Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom's side has a annual reunion but it's the same thing every year. At first I would meet people for the first time, but as time has passed only the same people show every year and most people stick to the people they already know. I haven't gone to one since the one before my mom passed on 2006. She made it her mission to have all her kids and grandkids show as if she knew it was going to be her last time attending. I actually had a good time like when I was younger back in the day.

My dad's family had one about 2 1/2 years ago and I saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in a long time and quite a few for the first time. I had a blast there as well. The reunion was in my hometown on the old homestead that my great-grandparents settled when they first came to Texas in 1912. If any of you don't know anything about small towns, all you have to say is "we having a..." and all your in town friends, your cousins' friends, friends of the family, and friends of friends will show. (I've been know to crash a couple reunions myself so I'm not complaining) So we had a blast with our cousins and friends and everybody acting like we've been kicking it for years. The plan was to have a reunion every two years but I don't know what happened this past year. I know that some of the main planners experienced some set backs and illness so I guess no one thought to pick it up for them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a reunion every two years. I have two this year, my dad's father's side is in Louisiana and I recently started to go to this one and getting to know this side of the family. We also have one here in Houston and this is my dad's mother's family. We are currently working on the final arrangements since we are the host city.

We are working on the welcome packages. Does anyone have any ideas on what we could put in the welcome packages? Want to do something different.
    [I][COLOR=Blue]I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence. [/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=Blue] ~Frederick Douglass

[URL="http://members.fotki.com/Dnicky/"]My Fotki[/URL][/COLOR][/I][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Red]Updated 11/09[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DNicky View Post
    We have a reunion every two years. I have two this year, my dad's father's side is in Louisiana and I recently started to go to this one and getting to know this side of the family. We also have one here in Houston and this is my dad's mother's family. We are currently working on the final arrangements since we are the host city.

We are working on the welcome packages. Does anyone have any ideas on what we could put in the welcome packages? Want to do something different.
    Yeah, i know we usually will get a declaration from like the mayor or some public official recognizing our reunion but that more so goes on the banquet program. Mmmm oh we usually go to the visitor place that every town has and get different pamphlets about poplar attractions and things to see in host city. We also get little things like fans, key chains, cups and stuff like that from famous local business.

For example when we had the reunion in ATL since the peanut is a state crap we had ga peanuts in the bag, we info on underground, discounts fro Six flags, pins from the ga visitors bureau, little things from the world of coke, stuff like that.

We also had separate bags for the kids that had a ga coloring book, and little games, candy and stuff.

But you should really be able to get everything you need for the bags including the bags themselves for free. Start with the vistors people in the town first.

HTH

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions!
    [I][COLOR=Blue]I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence. [/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=Blue] ~Frederick Douglass

[URL="http://members.fotki.com/Dnicky/"]My Fotki[/URL][/COLOR][/I][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Red]Updated 11/09[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time my mom's side of the family get's together (usually at funerals these days) I see new faces I didn't know. The last time I came across a set of creole speaking brothers and learned that there have been Chinese people living in Haiti for generations.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    Every time my mom's side of the family get's together (usually at funerals these days) I see new faces I didn't know. The last time I came across a set of creole speaking brothers and learned that there have been Chinese people living in Haiti for generations.

I did not know that. Wow.

I was shocked when I learned that there are Chinese people in Jamaica, too.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mother's side of the family has been getting together annually for reunions for at least 48 years now. When my great-grandmother was nearing the end of her life, we met every year in Va since it was not easy for her to travel. Since her death, someone different hosts it in their city every year.

Some come faithfully, some come and go and some have just gone MIA. Some painful family secrets of the past are the reason for some of this and I'm not sure how to reach out to the fold and grab these back in.

The Baltimore crew is hosting in Columbia Maryland this year and our agenda includes a family picnic with steamed crabs, an evening get together with card playing, board games and catching up at a cousin's house and a family redition of 'The Wiz".

Each host gets starter funds to secure deposits and arrange for hotel arrangements and we set family dues to help with costs.

Many cousins have joined Facebook so that's a cool way to keep in touch until we see everyone in the flesh come Aug. 2010.

Different topic re: Chinese in Jamaica: My college roomate's father is Jamaican who is half Chinese. That's when I first realized that there was a Chinese population down there.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My father's family had one some years ago...my mother's side haven't had an official one, since my mother is the only one in California. I know 'more' about my mother's family and am closer to her side...could it be because she is the oldest and it's five sisters!? *smile*
    I met my Daddy's people and for the most part 'got a clue'! lol there are definite Gorden traits! lol lol
    I think we will be having one officially on my Mother's side since most of the Cali folks ( my sisters and brothers) have moved back to Tennessee/Mississppi...Roots!!! lol
    I like them..but you should be prepared for stuff you didnt know and may not have wanted to know!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went to my family reunion for the Labor Day weekend and it lasted for five days! It was fantastic. It was held in Southern Maryland at my cousin's home and we do a campout/cookout reunion where everyone pitches a tent on the property and we enjoy family, food, and friends. First year there were about 18 tents and this year we increased to about 25 (with many people upgrading tents this year to include showers, ac for the hot weather, and heaters for the cool nights. Looking forward to next year!

for pics (Bourne-Jackson-Barnes-Rice Campout/Cookout Reunion on Facebook)
    Last edited by fbj355; 09-21-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added text

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My family just had one, over Labor Day weekend. It was for my mom's dad's family & it was the first one they'd ever had. I met a whole bunch of family that I had never met before, which was nice. Overall it was an enjoyable weekend & we had a great time.

One nice thing that they had were these charts to show how everyone was related.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast