Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hair Color and Nasty, crusty rash oh and some hair loss...Yuck!

Ewe... I ended up getting a nasty rash after coloring my hair last Sunday. What you're looking at now is the ashy remnants of what's left of the the rash. At first I just thought that I was pulling my braids too tightly into a ponytail cause by Monday afternoon, it hurt so bad that I took my barrette out. But just tilting my head back was painful, and I wasn't sure how a barrette could cause that much pain. By Wednesday I asked my mom to look at it cause it was still very painful, and she said she was seeing crusty looking bumps. Yuck. By Saturday, I was picking little black scabs off my scalp. This morning, I looked in the mirror and could tell that some of my hair had broken off right at the scalp just leaving a little peach fuzzy feeling. I now have two bald spots back there one a little bigger than the other. Doesn't look like it's getting any worse though.

I even have a few bumps and scabs down my neck and shoulder. What the heck?

I can only speculate that the dye did it. I do remember scratching back there and then stopping cause I didn't want to be breaking the skin before coloring. I also left the color on a little longer than the recommended 45 minutes because we were looking for shampoo. So maybe it was on 50 minutes instead of the recommended 45.

The only other thing is that I did use a different hair product that contains the dreaded mineral oil. So in retrospect, I'm not sure what caused this...the dye...leaving it on too long...or scratching my scalp before hand or all of the above or even the new product.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Should I be concerned about coloring my hair again? Although I have never had any sensativity to hair color, I know you can suddenly develop an allergic reaction when you've never had one before.
    Last edited by nappymehappyme; 12-27-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two possible culprits: does it contain ammonia? I stayed away from that when I dyed my hair. Also, since your dye is of a dark colour, you could possibly have had a PPD reaction. Nasty stuff. That's why I always at so called "vegetable" or natural dyes (save for 100% pure henna or indigo) because if it has PPD in it, it could cause as bad a reaction is a regular dye.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it can very easily happen even if you use the same brand and same color because difft batches are different.

use some aloe on your scalp and i hope it heels soon

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kari and GG2010 thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like I need to do a patch the next time. I forgot to mention that after I rinsed the dye out of my hair, I took off my gloves to finish up. The next day or so, my hands got really dried out, the skin felt really, really tight and shiny looking. Then it's like my skin suddenly burst and it peeled for days.

So weird cause I've NEVER experienced anything like this before.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allergic reactions sometimes take hours and even a few days to show up.
    My mom stopped coloring her hair about 3 years ago because it was causing problems with her scalp (bumps and scabs). I would stop using it because if you had an allergic reaction to it, the next one could be more severe and happen faster. If you do decide to use it again or any other color, definitely do a patch test and wait at least 24 hours for the results before doing your whole head.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no experience with this but I just came in to say I am sorry this happened to you NapiaMia

It def sounds like a reaction...you might want to get it checked out from a doctor since you are still experiencing problems to be on the safe side.
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow NM! I'm glad it wasn't worse than it is and that it didn't spread.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question... are you using a box dye?

I ask because I find frequently that store dye does funky things in general and I don't like it with natural hair.

I would look into mixing my own color and using a salon brand that you can purchase from the internet.

I find that the base peroxide is better and mixing your own colors gives nappy a more natural look ~W
    GET INSPI(RED)

You gotta be grateful you need haters
    What are you complaining about
    What do you think a haters job is
    To hate
    So let them do their job ~ Katt Williams

SO BE IT ~W

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question I hope you heal soon Napia Mia.... I have a question on this subject

Quote Originally Posted by watercolorz View Post
    I have a question... are you using a box dye?

I ask because I find frequently that store dye does funky things in general and I don't like it with natural hair.

I would look into mixing my own color and using a salon brand that you can purchase from the internet.

I find that the base peroxide is better and mixing your own colors gives nappy a more natural look ~W
    I was just going to ask about colors because I am thinking of coloring during the summer, but on my relaxed days I damaged and burnt my scalp/hair with colors. So my question is as a Natural should we color? if so what do we use to color?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    last fire cream: May 2009 BC: June 2009
    http://public.fotki.com/msantos99/

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." Mother Teresa

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sorry this happened to you. Sounds to me that it was probably the hair dye. I remember reading of several women that have had extremely severe reactions to hair dyes. There faces swelled so much that they could not even open their eyes

In future please do a patch test first
    My Fotki

Why are you trying so hard to blend in when you were born to stand out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast