Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lafoule View Post
    * BUMP *

I didn't want to start a new thread , so I thought i'd tag on this one.

What are people's experience with their partner who is Caucasian and doesn't really have any knowledge or experience with hair, aside from it being straight ?

I never wear my hair loose, I just can't handle it being in my face, I just want it up and out of the way. So, i always wear finger coils, but I plan to dread my hair very soon. I have asked him several times if he minds, and he has said no. (Also, he says he loves my hair, which still shocks me a bit every time he says it, but it a good way of course.) But I am worried he is just saying that to make me feel better. As with all choices regarding my / his body , it's our choice. If he wanted to be a skin head or grow his hair out whatever I'd be supportive either way. It's just because he just really has no experience with anything besides straight hair, i worry that he will react negatively to it, especially in the first year were it's going to look a bit rough and ready.

I don't think it would become a really burning issue, but i don't want him to be cringing inside when he sees me ( we have a LDR).
    The majority of the men I dated since going natural have been Caucasian and my husband is Caucasian.

He really doesn't care much about my hair. He'd rather focus his attention on golf and beer and computers.

Seriously though, we've discussed this and he said that he's never been around any white men who seriously think more than two seconds about black women's hair. An ex-boyfriend of mine said that as well. If he wanted a straight-haired woman, he could have gotten a white woman (or Asian, Hispanic, etc.)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by lafoule
    * BUMP *

What are people's experience with their partner who is Caucasian and doesn't really have any knowledge or experience with hair, aside from it being straight ?
    I've dated and had relationships with a couple of white dudes while permed, TWA, faded, various stages of loced etc. It has never been a problem. I'm sure by now your man has seen a locked woman before. If he hasn't said anything negative at this point it's a pretty good indication that it's not an issue for him. As usual we tend to overthink what white folks think about our hair.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bf is white and we met when I still had a twa. He's dated plenty of black women, but I think I'm the first natural. He's seen my twa, twists, twist extensions and also experienced the extension take down He likes my hair no matter what.

Now, when I told him I was going to loc he was a bit apprehensive. He believed locs weren't washed, yadda yadda yadda. Didn't really care what he thought and I loced anyway. I think I've changed his impression of locs, although he still thinks most of the locs in pro sports are fake.
    My album

password: gemela

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234