Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to only two family reunions as a young adult: one on my mom's side and the other on my dad's side. Never again. To this day, I see why neither one of my parents talk to their own family. The family (and the parents themselves) are interestingly nutty.
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel you Intellexual. My family could have been the next Johnson& Johnson or the Hilton's if we learned how to stick together, trust one another, stop being in competition, lend a helping hand...the list goes on. I actually stopped going to my family reunion (mother's side) which is held every 3rd Sunday in August. The gatherings started to turn in to what she 'aint got, my son is better than yours, I can't believe ya'll still together, and so on...

However, I have never been to the all weekend family reunion in South Carolina (dad side). My younger sisters have been and they said they had a good time but if I ask them if they have any numbers of kin folk, they wouldn't be able to tell me.

Family 'aint what it used to be.
    Last edited by empowered; 09-22-2010 at 03:34 PM.
    Make every moment, a teachable one.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom side of the family have one every other year. I love them, its fun and they are awesome people. In chicago around 2004, over 500 relatives showed up and it was awesome. We always have fun. We rented a bus one year that took the northeast part of the family to East St. Louis and we had a good time. Always

My Dad side, I went once and never ever ever been back. They have balls that cost 200.00 just for the ticket. Oh and you need a gown so don't forget the gown. To register it's 125.00 for adults, just so you can go. Huh??? No

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never anything legit, cause my family likes to keep close, either by visits or by phone. even w/ extended family. unless you consider things like meeting up for thanksgiving and Christmas "reunions"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom's side has one every year in VA, since I have never really lived there I don't know alot of the distant relatives. For a good period of time growing up, my mom would go by herself simply because its cheaper than buying plane tickets for 5 people. However, when we did go everybody knew us (even though we couldn't remember alot of them) my family is very inviting so it was fun getting to know people. I think I have been to 2 more since then. Always hot, tons of seafood and barbeque, and food in general. Tons of games and TONS of people. But its always fun and makes for great stories

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never knew my "father." But my mother's side has annual reunions. They can be rather interesting but very clannish just because of how they're structured. We trace of family back to Henry and Mary Shaw. Mary Howard, according to family history was half white having been fathered by the master's family and was a house slave who jumped the broom into wedded bliss with Henry while still a slave.

If I recall correctly, they raised 14 kids something like seven actually had children. Some were born before the civil war and some were born after the civil war. A few were not her biological children but belonged to her sister who died during child birth. After the war, they migrated from Tennesee into the Topeka, Kansas/KC Kansas area and from there all over the country.

Seven of the these children actually had children and it's through these seven that we trace our lineage back to Henry and Mary Shaw.

Each of the seven represent a clan. I'm a decendent of the Tennie Shaw clan. My mom was never raised by her mother and was passed around from one relative to the next. One of the women that raised her for awhile was Tennie Shaw. Since all the other kids called her Aunt Tennie, that's what she called her too.

It wasn't until my mother was in her 60s that she found out that "Aunt" Tennie was actually her grandmother. I find this incredibly fascinating.

Anyhoo, my mom was eventually adopted outside of the family.

She also was united with her biological mother around this time too. That's when we became acquainted with her half sister, and her three boys — my first cousins. We knew about them, but they didn't know about us. Secrets...secrets I'll tell ya.

This is also when the rest of the Shaw decendants set their sights on finding the lost "Tennie" Shaw clan. Apparently they'd been holding reunions without us for about six years or so.

They found us and we've been attending the Henry and Mary Shaw reunions ever since.

My mom loves them. I think it's because she was adopted out of the family and never really felt she "belonged" anywhere. Me? I can take them or leave them. Mostly because they're cliquish and people mostly congregate within their own clans. Our immediate family is small and unless the reunions are held in our hometown, most of my family members don't attend and I can feel really left out. No fun. Also, I don't really care for my brothers all that much it that makes it hard to have fun as well. Somebody always gotta be evil and difficult so screw it.

I sometimes travel with my mom out of town to reunions but don't really get a big kick out of it.

However, they can be quite an event when they're done right. Meet and greet the first evening. City tours and other events on Saturday. Picnic and banquet on Sunday evening for those that can stay.

If my first cousins would show up, I think I'd have a better time. But they never come either.
    Last edited by Napia Mia; 03-18-2011 at 07:59 PM.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I attended a family reunion for my maternal grandmother's extended extended family when I was a kid and don't remember much about it. I didn't know them at all and was too young to really interact with anyone.

I am currently planning the first family reunion for my maternal grandmother's immediate family and have invited people going back several generations. It is in July and everyone is excited about it. I just want it to go smoothly. I know as the coordinator that I won't have much time to get to know people, but I just want my grandmother to enjoy herself. 3 days should be a good chunk of time for people to get to know one another.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess now my mom's side is supposed to be having one next year or something.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bump************

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned