Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not cheating. Do what works for YOU.
    Dance to your own song:

B Natural
    C Sharp

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get how someone would be cheating? For someone to have "cheated" that means that most naturals are concerned with length by your logic and that is simply not the case. There are people who purposely wear their natural hair short, just like there are people who purposely wear their hair long or about average length.

I'm not going to lie to kick it, I do sometimes give long term transitioners the side eye - the ones who have 8 inches of natural hair and 2 inches or scraggly permed ends that they are holding onto for dear life all in the name of long hair. But even still, I don't believe they "cheated" for doing a long transition because length isn't a priority in everyone's natural journey. If someone wants to transition for 6 years before they are "comfortable" with their natural hair, no they aren't cheating but I do question why they feel like they need a ton of nappy hair to feel comfortable...
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

3. Likes Dolliesdaughter liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AfroIsland View Post
    I don't think transitioning is cheating because I think that it requires an amount of patience and skill that BCing does not require. The word "cheating" implies that somethings easy and I would say that transitioning is anything but that . I also don't understand how having short/no hair signifies being more connected to yourself if the hair is yours anyway . I BC'd down to 1 inch of hair, and although I loved every step, if I had to do it again, I would try to transition for at least a over a year. Also a couple of my hair idols transitioned for 2 years+ and they retained insane amounts of hair while doing it.
    what people dont realize is that just because u transition for a long time it doesnt mean that your going to lose length, as long as u take care of your hair its going to grow the same
    No redirecting traffic

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialGT View Post
    easy way out.
    to each their own
    LMFAO @ "easy way out"
    No redirecting traffic

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms-gg View Post
    I don't get how someone would be cheating? For someone to have "cheated" that means that most naturals are concerned with length by your logic and that is simply not the case. There are people who purposely wear their natural hair short, just like there are people who purposely wear their hair long or about average length.

I'm not going to lie to kick it, I do sometimes give long term transitioners the side eye - the ones who have 8 inches of natural hair and 2 inches or scraggly permed ends that they are holding onto for dear life all in the name of long hair. But even still, I don't believe they "cheated" for doing a long transition because length isn't a priority in everyone's natural journey. If someone wants to transition for 6 years before they are "comfortable" with their natural hair, no they aren't cheating but I do question why they feel like they need a ton of nappy hair to feel comfortable...
    gggiirrlll i be giving them all kinds of side eye when they have 8-9 inches of natural hair and just 2 of permed i be like really???? ur kidding right??? u know u look crazy right, but am i giving them the side eye because i think their "cheating" or taking the "easy" way out... NO but i am giving it to them because they look a mess, and are having to do way more work to their hair then they have too and i know they know its true lol. and i totally agree when u said "but I do question why they feel like they need a ton of nappy hair to feel comfortable" and i only feel that way when they have 8-9 inches of natural and just 2 of permed like that just dont make no since to me but hey its not my hair lol
    No redirecting traffic

7. Likes Dolliesdaughter liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I guess I have to be side-eye #3, because I don't get this either. You can't cut 2 little inches of hair? Really? Really! 2 inches shouldn't make or break your length. But to those who had long relaxed hair (BSL+) and transitioned, I have to give extra kudos to. I love natural hair only a tiny bit more than I love long hair, so I know that giving up so much length would hurt my soul. Although the end result is the same, I think that it's one thing to go natural because your hair is damaged, but it's another to do it because you simply want natural hair.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it could be considered cheating if they are flat ironing their roots to still look relaxed
    9 months in transition bc 1-09-09 http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/ebonyb/hair/
    5.5 inches streched 7-01-09GOAL 7.5 inches 1-09-10

http://bd.lilypie.com/M4Cxm6/.png

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocodoll View Post
    Hell yeah it's cheating if a transitioner is claiming to be natural when they still have relaxer in their hair. A transitioner is a transitioner is a transitioner.
    I agree with this but even still I'd just call them a liar, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by naybesa View Post
    what people dont realize is that just because u transition for a long time it doesnt mean that your going to lose length, as long as u take care of your hair its going to grow the same
    Growth and length are not the same. You hair is going to grow regardless of your length or style. So if someone wants long hair now or at the moment they BC then saying "it going to grow the same" really doesn't mean anything to them, LOL.

And yeah you do lose length. I was a long term transitioner and when I cut my relaxed ends off (more than a few inches) I lost length. You could go from hair at the bottom of your neck to hair at your ears...that would be considered a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by AnaisKarim View Post
    I cannot imagine occupying my mind with such thoughts. The friend needs a hobby.
    Right. Unless someone is just flat out lying then who cares if the next women BCs 1 month or 13 months post relaxer. There is no nappy bible that says "thou shall BC down to a 1 inch TWA."
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My honest opinion: When I saw the title of the thread the first words out of my mouth were ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME??? Meaning: Has it really gotten to the point where the Soul Patrol is going to claim that the only AUTHENTIC way to go natural is to BC and wear a TWA? Is it really that serious?

Then I took a deep breath and read the rest of the thread and stopped when I saw this:

Quote Originally Posted by chocodoll View Post
    Hell yeah it's cheating if a transitioner is claiming to be natural when they still have relaxer in their hair. A transitioner is a transitioner is a transitioner.
    Okay, technically it's not that they still have relaxer in their hair; it's that they still have relaxed ends, but anyway...I have seen women (on other boards) claim their natural life started the day they stopped relaxing. That's misleading, not cheating. Until all the relaxed hair is removed they are still transitioning.

Cheating implies that there's only one right, authentic way to go natural...and this is exactly the kind of natural Nazi attitude that reasonable people need to fight against. Either that or flat out ignore because it's ignorant...
    For 2016: Still keeping it simple...with an occasional surprise here and there...

12. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like if a person has 8 inches of natural hair and like 2 inches of relaxer still left and they don't want to cut it then who cares? Whatever makes them comfortable. Why do people walk around trying to examine other people's hair? Their transitioning for themselves, not for everybody else.

Let me find out we got the natural hair police walking around giving long transitioners tickets for not cutting out the relaxed ends on other people's time.

I transitioned with braids for almost a year and had probably like six inches of new growth and decided to finally cut the relaxed ends off because I got tired of the two textures...but everyone is different.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast