending it in, length, how it will look and not healthy napptural hair, why are we on NP?? there are plenty of other boards that have advice for the LOOK.

damn, i sound like dee.
    Self-Love Coach :: Middle School Principal :: Mama :: Wife :: Author :: Black Girl Magic :: Queer :: Priestess:: Beyhive :: Head Queen Bee

Insta | Facebook | Website | Twitter

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i'm a vet that had severe heat damage in the past. and i only flat-ironed once a month. over time, my hair appeared to revert but it definitely wasnt the same-- wouldnt hold twists, wouldnt hold braids, etc. i would spend hours twisting my hair only for them to literally fall out by the end of the day.

i think that ppl are getting aesthetic and health confused. sure it may LOOK like her hair reverted back but is it healthy? if we are only concerned with blending it in, length, how it will look and not healthy napptural hair, why are we on NP?? there are plenty of other boards that have advice for the LOOK.

damn, i sound like dee.
    [/b]
    :lol: You really do
    Where can you find me?
    Twitter: @TheDrIsIn2015
    On the Web: https://opinionsmusingsandreflections.wordpress.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds to me that if after months the hair hasn't reverted then it's permanently damaged. So I say either blend it in, trim it as it grows out or do a chop. Another cautionary tale to me.

fftop: @GG: the servers assign you a cookie when you log go to ID you. But if you log in at the same time as someone else, they can get confused and do an ID switch.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

As someone who works with hair

i think that ppl are getting aesthetic and health confused. sure it may LOOK like her hair reverted back but is it healthy? if we are only concerned with blending it in, length, how it will look and not healthy napptural hair, why are we on NP?? there are plenty of other boards that have advice for the LOOK.[/b]
    that is EXACTLY right on. Once the bonds have been broken, they've been broken. PERIOD no matter what they look like. So it depends on what is important to you OP; If you want your hair to just LOOK nappy, pour beer on it or whatever. If you want it to BE healthy and fully nappy, i'd recommend gradually trimming the dead hair as new growth comes in.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345