Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Suave Naturals Conditioner?

I've seen quite a few nappies swear by Suave Natural Conditioner (specifically Tropical Coconut) and so recently I was going to buy and try it but while at the store I checked the ingredient list and it contains two things that nappies should really stay away from; Propylene Glycol and Fragrance. I'm not really sweating the fragrance part as much but the glycol concerns me a little.

PROPYLENE GLYCOL (PG): As a "surfactant" or wetting agent and solvent, this ingredient is actually the active component in antifreeze. There is no difference between the PG used in industry and the PG used in personal care products.

For those who have used it in the past but no longer using it, have you seen a difference in your hair and vice versa?
    etsy.com/shop/bigGirlbigHair (my etsy shop)
    Public.fotki.com/0nmyjourney(updated 1/17/11)
    bigGirlbigHair.blogspot.com (updated 1/23/11)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, I keep missing the monthly memo that lets all nappies know what all nappies are supposed to use/stay away from...

I only cut down on regular use of Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut because I found that the type of protein in it (silk amino acids) didn't really work well for my hair. I still use it, but sparingly. Haven't had any problems...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    You know, I keep missing the monthly memo that lets all nappies know what all nappies are supposed to use/stay away from...

I only cut down on regular use of Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut because I found that the type of protein in it (silk amino acids) didn't really work well for my hair. I still use it, but sparingly. Haven't had any problems...
    lol i just so happen to catch the memo this month
    I try not to let these "list" dictate what I buy because everyone's hair is different and reacts differently to products. I just was curious because SO many nappies absolutely love it and seem to have pretty good results from it. I think I might just bite the bullet and try it
    etsy.com/shop/bigGirlbigHair (my etsy shop)
    Public.fotki.com/0nmyjourney(updated 1/17/11)
    bigGirlbigHair.blogspot.com (updated 1/23/11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I've used their products over time and the only reason I stopped is that they don't work as well for me. The conditioners do not have as much slip as I need, nor do they moisturize as well as I'd like. However, the conditioner that I DO use contains propylene glycol among other "bad" things. To be fair, I know that Dee has a list of "ingredients to avoid" posted on this site. These ingredients probably AREN'T the best for us, however, we have to make the choice concerning what WE want to use for our hair. Regardless of what happens, you have to use your own best judgement.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use suave naturals conditioner for co washing, regular washing and in addition to my deep conditioning and I don't see a problem. My hair is still soft and such. But then again I don't exactly understand what PG would do (because I don't have a car and after passing the chem regents I put those books to pasture lol).
    Been completely natural since: August 11, 2009

Living my life like it's GOLDEN
    "It was the natural thing to do. After all, I wasn't born with a straightening comb in my head."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the tropical coconut and it does fine in my hair! Never had a problem with it and I revisit every summer for co-washing!
    "Love is patient and kind, Love is not jealous, conceited, proud or boastful, it is not arrogant, selfish, irritable or rude. Love does not keep a record of wrongs. Love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth, Love never gives up , and its faith, hope and patience never fail. Love is eternal." - 1 Corinthians 13 :))

MoNappy28-Holla! http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff194/soulstar79/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Me! I liked it ,i have to get another bottle very very soon .I use it to prepoo and not for co-washes anymore for some weird reason.I stoppped using a while back and hid it some where ,and recently just found it again and decided to pre-poo with it.Works great just have to load a ton on.As for the PG i've been eyeing it i know its bad for us.But it hasn't done damage yet.Maybe its because i use it every 2 weeks than just every other day

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course propylene glycol is in anti-freeze, it's one of the chemicals that decrease the freezing point of water. Propylene glycol has many different uses (from industrial to cosmetic) and because of that, it's used in different concentrations. No you can't drink propylene glycol based antifreeze as a snack, but it is actually considered "non-toxic". The concentrations of propylene glycol in conditioners and food (because it is in most packaged foods) are much lower and they aren't going to outright cause problems. Chemically, the propylene glycol in antifreeze and conditioner are the same, but the concentrations make a HUGE difference. Just like the difference between dmdm hydantoin in v05 and the formaldehyde in a brazilian keratin treatment.

Here's an article about propylene glycol that I found very helpful:
    http://www.naturalnews.com/023138_pr...od_health.html

Propylene glycol is no worse than any of the other chemicals in our products (ex: dmdm hydantoin and other formaldehyde releasing ingredients, parabens, colorants, fragrance etc. etc.). Are any of them going to kill us outright? Nope. Is there a connection between these ingredients as used in the product and connections to many of the illnesses we're experiencing? Maybe, but I bet the food we eat and pollution that surrounds us is more of an issue. Is it a good idea to be aware of these ingredients and what they do, especially if a person has skin sensitivities? Most definitely.

I'm all for using the most natural products possible, but when you're making decisions about ingredients be as informed as possible and do your research.