Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to pick a good conditioner for conditioner only styling

Leaving in any old conditioner doesn't work for me. I used to try things that I thought would work but were hard to detangle my hair with, or dried crunchy or white, or made my scalp itchy, or left my hair a dry frizzy mess.

Teri LaFlesh's book gave me the best tips on selecting a rinse out condish to leave in. I already knew from my own experiments:

watery condish = disaster
    strongly scented condish = irritation and itchy eyes
    anything with methychloroisothiazolinone preservative = itchies like crazy (it is a known irritant and I can deal with it in rinse outs but I can't keep it in my hair)
    fatty alcohols are good.

Her recommendation:

You need to look for a weight ingredient, a slip ingredient and a sealer in the top 5 listed after water (or herb infused water). Ideally they should be listed in that order.

The ones on her website tend to have that M preservative in it or really strong scents, which are no-nos for me.

But so far I have found the following work really well for me (soft, moisturised defined hair)

Uncle Funky's Daughter Richee Rich (even though it dries a bit oily)
    Darcy Botanicals Pumpkin Seed conditioner ( not as slippery as I would like but do-able)
    Mark Anthony's Strictly Curls (contains cones but detangles like a dream and dries wonderfully)
    There's another in the under the sink stash that I'm going to try out this weekend. I'll keep adding to the list.
    "The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Rushkin

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of all the ones you listed, which do you like the best? Ive never heard of Mark Anthonys , is that strictly located near you?

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.marcanthony.com/

It's a drugstore condish. Great bang for the buck. 13 oz for half the price of the 8oz Richee Rich.

I just googled and it turns out that he's a Toronto celeb hairdresser...so maybe it is only available in Canada? Hold up, the link says the products are available in CVS and Rite Aid so it is available in the US.

Anyhow, the ingredients for Strictly Curls are:

Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium chloride, Behentrimonium chloride, Stearyl alcohol (these first 4 are weight, but they may be equal to one primary weight ingredient - her book says she has come across this), glycerin, Amodimethicone, dimethicone, cyclopentasiloxane (all these are slip and the silicones are sealing), Soyabean lipid, shea butter, sunflower seed oil, aloe barbedensis extract, Pathenol, tocepherol acetate, DMDM hydantoin, parfum, citric acid, phenoxyethanol.

Hair combed so easily. Dried soft and sheeny and not greasy. Definitely a winner. I am not a cone-a-phobic as I low poo regularly - and the xane cone evaporates on drying anyway. Hangs around just long enough for me to comb my hair and then it is gone.

For results and value for money I would have to pick this one first.

Richee Rich a close second..fairly slippery because it has a lot of oil, but it does dry oily.
    DB was okay. As in, it works and I can keep it in my hair without issues, but it really didn't have the slip I was looking for and it was struggle to get it worked into my hair. I had to keep adding more and misting with water constantly.

One problem that I experience with the "natural" leave-ins is that they just don't have the slip. The slippery ones are very high in glycerin or marshmallow, linseed, which is greate for detangling but not substantial enough to give my hair definition and keep my hair moisturised for the 3 or 4 days that I need. Considering the amount of condish needed to make this work, they are not really very economical. I guess since I am saving on a styling product it might make sense...

On the other hand, a lot of drugstore condishes are very slippery, but tend to be ridiculously strongly scented, not weighty enough, use that M-preservative and can have nasties like sodium chloride lurking there. Hence my search.
    Last edited by coilycurly; 06-08-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    "The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Rushkin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding another good one - Live Clean Moisturising Conditioner. Light scent, moisturising, slippy, silicone free, paraben free and vegan. And best of all, available at the drugstore for 6.99. No itchies at all. Got compliments on my hair today!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coilycurly View Post
    Adding another good one - Live Clean Moisturising Conditioner. Light scent, moisturising, slippy, silicone free, paraben free and vegan. And best of all, available at the drugstore for 6.99. No itchies at all. Got compliments on my hair today!!

hmmmm...I may have to try this!

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info. If I get around to wearing a puff on wet hair this summer I'll know what to look for in the ingredients.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy