Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is "Transitioning" Cheating? When Going Natural

hey everyone i havent posted up a discussion topic in a little bit so i thought i would post about this topic. let be real, everyone has their own opinion on whether or not people should transition for a long time [long time meaning like a year or two maybe even 8months] so that you dont have to worry about having a TWA and instead and skip right to collar bone or something around there, or should you just get it over with and do the BC.
    the reason for this discussion topic is because today while on the phone with a friend she asked is transitioning "cheating" and i said no, because if you dont want short hair then you shouldnt do the BC. along with all the drama that comes with the BC. i see it this way, going natural is already a big step so when you go natural and you pretty much have no hair your really going to get looked at in a different light and if you dont have that confidence to make people be like "hey your hair looks cute short, i wish i could rock my hair like that" then maybe a BC isnt for you lol. in other words i feel that its all about preference, if your used to having long hair you might wait longer before you BC but if you dont mind like me, then just go on ahead and get it out the way.
    we didnt really get into a big conversation on whether it is cheating or not i kind of just gave my thoughts on it and that was pretty much the end of it and we started talking about something on a whole different topic [yall know how we do when on the phone lol]
    so i want to know your HONEST and when i say HONEST i do mean HONEST opinion on wether or not you think Transitioning is cheating.
    if you think it's cheating, i want you to say HELL YA ITS CHEATING and why, if you feel like NO ITS NOT want u to say so and why. because i think this is something that gets a lot of transitioners caught up, because some people say you should wait a while others say you shouldnt and then their sitting there looking crazy like i dont know if its bad if i cut off my hair now or later.

with that being said LET GET THIS CONVO STARTED
    No redirecting traffic

2. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me my personal belief its cheating I believe in building the foundation and going up from there yes I hate how short my hair is right now but I really want to see the real me and once you let go off the fear of what other people feel about you it will all be alright. everyone has there preference mind is my fro I love having an afro my dream is to have a big giant red afro!

4. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah it's not cheating. "Going natural" is something one is n the process of doing. "gone natural" is something that's been done already. So for me transitioning (it's the ing really) means something that one is in the process of doing.

Without all the semantics though, I still don't think it's cheating. It is as the OP stated, a preference. If you know you can't handle the short hair, that it's going to make you uncomfortable, then by all means transition for as long as you want. If you want to do the BC and jump right in, do that.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how it could be considered cheating. Whether you BC or transition, you're not putting any more chemicals on your hair, so what's the difference? Your new, natural growth is thriving just the same, whether or not there are still relaxed ends attached.

Now, a transitioner is not yet fully NATURAL, because she still has relaxed ends, while someone who did the big chop IS now fully natural. Is that what you mean by "cheating"?

~~C~~O~~T~~T~~O~~N~~C~~R~~O~~W~~N~~

“The beauty of a girl can’t be mimicked, fabricated, or created by human means. It only occurs naturally.” ~~Pam Callaghan

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ladyscorpian14 View Post
    For me my personal belief its cheating I believe in building the foundation and going up from there yes I hate how short my hair is right now but I really want to see the real me and once you let go off the fear of what other people feel about you it will all be alright. everyone has there preference mind is my fro I love having an afro my dream is to have a big giant red afro!
    not saying ur wrong or right just getting the conversation going, what if they just dont like short hair??? do you feel like they should just get over it and BC anyways. if yes that's fine but why?
    No redirecting traffic

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell yeah it's cheating if a transitioner is claiming to be natural when they still have relaxer in their hair. A transitioner is a transitioner is a transitioner.
    Stand For Something, or You'll Fall For Anything
    BC 5/23/09
    loc journey 9/6/10

http://members.fotki.com/Chocodoll/

9. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Somewhere in Ohio where tornados are almost null and void
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's cheating. Everyone has to start their journey somewhere, and each journey is unique. Whether you hold on to the training wheels (which is what i did) or just have the courage to jump straight in with no inhibitions (Which I did not), it's all a unique journey to you and you alone. Some of us have to crawl before we walk. Some skip crawling and walking and go straight to running! LOL

You can build a strong foundation by transitioning, because you still learn about your hair in various stages. You learn about the different textures, and patience is a big lesson you learn when you transition. I would hate to chop it all off and end up hating how short my hair was. Why put myself through that? Some people need to take it slow, and take the time to transition their mind along with their hair. When some people jump straight into the BC (which I also think is the start to a beautiful journey) they leave themselves with no other choice but to accept what they have (if they haven't already done so) Would you rather have someone feel insecure because they bc'd, and put in braid extentsions because they were uncomfortable? or have someone transition and love their hair, whether is was shorter or longer, and not go for that option, because they took the time?

In the end, there are two types of people (there may be more! LOL)
    -The women who choose to transition before they bc
    -The women who choose not to transition before

Both of these types have completely different journies, and it's selfish to say it's cheating, because that just tells me that someone thinks my journey during my transition wasn't as important, significant, or inspiring as theirs.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with either choice. But i don't beleive transitioning is cheating.
    Sorry for the long rant. :P

11. Thanks frolife, Intellexual thanked for this post
    Likes juniormints74, KreativeKoils liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CottonCrown View Post
    I don't see how it could be considered cheating. Whether you BC or transition, you're not putting any more chemicals on your hair, so what's the difference? Your new, natural growth is thriving just the same, whether or not there are still relaxed ends attached.

Now, a transitioner is not yet fully NATURAL, because she still has relaxed ends, while someone who did the big chop IS now fully natural. Is that what you mean by "cheating"?
    i agree with u

and what she meant by cheating is the simple fact that they dont have to deal with the short hair and once u do bc u have long hair right off the bat. she feels like u should have to go through the short hair part of the journey and then grow ur hair long
    No redirecting traffic

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocodoll View Post
    Hell yeah it's cheating if a transitioner is claiming to be natural when they still have relaxer in their hair. A transitioner is a transitioner is a transitioner.
    lol well if they are trying to claim full natural yea its misleading thats for sure ive seen plenty of youtubers that get busted up for having those long stringy ends and calling their selfs 1 years natural we be like u a damn lie lol
    No redirecting traffic

Somewhere in Ohio where tornados are almost null and void
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocodoll View Post
    LOL yea! I agree with this point. I never told anyone i was natural. I always said I was GOING natural! When I see a transitioner saying they're natural they get a question mark from me (not that it's any business of mine, maybe they're natural at heart?)

15. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast