Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dreadful Mistakes? You are not alone

Hi All,

I just found this video, and thought it would be useful to others at the beginning of there journey....

Looking back at my journey my key mistakes have been:

- Retightening too tightly when I did my second reti by myself. It resulted in a headache that lasted 2 days.
    - Thinking my locs should look like someone elses just because we both had sisterlocks.
    - Latching locs together. Takes a second to do and 15 mins to correct.
    - Thinking I had to do what everyone else did with their locs. I hated banding and braiding but thought I had to keep doing it as that's what your meant to do with sisterlocs, right? Nope, I stopped banding and braiding a year ago. I did have a little slippage, but my locs haven't suffered cause of it. And I now wash them more frequently, as its very easy to do.
    - Worrying that my hair was not progressing quickly enough. But I know as my hair is soft in places it may take a while.
    - Worrying about my locks are not neat, as I've never had them groomed.

I now just let my hair do its thing, and don't worry as much because at the end of the day locs are locs. They will all mature at some point. Worry about them or fussing with them doesn't help.
    Sisterlocked date: 09 Nov 2009
    Blog & Albums: www.huntresslocs.com
    Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/HuntressLocs
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/huntresslocs
    Challenges: 1 Year 1 Product Started-Nov 2009 - Finished Nov 2010- Shampoo with T/Gel once every two weeks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting this. It's helpful. I will soon hit my one year anniversary and I have made some mistakes and learned from them, namely interlocking and too much comparing my locs with others.

I am entering a new phase of letting my hair do its thing, learning to trust in the process and loving my hair for its uniqueness.

Thanks again!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome! OMG, this couldn't have come at a better time for me! Thank you for posting this video!
    Dance to your own song:

B Natural
    C Sharp

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interlocking to often and to tight. I lost all of my first set because of it. Never again! I freeform now.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aah that was very helpful especially with the twisting. I was guilty of that over doing it and unfortunately I did lose some locks. Now I do not even bother I am like the first young lady. I just accept those fuzzy roots and keep it moving. Very informative thanks a million for putting this out. :-)
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my early days my mistake was to try to untangle latched together locs with scissors, I was being impatient, it did not always work, snipped off a few locs that way.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This video and thread should be helpful to a bunch of newbies. I know for me over twisting was a problem (started at twice a week for 2 to 4 weeks or so). I've latched locs together that ended up having to be snipped apart. I've been very lucky though and have not lost any locs, and now I'm a semi-freeformer so it's all good.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    In my early days my mistake was to try to untangle latched together locs with scissors, I was being impatient, it did not always work, snipped off a few locs that way.
    I did this and let un-qualifed folks do my hair (which also includes me not being certain in what I wanted and communicating that to these folks).

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mistake-well the big one-cutting my dragons. In the beginning I took all the advice I read without questioning it and cut off the branch of a lock when i joined it with another. The next time I washed the thing fell off in my hand. The cutting disturbed the matrix of the lock and it unraveled and fell apart, at my hairline. I sewed that jocker back up in there and have NEVAH touched a dragon again.They're all up in my head now, let em be I say, let em be! lol!

Lesson learned:

Question once, question twice, research it for yourself then do what's best for YOU!

nexus is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mistake was being impatient with my hair. Despite being 18 months into the process my locs still can't cope with frequent washing, moisturising shampoos & conditioners or not braiding and banding. I have learned to accept my hair has to work to it's own timeframe & that trying to rush the process only slows down progress.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast